Create Account

Sunday Funday: The Next GM

I think more than anything a GM needs to be committed to the site. I don't care how well you know STHS, or who you know. You can't be successful if you don't get tasks done on time, test/fix your lines, or try to get good free agents. If you're willing to put in the time and work any shortcomings you have will easily be fixed very quickly. It's not that difficult to read the rules in the SHL rulebook or meet new people or look at past trades to judge values of players and picks. But I've seen what a non-dedicated GM does to teams. It causes trade requests and makes it impossible to land free agents. People flock toward a passionate GM.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I think GM should be on the ground. He/She should be talking to players and ask them what they want and what they need. Gm should still be the leader. There needs to be balance between being a leader and being with the players.

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

The two most important attributes that I think we need from general managers in the SHL are a commitment to the league as well as to the team and players they are responsible for and then some measure of people skills so they can work with the players on their roster as well as other GMs and head office members.

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]

Being a GM means you are on top of everything SHL. Not only do you need good social skills you also have to have a keen eye for statistics. Making sure your LR is in good spirits and being able to form the atmosphere to get even the most reluctant to do thier PTs. I think @notorioustig is a future beast of a GM

RETIRED

To be a GM you need to be committed to the league and willing to put up with crap. You have to understand how the sim works and how builds are sometimes more important then TPE totals. You also have to be able to deal with personal conflicts within the team and league and sometimes you're going to have to be the bad guy in situation. Generally you have to be a saint to be a GM in the league.

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018, 05:30 AM by majesiu.)

Activity is must, same with being able to handle the sim - it's a quite frustrating beast and good GMs should know how to handle it to get a competitive edge against other teams. I guess being passionate about hockey would be a need too, to be able to create great locker room atmosphere.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

A GM needs to be able to be shit on, constantly. Not literally, but figuratively, by everyone. Your players, your former players, head office, others teams, your co-gm, Everyone. @dankoa is great at being shit on. Thats why hes a pretty good GM. @JSS is showing quite the aptitude for being shit on, so the future looks bright for the Detroit leadership.

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

To be a good GM, one must have abundance of patience and perseverance. There's up and downs so determination is needed and people skills are very important as well.

I think some of the most important aspects of a good GM are determination, respect and selflessness. It's a job that requires you to work quite hard and do so consistently because if not, you let down a whole bunch of people instead of just yourself. That doesnt't just include stuff like draft preparation or trade talks, but also constantly monitoring your locker room/discord, being active there, reaching out to people who are struggling or whose activity might be dropping, identifying which players around the league might be or might not be a good fit personality-wise, all those things.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Quote:In at least 25 words, Talk about what qualities are needed to become an effective SHL GM and or what member would you endorse as someone who deserves consideration for the next available job opening. (Note: @Eggy216 and HO will be reading this first point task of mine, so here's your chance to let them know who to look out for!)

As a gm your qualities should be that when someone else bends the rules you yell at them for it, but when you do it, it's oke because it benefits your team. Basicly always agree with stuff that benefits you and disagree with stuff that doesnt.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Using the whalers as an example... I think a lot of their success comes from how well they are managed. The GMs are knowledgeable about the game and it’s strategies. More importantly they are active within the LR and are ALWAYS there to help players out and pick them up when they are down. I think the future of Luke looks bright and he could fill a GM role no problem.

The next great SHL member should be my favourite person in the world, @hockeyfan. He has lots of great qualities but most importantly is a hockey fan

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

A good SHL GM needs to always be making sure their team is the best it can be. This means getting as many active players as they can, this means making the lines have depth and this means making tough decisions from time to time as well. I think jss and wanabefinn(stinky mtl gm) are one of the best gms in the league because they hold all the values a gm embodies.

[Image: unknown.png]

"Bring back Pingy Pingu Lunga Gumba esq. And I mean bring him all the way back. I want every thread on this forum that involves even a modicum of salt to get razed to the ground by our most notorious shitposting penguin. I want every thunderdome to drown in ABAGABA spam and a signature that doesn't end. I want the userbase of this fine league to cower in terror, slinking about the forums and making as little noise as possible for fear of attracting the Shitpost Slenderman. When some poor immigrant from the NFL sim blunders into the forum and makes an angry post about how his player slipped to the early second round despite having done ALL the rookie tasks(!), let the veteran survivalists stare in horror and pity while the newbie rages. They will know it is only a matter of time before @Pingy Pingu descends upon his post like a ravening wolf and obliterates his tread, reducing it to a radioactive waste-dump of unintelligible spam. They will not interfere, for Pingy is our immune system. Because he can take it. Our Dark Knight of Shitposting"

Sig credit to @WannabeFinn @JSS @Mordaciious @Mayuu @TommySalami
                                              Falcons banner credit to @karey

1. MAke a trade for yourself which 90% of the league says is dumb and you got ripped off and are clearly an idiot. Proceed to have HoF career
2. Hire a coGM who 90% of the league hates and can barely speak or type English. Proceed to set league scoring record with his player.
3. Make a bunch of trades and draft picks and Free Agents to get people who build good players, and don't give 2 hecks about a "Locker Room Atmosphere"
4. Win Cup
5. Implode

Your path is set, follow this example and you too could be a Challenge Cup Winning GM!!

As far as next person who should get a GM job, it should be me, I've done it before and am feeling the urge to get back into it after GMing team Scandinavia in WJC!

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

You need an inside & out understanding of the rules and be able to manage different personalities in the locker room to build a welcoming & fun atmosphere. Also need to be constantly active, always on the look for new members / rules. TBH I should have the next GM spot opening, since I have all these qualities, but it'll likely never happen so idk who else deserves it... lots of good candidates around here.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER