Create Account

AC Data - Measuring league growth
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 06:02 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

09-14-2018, 05:15 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
09-14-2018, 05:08 PMMike Izzy Wrote:
09-14-2018, 03:38 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
09-14-2018, 03:34 PMDannyMethane Wrote: I think it has a ton to do with the normalcy of the toxic culture and just general immaturity of some of the more outspoken members of the community. For every Pris and TML there's two Logan's or Formx's. Lots of inside jokes and chirps that might drive some people away. Furthermore, the progression can seem slow for people who just want to jump in and have fun (I have an idea for an Unlimited League that I'll need to explore further before bringing anything else to light), and a lot of people just can't or won't keep up with the weekly demands that the PT's and earning money commands.

Nobody is really immune so much as the rules being so casual that those who are more "edgy" are given a lot of leniency to make comments.

As far as the league plateauing, I think there is always going to be a cap for something like this. It is based around looking at numbers and requires a decent amount of work to actually be good, so it is going to be a turn off for a lot of people in general.

I don't think we necessarily have to keep growing. As long as we have a solid community and people who want to contribute to the league, that should be fine.

I tend to agree with argar. we all want to see the site continue to expand, but as of right now the community itself and the % of new members coming in and sticking with it seems to be in a healthy place.

King's post shows only an increase of one member per month. To be honest I think that's horrendously low.

yeah its gone up slow but the good news is the 200+ actives we have are quite commited to the site.. its a great core to build around which is why we should focus on the quality of new membership. To discuss kings query... i think what we are missing is that 1 additional spot aside from word of mouth and reddit to draw upon a large group of targeted members.... if we had a reddit2.0 type place where every 3 seasons we can do a regular draft followed by a reddit draft followed by the new recruitment source... we would see a huge uptic in the progression of quality members.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM by King.)

09-14-2018, 05:48 PMToeDragon84 Wrote: It's kinda crazy the site from 2010 that was used for like S1-8 or something has 1k members it was bumping for a year and a half. Maybe the #'s inflated somehow idk. Interesting to look back at though

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theshl/i...1cda7e5057

There was an SHL team in Vancouver? AND it was purple?!

I joined in the wrong era.

EDIT: Well actually I had an account in S2, but I can't find the username and password for it. But still.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

09-14-2018, 05:56 PMKing Wrote:
09-14-2018, 05:48 PMToeDragon84 Wrote: It's kinda crazy the site from 2010 that was used for like S1-8 or something has 1k members it was bumping for a year and a half. Maybe the #'s inflated somehow idk. Interesting to look back at though

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theshl/i...1cda7e5057

There was an SHL team in Vancouver? AND it was purple?!

I joined in the wrong era.

EDIT: Well actually I had an account in S2, but I can't find the username and password for it. But still.

King is a multi???

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

i bLaMe tHe pT aFfILiAtIoN
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 09:52 PM by Hallsy.)

09-14-2018, 03:28 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Rosters across the league (particularly SMJHL) hit a peak following reddit drafts and it’s hard to retain new members when there really aren’t any roster spots or ice time to go around

Expansion is the only way to add more roster spots/ice time but we aren’t able to support a 10 team smjhl during the lows that come between reddit drafts

I think an SHL expansion makes sense cause I feel like there are a lot of send downs at the moment. Would be curious if league wide numbers actually went up after each expansion.

EDIT: It actually went down afterwards after the last expansion.

09-14-2018, 09:45 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
09-14-2018, 03:28 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Rosters across the league (particularly SMJHL) hit a peak following reddit drafts and it’s hard to retain new members when there really aren’t any roster spots or ice time to go around

Expansion is the only way to add more roster spots/ice time but we aren’t able to support a 10 team smjhl during the lows that come between reddit drafts

I think an SHL expansion makes sense cause I feel like there are a lot of send downs at the moment. Would be curious if league wide numbers actually went up after each expansion.

Another SHL expansion would help alleviate the SMJHL logjam, for sure. I’m sure a significant portion of the new roster(s) would be comprised of players that would have otherwise been sent down.

I said as recently as last season that we need to wait to discuss expansion, but it really does feel like we’re getting to the point of it being necessary.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

09-14-2018, 09:55 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
09-14-2018, 09:45 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:

Another SHL expansion would help alleviate the SMJHL logjam, for sure. I’m sure a significant portion of the new roster(s) would be comprised of players that would have otherwise been sent down.

I said as recently as last season that we need to wait to discuss expansion, but it really does feel like we’re getting to the point of it being necessary.

Ya i generally agree to be honest. The new update scale probably hurt the numbers post-expansion too. The last updating scale happened around week 90 and Expansion happened at around ac 64.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2018, 10:23 PM by Avakael.)

