Create Account

PT # 2 - Prospects Tournament

words: 306

After twenty-seven games, the Prospect Showcase has come to a close in St.Louis. in the final round the Outlaws got the better of the underdog Stingrays, finishing them off in two games. While both teams excelled in teamwork and playing a balanced game, some players stepped it up when it mattered most.
Coming into the playoffs, the top line of Nystrom, Jakobsen, and Bauer had slumped in the last five games of the group stage, combining for a meagre 3 points in those games. But then something happened.
“I don’t even know if I could describe it, but something just clicked. In the last practice before playoffs, we just meshed together”, noted Jakobsen. And they did indeed “click”. In the five playoff games that the Outlaws played, the top line combined for 22 points-10 goals and 12 assists. Of the eight goals in the finals, 5 of them included an one of these three touching the puck (got the goal or an assist).
At the end of the tournament Finn Jakobsen would tally 19 points all together (7 goals, 12 assists), gave 28 hits, and would have a +/- of -7. He proved that he is force on the powerplay unit, with most of his points coming from there. Showing his ability to score, Jakobsen also showed where he may be lacking. Though he may have a physical game in the neutral zone, Finn was stripped of the puck quite a lot. Finn would also look exhausted at the end of each game, attributed to mediocre endurance.
At the end of the day Jakobsen showed that he could compete, or even beat, the rest of the field of rookies. “I did much better than I thought I would and I would largely attribute that to Bauer and Erik. Those guys made it really easy for me!”

(221 words)

The first couple games we played went fairly well, good offense, good defend, and preformed well in net. The next two games on the other hand, I just failed my team, being pulled in the third game was a real shock to me. Didn't expect to do that poorly. And then the next game, was a shutout against us, that one really hurt, especially since I almost had one myself in game two.

After those two games, we just exploded, winning every game, until the last one, and two of them were eight goal games (scored by us at least). those two loses in a row really lit a fire in us.

I have no clue what happened to us in the playoffs though. Being swept while being the first seed was really painful. And most of that was on me. The defense didn't let too many shots get to me, most games were around 20 shots against me, while we have had to 30 against the Rays.

It was definitely an eye opening experience for me, I was probably getting to cocky in my head after preforming so well doing the round robin stage. At the very least I know what areas i need to work on to improve myself so the collapse I had doesn't happen to me again.

(240 words)

The Prospect tournament has gone and passed for all the prospects that were competing in it. Tommy McMahon was one of more than 50 prospects that were taking part in the tournament. The first three games were difficult for McMahon as he had accumulated zero points with a negative +/- rating.

Despite being tired and frustrated Tommy never lost hope. This translated in his fourth game where he scored two goals. Tommy would then go onto score two more goals and two assists in the five games remaining for him to play before the tournament playoffs started. His overall point total during this part of the prospect tournament was disappointing for him so he made the effort to play better during the tournament playoffs.

During the tournament playoffs Tommy became one of the leading scorers. Scoring three goals and earning two assists made McMahon the leading scorer on the Lions roster. This was unfortunately not enough to move the Lions onto the finals of the playoffs, as they were beaten by the eventual tournament champions in the semifinals. McMahon can still hold his head high however as he finished tied for third overall for playoff scoring and tied for second in playoff goals scored. The only real weakness that McMahon had in his game during the playoffs was his face-off performance with a below average face-off percentage of 40%, which, all things considered, is pretty good for a career right winger.

Oh boy, the prospect tournament. A lot of ups and downs came from this tournament. I like to call it very anti climatic. I was apart of the Blazers. A team filled with a lot of hard workers. We dominated the regular season. We were first place by a landslide and we would face a team that was last place by a landslide: The Stingrays. We would end up losing to them in two straight games. It was a disappointing season and an overall failure. However during the regular season, two guys stood out to me specifically: Chuck Bernstein, and Mikhail Kapralov. Kapralov lead the tourney in points. Chuck Bernstein had 7 points, and 6 of them were goals as 3 of them were in one game. They both played on the top line for the Blazers and boy oh boy did they earn it. When it comes to my performance, I was very proud of it. I worked hard all yeah, and I for the most part kept it out of my net. I made some mistakes I could improve on, but I was always physical. My record hits in a game was 5. I got 15 total hits in the first ten games and I was always pinning people against the boards. I was also making sure the opposing team could hear me. Overall, my offensive game was off besides that goal of mine along with hitting the post. Overall, I think it was a nice tourney for me. Disappointing ending, but what are you going to do?

~Clint Eastwood 258 words

Vijanupatan Singh had a decent Prospect Showcase. He had 8 points in 10 games, but what was really surprising for a player that is considered a sniper by most scouts, is that 7 of those points were assists. This shows Viji's versatility, as he still continued to shoot despite being counted on as a playmaker (1 goal on 36 shots for a horrible 2.78% shooting percentage never forget). Had Viji perhaps at a normal rate on his shots, let's say 10%, he would have instead had 11 points, which would have put him over the point per game margin. Nevertheless, Singh was far from the worst player out there, and showed a lot of overall ability. I think its pretty easy to say that Singh is not in a bad place build wise, because the only real issue that he faced mostly came down to a lack of luck, and Singh will be able to bounce back and be a solid contributor as a future SMJHL rookie. He also probably had less of a chance to shine because of all the great players who were on the blazers. He still managed to come off as a great prospect with just a bit of improvement left.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page