Create Account

Future forum layout changes.

Now that we've switched to a new board, the next logical thing to think about in the near future is to fix the structure of the forums. We've got a big old rat warren going here, and one of the most common complaints we get from new people is that they can't figure out where everything is. Naturally, addressing that should help player retention and make it easier for everyone to participate.

As it would be stupid to keep this discussion in-house in Head Office alone, we'd like to hear thoughts, suggestions, mind maps and outright detailed proposals on what should go where and with what. These changes will still be second priority to getting the forums working properly, but getting stuff on paper now will give us a head start for later.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2018, 08:03 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

06-27-2018, 12:06 AMAvakael Wrote: Now that we've switched to a new board, the next logical thing to think about in the near future is to fix the structure of the forums. We've got a big old rat warren going here, and one of the most common complaints we get from new people is that they can't figure out where everything is. Naturally, addressing that should help player retention and make it easier for everyone to participate.

As it would be stupid to keep this discussion in-house in Head Office alone, we'd like to hear thoughts, suggestions, mind maps and outright detailed proposals on what should go where and with what. These changes will still be second priority to getting the forums working properly, but getting stuff on paper now will give us a head start for later.

General Feel:
-Would like to see the 'New Topics' link displayed for the new users and not in the 'more' drop down box.
-Dont see that Create a player page that Teddy added, probably should have that more out in the open.
-There are obselete sub forums we can get rid of ...  Media Scouting, Junior Scouting, Three stars of the week
-Could consider giving the WJC a subforum in the IIHF section?
-Add the SHL, SMJHL and IIHF GMs to the left bottom of the site 
-Add all 4 of Kareys WKP banners on sig rotation
-Get a group together to find a cool use for the portal

Additions:
New SHL logo 
New Skins
New Team logo designs for the team sections

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

once it's all together whip up a new youtube how to vid, i used the old one when i signed up and it helped lots

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM by King.)

One idea, a little radical but I'll throw it out there.

The intimidation comes from there being way too many sub forums. Merge things, and turn some forums into just threads in other ones.

Off the suggestions the two I think will help the most are grouping everything that you do to improve your player into one forum, then everything involving actual simming into one forum.
  • Locker room
  • Discussion & Announcements
    • Announcements
    • SHL Discussion
    • General Discussion
    • Create a player
  • Player Development
    • Media
    • Graphics
    • Player Training
    • Activity Checks
    • Bank
  • Game Centre
    • SHL Games
      • Playoffs
    • SMJHL Games
      • Playoffs
    • IIHF Games
      • International Ice Hockey Federation
  • Transactions
    • Trades & Signings
    • Entry Drafts
  • Miscellenious
    • The Hall of Fame
    • SHL/SMJHL History
    • Player Database

Then the player threads.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

I'd say bank should be up with player development, but otherwise I like the idea of condensing the main forums

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

Yeah good call, I'll tweak my suggestion.

Falcons

06-27-2018, 06:12 PMKing Wrote: One idea, a little radical but I'll throw it out there.

The intimidation comes from there being way too many sub forums. Merge things, and turn some forums into just threads in other ones.

Off the suggestions the two I think will help the most are grouping everything that you do to improve your player into one forum, then everything involving actual simming into one forum.

Wow, this makes a lot of sense. You are like some prodigy kid or something

I'm giving you 60 days before you're a SMJHL GM.

Can we move the Banner & Twitter sidebar to the right side of the page, and have the actual forums moved to the left, or at least a more centric location? It just feels super weird having the "meat" of the forums being off to the right like this when scrolling through the main page

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Shucks. Honestly it's probably just the benefit of and outside opinion.

But co-GMing would be fun, I've sat with a few of the vet guys in PM's and had them dish to me everything they know about how the sim works.

Falcons

06-27-2018, 07:44 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Can we move the Banner & Twitter sidebar to the right side of the page, and have the actual forums moved to the left, or at least a more centric location? It just feels super weird having the "meat" of the forums being off to the right like this when scrolling through the main page

I had it like that originally, but was asked to move it to the left side.. Seems there are differing opinions on it. At least with it just being on the index it's not as bad.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

06-27-2018, 12:18 AMMike Izzy Wrote: General Feel:
-Would like to see the 'New Topics' link displayed for the new users and not in the 'more' drop down box.
-Dont see that Create a player page that Teddy added, probably should have that more out in the open.
-There are obselete sub forums we can get rid of ...  Media Scouting, Junior Scouting, Three stars of the week
-Could consider giving the WJC a subforum in the IIHF section?
-Add the SHL, SMJHL and IIHF GMs to the left bottom of the site 
-Add all 4 of Kareys WKP banners on sig rotation
-Get a group together to find a cool use for the portal

Additions:
New SHL logo 
New Skins
New Team logo designs for the team sections

Lots of points here, I like moving New Topics more in the open and getting the Create A Player page shown more obviously. Right now I almost want to hide the portal, I don't see much purpose.
We turned off sig rotation for the sidebar because it was adding a delay to site loading. I'm doing what I can to optimize things and speed it up. This was costing us almost half a second in load time.

Just a couple notes for myself really...

-Add search bar to top nav bar on light/dark themes
-Default Signature Checkbox to checked (currently unchecked by default on quick reply and full reply)
-Fix these stupid black boxes on the light theme

The site visualy looks awesome! But ..

[Image: SHL-Stampede.png] and [Image: logo.png]

it looks like we brought grandmothers furniture with us to the new home.

we have so many talented graphic guys on the site who i bet are itching to try there hand at putting together a new SHL logo and new team page logos... i hope thats something we plan to do.

Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2018, 01:55 PM by LB..)

Please colorcode people again, ty

The background image sucks, either make it so it moves with the page or just remove it
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2018, 11:56 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: UmrX6RZ.png]

these dots get bold to let you know that someone posted in that specific section, in other forums theres a 'READ ALL' button at the bottom of the site which turns the bold circles back to normal... do we have that add on? ....it would be easier then indiv. clicking them off.

Knights|Dragons|Austria