Create Account

Limit Ice Time

Quote:Originally posted by gfridge@Nov 1 2017, 10:25 PM
Jesus fucking christ this thread.

There's clearly concern and a trend surrounding double shifting.  The reasons for it are irrelevant.  Whether it's advantageous is almost irrelevant.  The fact of the matter is that it's at least tenable (because STHS allows it) and it's proven enough success that people are trying it.

Whether this is a root problem or a symptom of another problem is irrelevant.  It's having an impact on the league meta -- contracts, the number of available slots on a team, and the "start" of a new player's career.  Players and GM's alike have expressed concern (in high numbers based on this thread) that they don't want to be in a league where 6F is a thing.

So let's start with 9F as a rule, starting S39.  What do we lose from that?  That guarantees that there will be at least 126 forward slots in S39.  Right now we risk moving closer to a lower limit of 84.  This has implications for SHL and SMJHL players alike (and tweeners).  This gives everyone ample time to draft, mentor, and sign the right players/depth to field a responsible lineup on opening night.

This also gives us time to identify what TPE level someone contributes at.  I'm at ~600 TPE and 72 OVR.  Big Manious is at 81 OVR and is our top defenseman.  I feel like the non-linear nature of TPE:OVR tends to make us worry a bit much about this.

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again, putting the word "should" next to numbers about players' experience with the league is what helps us solve this problem.  Something like "It should take X seasons for a player to contribute on line Y at the SHL".  600 TPE was me being super active (never missed Activity Check/Trainings/PT's) over 2 seasons in the SMJHL.  For someone to come in and contribute at the SHL level after 2 pretty active seasons seems solid to me.

Also, we need to cut the shit with the argument over not guaranteeing matchups.  Yeah, sometimes your F10-12 will be matched up against someone's F1-3.  That happens in real life too.  The fact is that if we have rules in place, it'll happen equally to everyone.  Right now there's a huge asymmetry where some people's F10-F12 literally is their top line and of course you're gimping yourself by playing with "depth".

Are there valid concerns about a 400 TPE player only putting up 5 points in 10 minutes a night at the SHL level?  Absolutely.  You know what's a greater evil?  Putting in 0 points in 0 minutes at the SHL level because their SHL team is rolling 6F.  I would've gotten really fucking impatient watching my player sit in the SMJHL at 350 eTPE because I wasn't needed in the bigs.  If we don't stop doubleshifting we get closer to that, even if it's not happening 100% on all teams.

/thread

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Quote:Originally posted by gfridge@Nov 1 2017, 05:25 PM

Are there valid concerns about a 400 TPE player only putting up 5 points in 10 minutes a night at the SHL level?  Absolutely.  You know what's a greater evil?  Putting in 0 points in 0 minutes at the SHL level because their SHL team is rolling 6F.  I would've gotten really fucking impatient watching my player sit in the SMJHL at 350 eTPE because I wasn't needed in the bigs.  If we don't stop doubleshifting we get closer to that, even if it's not happening 100% on all teams.
just responding to this cause the rest of the post is completely valid and the rule change is doable and probably the best option going forward.

Winnipeg, the example you are using, is using 6F BECAUSE their forward prospects CHOOSE to stay down. You chose to go up because you wanted to play in the SHL, and had I made that same decision, Winnipeg would have accommodated me.

Other than that though, yeah this is pretty /thread

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Wasty@Nov 1 2017, 01:48 PM

You can guarantee matchups if you’re playing against the same 6 players every time you play against a team. It’s not hard to see that there is a good chance a 3rd line on a depth team might play a 3rd line of a double shifting team and see the discrepancies in skill level. Why are you planning on a speculation? Like you assume a 3rd line of actives will turn inactive if they have to move up but it’s been proven that that isn’t the case, most people turn inactive after countless seasons of just training and always saying “bank this tpe”  and always playing as a 350 player with 300+ banked tpe just waiting.. that’s 3 seasons of just training for banked tpe, that to me is more boring than ever playing a depth role and fighting for a better spot. Being a rookie IS hard in any league.. why are we coddling them and making it easier for them?
Bojo asked for possible downsides. That is a possible downside. Not saying I think it is likely or anything.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by gfridge@Nov 1 2017, 04:25 PM

There's clearly concern and a trend surrounding double shifting.  The reasons for it are irrelevant.  Whether it's advantageous is almost irrelevant.  The fact of the matter is that it's at least tenable (because STHS allows it) and it's proven enough success that people are trying it.

