Create Account

Changes for the S41 (and S42) Fantasy Season.

Hello;

As the offseason gets shorter and shorter due to the SHL GMs getting their shit together, we have to run a tighter and tighter ship. This last season, we had several issues with groups taking far too long to get their picks finished. This includes people not showing up to pick, and people just flat out ignoring requests to make their final pick as the season went on. We also had issues with managers ignoring their groups when they needed to be updating the picks made, putting picks into the sheet, and putting swaps into the sheet.

The changes to counter this are as follows;

Firstly, instead of having to wait until a player has missed two full picks without notice, managers will be instructed to seek a full replacement if the pick has not been made up within 48 hours of the skip being enacted. There is absolutely no excuse for missing an entire round when a raft of options have been made available to participants who are worried about being unable to make their pick in the 18 hour window, including nominating a proxy to pick on your behalf, and submitting a preference list so that the group manager can immediately confirm your pick and move to the next guy.

Secondly, the rules on drafting for late groups will change upon the commencement of the SHL season. If your group has not finished by the time that the second regular season sim has happened, all managers in the group will be invited to immediately submit all of their remaining picks, first in, first served, without regard to the existing draft order. This is because fantasy managers will be instructed to no longer accept any picks whatsoever after the third sim, without exception.

Thirdly, the pay of fantasy managers will be changed from a flat 2.5m per season, to match most other jobs around the league, which are paid by how much effort is put in; if a managers ignores their group during the draft, doesn't enter their groups picks into the sheet in a timely manner, or doesn't process their groups swaps in a timely manner, they will receive a reduced salary. I will also not be bringing back some of the managers who clearly didn't show up this season and went out of contact from both their groups and myself, and take a greater interest in trying to prune those who aren't doing the right thing in the future.

~~

There was also an issue people noticed this season with some players being disqualified; in both cases, it was because they had selected three defencemen. I've absolutely no way of knowing who's making position swaps because there's no central bank thread for requesting them (hint hint, bankers); even if I tried to build in validation functionality into the spreadsheet (and I will anyway), it's not going to actually have all the data it needs until the start of the regular season, which is useless for the actual drafting process. Please keep an eye on the 5 skaters you select, and we'll try and keep an eye on them too. If we run into a situation like with Jon Ross (who jumped and told nobody), we can rectify that so long as we're less than 4 sims in. If we run into the alternative where a participant bluffed a newbie manager into thinking that Bubba Nuck is a forward, however, I'm gonna tell you to piss off.

~~

Finally, for some good news; I'm satisfied with the data I have for a new scoring model for skaters. Barring a massive outcry against this model, I intend to score by the new model at the start of the S42 season.

The differences are detailed as follows;

Existing,
Goals: 5 points
Assists: 3 points
Hits: 0.4 points
Shot Blocks: 1.5 points

New,
Goals: 4 points
Assists: 3 points
Shots on Goal: 0.3 points
Hits: 0.4 points
Shot Blocks: 1.2 points

The new model has consistently produced the results I'm after; where the best 24 forwards and best 16 defensemen have both the same mean and median values over time. Rright now, defencemen often dominate the ranks of fantasy skaters by score for not just the top 10, but the top 20, even top 30 ranks; the new values push the ratio back to actually match

This will also have the likely side effect of inflating fantasy scores over previous seasons by about 5-10%; not enough to be noticeable by most, but it might fuck with, for example, season to season rankings that are sensitive to average scores (https://media.giphy.com/media/ghjgM6hCCHPMc/giphy.gif).

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Could the info thread be updated to reflect these changes regarding scoring?

It still shows the:

Goals: 4 points (G * 4)
Assists: 2 points (A * 2)
Hits: 0.4 points (HIT * 0.4)
Shot Blocks: 1.5 points (SB * 1.5)

system, of which I actually didn't know we switched away from.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by artermis@Apr 21 2018, 01:24 PM
Could the info thread be updated to reflect these changes regarding scoring?

It still shows the:

Goals: 4 points (G * 4)
Assists: 2 points (A * 2)
Hits: 0.4 points (HIT * 0.4)
Shot Blocks: 1.5 points (SB * 1.5)

system, of which I actually didn't know we switched away from.

Quote:Barring a massive outcry against this model, I intend to score by the new model at the start of the S42 season.

The rest of the omnibus thread will be updated when I get the time- before the drafts start.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Apr 20 2018, 11:55 PM

The rest of the omnibus thread will be updated when I get the time- before the drafts start.
i m a doof

ignore my doofness

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]