Create Account

S42 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2018, 01:00 PM by Sean.)

Task #1

I'd take Rafe Ulrich and put him on the Vancouver Whalers in place of Kristaps Ball. Ball, who was a leader for the Whaler's in the regular season managed only 1 goal and no assists. The Whaler's would have been much better off with Ulrich's +4 rating, his 4 goals, and 4 assists. If Ulrich had played the last series with Vancouver, he might have been the difference and at least forced a game 7. If he maintained his pace, he could have been good for 3 goals and 3 assists. 3-6 more goals in that close series could have easily put Vancouver over the top.

Not only would Ulrich's scoring presence change the series, his physical presence could have changed it as well! In 9 games he threw 26 hits compared to Ball's 12 in 11 games. The Kelowna-Vancouver series was tough and physical. Had Ball been able to ruffle a few feathers, maybe Kelowna would have become more undisciplined and Vancouver could capitalize on the PP more often.

Task #2

Top 5 SMJHL Finals Parents:
  1. Matis and Lina Ball: You could see them in the crowd often displeased with the play of their son Kristaps Ball. Their reaction to yet another Kelowna championship was priceless
  2. Daddy Daddy Mack: You could see the emotion in his eyes as he watched Daddy mack dominate the playoffs and eventually lift the cup
  3. Money and Moola Savage: Whenever cash potted one of his 5 goals they could be seen in the stands making it rain
  4. Kristof and Lilly Skalbergs: You could see them giving the side eye to the Ball's all playoffs. Perhaps this could lead to some kind of parent cage match in the future
  5. Darrell McCarty: The long lost father of Darren McCarty, had an emotional reunion on the ice after Kelowna's victory and then proceeded to get into a top 5 scrap of the season

Task #3

Reporter: Well Tony, you're here. The playoffs. You said at the beginning of the year that you wanted to outperform your uncle Tommy Salami, how would this moment relate to those comments at the beginning of the year?

Tony: I'm proud of myself and the team. Tommy was never able to take the Whaler's to the playoffs and I'm here with the Raptors in my first season! I'd also like to say that I passed Tommy's best SMJHL season in my first season.

Reporter: But Tommy was a defenseman

Tony: I played fewer minutes.

Reporter: Okay, what are your hopes for these playoffs?

Tony: Well, we are the #3 seed, I don't think it's unrealistic for us to win the cup, we just gotta get through Montreal, which is no problem. Then we'll play Kelowna, they've had our number during the regular season, but we're due. Finally Vancouver? We've beaten them tons this season. It might not work out that way, but that's how it's gonna work out.

Reporter: You seem awfully confident in yourself and your team. Why do you think that is?

Tony: We've been proving everybody wrong all year. We were supposed to finish bottom of the league, but now we're here top seed in the first round. Why should anything change? We're world beaters.

Reporter: Thanks for taking the time Tony. Up next, is your bathroom sink trying to kill you? We'll find out on news channel 3.

Task #4

SCOTT CRAWFLING VS. PETR VRANA

The key matchup between the Militia and Raptors may come between the pipes. Vrana for the Militia had a less than stellar season putting up an 18-23-3 record. If it wasn't for Anthony's 3-2-1 record we wouldn't even be looking at a Militia team in the playoffs. Vrana suited up for 45 games this season, putting up a 2.70 goals against average and a .890 save percentage. If he can improve on that, it may be the difference that puts Montreal over the top.

On the other side of the ice Scott Crawfling suits up for the Raptors. There was a point this season where Crawfling lost his starting gig to rookie Brandon Sando. Sando quickly fell off, but his 7-4 record is a large reason Colorado finished 3rd in the league. Crawfling posted a slightly better .893 save percentage and a worse 2.98 goals against average. His record at 17-14-8 is a vast improvement on Vrana's. Colorado is going to need Crawfling to have a good series if they expect their run and gun stlyle to work. in 300 less minutes played, Crawfling faced 50+ more shots thans Vrana this season.

If either team wants to win this series, their goaltender is going to need to outperform the other. Colorado is going to give up a lot of shots, if Crawfling is not up to the challenge, Montreal could take this series easily. However, Vrana is going to need to be on his game because Colorado is going to be throwing everything at him.

Task #5

PBP: Kazlauskas intercepts the pass and now Colorado looks to put on the pressure and go ahead after tying this game up. Kazlauskas makes the outlet pass and it's intercepted by Grease La Roache! Tutankhamun is wide open in front of the net, with no one around! La Roche makes the pass, it lands right on the stick of Tutankhamun. He's got all the time in the world! Crawfling challenges, Tutankhamun shoots!

SCORES!!!!

Tutankhamun puts Montreal right back on top 2-1 in game 4!

Colour: That has to be a back-breaking goal for the Raptors. They tied the game up only 2 minutes ago, and now they're back down. They need every advantage they can get in this series at this point being down 3-0.

PBP: It's still early in the game, anything can happen!

Colour: Yes, of course, I just wanted to see Colorado come out and take a hold if this game if they wanted any chance of a comeback in this series. They haven't done that yet. You can feel the electricity in the air here in Montreal tonight! If Colorado really wanted a chance they needed to get this crowd out of it early. They still have a chance, but they need to make another move, quickly!

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2018, 06:34 PM by Lazyeye.)

Task 1: One of the most underrated stats in hockey is faceoffs. It is pivotal point in the game which can allow your team more puck possession hopefully leading to more goals, so when a center is not performing at the dot it can have a big negative impact on that team. For this reason, I would replace Soren Kierkegaard of the Vancouver Whalers with the Regular Season Faceoff win percentage leader Mr. Faceoffs. Mr. Faceoffs had an impressive 57.34% at the dot over the regular season. If that win rate is extrapolated to Soren Kierkegaard's amount of faceoffs taken, that would be 283 faceoffs won during the playoffs, compared to Kierkegaard's 186 wins, that is an extra 97 times of possession off the draw for the whalers. Mr. Faceoffs would most likely be on a similar point pace as Kierkegaard, but the extra success at the dot may have been the X factor to defeat the knights in the Four Star finals (161 words)

Task 2: Top 5 Celebs at the SMJHL playoffs

1: A long time hockey fan, he was constantly seen throughout the playoffs regardless of team. Tom Hanks
[Image: 2016-0326-Tom-Hanks-Colin-Hanks.jpg]

2: A huge Colorado Raptor fan., Will Ferrell cheered on ythe Raptors before their playoff exit
[Image: image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F...w=800&q=85]

3: The Inception and Juno star Ellen Page was spotted at the Whaler games numerous times during this year's deep playoff run
[Image: image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F...w=800&q=85]

4: HIMYM star and huge Vancouver fan, Cobie Smulders got a little too excited at a Whalers game
[Image: 980x.jpg]

5: Adam Driver, most known for being Kylo Ren in the new Star Wars Trilogy, cheered on the Militia
[Image: spl1028633_006.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=605&zoom=2]

Task 3: [Image: KGkrWqo.jpg]
Task 4: [Image: BV4kzXS.jpg]
Task 5: [Image: yfjO0vV.jpg]

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Championship week S42

Task #1 -Pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them into an existing playoff lineup. Who do they replace, why, how do their playoff stats look?
Must include: 150 words.

Player from eliminated team: Mr.Faceoffs

CK = Checking: 40
FG = Fighting: 25
DI = Discipline: 62
SK = Skating: 67
ST = Strength: 70
EN = Endurance: 56
DU = Durability: 50
PH = Puck Handling: 70
FO = Face Offs: 72
PA = Passing: 62
SC = Scoring: 52
DF = Defense: 72
PS = Penalty Shot: 40

Potential playoff stats (relevant to his role): 0G | 4A | 56.35 FO% | 146 FOT

I would place Mr.Faceoffs on Vancouver’s 4th line taking out Guts O’Bigbers. I would put Faceoffs there because he may be able to score the 4th a few more points just from his domination in the faceoff circle. Come playoffs , the faceoff dot becomes very important,especially if you can steal some with your 4th line. Mr.Faceoffs this past season finished 1st for Centers in the league for faceoff % . He could easily outmatch Bigbers 45.89% to a much improved 55-56% area. The amount of points Faceoffs could get in the playoff , with  the 15% deployment on the 4th line , may not have been much more but would have at least matched with 3. His strength is in his name and very much the reason why he is a great depth player. Albeit, he would be wasted on the 4th line and should be higher but a steal for any team during a playoff series.

