Create Account

SHL 50 Albums

Hi guys, life is a bitch but I didn't wanna let this idea die so I'm coming back where I left off, sorry for the wait, hopefully gonna aim to do a review every day or every other day from this point on now that things have slowed down for me!

Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled (1991) - @DrunkenTeddy

Favourite Song - Take The Power Back

Thoughts - This is an album I've always listened to bits and pieces of that I never really got to sit down and enjoy in it's entirety until now, so thanks for giving me the chance to Teddy! I first listened to these gays way back in 8th grade where an old friend of mine introduced them to me, as I was just getting into other rock and metal acts like Iron Maiden and AC/DC. The rap rock style of RATM has such a distinct old school feel to it and is just impossible to listen to without getting pumped up, which ended up being a big help as I happened to listen to this album during a work out! It's angsty, punchy, hard-hitting, going in an entirely different direction to the Talk Talk album I reviewed months ago. Vocally the album is such a treat to listen, taking clear influence from both punk and rap, but also taking portions mid song to go almost spoken word in its style. All of that contributes to a project that never feels boring or repetitive, but always feels thematically consistent. The guitar work is super fun and interesting through the whole album, with super punk, heavy riffs on songs like Killing In The Name or Freedom, to slower stuff like Settle for Nothing, to the almost alien-sounding, more minimalistic and simple parts in Fistful of Steel. This album is dripping in anti-government, reject-authority song writing, from its obvious lyrics, but also in the production and instrumentals, but never comes across as overtly whiny or preachy. It's a classic album, and one everyone should listen to at least once in their life (especially if you forgot to make a workout playlist before heading to the gym).

Google's RNG has selected the number 37, so I'll be listening to Jess and the Ancient One's Self Titled project next, review out tomorrow around the afternoon, thanks to @DannyMethane for the suggestion!

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

03-18-2019, 02:54 PMnour Wrote: Hi guys, life is a bitch but I didn't wanna let this idea die so I'm coming back where I left off, sorry for the wait, hopefully gonna aim to do a review every day or every other day from this point on now that things have slowed down for me!

Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled (1991) - @DrunkenTeddy

Favourite Song - Take The Power Back

Thoughts - This is an album I've always listened to bits and pieces of that I never really got to sit down and enjoy in it's entirety until now, so thanks for giving me the chance to Teddy! I first listened to these gays way back in 8th grade where an old friend of mine introduced them to me, as I was just getting into other rock and metal acts like Iron Maiden and AC/DC. The rap rock style of RATM has such a distinct old school feel to it and is just impossible to listen to without getting pumped up, which ended up being a big help as I happened to listen to this album during a work out! It's angsty, punchy, hard-hitting, going in an entirely different direction to the Talk Talk album I reviewed months ago. Vocally the album is such a treat to listen, taking clear influence from both punk and rap, but also taking portions mid song to go almost spoken word in its style. All of that contributes to a project that never feels boring or repetitive, but always feels thematically consistent. The guitar work is super fun and interesting through the whole album, with super punk, heavy riffs on songs like Killing In The Name or Freedom, to slower stuff like Settle for Nothing, to the almost alien-sounding, more minimalistic and simple parts in Fistful of Steel. This album is dripping in anti-government, reject-authority song writing, from its obvious lyrics, but also in the production and instrumentals, but never comes across as overtly whiny or preachy. It's a classic album, and one everyone should listen to at least once in their life (especially if you forgot to make a workout playlist before heading to the gym).

Google's RNG has selected the number 37, so I'll be listening to Jess and the Ancient One's Self Titled project next, review out tomorrow around the afternoon, thanks to @DannyMethane for the suggestion!

Good review, I've always had a soft spot for that album, despite the weird repetition at the end of half their songs.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Oh man I forgot about this, now I'm excited!

03-18-2019, 03:21 PMGCool Wrote: Oh man I forgot about this, now I'm excited!

glad there's still interest! I'm looking to stay consistent with this

Aqua - Aquarium

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

KoRn - Life is Peachy

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Wakey!Wakey! - Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said the Last Time I Saw You...

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Jess and the Ancient Ones - Self Titled (2012) - @DannyMethane

Favourite Song - The Devil (In G Minor)

Thoughts - Love to see our first female-led artist here, and our first classic metal artist too! My only real exposure to more old school and classic metal has been older bands (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pantera etc.), so it's really cool to see music in that style still being made now! Before getting into the music itself, I'm a huge fan of the album artwork on this one, it's probably my favourite so far alongside Suftjan Stevens Illinois. Onto the music, the vocals are a huge stand out for me and kept me engaged through this whole album, Jess has got a great range and is really true to that older sound while still injecting a fresh take into it. I won't dwell on it too long but seeing female representation in a genre that is so male-dominated is really awesome, and just super refreshing. Instrumentally I found this album just as strong, love the guitar work a whole lot, but these guys have a really solid cast of instruments that break through in this album as well. Plenty of keyboard, organ and piano used throughout in really strong roles, and unconventionally for metal (as far as I know), are a few songs with some seriously great synth usage as well! Back to the guitar however, I am such a sucker for a good old fashioned guitar solo and this album certainly scratches that itch big time. The opening track Prayer for Death and Fire is a close second as my favourite track on the album, and probably serves as the best example this band's range of instruments and strong vocals coming together to produce some really truly phenomenal music, it's just killer and pretty much illegal not to head-bang too while listening. The Devil In G Minor remains my top choice for its really interesting stylistic change, shifting to a very Western feel and after a few listens has been the most standout track for me personally. My only complaint for this album is song length (I probably I also had with the Talk Talk album), as I find it hard to go back and listen to song that stretch into the 7 minute mark, but I suppose thats more a personal problem than anything else. All in all, a very fun album to listen to regardless, loved it!

Google's RNG has selected the number 32, so I'll be listening to Muse's Absolution next, review out tonight or tomorrow night, thanks to @FlappyGiraffe for the suggestion!

I've also started a playlist on Spotify for all of the favourites so far, which will be updated after every review and can be found...

HERE

03-20-2019, 10:51 AMnour Wrote: Jess and the Ancient Ones - Self Titled (2012)

Glad you enjoyed it!

[Image: dannymethane.gif]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: S7jeR9I.png]

If you’re still taking requests, I highly recommend NOIR by Smino. Great experimental rap album can’t say enough good things

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM