Create Account

Poll: Would you be willing to donate for a custom made Sim Engine?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, absolutely
7.89%
3 7.89%
No way in hell
36.84%
14 36.84%
I am interested but want more information first
55.26%
21 55.26%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

NEW SIM ENGINE PURCHASE

09-28-2018, 11:31 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
09-28-2018, 11:15 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Claiming that everyone who doesn't blindly believe in test sims doesn't know about statistics

Don't put words in my mouth

09-28-2018, 10:25 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Saying you don't believe it test sims is saying you don't believe in statistics.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Oh the test sim vs no test sim argument, I'm actually talking about that in my podcast today. (I talked about it yesterday when I tried to record and my phone froze)

As for gfridge's sim, I think he put it on the back burner before his life got too busy because it seemed unlikely that HO would want to switch sim engines at the time. It still needed a ton of work though, it was far from a complete product.

FHM5 does look interesting and maybe it would be viable for a sim league like this, I'm just not sure how much of an appetite the SHL would have for changing so completely, it would mean a new update scale, new player builds, and much more.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

09-28-2018, 11:33 AMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
09-28-2018, 11:31 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Don't put words in my mouth

09-28-2018, 10:25 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Saying you don't believe it test sims is saying you don't believe in statistics.

Oof. Yeah that looks worse than I meant it to in hindsight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

The problem with FHM is that the game crashes if you edit players too much

2300 hours is a lot of development time. Senior developers cost a lot of money. At market rates a developer will want $50-100 per real hour to do quality freelance contract work. Just to give y'all an idea of what this would actually cost.

Getting a project like this done cheaply would require a developer doing it as a pet project. That takes time, lots of it.

09-28-2018, 12:06 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Oof. Yeah that looks worse than I meant it to in hindsight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha no worries, it happens Cheers

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Well ain't this great timing.
I've mentioned this to a few people but there's a chance I might be working on a new sim engine for my uni project. If that does happen I'll definitely be looking to involve everyone in the design of it.

[Image: 53994_s.gif]

Player Page
Player Updates
SMJHL Commissioner , SMJHL Awards Head, Banker (NEW/WKP), Rookie Mentor

yay

09-28-2018, 12:23 PMNobody Wrote: Well ain't this great timing.
I've mentioned this to a few people but there's a chance I might be working on a new sim engine for my uni project. If that does happen I'll definitely be looking to involve everyone in the design of it.

HMU if you want some help. I'd much rather work on this than web forms!

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

someone move this thread to the trash bin please

09-28-2018, 01:26 PMStorm Wrote: someone move this thread to the trash bin please

Shut up Simon!

RETIRED

I am against adding a visual component to this league because those other trash leagues have them. Any step toward being more like them is a step in the wrong direction.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

09-28-2018, 01:37 PMBeaver Wrote: I am against adding a visual component to this league because those other trash leagues have them. Any step toward being more like them is a step in the wrong direction.

Seems like an odd stance, if everything stayed the same but we were able to show some sort of visual pbp during playoffs, you wouldn't want that?

09-28-2018, 01:39 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote:
09-28-2018, 01:37 PMBeaver Wrote: I am against adding a visual component to this league because those other trash leagues have them. Any step toward being more like them is a step in the wrong direction.

Seems like an odd stance, if everything stayed the same but we were able to show some sort of visual pbp during playoffs, you wouldn't want that?

I could be mistaken but I believe Beaver is making a facetious comment about the SHL and it's "purity".

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

09-28-2018, 02:42 PMDangles13 Wrote:
09-28-2018, 01:39 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: Seems like an odd stance, if everything stayed the same but we were able to show some sort of visual pbp during playoffs, you wouldn't want that?

I could be mistaken but I believe Beaver is making a facetious comment about the SHL and it's "purity".

That devious bastard got me again.

Why would it make sense for a bunch of SHL’ers to know and understand the algorithms that drive production in a sim engine? One of the worst ideas I’ve heard around here.