157 Words

Task #2 - Make a top 5 list for the finals. Top 5 goals, top 5 players, top 5 noteworthy people in the audience for one of the games, whatever you want. No word count, but if you just list 5 names, you won't get the full 2 tpe. Be a little creative.

Top 5 SMJHL Wholesome moments in  SMJHL S42

1.  Alex Winters telling Oliver Kovacs  that he had a great time playing golf last weekend and that his putting game has gotten a lot better.

[Image: image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.co...40d3dc5c07] 

2. Goku Muerto offering his protein bar to Marc Palicka after finding out he still needed to reach his macros for the day.

3. Troy McClure III thanking Cash Savage for the new pasta maker from his and his wife-to-be’s gift registry.

4.Greg Santos showing Geezus Kryyst the basics of the salsa so he can  impress his tinder date that night.
[Image: pwk2.gif?fit=400%2C225&ssl=1] 

5. Leshaun King trying to wipe the boogers off of Luke Thomason’s face before his intermission interview.
[Image: tA4N2dN.gif?noredirect]

Task #3 - Either write an interview with your player about your team's playoff hopes (or if you're on an eliminated team, an interview about your team's season in review) OR create a program cover for one of the games in any playoff series.
Requirements: Written option - At least 200 words. Graphic option - Logos of both teams in the matchup and at least one player render.

[Image: eUBSWf_j4mIPhLsWlk2m7bUgk792udJfvLgQzcaM...dgnfXNpg72]Jonáš Seagull
C.H.E.W.  (Czechoslovakian Hockey Entertainment Worldwide)

Jonas here with Kristof Kovacs on the line real quick just to give us a little break down of the season.

JS:What did you do well?

KK:I think did a good job matching to other teams top lines. There were moments where our inexperience showed but the poise of Kryyst really helped us to keep it together for the season.

JS:What could be improved on?

KK: I feel like me and my brother’s  line need to be better for next season. The offense was there this past season but we need to improve on our defensive game and take that -10 to neutral and positive.

JS: Tough end to the season ,What do you see for next season?

KK: Yeah it tough going on the losing streak the last quarter of the season . He had so much momentum before that. Most of the season it looked like we were gonna make the playoffs but just not in the cards this year. For next season, I see us coming out of the gate running. A lot of the sqaud are rookies like myself and now that we have a season under our belt it will be a lot easier to acclimate. The goal is that we make the playoffs and I think we have a real shot, all the pieces are there we just need some time to grow into like Kelowna and Vancouver has.

237 words

Task #4 - Write 200 words or make a graphic highlighting any goalie matchup of the series.
Written must include 3 stats, either from playoffs or the regular season.
Graphic must include both goalie renders and both team logos.

[Image: GMcmFKo.png]

Task #5 - Write a goals highlight play by play for one series winning game OR make an infographic featuring stats from a series winning game.
Requirements: At least 200 words for written / at least 4 stats featured in at least 2 different ways for graphics (bar graphs, pie graphs, list of names, etc)

Game 5 of - Montreal vs Vancouver - http://www.smjhlstuff.wtgbear.com/S42PO/...LF-37.html - Period 1

Just coming off a hot and spicy goal, Montreal doesn’t seem to be showing any sign of slowing down!

Piotr Czerkawsku dumps the puck into the Whalers zone after some pressure in the Neutral zone. Unfortunately, for them wonder- man Andani retrieves the puck and passes to Herb Robert back into the Neutral zone. Just as fast as he received the puck Roberts passes to to Tokek Takshak in the offensive zone BUT WAIT it’s intercepted by Jeff Brogen of the Militia, things are about to heated here folks!

Brogen passes to Pivonka who passes it so Viktor Valentine , however Valentine can’t seem to keep the momentum going and dumps it in the Whalers zone.

Puck is retrieved by Kristaps Ball and passed to Jean-Luc Picard . JLP passes it to Andani and HOLY MACKEREL it is intercepted by Brogen again , this man is a machine! He passes it to Valentine who yet again dumps it.. Sorry folks I had hope there too but let's see what the next line has for us.

Kevin Kazarian, Mason Hudson, Dabcity Savage with Harvey Danger, Marco Raanteli blast onto the  ice for Montreal Militia.

The  Puck retrieved by Jean-Luc Picard and his pass is intercepted by Harvey Danger , pass to Mason Hudson  who passes it to Marco Raanteli. Raanteli weaves through the defense and brings the puck into the Whalers zone. He draws two guys and drops it back to Danger. Danger fakes the shot passes to Hudson. Hudson shots . Hudson SCORES! Mason Hudson brings this game to a 2-0 lead for the Militia. Don’t count them out of this series yet folks!

269 words

[Image: 9d3oxij.png][Image: 8xyKeyf.png][Image: gs89eGV.png]

[Image: Lq99Y4d.png]
-------------------------------------------------------------
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]

Task #2
So game 1 of the SMJHL finals always tend to draw big names in to watch the opening finals game. I was able to catch up on a few big name celebs in the stands and get there take on the game.

#1 Seth Rogen. It seems whenever Vancouver plays at home Seth is always in the building so support his hometown team and tonight was no different. When asked on his take on the game he said the building was electric as always but tonight had a different feel to it in a good way. He noticed the guy in front of him had a nice little bag of *cough *cough “vitamins” and was willing to share.

[Image: Seth+Rogen+Celebrities+attend+USA+v+Cana...DAWzTl.jpg]

#2 Vince Vaughn was noticed not long after meeting up with seth. He was a bit camera shy but I did get a word from him. “The beer is cheap” he said. “not in price but seriously, could they do better than natty light? My Godthis is Canada. Where hockey is everywhere and beer flows like a river and all they could get was natty ice. At least the tickets were a good price”
[Image: gallery_5_3.jpg]

#3 Justin Trudeau, The Prime Minister of Canada, was seen Laughing with a fellow hockey fan after an incedent in the stands caught the eye of a Kelowna Knights player as he was involved in a line change and fell over the players bench resulting in a too many men on the ice penalty. I could not make it past security to share a word with him.

[Image: justin-trudeau1.jpg]

#4 Snoop Dog was the guest entertainer during the 2nd intermission. When asked how he was enjoying the game he relpied “Im not here to watch the hockey game, Im here to entertain” and offered me a little puff puff. When I kindly declined his offer he looked at me confused and said “Seth Rogan wouldnt pass this shit up”

[Image: snoop-dogg-nhl.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

#5 Wayne Gretzky was seen taking pictures and signing autographs out on the concourse of the arena. As I approached him to ask a question or two the starting lineup was being announced and he started to make his way to his seat to not miss a single minute of the action. Unfortunately I could not get a word in with the great one.

[Image: 2628078.jpg?size=640x420]

Task #3

Bob – Hello everyone. Bob here with defenseman Craig finley of the halifax Raiders. Im here at game one of the SMJHL finals and ran into him and just wanted to ask him a question or two and without further ado... I welcome Craig Finley. Craig welcome. First I want to say I am sorry to hear about how your season ended. I am sure it hasn't fully sank in but can you give us a word or two on this past season?

Craig – Well we missed the playoffs after our hot start and to miss out on the dance after the start that we had it hurts. To be fair we wernt given much love from people as most had us missing out but still, we missed and thats how it is.

Bob – If you had to place guilt on one person and one person alone as to why you missed who would it be?

Craig – Well im gonna give you the only answer I can. Its me. I didnt play as well as I know I can and when I wasnt playing well, I wasnt practacing hard enough to get better. I know Im a rookie and all but after feeling what missing the playoffs feels like im only gonna train harder and play harder. I dont plan on letting Halifax down again.

Bob – well I dont want to take much time so I think thats a good place to end. Thank you for taking a minute. If I would have known that id see you here I would have had more questions, but anyways thank you for your time.

Craig – anytime Bob. You know I enjoy talking to you.

(word count 287)

[Image: 37Bgs1o.png]
Rage Usa raiders
DRAFTED 30TH OA S43
S42 WJC GOLD MEDAL
JESTER AWARD FINALIST S45
S45 ALL ROOKIE TEAM
S50 IIHF GOLD MEDAL
S52 CHALLENGE CUP CHAMPION

Task #1 -Pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them into an existing playoff lineup. Who do they replace, why, how do their playoff stats look?

I think that Vancouver could have used a little more scoring in the clutch, so I'll be pulling in one of our leading scorers in the playoffs, Rafe Ulrich, who had tied for the lead in points on our team with 8 pts in 9 playoff games. He will be replacing David Kastrba on Vancouver who has an admitted weakness in scoring. If Rafe was slotted in, he would allow Vancouver to more confidently use their second line and depend on them for a lot more scoring than they would generate. Rafe has a strong all around game and can check and score.

