Create Account

Scotty Steele - End of season presser

2835 words

With the Scarecrows falling in game 6 to the falcons, it is expected that steele has played his last game in the SMJHL as the Minnesota Chiefs have indicated that he will be getting a long look to make the SHL roster

End of season statline
Regular season - 50 GP, 11 G, 21 A, 32 P, 7 +/-, 16 PIM, 4 GWG
Playoffs - 6 GP, 3 G, 0 A, 3 P, -2 +/-

Interview How did it feel being traded to a new team for this season and having to get used to a new locker room?

Obviously being traded is really an experience unlike any other, but when you’re traded with somebody you’ve already played with for a couple seasons and go to a team like STL that makes things that little bit easier. Joe along with the whole squad really easy on a personal level, even if it doesn’t feel like we clicked on the ice as much as we should have. It’s a great group of guys and I really hope they find that chemistry because they have such a good young group of guys if they can stay the course.

Interview Were you happy with your performance this season?

No I wasn’t. Frankly, regular season success and taking a leadership role on the ice only means so much, and it really sucks to get bounced in the first round. This is a group of guys that we felt we could win with, and it feels like a real kick in the balls to not be able to finish this season the way we wanted to.

Interview Will you miss me when you move up to the SHL?

Obviously buddy! You’re my number one!

Interview Who's the best SMJHL GM?

Really it’s all subjective and every team is in a different stage in their window. You’ve gotta like what Vancouver is doing but I’ve gotta give props to Kortesi. He’s made St Louis a real competitive place to be and I’m going to be keeping an eye on them when I’m gone

Interview In your opinion, who on the Scarecrows improved the most this year?

Now I know you asked this but honestly it’s Lombardi. Going from one point in S35 up to 17 this season along with the stellar locker room presence and work ethic, I think they’re going to be looking to you to fill my spot this coming season.

Interview Thoughts on STL's season?

Disappointing. I think we were a much better team than the numbers suggest, and I know if given a do-over we would have finished higher every single time. We have a great group here and I think we all expected to finish at the top of the league and with a deep playoff push. It really stings when that doesn’t come to fruition, and I think that’s what makes this group so special. We care and that’s why I expect them to bounce back next season,

Interview Team you want to win the 4 star cup?

I don’t really have any preference between the teams who are left honestly. I have no ties or any particular bad blood so I’m just going to be watching with some interest and looking for story lines.

Interview Excited to be called up?

I’m super excited! You only get your first call-up once and to be able to do it with a team like Minny is super cool. The guys are great and we get along super well so far from the time I’ve spent touring facilities and in the training camp and locker rooms. I’ve got some great role-models to mold myself after in that group and I know I’m going to learn a lot.

Interview Montreal or STL? Honestly

Honestly at this point STL are my boys. Jack and I were traded together and then the GM who drafted me was hired away to Portland, and most of the rest of my draftclass has been traded or called up. I have no real ties left there anymore except for my draft card and that doesn’t really measure up to the relationships you develop battling for a season with the guys.

Interview Your defensive side of the game has stood out the most by far and the Chiefs are a better defensive team than most teams in the SHL because of their rugged team defense. How hard of a challenge will it be to make the big step and do you think some changes will have to be made in your game to compete on the roster?

Obviously the SHL is a monstrous step up. It’s a completely different beast going from a team where I’ve been expected to jump up and play top line minutes which comes with the offensive responsibility. I think if I want to be successful in the SHL I need to make sure I give them reliable, defensive minded minutes and focus on my passing abilities because I’m not going to be the most skilled player on the ice anymore. I’m expecting a challenge, but I’m going to lean on my management and teammates to help me become the best player possible for the role them want me in.

Interview Minny has a bunch of prospects coming up soon, what is unique about you, your playstyle and personality that sets you apart from the rest of the pack?

What sets me apart is my defensive game easily. When you’re a young player it’s really easy to get caught up in the flashy stuff and forget the need to think the game at a high level and play a reliable defensive game and that’s what I pride myself on. Also, my SMJHL coaches have really helped me show off my versatility and prove that I’m reliable in any situation. I’ve played first line, PP, PK, last minutes, shootout, anywhere that they needed to step up and contribute they threw me in and I think I did a good job repaying that trust. I didn’t light the world on fire as much as I would’ve liked but I think I performed above their expectations in every facet of the game.

Interview What role would you prefer in your debut season and how confident are you in SHL success?

I want to play in a role that would let me learn from the tremendous skill that’s already there. I think probably third line defensive minutes is where I’ll realistically end up slotting in, and I’m super excited to see that this next level has in store for me. I know I’m going to succeed 100%. I’m a competitor and I think the Chiefs saw that when they used a first rounder on me, and I trust management to look at my skill set and put me in a position to succeed.

Interview What are your expectations for S37 in terms of playing time, usage, and performance?

I’m expecting to learn from the guys who’ve been there the longest frankly. I know I’m not developing at the rate that people would expect from a first round pick, but with this group of guys around me and getting a taste of the SHL level I expect to get to where I want to be fast. As for this season though, I think I could probably expect to play maybe 10 minutes a game in sheltered minutes. I think they’ll give me the chance to think the game at a faster rate and work on my defensive and playmaking skills first. Mostly 5v5 minutes as I get used to the league though.

Interview Is there anyone of the Chiefs you would love to play on a line with?

I would love to play with Lord Pretty Flacko. He’s in my opinion one of the best all around players in the league. He’s second in the league in points, probably the best skater in the league, defensively elite, and he would complement my passing because he’s the most skilled scorer in the league and he’s nine years my senior so I feel that I could learn so much from him. Even just practice time with him I feel would help me so much both on and off the ice.

Interview What will you miss most about St. Louis?

I’ll miss all the buddies that I’ve established good playing and working with for the past year, and particularly my good buddy Jack who I’ve played with for the last three seasons. It’s really a unique thing, the bond you share with your teammates who you battle with day in and day out on the practice ice and under the lights. Also, the opportunity to really lead from the front I’m sure I’ll miss soon. In Minny I’m gunna be sitting in the back learning from the vets but it’s gunna be a good change in the long run I think.

Interview It's no secret that your development has not exactly been smooth and many have already labeled you a bust as a fifth overall selection. What do you have to say about these concerns?

I’ve been battling some off-ice problems for the past few years of my development, but with the help of my family and my management here I’ve been able to get through it and I’m super excited to earn the respect my draft pedigree usually comes with. For the fans and my teammates, I promise you that I’m focusing one-hundred percent on the game and on my teammates, I’ll earn your trust and I’ll earn my playing time like everybody else. All this means is that I need to doubly hard to earn everything.

Interview Which SHL player do you think you compare favorably to in terms of overall skillset and potential?

I don’t think that I’m a player that you can really compare to anyone. I’m my own unique blend of skills and I think the delay in my development makes me unique in that we have extra time to develop my play-style to shape the needs of the team and I’m able to work much closer with the coaching staff and management to make me a better hockey player right away. I guess when it comes down to it, you;ll just have to stay tuned and be ready for anything.

Interview Why do you think St. Louis fell short this season?

I think e just didn’t click the way we should’ve. The coaching staff didn’t have the time that Montreal did to find that chemistry that made us click when they brought Jack and I in this preseason. On top of that, losing a couple key pieces in the middle of the season didn’t help much when it came to the playoffs. Now that they have had that time and can play with the line combos in a hopefully fully updated preseason, I can see the crows shaking things up in a big way this season.

Interview Do you think the Scarecrows have what it takes to compete for a cup in S37?

I do although it really depends on who graduates to the SHL. No matter what happens though, this management team has shown that they aren’t afraid to make moves and I think it’s a mistake to ever rule out a team when they’ve had some time to grow into their roster and with a competent GM who can make moves. They’re my sleeper pick next season for sure.

Interview What are some of your favourite memories from your time in the SMJHL?

Getting drafted when Montreal went off the board to grab me in the first round was a big one. It’s always nice to be drafted I’m sure but it’s another when a team goes miles off the consensus to snag a guy like me. That was cool.
On that same token, the draft when Minny grabbed me in the first round. Most observers guessed that I would go in the mid-late second, and again a team went off the board to grab me in the first round. It lights a fire under you and I expect to do some damage on their behalf this season.
Finally, Hansen and I had some crazy shenanigans these past few years (although I can’t write it here because this is a family-friendly website). Becoming buddies with a guy from another continent is an unlikely enough thing, but then you get trade with them and go on a few playoff runs with them, that was really special.

Interview Which former teammate are you most excited to play against in the SHL? Why?

Jack for sure. We’ve been roommates our entire junior career and he’s given me a lot of shit over the fact that he’s already played on a national team and won a gold medal so I’m looking forward to the chance to prove to him our first time playing for opposing teams that I’m the better one haha

Interview How do you feel about your SMJHL career? Did you play as well as you expected?

I didn’t do everything I wanted to accomplish at this level for sure, but I think I was one of the better players no matter where I was or the situation, and I’m really quite proud of that. You can’t always expect to be an all-star or a hall of fame player (although that’s obviously where you want to be) so I’m really trying to take it in stride. So even hough I was good at this level, it’s just lighting a fire under me so that I’m able to be great at this next level.

Interview Did you know that you're a scrub?

Nah, but I do know a couple Toronto prospects who are :ssst:

Interview Moving into next season, what area of your game do you want to improve the most?

I need to get used to the pace of the game at this next level. So watching a lot of game tape with the coaching staff and probably focusing primarily on that defensive aspect of the game for sure. I need my IQ to match the game and I won’t be putting a lot of pucks in the net my first few seasons so focusing on keeping the puck out of our own net and beyond that, keeping out of our zone will be my main focus this season.

Interview What are your goals for steeled rookie year?

I want to have a positive goal differential and make my way up to the middle-six by next season. If I can get up and have the team play that little bit better when I’m off the ice than when I’m off of it, I’ll be a happy guy.

Interview If minny wins the cup, do you think we'll be able to repeat?

Definitely. We have the organizational depth and now that we’ve signed Crutch I think we are definitely one of the more dangerous teams in the league. If us young guys can chip in and do our part I think we’re the dark horses for sure.

Interview Thoughts on bringing in shirabakov and having him up next season?

I’m pumped. I’ve only ever heard good things about the guy and he fills a position of need for us. Him and crutch alone are enough that I think we can get far over the hump and make some more noise this season.

Interview Where do you think you'll fit in long term on the Chiefs?

I think a top 6 guy playing shutdown minutes is a reasonable expectation for me. I pride myself on my defensive game in combination with my skating so I don’t think that’ll ever change. I’m also a pretty good passer for my level so I think I’m going to be in really good shape long term so I can set up our scorers and keep that puck out of the net. So I guess yeah, top 6 versatile player playing lots of PK minutes as well.

Final word
I’m super excited to move up to the Chiefs, it’s been a dream of mine for so long to play in the SHL and being called up to a young squad on the upswing is super cool. I know there’s a bunch of younger guys gunning for my spot so I want to make a promise to myself as well as my teammates, GM and coaching staff that Im going to work my ass off to work my way up the lineup. I’m going to make the pick they used on my justified, and prove all of you calling me a bust wrong.

Don’t count out the guy with a chip on his shoulder. Because me, like the rest of my team, do. And the vets made some noise in the playoffs while you all counted them out, and now that I’m up with them I’m going to add my little extra chip and we are going to get ourselves that cup.

Interview How did it feel being traded to a new team for this season and having to get used to a new locker room?

Interview Were you happy with your performance this season?

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Will you miss me when you move up to the SHL?

Who's the best SMJHL GM?

In your opinion, who on the Scarecrows improved the most this year?

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Thoughts on STL's season?

Team you want to win the 4 star cup?

Excited to be called up?

Montreal or STL? Honestly

Your defensive side of the game has stood out the most by far and the Chiefs are a better defensive team than most teams in the SHL because of their rugged team defense. How hard of a challenge will it be to make the big step and do you think some changes will have to be made in your game to compete on the roster?

Minny has a bunch of prospects coming up soon, what is unique about you, your playstyle and personality that sets you apart from the rest of the pack?

What role would you prefer in your debut season and how confident are you in SHL success?

Doubt is a dream killer

Answers to the first round of questions are answered! I'm going to leave it open for more questions until 10:20 am Mountain time tomorrow

What are your expectations for S37 in terms of playing time, usage, and performance?

Is there anyone of the Chiefs you would love to play on a line with?

What will you miss most about St. Louis?

It's no secret that your development has not exactly been smooth and many have already labeled you a bust as a fifth overall selection. What do you have to say about these concerns?

Which SHL player do you think you compare favorably to in terms of overall skillset and potential?

Why do you think St. Louis fell short this season?

Do you think the Scarecrows have what it takes to compete for a cup in S37?

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

What are some of your favourite memories from your time in the SMJHL?

Which former teammate are you most excited to play against in the SHL? Why?

How do you feel about your SMJHL career? Did you play as well as you expected?

Did you know that you're a scrub?

Moving into next season, what area of your game do you want to improve the most?

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

What are your goals for steeled rookie year?

If minny wins the cup, do you think we'll be able to repeat?

Thoughts on bringing in shirabakov and having him up next season?

Where do you think you'll fit in long term on the Chiefs?

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

Sorry for the wait graders. It's done