Create Account

Sunday Funday: The Next GM

I think one of the most important qualities a GM should have is to understand their own weaknesses. Take what you bring to the team and supplement the parts you may be lacking with other leadership roles on the team. This can be the co-gm you hire, or appointing a coach to help with lines, or in the captains you appoint to help new players and keep the locker room active.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

I think the most important part of being an SHL GM is being able to balance personalities and players. Players have a lot of rights, so it's difficult to build a team on just team-building merit.
A GM needs to make sure everyone wants to be there, or even the best team-builder won't be able to hold onto their players. At the same time, it means being able to amicably move on from players who don't meet team needs, even though they're great in the locker room.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

There are two guys that I would say embody the traits of passion, drive, and love of the game that I see around the site that should be considered as up and coming stars in the GM scene. These are both guys that have shown the people skills to manage a locker room and cultivate a good culture, a working knowledge of SimonT (or as much of a knowledge as anyone), and an overall desire to have a good time and make sure this sure those around them have a good time on the their team. 

For me, two guys that absolutely should be considered for any GM job, SHL or SMJHL, are @Good_Ole_Kimmy and @"luketd".

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

The best qualities of a good GM is in the SHL is that they're open to everything and anything when it comes to player personnel, reverted from their own strats when needed and being engaging in the LR whether on the site or on Discord.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

The biggest thing is someone with a good amount of free time who can keep the team engaged. Sometimes teams with strong personalities can keep themselves engaged and active but typically teams like that aren't looking for a GM and I'd say it's more likely that a team with a busy GM becomes quiet and boring. Providing a fun environment, communicating expectations clearly, and doing a thorough job in scouting the draft are things I'd look for.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

If I'm treating a GM on here like any other real-world leadership position, I believe there's no other replacement for the willingness to invest the required time and hard effort required to stay on top of the numerous required tasks, and to be an open and effective communicator across all mediums. Building relationships with your locker room, motivating people to put in the extra effort to grow their talent and being able to retain talent even in less successful years are all characteristics of an effective GM.

[Image: Partridge.png]

San Francisco

[Image: PRedauw.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2018, 01:09 PM by ToeDragon84.)

I would like to endorse @Mac to be the next GM to be hired into the SHL. They carry all of qualities mentioned by members here and more. I would have liked to see them get the chance to run Manhattan with my man @wikiplaysgames a few seasons back.

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

GM need to be active on the site and have some kind of understanding managing team. One other thing is have lot of free time. If GM have busy life he/she can't manage team well.

I think that a GM needs to be really efficient at balancing both personalities and on ice talents. Being able to make sure all your players get along can go a long way in ensuring they have a positive experience, but also that you can see some success on ice.

[Image: aUM7t0b.png]

Knowing how to effectively utilize strategies and line combos in STHS is the hallmark of a good GM. There have been plenty of good teams who have had GMs who are ineffective at lines and thus fail. A good GM can do well with a lesser roster that synergizes well together. I endorse myself as someone who would do well at this.

I definitely think the number 1 trait of a GM should be patience. Success (usually) don't come over a season or two, but you ahve to plan and be ready for set backs at any point. I also think you need to be able to be strict. I know the players are real people and all but if people are pulling shit you need to be able to deal with it. Same thign with trades, If you want to improve the team you might need to trade people, Just be professional and things shouldn't be too bad.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

The next SHL GM gunna be Mike Izzy. The dedication Izzy has on this site is mind blowing and I think if he applies that to the GM position he will be one of the best.

I have truly learned from the best and it is of my strongly sought after opinion, is that @WannabeFinn embodies all the necessary traits of a GM. These of course range from leaving snide comments on signing or trades such as "wow cool" ,"nice lol" or my personal favorite "Y I K E S". I truly believe that in the modern sim hockey world, Wannabefinn really does set the bar incredibly high.

I don't know. A GM can be good with the sim, a great person to his management team, a friendly leader in his locker room, and a person with a lot of dedication towards the site, but they can still be a bad GM. A good GM has all of those qualities, but I think that the most important thing a GM can be is themselves. Trying to be so many different things can be so taxing on the mind, and I firmly believe that the best GMs don't follow any sort of mold. They do what they want to do based on their values and don't try to cross off a checklist of what makes a GM good.

Good GMs are, more than anything, good to themselves above all else. With self-appreciation and self-love comes the ability to make everyone else feel like they're not just a cog in the machine.

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

There's been a lot of good qualities pointed out by others here. It helps to be a leader, organised, diligent and strategic. However the quality I think is most important is the ability to take a tonne of shit. Shit from Simon when he dicks you for no reason, shit from your team when you move them from the first line, shit from other GMs and alumni when you make any decision and shit from yourself when you fuck something up.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]