I feel slotting him in there would have been big in their games. Through several of the playoff games, they struggled to put the puck in the back of the net, and it led to their eventual elimination from playoffs. A little extra scoring could have given them more comfortable leads or help them end the games in OT instead of falling in them twice before watching their provincial rival lifting the cup. His hitting skill also would help wear teams down for those long games, making it harder for them to keep the pace up

Task #2 - Make a top 5 list for the finals. Top 5 goals, top 5 players, top 5 noteworthy people in the audience for one of the games, whatever you want. No word count, but if you just list 5 names, you won't get the full 2 tpe. Be a little creative.

Today, we're going to be discussing the top 5 player names in the finals.

5. Max Maudlin - A rookie with great alliteration. Just say the name to yourself, it rolls off the tongue so well. Sounds like a comic book villain name.
4. Mirio Togata - A unique name with a very hard sound to it. It doesn't match his style of play as he's not a big hitter. His name would likely be higher up on the list if his style of play matched the harshness of his last name.
3. Daddy Mack - Personally I think this name is just a hard hitter. Works well with whichever name you're going to say first
2. Cash Savage - Cash is exactly what this guy is around the net. Dude can absolutely bury and make the other team pay, savage. That aside, name works really well with style of player.
1. Guts O'Bigbers - Just love it. Gives a sensible chuckle the first time through and doesn't lose a ton of appeal on further reads. This is truly the B-Sharps of names. Hopefully he stops his gut from getting too full in the offseason and stopping him from contributing next year

Task #3 - Either write an interview with your player about your team's playoff hopes (or if you're on an eliminated team, an interview about your team's season in review) OR create a program cover for one of the games in any playoff series.

Interview - Hi Jeff, thanks for coming on the show today. You've had a very successful rookie year, and now you find yourself going into playoffs in your rookie season. Interview

Yeah, I'm very happy with how this season went. There were some definite dry patches and some hot streaks. Hopefully I'll be able to be more consistent in the coming series. I'm excited to get on the ice and shake off the jitters.

Interview You are coming up against a hot Raptors team. They're pretty heavily favoured in the series. How does that make you feel? Interview

I'm fine going in as the underdog. Honestly, I really hope that Colorado comes in thinking that they're just going to walk over us. I think we're underrated and that we're going to come out and surprise a lot of people.

Interview What are your hopes for the playoffs Interview

Of course I want the cup and nothing else. We're coming here from the bottom so we have a very hard path to the cup, but we've got a good squad and I know we're all set on trying to win and not just settling.

Interview Thanks for coming, good luck in the playoffs Interview

Thanks for having me Chip, hope you enjoy the playoffs

Task #4 - Write 200 words or make a graphic highlighting any goalie matchup of the series.

We've got game 6 on our hands tonight folks and the Vancouver Whalers have their backs against the wall. the key matchup for this game is going to happen between the pipes.They've both had strong series so far and are looking to continue the trend. For Kelowna, we'll have the playoffs leading save percentage in Kata Vilde who's boasting a .915 sv% through the playoffs. Vancouver's goalie Greg Santos has been weaker in this department with a .897, but has been facing significantly more shots. Kelowna has only allowed 213 shots to reach Vilde while Santos has been getting pepper, having faced 272 shots through the playoffs. Both goalies have a shutout a piece, and have been playing some long minutes in recent games, having faced OT twice already in this series.

I think based on the stats that we are definitely seeing a goaltending matchup that favours Kelowna. Kata Vilde has been very strong through the playoffs and barring a few anomalies, has been positioning Kelowna very well to win their games and get a good shot at their second straight cup win.

We can't fully count Santos out though, during the regular season, he boasted a .903 sv% over 35 games to lead the league in several different categories.

Task #5 - Write a goals highlight play by play for one series winning game OR make an infographic featuring stats from a series winning game.

This game is shaping out to be another long one folks. For the third time in the series we are in overtime, and this time, there's a little extra on the line as Kelowna is pushing to try and bring home the cup. A few chances both ways so far this period.

Maddox, dumps the puck into the corner, heading off for a change as Picard picks up the puck surveying the ice, passing the puck to Moore before heading off for a change himself.

Moore holds the puck, taking it deep into the Kelowna zone, takes a tight corner and his feet slide out from under him. Svensson picks up the loose puck and fires it up ice to Savage in the neutral zone

Great puck movement here by the Knights, making Vancouver chase them all around the ice. Savage has it again. Dishes to Svensson who has room. He steps in as Vancouver's defense rushes to try and close the gap. He sees Gardiner open. Gardiner shoots, HE SCORES. RYAN GARDINER WINS KELOWNA THE CUP! His team pours on the ice and is mobbing him in the corner. What a finish to a great battle of a series between these two bitter rivals.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2018, 10:39 PM by KillTheArchitect.)

Task #1: Kovacs In, Brown Out!

I think taking Kristof Kovacs from the eliminated Halifax Raiders and slotting him into Mason Brown’s third line spot on the Colorado Raptors. Kovacs being an active player vs. Mason Brown being an inactive a major reason. Kovacs also possesses a superior 277 overall TPE while Brown only has 204. The Raptors were in for a tough playoff route with a young team. Kovacs would have been a bolstering addition to the center depth of the Raptors. Kovacs is superior defensively, has a much more dangerous shot and his faceoff ability is on another level compared to Brown’s. I think having a center like Kristof would have given the Raptors a better chance to win. His wicked shot makes him a danger at any point of the game and is a PP specialist. I believe he would have gotten 4 goals and 1 assist in the first series. Several of those goals being big time goals that changed the tide of the match or won the game. With Kovacs the Raptors make it past the first round!

177 words

Task #2: Top 5 on ice FAILS of the SMJHL Playoffs

[Image: 4FSRNBjuRxWQhuQyZFEg_h8.gif]
1. Our first fail of the playoffs goes to Cash Savage. After a hard rush to the blue line he seemingly trips on nothing to go for a full headstand slide all the way into the opposing teams end. Points for staying up as long as he did but his team was scored on while this happened making it fail worthy!

[Image: n9yrkgNtQnO8H7GQ0cVm_h3.gif]
2. Coming up in second sees a ridiculous display as one of the Raptors players shish kabob’s his teammate Alex Winters on the play. Poor Winters had that stick all sorts of stuck in his visor, poor teamwork from the Raptors here!

[Image: giphy.gif]
3. Falling in hot at #3 we see Troy McClure III trying to draw his opponent into fisticuffs. Little did he know he’d be throwing off more than his gloves, goodbye balance as the tough McClure looks pretty silly going ass over tea kettle in this one.

[Image: UapDb6A.gif]
4. Failing into the bench at #4 is Greg Connor. The big bully is out here head hunting rookie Luke Thomason trying to take him out of the game. Little did he know Luke is a master evader! A quick spin and boom Connor’s is in the bench with no injuries except his pride.

[Image: ActiveQuarrelsomeAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif]
5. Lastly at #5 we see this pigeon of a player in Rafe Ulrich. After earning himself the first star of the game in MTL’s win against Vancouver Ulrich tries to exit the ice in a flashy fashion. Instead he clotheslined himself and lost 3 teeth, what an idiot!

That's going to wrap up our top 5 on ice fails for this years SMJHL Playoffs!

Task #3: Player Interview – Oliver Kovacs

Press: Hello Oliver, tough way to end the season eh? It looked like you had a good chance but you blew it on the home stretch! 

OK: Well if you want to put it bluntly like that, then yes we did. We have a young rookie team and we really put it all out there all season. I think it went on the other teams settled and started to catch back up. After the 2nd third of the season was done it was a day in and out fight to stay in the playoff mix. The final 7 game stretch where we lost every game was the nail in the coffin. It hurt a lot it was painful and we were really upset to have let the fans down. 

Press: Wow... yeah I'm sorry I didn't want to sound like a dick but, you definitely had a rough go there at the end and I'm sure it was hard on your whole team and the fans watching. We know you're pretty bummed out so we won't keep you much longer, what can you personally do to assure the fans of Halifax this won't happen again? Will you be in the playoffs next year? 