I did some numbers on if an SHL expansion was possible in the middle of last season. We could have, in theory, operated at 16 teams, but it would have necessitated the callup of every single active prospect and some very creative trading just to ensure all teams could meet the minimum roster requirements. That's not factoring in this new class. We could potentially expand to 16, but you'd want to double check the numbers both this season and next, and I wouldn't do it unless the new teams could get in on the christmas reddit draft.

As for the SMJHL, leave it be. Those locker rooms can be half dead with only a couple active new faces at some points of the year- splintering that further may (theoretically) help reddit classes, but it would harm non reddit classes, leaving the SHL as a whole further dependant on reddit classes- which should be the opposite of all recruitment goals for the league.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2018, 02:50 AM by King.)

Another thing that I think would help our retention rate is increasing the junior TPE cap.

A lot of our losses seem to occur (so I’ve been told) after players first year and a half in junior. This is also where the TPE cap occurs. It can get pretty dry sitting and banking TPE until you have enough to be a useful SHL player. Upping it to say 450, wouldn’t ruin the sim, simon T is random enough, and I’ve tried skimming all 99 stat players in junior and they’re not scoring like 40 goals or anything. An extra 100 TPE would amount to 15-25 more stats invested. And keep players interested in developing there players while in junior for longer.

Edit: also writing this from my phone in bed at 3am so be gentle

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

like I said before ....

SHL Expansion

less players for SMJHL

help overall the league!

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

09-15-2018, 02:50 AMKing Wrote: Another thing that I think would help our retention rate is increasing the junior TPE cap.

A lot of our losses seem to occur (so I’ve been told) after players first year and a half in junior. This is also where the TPE cap occurs. It can get pretty dry sitting and banking TPE until you have enough to  be a useful SHL player. Upping it to say 450, wouldn’t ruin the sim, simon T is random enough, and I’ve tried skimming all 99 stat players in junior and they’re not scoring like 40 goals or anything. An extra 100 TPE would amount to 15-25 more stats invested. And keep players interested in developing there players while in junior for longer.

Edit: also writing this from my phone in bed at 3am so be gentle
I have a different idea on how to solve that, but I'll be giving it a separate discussion thread in the suggestion box.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

I think an SHL expansion would be usefull enough. From what Ive seen, the SHL comes to a point that you only run 3 distinct lines, and that requires you to have the 3rd line at higher TPE,If the SHL expands, then there will be more of a use for 350-500 tpe players who are sitting around just capping TPE, and no progression immediately. The callups to SHL will be higher, so then rookies in the SMJHL will have more playing time; which then getes them more excited about playing in the SHL. Because I know that only playing 10 minutes a night and only getting 12 points the entire seasons is offputting to new people

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

09-14-2018, 03:34 PMDannyMethane Wrote: I think it has a ton to do with the normalcy of the toxic culture and just general immaturity of some of the more outspoken members of the community. For every Pris and TML there's two Logan's or Formx's. Lots of inside jokes and chirps that might drive some people away. Furthermore, the progression can seem slow for people who just want to jump in and have fun (I have an idea for an Unlimited League that I'll need to explore further before bringing anything else to light), and a lot of people just can't or won't keep up with the weekly demands that the PT's and earning money commands.

Actually, league was more active back in the day when toxicity was even higher than it is now. The fights brought a lot of people to the forum, it was normal to see 100+ members in a fight thread, and they would often hit a ton of pages in a day

The glory days...

It's unfortunate AC's are really the only metric. For example, I'm active on the forums, as a GM, etc. but I didn't do AC's for about 2 months because I was busy and was feeling a bit burnt out on Bent. I wasn't inactive, I just wasn't doing them. There might be others like me who are active in their jobs and community but don't update every week/aren't TPE cum guzzlers

Unfortunately, it's really the only metric to use, as it's the easiest way to test activity

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

09-15-2018, 03:17 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote:

Actually, league was more active back in the day when toxicity was even higher than it is now. The fights brought a lot of people to the forum, it was normal to see 100+ members in a fight thread, and they would often hit a ton of pages in a day

The glory days...

It's unfortunate AC's are really the only metric. For example, I'm active on the forums, as a GM, etc. but I didn't do AC's for about 2 months because I was busy and was feeling a bit burnt out on Bent. I wasn't inactive, I just wasn't doing them. There might be others like me who are active in their jobs and community but don't update every week/aren't TPE cum guzzlers

Unfortunately, it's really the only metric to use, as it's the easiest way to test activity

Discord did kill a lot of the forum activity.

09-15-2018, 07:29 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
09-15-2018, 03:17 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote:

The glory days...

Discord did kill a lot of the forum activity.
For good reason too

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]