Create Account

S38 SMJHL Awards Show January 28th, 2018 @8PM EST

Quote:Originally posted by Beaver@Jan 28 2018, 10:12 PM

Yeah you're right, I oversimplified my point. 3 factors jump out when looking at Top GM winners:
-winning regular season
-winning Cup (even though officially this is ~totally not supposed to be a factor~)
-going from 7th/8th to 1st/2nd

S38: PGF 1st & Cup - 4th prev season
S37: HAL 1st - 2nd prev season
S36: HAL 2nd - 8th prev season
S35: VAN 2nd & Cup - 7th prev season
S34: STL 1st - 7th prev season
S33: KEL T-2nd (3rd on tiebreak) - 2nd prev season
S32: KEL 2nd & Cup - 1st prev season
S31: KEL 1st & Cup - 1st prev season

PGF checks 2 boxes, DET checks 0, KEL checks 0 (went from 7th to 3rd). So there would have been some precedent for a 2nd place, non cup-winning team team that finished 2nd place the previous season (S33 Kelowna) GM tandem winning but that's happened once in the past 8 seasons and before that it gets a bit dicier but S27 looks like the only other possibility going back ~20 seasons.

Wozy and Waters have done a great job, no doubt, I just don't see the argument for Detroit over Prince George.
last season we won the cup and went from 6th to 2nd, and lost to a team that lost to the second round and made barely any improvement (their first 30 games were dominant, ill grant you that, but if we're talking about checking boxes we're a spot away from 3 boxes). Honestly i'm way more peeved about last season than this one, pgf made the move to win the cup, no justification for us over them.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Jan 28 2018, 10:34 PM

last season we won the cup and went from 6th to 2nd, and lost to a team that lost to the second round and made barely any improvement (their first 30 games were dominant, ill grant you that, but if we're talking about checking boxes we're a spot away from 3 boxes). Honestly i'm way more peeved about last season than this one, pgf made the move to win the cup, no justification for us over them.
Yeah I wasn't on the awards committee last season so I didn't dive into the various nominees as much as this year but I do think y'all had a decent case. Winning the cup isn't supposed to matter and the importance of each of those boxes (and possibly other boxes) varies wildly over time as the committee membership changes.

Plus the whole premise is kind of dumb. It takes seasons to build up a good team but we award it yearly and so are presumably only supposed to consider that season. For example, the trades you and Wozy made to get WBF and crutch were risky moves that paid off and were incredibly important to Detroit's success this season... but that was 2 offseasons ago so are those trades supposed to be considered for S38 Top GM before the impact is fully realized or S39 or S40 when they're a distant memory?

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Quote:Originally posted by Waters@Jan 28 2018, 08:13 PM
<a href='index.php?showuser=283' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>ThatDamnMcJesus</a> fuckin dolt
wtf y so toxic

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Beaver@Jan 28 2018, 10:42 PM

Yeah I wasn't on the awards committee last season so I didn't dive into the various nominees as much as this year but I do think y'all had a decent case. Winning the cup isn't supposed to matter and the importance of each of those boxes (and possibly other boxes) varies wildly over time as the committee membership changes.

Plus the whole premise is kind of dumb. It takes seasons to build up a good team but we award it yearly and so are presumably only supposed to consider that season. For example, the trades you and Wozy made to get WBF and crutch were risky moves that paid off and were incredibly important to Detroit's success this season... but that was 2 offseasons ago so are those trades supposed to be considered for S38 Top GM before the impact is fully realized or S39 or S40 when they're a distant memory?

To piggyback on this, it's just a really difficult award to figure in juniors, especially if you aren't allowed to consider playoffs. For example, a team that drafts a ton of rookies, struggle to start the season, eks into fifth or sixth, but improves throughout the year enough to make a Cup run will never be acknowledged by the committee because they aren't supposed to look at playoffs and odds are their regular season standing went down.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by ml002@Jan 28 2018, 08:51 PM
The winner of the [b]S38 Esa Anrikkanen Award is…

<div align="center">Mikhail Lokitonov!

[Image: esa_info_graphic.png]

ps thank christ this is based on regular season only lul 1 playoff point Scrub</div>[/b]

Big Congrats to Lokitonov!

Also to all the other award winners!

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite