Create Account

Adjust podcast pay to promote multi-member podcasts.

Ever tried listening to a solo SHL podcast? Compared to any of the podcasts with 2 or 3 users, they usually suck (with apologies to GOB and ztevans). It's really fucking hard to have a conversation with yourself without sounding like a lunatic, even if you've been doing it for a very long time. As soon as you add in a second head, the podcast becomes much better to listen to. The conversation is better when there is, well, a conversation. For the sake of improving the quality of media, we should try to push people towards

I would therefore suggest we adjust media payouts to something more like this,

Podcast pool is raised from $3m to $4m per hour, split between all podcasters;
Solo podcasters can only claim half of this pool ($2m per hour).

This would mean that there's no disadvantage by either working together regularly with one other person, or having guests on. The increase of $1m is small enough to provide only a negligible pay increase for large podcasts of 5+ people, which tend to suck for the opposite reason (too many people).

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Don't you think that considering it is really hard to fill an hour of a podcast by yourself that we shouldn't put people who go solo at a disadvantage?

Not everyone has someone to do a podcast with every week, and they shouldn't feel disincentivized to do a podcast at all if that is the case.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2018, 08:28 AM by Sean.)

Just use something like a 0.5× diminishing returns rule that must be split equally between all members (to avoid having someone on for 2 seconds and increasing the pool). 1 person = 3 mil, 2 people = 4.5 mil (3 mil + 1.5 mil), 3 people 5.25 mil (3mil + 1.5 mil + .75 mil) etc.

Also mathamatically, if we had an infinite amount of people the max it would reach is a $6 million pool, so it'd be pretty hard to find a loophole in it.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

I don't really think pay should be higher for a duo than a soloist. I do however feel that when a duo goes over an hour, they should be paid dor ths additional time up to the three million weekly limit listed in the rules.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

09-21-2018, 09:26 AMSlappydoodle Wrote: I don't really think pay should be higher for a duo than a soloist. I do however feel that when a duo goes over an hour, they should be paid dor ths additional time up to the three million weekly limit listed in the rules.

I agree with slappy on this. Solos shouldn’t be punished, but duos usually talk for over an hour, and should get paid up to the 3 mil weekly limit instead

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

I am mixed on this, as a solo podcaster most of the time (who apparently sucks according to OP), I don't want to feel like I'm losing out on money because I didn't have someone to do a podcast with, but I do like a lot of multi person podcasts and feel that 1.5m for an hour of effort is too low, even if you have someone there with you for the hour. It's not 50% of the effort to do a 2 person podcast vs a 1 person one, so I guess I'd be okay if the pay for multi person podcasts went up, so long as an individual didn't make more because they did a multi person one vs doing one solo.

This actually feels like part of a bigger issue to me. There are multiple holes in how media grading is being done right now, issues with fairness and consistency, and some tweaks like this that are likely needed, but I have no clue who the SHL Media Grader Head is. Every media grader I've heard from isn't sure who the head is and there is definitely not someone at the top trying to get people on the same page when it comes to consistency in grading. I've noticed some graders giving podcasts a bonus based on quality, but I think it's only 1 or 2 graders out of the whole bunch. I don't see the rubric awarding quality of podcasts right now, so those graders might not be following it, but I really think that should be a thing. The whole grading system could use someone going through and revamping it to encourage good quality articles, podcasts, and other media.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

This is literally the only time I will ever be lumped into a category with Gifter, and I'm choosing to take it as a compliment and walk away.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

09-21-2018, 03:42 PMztevans Wrote: This is literally the only time I will ever be lumped into a category with Gifter, and I'm choosing to take it as a compliment and walk away.

There is the “cool guys I’d like to hang out with “category that you both share as well, of course.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Well, the point of it being at $2m is that you're technically not disadvantaged by going it solo- you'd be getting exactly the same if you had someone else on with you for that time or not.

Also, sorry @DrunkenTeddy, you're cool.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

09-21-2018, 10:42 PMAvakael Wrote: Well, the point of it being at $2m is that you're technically not disadvantaged by going it solo- you'd be getting exactly the same if you had someone else on with you for that time or not.

Also, sorry @DrunkenTeddy, you're cool.

You'd be putting them at a disadvantage compared to the current system, while putting duo's at an advantage compared to the current system. I think that's the general point.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

09-21-2018, 08:23 AMTommySalami Wrote: Just use something like a 0.5× diminishing returns rule that must be split equally between all members (to avoid having someone on for 2 seconds and increasing the pool). 1 person = 3 mil, 2 people = 4.5 mil (3 mil + 1.5 mil), 3 people 5.25 mil (3mil + 1.5 mil + .75 mil) etc.

Also mathamatically, if we had an infinite amount of people the max it would reach is a $6 million pool, so it'd be pretty hard to find a loophole in it.

I like this idea of having a multiplier with diminishing returns. It encourages multi person podcasts, without disadvantaging soloists, and prevents abuse of just overloading the podcast with people.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia