Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Buzz

Ah, yes, everyone's favorite debate - whether we should pay GMs or not . Where do you stand on this, and if it's in the affirmative, how should this be carried out?

GMs absolutely should be paid. As someone who has been both an SHL and SMJHL GM for more than ten seasons combined, it's a lot of work. Both in terms of what is required of GMs and also what are de facto requirements (keeping up with the team, making adjustments, participating in league rule amendments, etc.). This takes a lot of time away from GMs anyways and, because of the nature of the job and lack of pay, GMs are going to be motivated to have strong players and thus need to get pay somewhere. By paying GMs, many league jobs will open up for other members who are looking to get into the league, which I think is very much a positive.

As for implementation, the pay should simply be in line with other league jobs - updaters, graders, HO, etc. Perhaps include bonuses for certain milestones that reward continued success and commitment.

There's been a lot of chatter about IIHF lately, though not entirely for the best reasons. Do you think players should be allowed to bench themselves without having to transfer out? Additionally, do you think the transfer rules are good as they stand? If not, what would you like to see in place of the system currently present?

I think the system is fine. If players want to sit out, let them sit out. Don't see any reason why they should be forced. And for transfers, I think the rule is fine as it is. I don't think players should just be able to transfer because they don't like a certain member. I think one change could be that players who were not added to the roster not by their own choice should be allowed to transfer for the following season. Thus, there should be a more formal method of opting out of IIHF play (those who opt out should not be allowed to transfer unless they meet the current conditions).

Playoffs! Obviously, not every matchup has been solidified yet (although they will be before this PT closes). That being said, which (potential) matchup are you most excited about? Who do you think will be the key players on each end, and who do you think can pull out the wins?

Obviously, I'm going to be most excited about our matchup with the Steelhawks. It should be an interesting one as this will be the third time in four seasons we face Hamilton in the playoffs and the series has run to seven games each of the previous two matchups. And with a tight regular season battle with many nail biters, this should be a good series and will not be an easy win for either squad.

I do think there are interesting matchups throughout. Sticking with the east, we have two teams in Buffalo and West Kendall that have flat out struggled to achieve much playoff success recently. Obviously, one will move on to the Eastern Conference Finals and I do believe Buffalo has the tactical edge but that the Platoons' more talented roster will allow them to overcome the upstart Stampede.

In the West, we also have two interesting matchups. The Jets and Dragons face off, two teams who have each had a alot of success over the past few seasons. However, I think the Dragons are not in such a great position to make a lot of damage this season and will ultimately fall to Winnipeg.

The other matchup will be between the Blizzard and Panthers, both talented teams. While the Panthers did better in the regular season, I think Edmonton will come out on top here in a tight series and, once again, have to face Winnipeg as they look to finally reach the finals.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Well I was gonna talk about paying GMs but uh that looks like it's been beaten to death already. Instead I just wanna say that these smjhl matchups are gonna be lit. Sorry militia, you have no hope against the Raptors.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

We need some fight on SMJHL playoffs and unlike my predecessor I think we are poised for an upset in the first round with Militia getting out of the first round and putting up a fight that is a sign of things to come.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

GMs without a doubt should be paid for running their team. The amount of work that a good GM puts in is something that players that haven't seen behind the curtain would be floored by. Not only are you dealing with multiple people in the Locker Room, you have to set lineups, negotiate trades/contracts, while keeping your team under the salary cap. All time consuming activities that GMs should be compensated for.

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]

I am excited about the matchup between Edmonton and Los Angeles. Everyone seems to be favoring LA, but Edmonton is going to win. They don't think it be like it is but it do

[Image: xOtrQ61.gif]

No, I don't think we should pay GM's, because if a GM wants to make boat loads of money the option is always there to pay themselves with a big contract for their player. GM jobs are among the most coveted positions in this league as well, it's a luxury and a privilege to be a GM in this league for most people and they shouldn't be paid for it speaking as a former GM, IMO.

