Create Account

S43 PT #5 - Draft Class

The Season 42 SMJHL draft class was ginormous in almost all ways. While a lot of these players were drafted in the SHL, they will not be making debuts for a long time. In the mean time they have been seasoning their game in the SMJHL. This S42 draft class featured 80 players, and is most notable for the large influx of recreates entering into it, as well as being a reddit draft. This created the perfect storm so that established players were being taken into the second round (notably, Pavel Pivonka was taken 13th), and potentially active players were picked for many rounds after. 

This draft class should end up being well-known for the amount of high end talent it will, and already has produced. This wealth of talent is already visible in the first round. Thanks to King's TPE Rankings, it is easier than ever to see how these draftees have developed.

1st round
01) Jax Aittokallio - 426 TPE
02) Leshaun King - 465 TPE
03) Max Mauldin - 402 TPE
04) Crush Cile - 356 TPE
05) Goku Muerto - 402 TPE
06) Eero Niemi - 349 TPE
07) Kristof Kovacs - 385 TPE
08) Oliver Kovacs - 403 TPE

Everyone in the first round has broken 300 TPE, and all but one of them has capped. Furthermore, 3 players haven't reached 400 TPE yet, meaning 5 have reached that mark. This draft also featured highly touted prospect Leshaun King, who gained TPE a lot before joining the draft. Despite that fact, he was taken 2nd. He could easily have gone 1st, that's how good this class is. When everything is accounted for, there is a large amount of high end talent coming out of this draft class. The only real downside is that managers are going to have to negotiate hard to get some of these star players that will come out of here, and that not everyone can get what they deserve.

The only other thing I want to note is the absolute steal of a pick that Luke Thomason was for the Whaler's, and how it backs up my claims. 32nd overall, and has 426 TPE. That's right, 30 players in and you have guys with over 400 TPE. THAT is why this draft class will be one of the deepest we will see for awhile, and will be remembered as surge of new faces, mixed with powerful recreates.

Season 36 was so long ago. While we can see some players still playing there are tons that have vanished or moved on from their teams. Just looking at the Los Angeles draft the first 2 picks in the first round of Ben Turska and Yuri Boyka Jr. have found some success in the SHL especially Yuri Boyka. While both are still on the team, Yuri has been the more productive player for a while now for LA. The next pick of 38th overall Mark Ruggeri is not on an active roster and is most likely not going to be moving forward. While two picks later Portland would pick Evgueni Marmeladov who the very next day would be traded to the Panthers. And after two seasons would be a full time goalie for them. The final pick by the Panthers that wasn’t passed would be Tretiak who just like Ruggeri is not on a team nor is he going to be on one. Looking at the draft as a whole it's been pretty barren and bad besides some players. Obviously you have some studs and leaders in players like Hefeweizen or Augustus. While Marmeladov is one of the players still left standing he is still looking to carve a name out for himself in this league.

[Image: vikian.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 10:43 PM by DannyMethane.)

[Image: ZyqSB2H.png]

@Nictox @SlashACM

[Image: dannymethane.gif]
[Image: DrbPYHV.png][Image: UDyqktK.png]
[Image: S7jeR9I.png]

The S42 class is either good or bad, I haven't really paid much attention to it. Honestly, picking me at 3rd overall was a big gamble and there might have been better players to take at 3rd overall but my player, Harvey Danger will be a solid top 4 guy for the rest of his career, with a top ceiling of a top 2 guy but that will take some time. I think that Danger will always be compared to Jordan Von Matt, a guy taken right after him at #4.

Harvey Danger made the leap after 2 seasons in the SMJHL right to the Top 4 of the Texas Renegades, playing big minutes and reaching double digits in points on a team that were locked in an intense playoff race, while Jordan Von Matt is playing his third season in the SMJHL, second on Anchorage with 30 points so far this season. His rookie season may beat out Harvey's rookie season, so the battle of 3rd vs. 4th for the best defensemen in the draft is still not over.