OK: Well you did sound like a dick so how's that? However I can assure all the fans we will have playoff hockey in Halifax next spring. We have a great team and the summer we are all going to put in will be huge. We're going to come back dominant next season and I predict a top half finish and long playoff run. With King, Vinny, Finner, Kris, Egger, PLD and Geezus we are going to do some damage. We improved a lot but you haven't seen anything yet! We're going to dictate our match ups and not let our inexperience get the best of us like it has all season. Book your playoff tickets now before they sell out in April! No more questions please. 

330 words

Task #4: SMJHL Finals Goalie Match Up

For this goaltending matchup we are going to look at the regular season performances of the two goalies bringing their teams to the Four Star Cup. We will also take a look at the match ups from this season and how both goalies played against one another during the season. 

Kate Vilde:   GP: 40 W: 29 L: 8 OTL: 2 SV%: 0.892 GAA: 2.50 SO: 0 GA: 97 SA: 902
Greg Santos: GP: 35 W: 28 L: 6 OTL: 1 SV%: 0.903 GAA: 2.39 SO: 3 GA: 84 SA: 866

Looking at the regular season, Vilde did play 5 more games, however Santos was able to get 28 wins, just 1 behind Vilde with 5 less games. Santos posted a slightly better save percentage and goals against average but it’s negligible at best. However, Santos with the 3 shutouts is a stand out stat while Vilde did not earn a single one this season despite having the stacked Knights in front of him. I think the season stats are a toss-up and while I give Santos the edge with the shutouts the 5 additional starts could have lowered his other totals. I think it’s best we call it a draw with points to Vilde for more starts. How did they do against one another though?

Game 28:

Greg Santos (VAN), 27 saves from 28 shots - (0.964), W, 7-1-0, 60:00 minutes
Kata Vilde (KEL), 28 saves from 32 shots - (0.875), L, 5-1-1, 60:00 minutes

Game 48:

Greg Santos (VAN), 27 saves from 30 shots - (0.900), W, 10-1-1, 60:00 minutes
Reece Artois (KEL), 7 saves from 7 shots - (1.000), 21:34 minutes
Kata Vilde (KEL), 11 saves from 15 shots - (0.733), L, 9-2-1, 38:26 minutes

Game 118:

Kata Vilde (KEL), 25 saves from 29 shots - (0.862), L, 23-4-2, 59:25 minutes
Greg Santos (VAN), 34 saves from 37 shots - (0.919), W, 12-2-1, 60:00 minutes

Game 125:

Reece Artois (KEL), 15 saves from 16 shots - (0.938), 29:32 minutes
Kata Vilde (KEL), 8 saves from 12 shots - (0.667), L, 24-5-2, 30:28 minutes
Greg Santos (VAN), 30 saves from 33 shots - (0.909), W, 14-2-1, 60:00 minutes

Interestingly enough out of the 8 games the Knights and Whalers played against each other, we only saw our two goalies face off in 4 of those games. As far as matchups go this is as lopsided as it gets. Santos won all 4 starts in goal against Vilde and posted a .923 save percentage with a 2.50 goals against average. Meanwhile Vilde posting 4 losses had a .784 save percentage and was pulled twice in 4 of those starts! Not to mention a poor 4.00 goal against average we can see Santos was the clear winner of this goalie battle during the regular season. It will be interesting to see if Santos can keep up his dominance against Vilde. If the series goes anything like the regular season between these two Kelowna could be in trouble.

495 words

Task #5: - Series winning goal PbP - game #4: ANC vs KEL

We’re in the fifth minute of action here folks as a dump in by McLovin will see the Armada penalty killers get some reprieve.

The puck is loose in the Knights end an errant pass comes off the backboards Vilde skirting the trapezoid picks it up and sends it to the red line! Elias is there. Oh my! You have to watch out for that puck moving ability of Vilde, that’s going to burn you all game! 

The knight’s transition through the neutral zone with numbers, Elias dishes it off to Mack crossing the blue line with speed driving the net, fires a shot!

Oh that one just missed on the short side. He’s been looking for that spot all game. Mack like a man possessed he chases down the puck! The Armada defense are just standing still. 

Mack takes the puck and circles the hash marks. Still skating he’s leaning in for another shot! Again he misses the net!

He needs to start taking those chances, luckily the Knights are buzzing Maddox chases down the puck as Eric Kirby tries to settle it at the boards.

Maddox lifts his stick! He just took him for all he’s got, Kirby chasing. Maddox with the puck still he’s got Kirby all over him, shoots! SCORES! SENSATIONAAAAL effort by Maddox to put the Knight’s up by 1!
GoalGoalGoalGoal:goal

[Image: tumblr_inline_nx7ctlPUXF1rwjmyy_500.gif]

One nil for the Knights, this play is all Maddox, take a look as he chases down Kirby who can’t quite settle the puck. A quick stick lift, he strips him of the puck and heads straight for the net, blown defensive coverage leaves him open.

A perfectly placed shot top corner, goaltender had no chance on that one. What a beautiful play by Maddox to open the scoring!

294 words

[Image: 9d3oxij.png] [Image: 8xyKeyf.png]
[Image: KillTheArchitect.gif]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2018, 09:18 AM by Gaia Mormont.)

Task One:

The player I'm picking from an eliminated team is Ignatius Blunt and I'm slotting him into the second line of the Kelowna Knights just so he can be a stud along with Cash Savage. The line would look like this:
Centre: Fenton Uriel
Left Wing: Cash Savage
Right wing:  Ignatius Blunt

This would be the boss-est line that ever played in the SMJHL Playoffs and they would lead the Kelowna Knights to the 4 Star Cup easily defeating the opponent with game changing stats with Savage scoring nine goals in the finals, Blunt scoring another seven and Fenton easily getting the MVP with 18 points in a single series.

The rest of the team would benefit as well, allowing this superstar line-up to play fifty percent of the game because they are magical and everyone, including their own team mates would enjoy just sitting back and reaping in the glory of their existence.

Task Two:

Top Five crowd fights in the Playoffs

1. [Image: CHOKE.JPG]
These fans thought a little choke play in the crowd would be funny.  Turns out the one dude actually tried to kill the other.

2. [Image: fans-get-into-a-shoving-match-ahead-of-g...-round.jpg]
Again, fans +too much beer = fighting before they even get into the arena

3.[Image: untitled-31.gif?w=1000]
This started innocently enough as a fight for a loose puck that turned into a charge for attempted murder.  The puck whereabouts remains  unknown

4.[Image: fan-fight-leafs-bruins-game-3.png]
A bunch of Maple Leaves Fans showed up at  Vancouver Whalers game and were promptly beaten up by the home crowd.

5. [Image: screen-shot-2017-03-06-at-6-38-49-pm.jpg...600&crop=1]
Troy McClure III actually climbed over the boards at one point to beat the literal shit out of an opponent fan.  He still scored a goal and got 2 assists before this happened.

Task Three:

InterviewHow excited are you to be making the playoffs in your rookie year?

I.B. I am very excited.

InterviewCan you elaborate on that a bit?

I.B. I am very, very excited.

InterviewWho were the stars of your team?

I.B. Many stars on our team.  Is good team.

InterviewAlright... Can you tell us who was the standout?

I.B. Gvidas was the best.

InterviewIn what ways?

I.B.  All ways.  Good player

InterviewWhat was your favourite moment in the regular season?

I.B. When Troy beat up the water boy of other team.  That kid bleeds lots.

InterviewThat is not good.

I.B. Good? no.  Funny.

InterviewIt sounds like there were a lot of shenanigans in your locker room.  Tell me about one.

I.B.  Troy beat up our own water boy.  We all laugh.  

InterviewIs there anyone Troy didn't beat up?

I.B.  No.  All get punched with stick by Troy.  It makes us best.  We skate fast because Troy chase up ice and hit us if we don't score so we skate fast and get better because Troy kill us if we don't.   Is good captain.  Make us all better.

InterviewSo would you say Troy is a motivator?

I.B. I don't know what means that but Troy is good.  He make us all play better or we end up bleeding with the water boy.

InterviewCan you tell us more about your seaso.......... oh shit!?!

~Troy interrupts the interview and punches the Sportscaster in the face.  The interview was concluded.~

Task Four:

[Image: vRtM2aR.png]

Task Five:

Kelowna Knights Versus Vancouver Whalers

Final Game, Scoring by Kelowna Break down:

In the first period, a beautiful goal by Cash Savage was started out in his own end by Fenton Uriel. He made a great steal of the puck behind his own net and streaked forward like a flash in a fire pan. He dodged a check on the blue line and made a falling pass to Ryan Gardiner. Gardiner then took the puck to the opposing end and fired a rocket from the top of the circle. The goalie made a great save but left a big fat juicy rebound and Cash Savage was all over it like Oprah on a baked ham. It was a fast goal in the first minute of play and let Vancouver know that Kelowna was there to play.

In the third period, Matej Elias made the Kelowna fans fall to their knees in praise as he rocked the kasbah with the help of Peter Walker and Elias Svensson. A tricky little set up from the defense gave the forward line a man advantage on the rush and they did not fail to capitalize on the play.

In overtime, Ryan Gardiner became a god amongst men as he scored the Cup winner with the help of Svensson and Savage. The line of wonder hammered home the winner and led Kelowna to their 3rd straight up cup.

Yay Kelowna.

[Image: WcULpFF.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 08:40 PM by Bonk.)

Task #1 -
If I were to replace a player from the finals, it would have to be the Kelowna Knights rookie Callum MacElroy. During the regular season, Mr. MacElroy was unable to get a single goal or single assist not a single point for the entire 50 game regular season and was a minus two. The player I would have to replace him with would be Troy McClure III of the Colorado Raptors. Troy McClure posted a staggering 46 points during the regular season. Those 46 were made up of 10 goals and 36 assists. In addition to those offensive contributions, Mr. McClure also brought a strong scrappy physical game.  Troy was able to have 125 hits and racked up 110 penalty minutes. Those number would have been more then welcomed by the Kelowna Knights. I would have imaged the Mr. McClure would have been able to rack up two or three goals and have seven or eight assists, while having about 25 hits in the tens  games that were played by the Kelowna Knights this post season.
Words ~176

Task #2 –

The five celebrities most likely to throw a beer at a Vancouver Whalers.

Evangeline Lilly
[Image: 200w_d.gif]
Do not let the pretty face fool you the Kelownaian is a fierce Knights fan

Taylor Kitsch
[Image: 200w_d.gif]
The former gambit actor has been known to get rowdy at Knights games

Paul Johansson
[Image: giphy-downsized.gif]
As the vampire Dmitri, on the show Van Helsing, Paul has drank a lot of blood. Although this SMJHL finals, nothing would make him happier than feeding on the Whalers life force.

Lauren Glazier
[Image: MV5_BMjgy_NDVk_Zm_Ut_MWJi_MC00_Yz_Fi_LTg...qc_Gde.jpg]
She was a sniper in Red Sparrow but now she is rooting for all of the Knights snipers

Jillian Harris
[Image: 2645_content_Jill-_Harris-_JF.gif]
Jillian Harris would remake your house on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, but now she wants the Knights to remake the faces the Vancouver Whalers

Task #3 –

Interview So Lil’ Manius what can to tell me about this past season.

How do you think the season went we were 20, 24, and 6 and missed the playoffs? I cannot believe I am getting interviewed about season where my team the St. Louis Scarecrows gets shut out of the playoffs, gee thanks.  Especially considering this is a league where 75% of the teams make the playoffs.  Can I interview you about painful memory some time? Have you ever had a pet die?

Interview What do you think the Crows could have done differently this past season. That would have made for a better season?

We could have scored more goals and played better defense thus providing a chance to do something in the playoffs. That would probably would have been a good starting point.  Although just one more win would have really provided all that was needed as the Crows were tied point wise with the Montreal Militia, the sixth place team in the playoffs. But the Crows failed to make the playoffs because the Militia one more lousy win.  

Interview Thank you for your time Mr. Manius. Hope next season works out better for you.

Yeah it been a blast, I hope next season is better as well.

Words~211

Task #4 -
It was a long brutal season and the finals are looking, a lot like the regular season. The Number One Team in the SMJHL versus the Number Two in the SMJHL. The number one team, the Vancouver Whalers playing the number two team, the Kelowna Knights.  Both teams finished the season with the best two records in the SMJHL.  Both teams had the best goals differential in the SMJHL. Both teams had the best home records and the best records in the road.  Looking at the goalie match in the SMJHL finals is, as you would expect it to be. With the teams with the best goals against average this past season, the Vancouver Whalers, against the team with the second best goals against average, the Kelowna Knights. You have Greg Santos for Vancouver with a league leading 2.39 GAA versus Kata Vilde for Kelowna Knights who was second in the league with his 2.50 GAA.  When it comes to shut out neither goal tender can compete with Cedric Robinson’s five shuts but Greg Santos had three shuts while Kata Vilde was unable to muster one shutout. Although you did have the league leader in wins Kata Vilde with 29, versus the Greg Santos who was second in the league in win with 28. Therefore, to summarize the series and the goaltenders in this finals match up are the best in SMJHL and this series should be a tight and competitive finals.

Words ~242

Task #5 -
Heading into game six of the SMJHL finals between the Vancouver Whalers and the Kelowna Knights. The Kelowna Knights were sitting pretty with a three to two series lead. The goal scoring started 23 seconds into the first period with Cash Savage getting his fifth goal of the playoffs for the Kelowna Knights with assists going to Ryan Gardiner and Fenton Uriel.  The Whaler’s Max Mauldin matched that goal eight seconds later for his first of the post season with helpers from Jussi Hammanen and Noah Nowes.  Then the Whalers were able to take the lead in the game at about the eight-minute mark of the first period behind David Kastrba’s fourth goal of the post season with assists from both Jean-Luc Picard and Soren Kierkegaard.   Close to the seven-minute mark if the second period, the Kelowna Knights were able to tie the game thanks to a goal Matej Elias, who was assisted by both Peter Walker and Elias Svensson.  After that, the score would remain that for the rest of regulation and until 5:25 of the first over time. Which was when Ryan Gardiner had his most important career goal and his fourth of the post season. That goal was assisted by Elias Svensson and Cash Savage and ended up winning the game and the series for the Kelowna Knights.
Words ~221

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Task #1 -Pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them into an existing playoff lineup. Who do they replace, why, how do their playoff stats look? 

I think the most interesting change would be Leshaun King to Anchorage for there playoff run. The reason why is because it could have happened. He was picked #2 overall with the Armada taking Aittokallio instead. Both of these players are fantastic and have a bright future ahead, but King was hot this season and, it may have carried over. I'm not sure how much he would have been able to help against Kelowna but, I do think he may have been able to tilt the scale more into their favor just by a sheer increase in the volume of shots. Something he really showed was his strong suit during the regular season. He may have not been the most efficient shooter but, opportunity is King (pun intended) and thats what he likes to create when he's out there, whether its for himself or his team, he wants to make sure someone in his colors hits the back of the net.

Task #2 - Make a top 5 list for the finals. Top 5 goals, top 5 players, top 5 noteworthy people in the audience for one of the games, whatever you want. No word count, but if you just list 5 names, you won't get the full 2 tpe. Be a little creative. 

Top 5 Crowd Signs

5 -  At Vancouver Durring the Finals, a feisty young fan brought a sign that instructed her home team to do exactly what she wanted them to do. Its simply said "Killowna". Though this sign was not enough to turn the tides.

4 - A home game for Anchorage early in the season. A fan held a sign behind the bench over Rex Kirkby it stated " I wish I were in Canada". I guess even the fans in Anchorage can find some humor in their situation.

3 - In Montreal one sign gathered a lot of attention when the cameras caught it. It was specifically a blank white sign, but it seemed to have Marco Raantelis mustache on it. Not a drawing mind you, a giant mustache made out of some sort of hair or fabric.

2 - Whenever in Halifax, Troy McClure out of Colorado would tend to run into a strange fan with a seat next to the penalty box. He had a fun time tallying up McClures total penalty minutes, writing it on the sign and, rubbing it in his face.

1 - It was rude, it was brutal, but a Montreal fan predicted a sweep against Colorado, and he brought out the broom to signal his beliefs. The handle was a drawing, but the broom part was that damn giant mustache again.

Task #3 - Either write an interview with your player about your team's playoff hopes (or if you're on an eliminated team, an interview about your team's season in review) OR create a program cover for one of the games in any playoff series. 
Requirements: Written option - At least 200 words. Graphic option - Logos of both teams in the matchup and at least one player render.

RT - I'm Rick Tucci and today we'll be speaking with Marco Raanteli, Defense man for the Montreal Militia going into his sophomore season. Thank's for joining us, I hope you don't mind if we jump right to it. You guys were eliminated by the Vancouver Whalers on your way to the championship matchup. The series ended 4-1 in their favor, exactly how unexpected was this?

MR - Well, you never really go out there expecting to lose, but I did feel like we had a lot more fire in the tank than what showed. I think some of it was nerves, we had a lot more rookies out there, and things just didn't line up much after the first game. I'd like to think we kept it closer than the series says.

