Create Account

Official Beer Thread

Quote:Originally posted by Ghostspeed@Jun 21 2017, 09:28 PM

But dnL,
That's what I'm after...What do you drink now, just craft brew? Your palate never screams at you while on a road trip "damn I haven't had ...... In forever. I want a crusher can of ......."

And speaking of Grainbelt anybody tried that in the last 6 months..It's on my bucketlist.

I understand exactly what you're trying to say. My current fridge beer is a killer pale ale that has late-addition citra hops and oats added, and clocks in at only 5% ABV. I've yet to sample this beer with someone who is not a craft beer drinker and them not being extremely surprised at the flavor profile and drinkability. Edit: I also think it's worth noting drinking for nostalgia. The way I look at life, drinking for the sake of nostalgia is disingenuous by nature but a major reason why people drink certain products. My cousin, for example, never drank Stroh's until his father, a frequent Stroh's drinker, passed away. Nostalgia, in almost any form, is a vehicle to try to remember things for what they once were, but typically do not fill the void for which a person is looking. As a person grows older, he/she typically realizes that there is a reason to not do or experience certain things; understanding personal growth is a huge component to maturity, and the ability to realize nostalgia for what it is factors greatly into that understanding.

I'm personally at a point in my life where cheap, low quality beer isn't something I look forward to - and a lot of my friends and family is at that point, as well. Not that you're saying this, but a large majority of people misunderstand craft beer as essentially excessively hopped IPAs that are high in bitterness and ABV. Most macro beers are variations on lagers (particularly pilsners), but I'd be willing to bet many major metropolitan areas have a local lager that is of much higher quality, but, per ounce, is fairly close to the macro beers.

Grainbelt definitely has it's merits, but they use a lot of adjunct and the result is a very sweet-flavored lager. For me, it's always been too sweet. There are several better premium-style beers in Minnesota that are better than Grainbelt, in my opinion, but Grainbelt has the name recognition to it so will always be a popular choice.

Now, this all has to be taken with a grain of salt, as I've been brewing my own beer since I was 18 and have been a big proponent of various styles other than domestic lagers. I also sell beer for a living, and am extremely knowledgeable and educated on beer. But as I mentioned, many of my friends have converted from the category of spending $15 for a 12 pack of low-quality product to spending $8 for a 6 pack (typically $16 for two six packs) of high-quality beer.

While domestics certainly have their place, there are many better options in a lot of areas that really aren't significantly more expensive.

Edit: I suppose I didn't really answer your initial question. For me, no, there is no domestic beer that I yearn for. However, there are particular styles that I absolutely do. Pilsners, for one, are one of my favorite styles. Pale ale is probably my favorite style of beer; being an ale, the amount of flavor is typically much higher than a lager, but the ability to drink multiple of them (especially on a hot day, or a day of hard work, etc.) is right up there with a lager. Extreme crushability? Pilsner is my go-to style, but there is a pretty noticeable difference between a macro and micro pilsner - I'll take the local option of pilsner over a Bud, Mich, Coors, Miller any day of the week.

Edit 2: Underlined above.

[Image: dnlll.gif]

» Update Page | Player Page | My Twitter «
[Image: 2qcdsat.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: 16gwwf9.png]

i don't think it's a slight of character for someone continuing to drink those beers tho, i know plenty of a decent amount of people who just don't like the hops in most craft beers. sure they'd be fine with a pilsner from a microbrewery, but its just not their field.

also, going to ballast point again today Smile

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

I stopped by one of my favorite StopNRobs today and I got a 24 oz. can of something I haven't had in years.
So why not revive this thread and let's take a quick review of ICEHOUSE.

[Image: 48c5cf12-70fb-4e49-8390-72180e26fbce_1.a...nBg=FFFFFF]

ICEHOUSE a product of The Plank Road Brewery( which is a fictitious brewery aka. Miller) is an ice brewed American beer (aka. Macro lager) with a 5.5% alcohol by volume.

The sampling tonight is as stated previously a 24 oz. Crusher can in the new standard ICEHOUSE packaging. ( see ooohhhh so pretty image) Its fairly destinctive and drew my attention as I scanned the cooler at "SAM's" Mini mart. At first I thought it might have been a Bush redesign or that their was something genuinely new on the market..Oh Well.

I opened the door picked it up and as you can see it was proudly proclaiming since 1855 "Ice Brewed for a Bolder Taste". So for $2.00 let's just see if there's truth in the advertising.

After dinner I moved it from the frig to the freezer for 20 minutes ( which will be the standard for these little bs sessions moving forward.) The can is frosty cold and the date stamped on the bottom is May 21 18 ..Hey, if it's bad it ain't cause I bought an old can.

As I popped the top it gave off a little wisp of icey vapor. I poured a short 6 oz. into a clear rock glass and it's very pale, almost dirty water pale..lots of bubbles, heavily carbonated with a white foamy head that disappears with thin lacing as I sipped it. It's an almost PBR type taste( which basicly means a corn bite with a hint of hops and a slight maltiness) to this with a watery keg beer kinda mouth after taste. That is surprising, as I thought for sure based on looks it'd be like Coors light all watery and weak. I guess Ice brewed=keggy taste ...at best.
This is definitely a better beer served ice cold and as this is being typed up every pull from the can is reminding me that I don't want to be stuck with this if it warms up at the bottom..Don't get me wrong it isn't horrendous ..it's actually not terrible and as I start making a mental list of brands to rebuy ICEHOUSE would be a decent lawnmower beer Or a good summer softball beer. Since this is winter how bout a good night at bowling beer or a curling beer for you north of the border.
Now getting your Budweiser prejudiced teammates to allow you to enjoy it might be a problem.

So these type of reviews usually end with some dramatic scoring..
If a 5(Five) was the rating for the best most refreshing beer they served in Heaven or Valhalla
And if you got a can of lukewarm shit water in Hell it was a 1(One).
ICEHOUSE
It gets a 2.7 ..decent brew, much better ice cold and surprising in that it looks like it's gonna be weakazz water.
'Ice Brewed for a Bolder Taste'?... In this case turns out to be -Truth. Will be everybodies kinda taste? - That's up to you.

Ok, it's Friday night get out there and try something new beer wise.
I'll talk at you later..
-Ghostspeed