Also, besides Noah Konn, everybody else in that draft class sucks.

The S39 draft has been discussed in great detail as the top end players have been really well established top end players, many of which were steals of the draft. The sure fire first rounders were anything but as many have become busts, however, rather than pump the tires of the success stories, I'm going to honour those we lost as tragedy struck the S39 class more so than any other draft.

R.i.p
Grayson St. Reagan - the versatile two way winger who's still plays in the shl. However his soul is dead and gone to be with his family.

Viktor kosneksiovs - another versatile playrer. Viktor died in a badger hole as his mental breakdown had him shy away from the public spotlight and unfortunately had him become a hermit and them pretend he was a real life badger. His death by having his face clawed out by real badgers will be one we will never forget. Rip what could have been.

And finally, Jake Forks. This was the saddest day in smjhl as the young talneted prospect died before even getting drafted. Jake hit a tree while skiing leaving the entire community to mourn.

[Image: 207bf8-1538558131.jpg]

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

[Image: TzUh88l.png]

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 07:39 AM by jRuutu.)

I got drafted in the S40 draft, so not too long ago, but when looking at it right now, I think it will be a good one. Multiple top players who are just about to hit the star level in SHL, McGregor, McZehrl, Clijsters, Driftwood, Gotze etc are all close to 900 TPE mark. Then on top of that, players like Essellemm, Hobbs, McGavin, Rove, Kraaijkamp and Kalju are at or close to 700´s and even over 800 TPE already, so what comes to absolute top end talent, S40 has the potential to be one of the better ones lately.

We also have some ´wild´ cards from S40, Dekens for example is leading the league in rookie scoring at the moment, so he is looking to be a true steal. Yelkrab is playing on the third line in Winnipeg and McElroy over in Seattle is playing big minutes.

Overall it´s perhaps slightly too early to judge the draft class, got the top players who will be stars in the league, also have the players who are in between that, do they reach the same level eventually? Some players are late bloomers, I guess in the end that is what makes or breaks S40, can some of the players who were picked on the later rounds come from behind and play on high level some day.

(Apologies if I missed someone)

Source: S40 SHL Draft - Details

I loved my draft class. First I came into the league through the SMJHL draft, going to Colorado with some great young talent such as Florence Clijsters, Luuk Kraaijkamp, Blaine McElroy, and Kire Yelkrab. We were taken in a variety of spots originally with our GM recognizing how well our personalities would fit into the locker room, which was a great strategy for building a good SMJHL team and also raising all of our draft stocks for the SHL draft in S40. Luuk and Florence would end up being taken in the first 5 picks, while myself, Blaine, and Kire went within the top 10 as well, resulting in half of the top 10 being selected from the same SMJHL team. Since then, Kire and Blaine have sadly tapered off a good bit, but the other 3 of us are still going strong and pushing each other to be as close to the top of the draft class as possible. Also of note from my class are a few late round picks that have ended up as steals, such as Shooter McGavin, Walter Hobbs, and McZehrl.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

I'll never forget my draft class. Not just because it was my first, but because three of us teammates from the Halifax Raiders all went to the LA Panthers in the same draft. That was something special. That and the familiar face of Reflieux in the LA locker room really helped make the transition from SMJHL to SHL easier for me.

It's too bad Geoff Higgins' career arc was derailed so early on, because he was a fun guy to have in the locker room. He and my Junior's GM, 44 used to have some great back and forth banter. Higgins would trash talk 44, but 44 took it like a champ, he knew it was all in good fun. He could've been a great SHL center, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Jon Toner was another Raider-Panther from that class. He's a Halifax native, so he spent an extra season in the SMJHL to play for his hometown team. He's probably going to be my long-term defensive partner, if Leetch ever retires.