Whether this is a root problem or a symptom of another problem is irrelevant.  It's having an impact on the league meta -- contracts, the number of available slots on a team, and the "start" of a new player's career.  Players and GM's alike have expressed concern (in high numbers based on this thread) that they don't want to be in a league where 6F is a thing.

So let's start with 9F as a rule, starting S39.  What do we lose from that?  That guarantees that there will be at least 126 forward slots in S39.  Right now we risk moving closer to a lower limit of 84.  This has implications for SHL and SMJHL players alike (and tweeners).  This gives everyone ample time to draft, mentor, and sign the right players/depth to field a responsible lineup on opening night.

This also gives us time to identify what TPE level someone contributes at.  I'm at ~600 TPE and 72 OVR.  Big Manious is at 81 OVR and is our top defenseman.  I feel like the non-linear nature of TPE:OVR tends to make us worry a bit much about this.

I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again, putting the word "should" next to numbers about players' experience with the league is what helps us solve this problem.  Something like "It should take X seasons for a player to contribute on line Y at the SHL".  600 TPE was me being super active (never missed Activity Check/Trainings/PT's) over 2 seasons in the SMJHL.  For someone to come in and contribute at the SHL level after 2 pretty active seasons seems solid to me.

Also, we need to cut the shit with the argument over not guaranteeing matchups.  Yeah, sometimes your F10-12 will be matched up against someone's F1-3.  That happens in real life too.  The fact is that if we have rules in place, it'll happen equally to everyone.  Right now there's a huge asymmetry where some people's F10-F12 literally is their top line and of course you're gimping yourself by playing with "depth".

bravo.gif

Another issue is teams that play less players are rewarded with more cap space due to signing fillers at 500k. Players above 700 tpe require a $3,000,000 contract. These contracts add up fast when signing players for your 3rd line or 3rd defensive pairing. Again everybody could just play 10 skaters currently... that is in no way good for the health of the league and teams that do this can offer players higher contracts.

End phone rant :lol:

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

So, when is gfridge getting into HO? Soon? Kid's got chops.

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Nov 1 2017, 06:50 PM
So, when is gfridge getting into HO? Soon? Kid's got chops.

As soon as he finishes that sim engine.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Beaujeaux@Nov 1 2017, 07:06 PM

As soon as he finishes that sim engine.

Smile) he's the savior we need, not the one we deserve

Quote:Originally posted by gfridge@Nov 1 2017, 05:25 PM

you so smart gfridge

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

[Image: 355SUsi.png]

Any feedback from the HO?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Nov 1 2017, 05:19 PM

just responding to this cause the rest of the post is completely valid and the rule change is doable and probably the best option going forward.

Winnipeg, the example you are using, is using 6F BECAUSE their forward prospects CHOOSE to stay down. You chose to go up because you wanted to play in the SHL, and had I made that same decision, Winnipeg would have accommodated me.

Other than that though, yeah this is pretty /thread
Its not even worth it, sorry I quoted you. Nothing is going to change.

[Image: horvat3.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Slowpoke@Nov 3 2017, 01:19 PM

Its not even worth it, sorry I quoted you. Nothing is going to change.
o

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Samee@Oct 31 2017, 05:17 PM
<a href='index.php?showuser=1273' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Elyk</a>
hi
hi

I never figured my player would be such a focal point of discussion lol I can post be more active if that's what people want :unsure: I've tended to just stick to the discord as of late