Create Account

Sunday Funday: The Next GM

I agree with Kimmy that Alaska would make a great GM.

To be a great general manager, you have to have the ability to plan ahead and to explain yourself with confidence to anybody at any time. You have to be committed to creating activity and being a key involved piece of the locker room. You have to be able to plan and do somewhat more tedious activities and be a people person and create interest in your team from those outside of it whether they be rookies or free agents. You need to be able to make connections and show yourself as an example to your team.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

To be a good GM, I think you need to be helpful, patient and knowledgeable of everything about the league since you will always be the go to person when your players have interrogations and you will probably have to answer the same or a really similar question multiple time.

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

A good gm needs to do multiple things right. They need to cultivate a good group of people in their locker room, so that the team is always hopeful. They needs to keep these people by doing good in the sim as well as drafting will to restock prospects. They also needs to have a respectable team to attack free agents to sign when the time comes.

With all of that one player I think could do this, that doesn’t have a lot of experience is @39alaska39

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

To be a quality GM, you have to have positive impacts on the site, be someone who can completely change the culture in the team and the discord in a positive way. I also thing STHS experience isn't necessary as it's really not that hard to get the basics down. I think a GM also needs lots of patience.

[Image: 3.png]

I think there are two key components to becoming a good GM. The first is pretty obvious, draft strategy. If you aren't a good drafter, it doesn't matter how good you are at game strategy, your team won't be going anywhere. The second I think is just being friendly. Part of the strength of the GM is getting people to want to play where they are. Not only does this mean getting draftees to stay, but it is also helpful in luring free agents who are ready for a change.

[Image: 2v10l6s.png]

In order to be an effective SHL GM, you've got to have various characteristics about you. Some of those include being great listening skills, be available for your players at any time, and just be an overall friendly person. If I were to step down as co-GM of the Riot, the two people that I'd immediately want to take my position would either be @Dangles13 or @Blastmeaway.

[Image: leblaVa.gif]
Shoutout to @adamantium for the sig! <3

In order to be an effective GM you only need one thing; strong leadership qualities. If you don't know the sim then you can hire a coach who does. If you don't do well scouting then you ask your team to help out. If you are not an effective leader then people will not do these things for you. The various duties associated with building and running a team are secondary to being able to manage a group of people. If you look at the top GMs that are and have been in the league, the ones at the top are well-respected leaders.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

The goal of a GM is to create a winning, active environment that people want to play for and for a long time. This means that GMs have to scout not only skill, but character as well. GMs must also be willing to make changes when things aren't working, even if it means trading a key piece of the team to try to shake up the team and win.

I think TDZ would make a great SHL GM, as he has created a great atmosphere in Halifax already (including trading away some great talent to make it work), and has amassed a solid roster.

I mean, i would vote for myself.

I know that's shitty to be that guy, but I have a pretty damn good track record in St. Louis over the last ten seasons, and I know how to do all of the fun stuff that comes along with being a GM. I've been Esa's understudy for a while as well, and its never a bad thing to learn under one of, if not the, best GM of all time.

I'd love to run an expansion team someday. It's a goal of mine, honestly.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

I'd personally endorse @"cpetrella" for GM if an opening occurred. I think Trella has some of the outstanding qualities for a GM, like leadership, good work ethic, and friendliness.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Besides all the league/sim knowledge and so on, I think the most important thing is a GM's character. The GM is the leader of their team and discord, they create the culture and atmosphere of that team. If you create a good culture people are going to be active and want to play for that team which will lead to winning in time.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

To be a SHL GM you should have deep knowledge of the league and what you can expect out of certain types of players, along with good people skills.

[Image: tumblr_msqiv2SUIk1rey868o1_500.gif]

FalconsChiefsUsa

I definitely think a strong GM needs a good mixture of a few things. Being good with the sim is only a minor part. A good GM also needs to be kind to his/her players and willing to work with them. They need to be able to create a great environment that everyone wants to be a part of and has fun in. And most importantly they're there to help teach and grow these players throughout their careers.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

To be qualified as a good gm, it takes good leadership skills to motivate players to join your team. So a good activity level on the site and discord is essential. For a proposition, Thè Dude or Smurph are two good players that could be taken into consideration.

Most people think a good GM is about winning and being good at the sim. While that is a part of it I think the main job of the GM is to foster a great team atmosphere. You want to keep your team engaged and avoid drama in an effort to make the league a fun place to be. Anyone who can accomplish this should be able to be a successful SHL GM.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]