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

GM's should absolutely be paid. I've never understood why mentor's get paid so much, but SMJHL Gm's end up both mentoring new players and running a team. SHL GM's have their own issues that make them worthy of being paid. Just pay people already. Just start paying from S42 on and call it a day.

We should definitely pay GMs, and I think a nice amount. Around 10-11 mil every 3 weeks. They do a lot of work and don’t slack.

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!

I think paying GM's makes sense given the amount of work they do...setting lines, monitoring players, etc. all adds up and obviously makes the league better. How much they should get paid is another question, but I think it's fair to say they add value to the league and those are cycles they can't spend on media.

Quote:Originally posted by BoucherFan12@Jun 11 2018, 07:51 AM
We should definitely pay GMs, and I think a nice amount. Around 10-11 mil every 3 weeks. They do a lot of work and don’t slack.

That’s a little excessive

-Ah, yes, everyone's favorite debate - whether we should pay GMs or not. Where do you stand on this, and if it's in the affirmative, how should this be carried out?
This has always been a tough one, and it definitely doesn't stand alone in a vacuum either. On the one hand, you don't want people applying to be GMs simply because they need to make money - it's not a position where you can just do your work and call it done. You need to be invested, and willing to put in as much work as it takes. That said, if GMs need to put in a ton of work elsewhere in order to be able to afford their own training, that can also be a problem, and it's hard to justify asking so many hours without any reward. This question, once opened up to GMs, then extends to other non-paid positions - in the past, head office folks were paid and we ended up getting rid of that because it didn't feel right for them to be paid when GMs were not. If GMs start getting paid, do we start paying HO? Just commissioners? Can we justify paying one position without paying another? And does it feel right, then, to pay people to give opinions that everyone ends up starting thunderdomes over and disagreeing with? Does that cause more conflicts down the line? There's a whole can of worms here that opens when you start talking about paying GMs, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and figure it all out.

-There's been a lot of chatter about IIHF lately, though not entirely for the best reasons. Do you think players should be allowed to bench themselves without having to transfer out? Additionally, do you think the transfer rules are good as they stand? If not, what would you like to see in place of the system currently present?
I'm not against re-thinking the transfer system, but I do think it needs to stay fairly locked down - choosing where your player comes from should remain an important part of player identity, plus it's impossible to plan a team when anyone can move around at will. That said, I also don't think international play should be a requirement for anyone - you're not getting paid for playing in the IIHF, it's a voluntary post-season activity. You should absolutely be able to bench yourself. No NHL player is required to show up for Worlds.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

I can’t understand the logic of not paying a GM, SHL or juniors, given their importance to the site and the considerable amount of time and effort that goes into being one. At least for the good ones anyway. A good GM can often be the difference between members staying active or leaving the site which is an enormous responsibility to take on. The very idea they shouldn’t be rewarded for their efforts, given other roles on the site are better paid for far less work and having considerably less influence on the overall success of the forum, is laughable.

GMs should definitely get paid. I can't wrap my head around why they're not getting paid. I'm no expert by any means but I know that being a GM and running a team is no small or effortless feat. I say they should be paid anywhere from 5 to 10 million a season, all depending on the amount of work they put in.

[Image: CcdSfiJ.png]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

Ah, yes, everyone's favorite debate - whether we should pay GMs or not. Where do you stand on this, and if it's in the affirmative, how should this be carried out?

I'd continue to do it for free for another 18 seasons, but wouldn't mind being paid a little for the endless work we put in being an SHL GM. It's pretty much a full-time job if you do it right.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Quote:Originally posted by ml002@Jun 10 2018, 06:33 PM

STHS is too random to base GM pay on success in it. I ran probably 30 test sims of just the final two sims of the SMJHL and had PGF and MTL both winning out 0 times.

Or just do it as a base salary & then bonus payouts for winning championship/gm awards.

[Image: dweaves08.gif]

[Image: lLWfTOT.png]