RT - Now what are your own expectations next season? For yourself, and Montreal as a whole?

MR - I expect a Championship, and I always will down here. The way the SMJHL landscape changes, you usually aren't far off from the chase, and I know we have a real solid group of players who are only getting better. We lost a few key pieces, but I know we have the personnel in line to step up.

RT - Thanks for youre time, and I wish you luck with your career, and seasons ahead!

Task #4 - Write 200 words or make a graphic highlighting any goalie matchup of the series. 

Task #5 - Write a goals highlight play by play for one series winning game OR make an infographic featuring stats from a series winning game.
Requirements: At least 200 words for written / at least 4 stats featured in at least 2 different ways for graphics (bar graphs, pie graphs, list of names, etc)

Panthers  Militia   Militia   Panthers

deadline is tonight at 11:59 Eastern, so finish ur shit if you haven't

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

TASK 1: I would take RW- Adam Taylor and put them on Vancouver’s lineup. Even if they don’t have room for them on the wing, he’s actually a fantastic center, and closing in on 80 defense means he plays responsibly anywhere in the lineup. Not a lot of teams can score on a line with Taylor on it, and that is so very important in the playoffs, especially the finals.

Another underrated side of Taylor’s game is that he improves everyone around him. He can be a scorer or a passer, sniper or playmaker. If he’s not the one scoring you better check the scoresheet because you bet your ass it was Taylor setting him up. He comes up in big games and when you need him to play offense, he plays offense, and when you need defense, he’s your choice too. A player with vision and hockey IQ that every team covets and it is a guarantee that he will take your team to the next level.

I believe if Taylor was in the playoffs instead of on a team that missed, he would have 7 points in 11 games but a +6 plus minus rating.

TASK 2: Top 5 games of the finals:

1. Game 6: This is the legendary cup winning game by Kelowna. It looked like Vancouver had the momentum to tie the series after the first period, but Kelowna scores in the second and again in overtime to send the Whalers packing. Congrats on the threepeat Kelowna!
2. Game 2: This was the unbelievable game where Santos stood on his head to stop 40 shots and complete the shutout. Fans and players alike were in awe as Santos single-handedly earned that win for Vancouver. If our jaws could drop lower than the floor, they would’ve.
3. Game 4: Another exciting OT game to allow Kelowna to tie the series up and gain back some much needed momentum. A low scoring game but the goalies made it exciting by playing amazingly and keeping the fans on the edge of their seats.
4. Game 3: The first overtime game of the series and a taste of what is to come, this game was an absolute goal-fest and really showcased the offense these teams can bring. Back and forth games led up to an action-packed overtime where eventually the Whalers came out on top.
5. Game 5: One of the most evenly matched games of the series, both teams struggled to score on some outstanding goaltenders, but Kelowna was able to overcome Santos and pot 2 in the second period to take the 3-2 series lead. Very exciting stuff.

TASK 3: Statement from Aleister Cain on St. Louis’s Season Performance

Ah what can you say, it was definitely a learning season for a lot of us. Tons of new guys from the SMJHL draft, most of em still learning the ropes and getting used to actual training and all that. I was really impressed by how fast these guys rose to the task and really tried to soak every bit of knowledge they could to become the best players they can. It’s a huge honor to be on a team with these guys and even though we’re sitting out this year, next year we aren’t done playing until we lift that cup!

I’m not upset by the goaltending situation, because we had three goalies and two of them were better than me. The GMs and coaches just wanted to give the team the best chance to succeed, and if that means sitting me in the press box until I’m ready to carry the workload that is one hundred percent okay with me. I can’t wait to be the go-to guy next year and I know I won’t let my teammates down.

I’m extremely proud to be part of a fantastic St. Louis organization that instills the value of work and the champion attitude from day one. We will all be working our asses off in the upcoming season to prove to our GMs that they made the correct decision in drafting us.

TASK 4: The goalie matchup of this series is one for the ages, as both Santos and Vilde are formidable goalies that any contending team would be lucky to have. As we look at their regular season stats, we find that while Vilde had more games played, they had almost identical W:L:OTL stat lines, with Vilde at 29-8-2 and Santos at 28-6-1. Vilde played excellently but was not able to record any shutouts, where Santos nabbed 3 for the season. Both goalies were outstanding for their teams and a huge reason both teams made it to the finals. Santos beats Vilde in the save percentage category but only by a little, posting a .903 s% to Vilde’s .892.

It was clash of the titans in the final as these goalies battled it out, forcing overtime in 3 out of 6 games. Santos stood on his head for most of the series, as the Knights just continued hammering shot after shot trying to get him to break. Unfortunately for him, they did get him to break enough to beat the Whalers and take home the cup. Vilde proved himself on the biggest stage, but props to Santos for hanging in there as well. What a matchup and what a series.

TASK 5: Series winning game- Armada beats Falcons 5 to 2

Period 1:
0:48 seconds in, Bust is hit by Siddals and loses the puck. He gets back up and chases after Siddals, pickpocketing him right at the Falcon’s blue line! He rushes in and shoots!.... SCORES!
Up over the shoulder of Robinson giving the Armada a one goal lead.

11:25- Detroit rushes up the ice, and the puck finds its way to Paquette. Paquette dekes the defender and is alone with the goalie! Makes another move… oh! Saved by Blue! No wait!
It trickles in! Paquette scores and ties the game for the Falcons! What a goal!

Period 2:

13:50- Detroit sets up in the Armada zone, passing around the outside, finds Pingu in the slot! RIPS IT! SCORES! Fantastic dish by Richter to set up Pingu right in the high slot. Fantastic passing play by the Falcons to gain the lead for the first time in the game.
18:05- Reagan takes it in the zone, shoots a clapper! OOH! Hard one blocked by Vicklund, but wait! Its loose! Kolesnikovs picks it up and shovels a backhand RIGHT UP TOP! What a move by Kolesnikovs! The Armada tied it back up! Insane back and forth goals by both teams fighting for this win.

Period 3-

3:10- Both teams are very tentative to start the period, and there’s no clear momentum so far- OH! Natastado shot it and caught Robinson by surprise! Right in the five hole! He’s gonna want that one back, and just as I was saying there’s no clear momentum, the Armada take a 3-2 lead early in the third.

8:48- Aittokallio wins the faceoff over to Stevenson Jr. who RIPS one! OH! Great save by robinson with the left pad but the rebound bounced out to Bust who SCORES!!! Wow what a lucky bounce to grab his second of the night. The Armada gain a commanding 2 goal lead, but there’s still time left for the Falcons to get back in this.

Back in the neutral zone, McGirthesons takes the faceoff against Pingu. Detroit loses the faceoff, and the Armada make an immediate rush into the Falcons zone. The puck is moved to Natostado who has looked great tonight, playing with confidence. SCORES! HIS second of the night as well! These guys are on fire! They might have just put this one away as the coach is signalling to Lewis to take the baseball cap off and gear up. Looks like Robinson is done for the night.

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Task 1 (159 words):

VAN Third line:  Leshaun King - Max Mauldin  - Luke Thomason

An already effective third line, Leshaun King could make an immediate impact powering up Vancouver’s depth scoring.  Pushing Benis Smol to the third line and removing Guts O’Bigbers from the lineup, King is a highly effective scoring forward who is strong on the dot and could allow Vancouver’s third line to match up against second lines to relieve pressure.  King is dangerous as a playmaker and a goal-scorer, and could easily be good for seven points in his rookie playoff season, scoring 3 goals and 4 assists with a +1 or higher.  O’Bigbers just couldn’t make a real impact in the playoffs, but Benis Smol could have flourished with an easier assignment as well.  A Vancouver lineup playing King in depth, combining his on-ice presence and off-ice leadership, could have the legs to take Kelowna to seven games, and maybe even win the Four Star Cup.

Task 2 (211 words):

Kelowna was a big hit for this year’s SMJHL playoff chasers, and the city really flourished with a large influx of tourists.  Here is SSPN’s Top Five Popular Post-Game Places in Kelowna:

5: Tonics Pub and Grille

[Image: ls.jpg]

It’s all about the wings here—hungry fans from both teams could be seen entering en masse and leaving with white clamshells full of signature chicken wings every day of the playoffs.

