Create Account

HO elections

This is the result we get when HO removes elections. They can put in who they want so they can make the changes they want. We either go back to elections or continue to get fucked by asinine decisions from HO.

Assuming they actually allow us to have elections

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

09-16-2018, 03:44 PMCampinKiller Wrote: This is the result we get when HO removes elections. They can put in who they want so they can make the changes they want. We either go back to elections or continue to get fucked by asinine decisions from HO.

What would you deem asinine decisions from HO?

09-16-2018, 03:48 PMClint Eastwood Wrote:
09-16-2018, 03:44 PMCampinKiller Wrote: This is the result we get when HO removes elections. They can put in who they want so they can make the changes they want. We either go back to elections or continue to get fucked by asinine decisions from HO.

Gee, banning words is a good starting point

PatriotesUsaWhalers

09-16-2018, 03:50 PMCampinKiller Wrote:

How so?

09-16-2018, 03:50 PMClint Eastwood Wrote:
09-16-2018, 03:50 PMCampinKiller Wrote:

How so?

I could repost everyone else’s arguments against banning words, but you’ve got too eyeballs and a thinker inside that head of yours you can use.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

Here's the thing about HO. They constantly make decisions and everyone has different viewpoints on certain things. That's fine. Everyone's different.

Every decision is met with opinions. Some good. Some bad. It's just the simple fact that you can't please everybody. You look at a chef. You put some of the exact same pasta in front of 10 different people. Some people will love it. Some people will hate it. That's how it goes.

Just because you disagree with some of the decisions HO makes doesn't mean they're constantly out to get you. They're not trying to make SHL some limited hellhole.

Why would the HO ban words? Just to fuck with you? No of course not. They want to make this a friendly environment and because people (even myself) are acting like idiots going around spewing a bunch of nonsense. This makes the place seem toxic and unwelcoming.

You place the HO back under to elections and it could exactly be like the John Scott All Star game occurance. You get your trolls that come from under the bridge and try to get someone like an AssPancakes into HO (Just using him for example) and that could be a living nightmare.

Except people actually have to accept their nominations, and while people like to troll, nobody is going to be idiotic enough to throw someone like AP in. You know what banning words does? It takes the site down a slippery slope, of where the HO can just throw words on a list and say “you can’t use these or you’re banned.” It also makes the site look like a shithole

PatriotesUsaWhalers

09-16-2018, 04:04 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Except people actually have to accept their nominations, and while people like to troll, nobody is going to be idiotic enough to throw someone like AP in. You know what banning words does? It takes the site down a slippery slope, of where the HO can just throw words on a list and say “you can’t use these or you’re banned.” It also makes the site look like a shithole

It's not like they're gonna ban completely random words whenever they feel like it. TDZ said himself that he changed the rulebook to state the context within those words. They're banning slurs that people have been complaining about in the thunderdome in the recent days.

09-16-2018, 03:58 PMClint Eastwood Wrote: You place the HO back under to elections and it could exactly be like the John Scott All Star game occurance. You get your trolls that come from under the bridge and try to get someone like an AssPancakes into HO (Just using him for example) and that could be a living nightmare.

This was actually the exact reason why I got rid of elections. I've also tried to go out of my way to ensure we don't have 4 people with the same opinions making up those seats, and so far I think that's gone pretty well, the discussions have been far more involved since making the change than before.

The other part of that is people were getting elected putting in 0 effort to get chosen for HO. Unsurprisingly, people who didn't put any effort in to getting into HO tended to put in the same amount of effort once they were in it.

It looked good from the outside, I loved the idea of elections when I was outside HO. But once I got inside I saw that it was flawed.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

09-16-2018, 04:09 PMEggy216 Wrote:
09-16-2018, 03:58 PMClint Eastwood Wrote: You place the HO back under to elections and it could exactly be like the John Scott All Star game occurance. You get your trolls that come from under the bridge and try to get someone like an AssPancakes into HO (Just using him for example) and that could be a living nightmare.

This was actually the exact reason why I got rid of elections. I've also tried to go out of my way to ensure we don't have 4 people with the same opinions making up those seats, and so far I think that's gone pretty well, the discussions have been far more involved since making the change than before.

The other part of that is people were getting elected putting in 0 effort to get chosen for HO. Unsurprisingly, people who didn't put any effort in to getting into HO tended to put in the same amount of effort once they were in it.

It looked good from the outside, I loved the idea of elections when I was outside HO. But once I got inside I saw that it was flawed.

I've been doing applications since day 1 of being SMJHL Commish and the league is falling apart. Take notes guys.

09-16-2018, 04:08 PMClint Eastwood Wrote:
09-16-2018, 04:04 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Except people actually have to accept their nominations, and while people like to troll, nobody is going to be idiotic enough to throw someone like AP in. You know what banning words does? It takes the site down a slippery slope, of where the HO can just throw words on a list and say “you can’t use these or you’re banned.” It also makes the site look like a shithole

It's not like they're gonna ban completely random words whenever they feel like it. TDZ said himself that he changed the rulebook to state the context within those words. They're banning slurs that people have been complaining about in the thunderdome in the recent days.

You should not accept words being hateful or offensive as good enough reason to give another person the explicit responsibility over exactly what is/isn't something you can say. Don't let your disdain for some words you don't use make it possible for you to lose ones you do! 

You can be against using those words, while maintaining full control of your entire vocabulary. Everyone loses when we start banning words, it doesn't seem like a big deal now cause they're all pretty distasteful easy to agree on. But the rule itself is flawed and allows more things to be added you may not agree with down the line. It's not right

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

09-16-2018, 04:18 PMToeDragon84 Wrote:
09-16-2018, 04:08 PMClint Eastwood Wrote:

You should not accept words being hateful or offensive as good enough reason to give another person the explicit responsibility over exactly what is/isn't something you can say. Don't let your disdain for some words you don't use make it possible for you to lose ones you do! 

You can be against using those words, while maintaining full control of your entire vocabulary. Everyone loses when we start banning words, it doesn't seem like a big deal now cause they're all pretty distasteful easy to agree on. But the rule itself is flawed and allows more things to be added you may not agree with down the line. It's not right

I don't disagree with you, but I can understand their reasoning for doing so. Of course if they start adding basic swear words to that then that should raise major red flags . . . especially if I can't call someone a thundercunt

Cunt offends me, please ban clint

PatriotesUsaWhalers

I mean @Eggy216 already reports to me, I'm happy to choose the HO from now on.

[Image: 53994_s.gif]

Player Page
Player Updates
SMJHL Commissioner , SMJHL Awards Head, Banker (NEW/WKP), Rookie Mentor

yay

Elections did not make this league a better place, I was in favor of the election system back when it was implemented but it simply didn't work very well. Bad candidates still got in, way more than through applications I'd argue, HO still got shit on constantly and wasn't any more "legitimate" in the eyes of the members, there were good decisions and bad decisions just like there are now and ultimately the members, the very people who got to vote, started to hate the system and pushed for the HO to abolish it. It wasn't some tyrannical HO who got rid of elections, it was an overwhelming majority of vocal members who wanted it and after some resistance, the HO finally complied. Accountability and transparency are important, but HO elections didn't really help us achieve those goals.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]