Create Account

Vratislav Zbyněk's Promising Off-Season

Vratislav Zbynek’s Promising Off-Season

When Vratislav Zbynek was taken 17th overall in the S33 SMJHL Draft, the Mammoths front office wasn’t 100% sure what they were getting. Would his work ethic be high enough to be an impactful player? Would he show enough dedication to his new team? Would he produce at the SMJHL level? All of these questions were answered in what was a positive rookie campaign. Zbynek put up decent numbers through his first season, chipping in with 6 goals and 14 assists. Not exactly what you would expect to see from someone who’s scouting report described them as “an offensively gifted winger who has a knack for getting to the open space and finding the back of the net.” This didn’t seem to faze the kid though. “Yeah I went through some pretty bad dry spells where it probably looked like I was aiming for the logo on the goalie. It gets scary when you’re labeled as a sniper but you have a sub 5 shooting percentage. Your mind starts to wonder. You’re thinking that maybe you should change your style, change your game, but then right before playoffs I just thought to myself that all I have to do is be confident in myself and my shot and good things will happen.” It became quite evident in the playoffs that the Czech Republic born right wing had found his scoring touch for the first time in North America. Although his Mammoths lost in six games to the eventual West Champs Kelowna Knights, Zbynek managed four goals in those six games which led the team. “Obviously I was upset about our early exit from the postseason, but if there is one thing I learnt that year, it was that you can’t just dwell on the negatives. You need to focus not solely on the negatives and look at the positives that came out of those situations, and that’s what I did. I knew at the end of the playoffs last season, that I would be a different player come next season.” Teammate and captain of the Mammoths S34 squad Zinaida Titova had the following to say about the change in Zbynek’s play in the regular season compared to the playoffs. “He was more driven, knowing that every shot was needed to get a goal. A fire was lit underneath his ass to do his part in trying to bring home the cup”
[Image: 600x400_Pastrnak_Action_vsFLA.jpg]

And then came the SHL Draft. The night every young player dreams of. Mock drafts had Zbynek as an early to mid second round selection. Not a single one had him going 8th overall to the West Kendal Platoon. “I was a little surprised that I went that high, but not as surprised as most of the other people in attendance, players, fans, media, all those guys had me past 8th but I had talks the GM there and felt really good about the team and thought in the back of my head that I could be taken with that 8th overall pick.” Although there was mutual interest between the two parties, what made West Kendall so interested in a player that wasn't even expected to go first round? "There were a lot of great players in the first round, but by the time it came to our pick it was clear we were going to take Zbynek.” Said Bojo, the West Kendall GM. “ Not only was he the best player available, but we've heard nothing but positive things about him. We like taking chances on newer player rather than recreates as they usually bring a fresh wave of energy to the team, and so far he has done nothing but be super cool and active which is all we can really ask for a player in the first round."
With this high selection suddenly came added pressure that Zbynek hadn’t felt yet. “I was the third player the Mammoths had taken in the S33 Draft so I didn’t feel much pressure because they may not have expected a whole lot from me that year. But when you’re the first pick a team makes in a draft, you know that they had you high on their boards for a reason and you don’t want to let management, your new teammates, and the city (or in this case, town) down.” This was one of the main reasons that Zbynek had such a huge offseason of growth. The gym became his new home as the condo he was renting in Colorado had to take a back seat to the place that would help him transform from lanky European kid, to the 6’4” machine that he is now. He was also on the ice everyday improving everything from his puck handling, to being responsible in his own end. New Co-GM Timo Haas had high expectations for the sophomore after seeing the work he put in in the offseason. "At the very beginning of the process we knew that Vratislav was going to be a big part of our lineup. He brings a special set of hands to the ice. He's one of the purest scorers in the SMJHL. We feel like with his time on the ice and his partners in Zinny and Teddy, Vratislav can be one of the deadliest players in the entire league. I feel like any one of our first liners could lead the league in scoring. They are all extremely talented and Vratislav is definitely the one in that group that can rip it into the twine. He's a killer forward with a lot of potential. We feel really lucky to have him in Colorado. He is the type of player that could set records in the Mile High City. The first line has looked really good this year and I feel like with more time to gel and more looks on the powerplay Vratislav and his linemates will tear up the SMJHL. I don't really think anything can stop these three." said Haas. All of this showed when Zbynek was tied in the team lead for points with veteran linemates Teddy Kesler and Zinaida Titova with 29 in 25 games. He was also 2nd in the league in goals with 15, and led the S34 SHL Draft Class in goals and points. “Pre-season was the moment where it all really came together for me. The gruelling workouts, endless skates, terrible tasting food. For those moments of success it was all worth it and this was just preseason. I can’t wait to see what real success feels like when we win the Four Star Cup. That is the moment I am longing for.”
[Image: 3-NHL-Draft-.jpg]

If there was any doubt about Zbynek after the preseason, it was quickly put to rest after he continued his scoring craze into the regular season. With 5 goals and 4 assists through the clubs first 8 games, he is already just one goal away from the mark he got to last year, and on pace to reach over 56 points and 31 goals.
The future is always unknown, especially this early into a new season, but if the Mammoths continue to improve throughout the season, there may just be an Ice Age beginning in Colorado.

[Image: ddc7e22bc1ae4ff1b4d854a6aa7a6dfa-30a4567...c0cf-1.jpg]

Word Count: 1092