4: Salt & Brick

[Image: salted11.jpg]

This stylish wine bar serving up tapas indoors and outdoors was a huge hit with tourists from up north, enjoying the unseasonably warm weather with convenient patio seating.  Whalers fans really appreciated its lack of Kelowna branding, while Kelowna fans enjoyed the post-game discounts when the team won!

3: O’Flannigan’s Pub

[Image: flash11.jpg]

A traditional Irish bar with upgraded fixtures, O’Flannigan’s won over the crowds with live music and Guinness specials after every Knights home game during the playoffs.

2: Jammer’s Liquor Store

[Image: o.jpg]

Sometimes you don’t deserve a nice drink in a fun bar.  Our reporters told us they saw men, women, and children in Vancouver jerseys leaving Jammer’s with paper bags every night of the playoff finals.

1: Playtime Casino

[Image: 10446158_web1_180201-BPD-casino.jpg]

Everyone loves to press their luck a little, and the Playtime Casino reported a record weekend of sports betting and table players during this year’s playoffs.

Task 3:  (216 words)

Cedric Robinson’s confidence about the Falcons’ playoff appearance is abundant and infectious.  “I’m so --- jacked up about this, it’s super exciting,” he nearly shouts in a small arena side room to an unexpecting SSPN reporter, “nobody thought we would be here but we are and now we get a chance.”  Robinson is barely breathing between thoughts and sentences.  Our reporter looks at the cameraman and asks if Robinson is going to pass out.  “We have all the skill in the world and everyone is always improving and that thing I said in that presser that was really clever about players taking over games and seams and whatever,” he continues, expelling words like a balloon pricked with a needle, “we’re gonna get there and crush it and it’s gonna be incredible for the whole team.”  Our reporter tried, but only got one question in edgewise.  “Are you ready for the playoffs?”  Robinson became quiet.  He sat and thought, contemplating the question.  “I mean, as ready as I’m going to be?  It’s hard.”  The media team sat and watched Robinson, lost in thought and staring at the ceiling for several minutes.
Robinson shrugged.

“It’s gonna be awesome anyways, so who cares if I’m ready?” 

Cedric Robinson didn’t stop talking until our reporter was far out of earshot.

Task 4:  (204 words)

Most think of “goalie battles” as low-scoring affairs, but the longevity of a goaltender can create a battle as well.  The six-game Vancouver-Kelowna final was high-scoring but contained three overtime finishes; games that test a goaltender’s mettle when the pressure is on.  Vancouver’s Greg Santos did a fantastic job holding shots back, facing 272 to Kata Vilde’s 213 over the full playoff season.  But unfortunately, volume adds up as Santos posted a struggling 2.62 GAA.  Kata Vilde managed a very impressive 1.71 GAA over the full playoffs, shutting down high-quality chances and having some luck from a quality defensive corps in front of him.  These statistics paint a picture that explains Vilde’s single overtime loss compared to Santos’s three.

The most telling story of this match-up is in games and minutes played.  Kata Vilde only played 10 games for 630 minutes in the playoffs, winning eight.  Santos played a similar duration, 642 minutes, but across 11 games.  Even skaters don’t quite understand how taxing a single extra game can be on the psyche of a goaltender.  Every second on the ice counts, and that extra game likely played a significant role in Vancouver’s inability to get over the hump against Kelowna in the finals.

Task 5:  (369 words)

0:23, 1st period
Fenton Uriel pushes up the neutral zone.  Uriel slides out a pass to Gardiner, back to Uriel.  Uriel moves in, behind-the-legs pass back to Gardiner.  Savage is wide open in the slot—where is the defense?  Gardiner sauces it over a stick to Savage who shoots…scores!! Cash Savage opens up the scoring early, 1-0 Kelowna.

0:31, 1st period
Benis Smol wins the faceoff back to Noah Nowes.  Nowes with the horizontal pass to Hammanen, chipped forward to Max Mauldin.  The defense falls back and, oh no!  The defense is tripped up!  Mauldin sees the opportunity!  He drags the puck around the defense and it’s a wide open shot!  The wrister…Scores!  Max Mauldin takes advantage of a slip-up on the breakout and ties this game up 1-1.

8:38, 1st period
Kierkegaard picks up the cleared puck in the defensive end, carries it up the gut.  Options on both sides, Kierkegaard passes to Picard.  Picard catches the puck, moves up.  Long cross-crease pass, right on the tape to Kastrba!  He tips it on net…Goal!  It pings off the post and in! Vancouver turns their fortunes around, 2-1 Whalers.

6:52, 2nd period
Uriel wins the faceoff in the neutral zone.  Drives into the zone, passes back to Svensson.  Svensson evaluates the play, he’s really holding this puck on the blue line.  Andani moves in on the forecheck but Svensson has a chance, passes out to Peter Walker.  Walker takes a shot, misses the net.  Picks up his own rebound, snaps one off from the faceoff dot…Goal!  We’ll have to see the tape on that one, I think Elias was in front there.  He might have gotten a piece of it…yes!  The puck takes a weird bounce off Matej Elias’s skate, but his foot was still.  This one is going to count!  We’re all even again in game six, 2-2!

5:25, OT1
Alex Andani wins the faceoff.  A pass up the ice, intercepted by Savage!  Savage passes to Svensson and we have a rush into the offensive zone.  All hands on deck, it’s a race!  Svensson pulls back, fakes the shot and it’s off to Gardiner.  Gardiner shoots…scores!  It’s over in overtime, the Knights have won the Four Star Cup!

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2018, 03:23 PM by DannyMethane.)

For this task, we're removing Vladislav Konstantin. Vladislav was traded to Kelowna with 11 games remaining in the regular season and he did not make much of an impact at all. Notching only 1 assist in those 11 games, then only scoring one goal in the playoffs, Vlad's goal didn't make a huge impact, not being a game tying or game winning goal. For the purposes of this task, we'll remove Vlad and slot in Adam Taylor of the St. Louis Scarecrows. Adam led the Crows rookies in scoring, only two points out of breaking into the top 10 in rookie scoring. Replacing Vlad with Adam would have solidified Kelowna's cup much earlier, especially as his point total rocketed toward the end of the season. Of course, there's no telling how someone is going to react to the pressures of the Playoffs, but Adam is one of the hardest working players on the Scarecrows and it's almost certain he would have gained more than one point in the playoffs. (WC:169)

TOP 5 BAR FIGHTS OF THE FOUR STAR CUP FINALS

For this task, I'll be going over 5 bar fights between members of the fandom for both Kelowna and Vancouver

5. Steve Bozek vs. Both Sedin Twins

Bozek, a former NHL player born and raised in Kelowna sprouted into fisticuffs with both Daniel and Henrik Sedin. The 57 year old handled the Swedish duo so handily, both of them claimed to be Daniel after the fight was over.

4. Alex Lifeson of Rush vs. Tim Millar of Protest the Hero

They punched the shit out of each other, then brought the house down with killer guitar solos. God I love Canada. Lifeson was spotted wearing a bloodstained Knights jersey, with Millar's name on the back.

3. Dudley Do-Right vs. Rocky and Bullwinkle

Famed cartoon characters took in game Six at a bar in Whitby Ontario. According to the police report, three pool cues, one six-ball, four bottles of Molson, and three gallons of maple syrup were on the list of insurance claims from the bar.

2. Evangeline Lilly vs. Fairuza Balk

Evangeline Lilly, The Wasp, attempted to kick some ass at the Hoser Hut in New York City, squaring off against Fairuza Balk, aka Vicki Valencourt. Seems Bobby Boucher taught her a thing or two about opening a can of whoopass, courtesy of Captain Insano.

1. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool vs Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern

It was a bloodbath, and everyone cheered as Ryan Reynolds' green CGI body lay lifeless on the floor.

I recently sat down with Adam Taylor of the St. Louis Scarecrows to go over his teams short comings this past season, as well as where they're going in the future. What follows is a transcript of our conversation.

Reporter: "Adam, thank you for taking the time to meet with me this afternoon. I know you're busy with training camp, so I know your time is valuable. I won't keep you long."

Adam Taylor: "Thanks," Adam Chuckles, "I've always got time for an interview or two."

R: "So, let's talk about this past season. How heartbreaking is it to miss the playoffs on a tie-breaker?"

AT: "Just, so very. So very heartbreaking. A couple goals here, a couple saves there. It weighs on you. The bad games really stick out when you think about them. One more point. One more loss that went to over time. So many scenarios. It's both saddening and maddening. Oh, that rhymes. Someone call Logan!"

R: Laughing, "How impressed or disappointed were you with your performance this season? You led the rookies on your team in scoring, that's got to count for something."

