Create Account

Limit Ice Time

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@May 12 2017, 01:14 PM
It would be almost impossible to try and enforce that as the sim sometimes just plays players.

I do think there should be a limit, especially when there are forwards playing 28 minutes a game.

There are 2 realistically enforceable ways, in my mind.

1) Cap ice time percentage in lines. Don't allow teams to play any forward on 5v5 for more than 40% TOTAL. Including double shifting. Defense more than 50% (realistically defensemen do have more average ice time).

2) Place a cap on endurance as if it was a weakness from an update standpoint. Forwards endurance maxes at 85, Defense maxes at 90. Numbers may take a little bit to get perfect, but that's the idea.

Honestly I prefer the second option. I think it's a quick and easy way to guarantee an ice time limit. No matter how much you try, if the endurance isn't high enough, the sim won't play them.
Endurance caps make a lot more sense than a minutes fix.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Muerto@May 11 2017, 10:56 PM

"This trend is promoting the use of "star" players over creating good opportunity's for people who may be newer to the league."

He used it as his primary argument against it, give me one example of a newer, active player on the Rage who is not getting an opportunity.

Teams are not concerned with the depth of their squad and we're falling away from a realistic hockey simulation.

he used that as a primary argument aswell.

now, you're right that nobody on the rage is not getting an oppurtunity now, but its not just the Rage hes talking too.

I was for the endurance caps for awhile now. However, I am not sure how much endurance really effects a build. I used 85 endurance until i had everything else capped, didnt really notice a change when I got it to 90.

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Ohtaay@May 12 2017, 12:03 AM
I was for the endurance caps for awhile now. However, I am not sure how much endurance really effects a build. I used 85 endurance until i had everything else capped, didnt really notice a change when I got it to 90.

It would definitely take some testing to get good numbers. I'm not entirely sure how endurance is effected by competition. Obviously SMJHL players still have to play as much as SHL, but with way less endurance. SMJHL players usually top out at about 70, which if that translates to SHL, you could just take endurance out of the adjustable attributes like you do durability. Endurance starts at 70 for everyone, and it can't be upgraded. Maybe for defensemen it's 75 or 80.

It would definitely need some testing, but that's my personal favourite solution.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

You could just say the top 3 lines and top 6 d need to be different players (e.g. only 4th lines can be double-shifted players) and cap the % ice time of any 1 player to say, 40%, of ice time allotment

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

No.

Star players are supposed to play more. This makes no sense.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@May 11 2017, 11:07 PM

It would definitely take some testing to get good numbers. I'm not entirely sure how endurance is effected by competition. Obviously SMJHL players still have to play as much as SHL, but with way less endurance. SMJHL players usually top out at about 70, which if that translates to SHL, you could just take endurance out of the adjustable attributes like you do durability. Endurance starts at 70 for everyone, and it can't be upgraded. Maybe for defensemen it's 75 or 80.

It would definitely need some testing, but that's my personal favourite solution.

Endurance is way to important to be capping at 70.

Seriously why are people trying to continually fuck with shit.

Quote:Originally posted by Mr. Deplorable@May 11 2017, 11:13 PM
No.

Star players are supposed to play more. This makes no sense.
Do you see crosby playing 28 minutes a game

if endurance worked properly this wouldn't be an issue smh

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Samee@May 11 2017, 11:16 PM

Do you see crosby playing 28 minutes a game

This is a simulation league, not the fucking NHL.

We have never limited ice time, to do so now is asinine.

I do agree that forwards playing 28 minutes a game is ridiculous, but I would like to see what the % is of EV, PP, PK.

Taking a look at Big Z's career, he has played 18786 minutes in 806 games, or about 23.31 minutes/game. But when you break it down it looks like this

Even: 13628 minutes= 16.91 minutes/game or about 72.54% of the total ice time
PP: 2528 minutes= 3.14 minutes/game or about 13.46%
PK: 2630 minutes= 3.26 minutes/game or about 14.00%

Keep in mind for a majority of his career Big Z has been a first line center, and first on PP/PK. But as you can see over a quarter of his ice time is in PP/PK time..

One outlier was his season in EDM, he played nearly 25 Minutes/game, almost 85% of that at even strength, but EDM that season was a low penalized team.

Another underlying factor to playing time is penalty minutes, Big Z career average is 1.31 penalty minutes/game (though this stat isn't quite exact as not all penalties are completely served).

Now looking at VLAD, he has a career average of .64 penalty minutes/game. Less time in the box, means more time on the ice as well.

[Image: BUzKbLn.png]

[Image: 5p7vOwY.png]  |  [Image: NA3IV5m.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Mr. Deplorable@May 12 2017, 12:19 AM

This is a simulation league, not the fucking NHL.

We have never limited ice time, to do so now is asinine.

That means people want to see fair competition too. Everyone wants a fair crack at the scoring title, but someone who plays on a deep team getting 20 mins a game doesn't even have half a shot against all these guys playing half the game. There should be fun in the scoring race, especially among the top players on each team, but that's not the case. It's not fun to watch.

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@May 11 2017, 10:27 PM

That means people want to see fair competition too. Everyone wants a fair crack at the scoring title, but someone who plays on a deep team getting 20 mins a game doesn't even have half a shot against all these guys playing half the game. There should be fun in the scoring race, especially among the top players on each team, but that's not the case. It's not fun to watch.

Examples. Raven Silverwing and Jaxson Reynolds. Both had 50 and 51 points on deeper teams playing fewer minutes. If these two had their time cranked up by nearly 9 minutes they'd more than likely be at 70-75 points.

McZ is still the cream of the crop for scorers. But his P/20 shows he's not nearly as far ahead as he is than these guys. He just plays too much.

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

If you want this to stop turn fatigue on.. ? I don't see this being fair to players with endurance as a strength. IMO

Doubt is a dream killer

Quote:Originally posted by sarmo@May 12 2017, 12:30 AM
If you want this to stop turn fatigue on.. ? I don't see this being fair to players with endurance as a strength. IMO

Get rid of it as a strength option, let them pick another and move any tpe. It's an easy fix.