The S39 draft had some great hits and misses as well as some in between picks. The Seattle Riot managed to snag some of the best steals of the draft in the second round in DeMaricus Smyth and Liam O'Callaghan. Smyth was selected 16th overall, then Seattle whiffed on the 17th pick, Jacob Dorty, and then hit it big with Liam O'Callaghan. Smyth and O'Callaghan are both among the top 10 players in the draft and are a large reason that the Riot's rebuild appears to be finally over.

This draft was relatively deep and one could argue that the 2nd round was better than the first which is good because Seattle didn't have a 1st round pick. This league has several members with their hands in league duties all over. The S39 draft could go down as one of the better drafts in recent years. The few busts in this draft are unfortunate for their teams, however, several players retired early on in their careers but some managed to snag impressive steals all the way in the 5th round. Several starting netminders were found in this draft, Manhatten with Moreau and Minnesota with Prime are sure to be happy for seasons to come.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

What you should know is that S35 is one of the best draft classes there has ever been, sure it wasn’t a huge one but there were some really great quality players / people who came out of it. Super bold right. Pretty well most of us has stuck around and have created some real stellar players. The reason our class isn’t remembered as much as others is because we weren’t a huge reddit draft. However if you look at some of the players left we have Robert Phelps, Angelo Odjick, Louie Garrett, Mike Izzy and Finn Kruger. Most of these players are now in their prime and are absolutely killing it. Everyone is still pretty active and it’s nice to see we are all still close. I think my player fits in pretty well and has been having a great season. I hope this draft class is remembered because I love them all very much! TEPS
Code:
157 Words

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

10-01-2018, 02:11 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: S36 will go down as one of the best draft classes in recent years. It was a reddit draft, and much was expected, as the class included recreates like Ace, prettyburn, and artermis. And the class has lived up to the hype. Not only have almost all of the recreates hit the mark, the first time users have done well too. TDZ is a member of HO and Halifax GM. Evok was a great GM for Ireland and is the current league simmer. cpetrella went from an undrafted rookie to a first-line forward in Edmonton, one of the best teams in the league. Myself (bloos) and StaticShocked form part of Seattle’s top six, which has been deadly this year for one of the surprise packages of the season. Waters has proven to be a steal, as he’s passed 1000 TPE and is playing a role on the West-leading Jets. There are more players who deserve a mention, but I’m just too lazy to.
168 words

I've been on the steelhawks for 2 seasons and am currently the co blues. :(

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

The S43 Class, if nothing else, is full of confidence and swagger about our ability to be one of the greatest classes in SHL history. However, that confidence and swagger isn’t for naught. We have players like Leshaun King and Luke Thomason who have already made an impact on the site through their leadership and having earned positions within their national teams and SMJHL teams as first gens. But that doesn’t even include one of the deeper classes in terms of being a regen as well. JayWhy and RED as well as Muerto and Nicotx are just a few of the elite regens that are part of our elite group of players. I know it’s still early in our careers and a lot of the old guard of the SHL will scoff at us and say that every class things they're going to be the best, but S43 has all the hallmarks of a class that is going to make a difference on the SHL in a positive fashion.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Despite not being a Reddit draft, the Season 38 Draft still looks pretty strong. The 1st Overall selection Connor Blackwell has already retired, but there are plenty of other strong skaters from this class. Unfortunately there aren't any significant goalies from this class. I think that the Season 38 Draft will be remembered for how the Buffalo Stampede used their draft picks. If a team gets a couple of players in a draft that turn out to be significant additions to their roster down the line, it's considered a win. The Stampede added six players in this draft that have already become big time contributors at the next level. First off, they snagged Swiss forward Nico Gross, who has shown an affinity for playing a physical game and a knack for playmaking. The Stampede made a trade down that resulted in them nabbing an extra 1st round pick, which they then used to select Kevin Hamilton and Dermot Lavelle back-to-back, both of which have become mainstays in the Stampede top six. Later on in the draft the Stampede picked up top 9 winger TJ Bayley, 3rd pairing defenseman Quick Mafs and top 4 defender Tatu Makela. A truly franchise changing draft.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]