AT: "Yeah, it felt good leading the rookies on the Crows. I'm still ticked I missed so many mile stones by one point. 9 goals, 14 assists. Just so close. I'm upset, about it, sure, but I'm rolling that into training for the future, so I don't run into those issues again. I'll lead my team next season, breaking into the top 10 in scoring. Our GMs have a great plan, and we'll win a cup here before I'm gone.

R: "Big claim there. Any idea on how long you'll stay down?"

AT: "Talking to my SHL GM about that now. I'd love to stay down three or four more seasons, but it depends on when the Blizzard need me. Could be three, could be one. Worst part is, I won't know until I get called up."

(WC: 325)

[Image: sd0PDvN.png]

What an exciting finish to this series in game six. Tonight's game went to overtime with the Kelowna Knights eventually winning the Four Star Cup. Let's take a look at the goals and what helped the game along.

The first period held three fifths of the games scoring, starting with a goal that just proves you get goals by going to the dirty areas.

Cash Savage tipped in a rocket from teammates Ryan Gardiner and Fenton Uriel. Winning a key faceoff in the Whalers zone, Fenton Uriel passed it out to a wide open Ryan Gardiner who smacked the ever-loving shit out of the puck. A beautiful tip in by Cash Savage sends the Knights up 1-0 early in game six.

Not to be out done, 9 seconds later Max Mauldin scores on a bang bang play involving himself, Jussi Hammanen, and Noah Nowes off of the ensuring faceoff, to tie the game at 1 all.

Lots of missed shots, hits, and lost pucks peppered the score-sheet between the second and third goals, but David Kastrba put his name in the goal column at the 8:38 mark of the first period. Soren Kierkegaard won the face-off in the Whalers zone, and the Whalers rushed down the ice. Jean-Luc Picard mad an out-of-this-world pass to Kastrba, who sniped one bar downski to give the Whalers their go-ahead (and final) goal.

The game remained 2 to 1 for the rest of the first period and only changed once more during regulation during the second period.

Fenton Uriel won another face-off to start this play. Elias Svensson recovered a missed shot by Peter Walker, fed the puck right back to him, and Matej Elias deflected the puck past Santos' right ear, tying the game at two.

And the goal that needs no introduction. One goal to rule them all.

Ryan Gardiner became the hero of Kelowna at 5:25 of the first overtime period when he sniped a beautiful five hole shot against Greg Santos. Assisted by Elias Svensson and Cash Savage, the goal caused an eruptive celebration on the Kelowna bench and triggered multiple celebrations across Kelowna, as well as a few riots in Vancouver. (WC: 362)

[Image: dannymethane.gif]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: S7jeR9I.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 11:54 PM by Moosecop.)

Task #1:
For task 1 I'm taking the number 1 overall pick, my captain over for the Halifax Raiders, Leshaun King, and I'm slotting him into the Vancouver Whalers third line. He'll be replacing Benis Smol and playing alongside his future team/linemate for the San Francisco Pride, Luke Thomason. This line really didn't get anything going at all during the playoffs in terms of the scoring department, which I guess is fine since they are the third line, but adding Leshaun King could have really changed that. As a rookie this season, King put up a fantastic 33 points (more than double what Smol had) on 14 goals and 19 assists in Halifax with a +11. He knows how to find the open man on the ice as well as the back of the net. If we slot King into that line I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire line double their production. Instead of 3 points from Thomason and 1 from Mauldin, I'd probably expect at least 2 or 3 more each.

Task #2:
Top 5 playoff performances:
1. Daddy Mack from Kelowna; Mack led everyone in the playoffs with 15 points on his way to the Four Star Cup victory.
2. Eriks Skalbergs from Vancouver; Skalsberg had the 2nd most points in the playoffs with 14 while leading his team to the finals where they would fall just short.
3. Kata Vilde from Kelowna; Vilde was the starting goalie for the cup champs, he had by far the best GAA and save% of all the goalies in the playoffs.
4. Geoff Moore from Vancouver; led all defensemen in points with 9 and took the most shots to the body for his goalie, great 2-way performance.
5. Muhammad McLovin; Surprise pick compared to these other ones. Only 2 points for the Anchorage winger but he managed to lead the playoffs in hits with 28 in just 9 games.

Task #3:
You know, coming into the season nobody had us pegged to do much of anything. We were a group of fresh, baby-faced rookies with no expectations on us. Almost the entire team had been acquired in the S42 SMJHL Draft so we knew we were going to have a lot of work to do if we wanted to even come close to looking like a passable team on the ice. Coach Augustus and Coach Garrett really instilled some pride and hope into us early on in training camp and before long we were on the ice, playing in real games, against guys that had just been drafted by SHL teams and looked like it. Maybe those teams early on took us a little too easy and didn't see us as much of a challenge because we got off to a great start in our opinion. We sat pretty securely in a playoff for almost the entire season and were really looking forward to showing everyone that a young squad like ours could get it done. Maybe we got a little too lax late, maybe other teams started taking us as seriously as they should have been, I don't know, whatever the case, we lost sight of the prize and ended up missing the playoffs after a 7 game winless streak to end the season. Don't expect that to be the case in S43. If you don't have the Raiders predicted as your champs you're going to look like a fool.

Task #4:
The Four Star Cup finals featured a fantastic goalie matchup between the Vancouver Whalers and Kelowna Knights. The Vancouver Whalers were going to be running Greg Santos out there between the pipes every night while the Kelowna Knights had Kata Vilde net minding for them. Both of these guys had amazing regular seasons and carried that over into the playoffs to get their respective teams to this point. Not only that but Vancouver also had one of the better backups available in Johannes Leitner should there be an injury or if things got too out of hand for them. Santos in the regular season was a monster. He played in 35 of his team's 50 games and led the league in both save percentage and goals against average with 90.3% and 2.39 respectively while managing to record 3 shutouts on the year, good for 2nd best. Obviously, it is no easy task to get one by him. On the other side of the ice Kelowna had a beast of their own in Kata Vilde. In 40 games in the regular season, he had the 4th best save percentage at 89.2% and he trailed slightly behind Santos in goals against average allowing just 2.5. Both of these guys performed up to their reputations in getting their teams to the finals, however, it would be Kelowna who would manage to edge out Vancouver for the Cup as he would lead the playoffs in save percentage and goals against average. Santos, on the other hand, would be bombarded with shots as he faced a playoff-leading 272 in 11 games, almost 60 more than Vilde.

Task #5:
Game 6 Kelowna vs Vancouver, Kelowna leads the series 3-2
Period 1: 19 seconds in and Vancouver is facing a defensive zone faceoff. Fenton Uriel wins the faceoff back to Ryan Gardiner for Kelowna, Gardiner takes a quick wrister right away, Santos stops it with a kick save but it bounces right out in front where Cash Savage has a big empty net. 1-0 Knights. Ensuing faceoff after the goal, Benis Smol wins it for Vancouver over to Max Mauldin who walks across the line quickly and fires a big slapper top shelf. Quick response from the Whalers to tie it. 1-1 tie. 8:13 into the 1st period and Soren Kierkegaard faces off against Michael O'Dowd in the Whalers zone. Kierkegaard wins it, passes to David Kastrba and he skates it through the neutral zone all by himself. A quick deke on the defensemen and he sees a bit of daylight to get a shot away that goes high blocker and beats the tender. 2-1 Vancouver.

Period 2: 6:52 into the 2nd period, after an offside whistle Uriel takes a neutral zone faceoff against Vancouver's Alex Andani. Uriel wins it to his winger Peter Walker who takes a shot wide from far out. It deflects off the back boards behind the net, Matej Elias picks up the loose puck and buries it for Kelowna. 2-2 tie.

Overtime: After a scoreless 3rd period both teams headed to the locker room to prepare themselves for OT. Kelowna a goal away from winning it all, Vancouver needing 1 to force a game 7. Kelowna was pressing and Vancouver was getting tired in their own zone. 4:36 into the OT period Kelowna was throwing everything at Santos and Whalers defenseman Buck Maverick felt he needed to clear it, unfortunately he iced it so his tired line had to remain on the ice for the defensive zone faceoff. Andani would win the faceoff but would eventually lose the puck. Cash Savage takes it, pass to the high slot to Elias Svensson who pump fakes a shot, everyone bites, he passes down to the side of the crease where Ryan Gardiner is poaching. Gardiner with the easy one-time tap it scores! Game over. Series over. Kelowna is crowned SMJHL champions.