Create Account

S28 Sees a deep freeze
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 06:27 PM by CptSquall.)

So I have a bit of a love for history and looking back through it. I have also been watching a ton of Hockey videos by The Hockey Guy on YouTube and am particulary fond of his series on looking back through every NHL season. However, due to the ever evolving nature of the SHL and sim hockey in general I am unable to obtain the files for seasons 1 through 27. In fact I spent an hour and a half trying by looking though and rooting and it isn't until I reach JayWhy's command of the sim in S28 that I can actually review and present it to the masses. With all that said, i'd like to occupy my long offseason with my North Stars out and all, making media for the money and journey it takes me. Once a day i'd like to walk back from S28 in the SHL up until present day to talk about perhaps the changes I see and remember old faces, and some we still have around today. Lets dive in.

Standings

West
Renegades 34-12-4 72 Points 175 GF 135 GA
Blizzard 29-15-6 64 Points 143 GF 128 GA
Dragons 29-15-6 64 Points 160 GF 132 GA
Jets 27-15-8 62 Points 172 GF 171 GA
-----------------------------------------------------
Riot 28-17-5 61 Points 164 GF 146 GA
Panthers 26-17-7 59 Points 152 GF 141 GA
Portland 13-31-6 32 Points 114 GF 178 GA

Well so far we have the West and boy was it wild. No less than 6 strong teams. Texas on to with 72 points his huge, as is their +40 Goal Differential, a good 4 games up of both Edmonton and Calgary who sat together with the same record. What is better is the Dragons won their last 6 to get to this point and have a solid goal diff of their own. Jets seemed to struggle with goaltending or defense or both but man could they score and 27-15-8 is nothing to scoff at either. Seattle misses by 1 point in what has to be an upset as they seemed to play better than Winnipeg. but here we are. 59 is a good number too, one that would see you 2nd or 3rd in the conference these days but back in S28 it bought Los Angels 7th. I see this and have to wonder just how bad the Portland Admirals were before they moved to San Fran. 32 points is just horrid and something I only saw with the gutted Prince George Firebirds in S39. Having joined long after the move I wonder if this was part of it or not. My biggest take away is with so many dominant Western Conference teams, the Challenge Cup champion has to come from here.

East
Platoon 30-15-5 65 Points 157 GF 119 GA
Stars  30-18-2 62 Points 165 GF 133 GA
Steelhawks 27-19-4 58 Points 154 GF 144 GA
Wolfpack 23-22-5 51 Points 133 GF 148 GA
------------------------------------------------------
Chiefs 22-22-6 50 Points 142 GF 157 GA
Rage 20-26-4 44 Points 134 GF 148 GA
Stampede 12-34-4 28 Points 115 GF 202 GA

Well here is the East. Where to start? West Kendal was rather dominant with 65 points and a +38. Toronto is high on the board too with 62 and a +32 Goal Diff. Hammy has 58 points which would give them 7th in the West but has them 3rd here. The Wolfpack are just 1 game above .500. Minny IS .500 hockey personified in a team but a negative goal diff. Theres the Rage, roaring into a low spot as usual with only 44 points. Buffalo, Buffalo, Buffalo, I heard that up until a few seasons ago they only had 1 playoff appearance. I see why. 28 points is BAD and a -87 Goal diff reminds me of an expansion team just starting out, Ouch. I could see one of the Platoon or North Stars making the Cup finals here as it would be a smart bet. Outside chance/dark horse pick goes to Hammy as they are not BAD.

Top 5 in Goals
Niklas Wikstrom ( Jets ) with 30
Rider Clitsome ( Steelhawks ) with 28
VLAD McZehrl ( Riot ) also with 28
Chernika Banananov ( Chiefs ) with 27
and Jamie Hawkins ( Chiefs ) with 25

Top 5 in Points
Chernika Banananov ( Chiefs ) 27-31 for 58
Niklas Wikstrom ( Jets ) 30-27 for 57
VLAD McZehrl ( Riot ) 28-28 for 56
Pavel Bursyuk ( Riot ) 24-32 for 56
and Jamie Hawkins ( Chiefs ) 25-29 for 54
ALL 5 were Right wingers.
18 Players were scoring at point per game or better.

Kaspars Tsizling ( Renegades ) Won the Turd Ferguson for most PIMs with 107
Kjell Eide (POR) was the highest scoring rookie with 13 goals and 15 assists for 28 points on a horrid squad.
Colin Schmidt ( Platoon ) was best goaltender with a 2.23 GAA and a .921 SV% Great numbers all told
Each goalie was .900 or better for Save Percentage.

Playoffs Round 1
Renegades VS  Jets   Jets win in 5
Blizzard VS Dragons   Blizzard win in 5
Platoon VS Wolfpack   Renegades  win in 7
Stars VS  Steelhawks   Steelhawks win in 5

Magic number was 5 this year as 3 of 4 end in 5. Winnipeg saw the Jets flying high. Against the best team with the hot goalie too. But this series was closer than 4th seed knocking off 1st seed in 5. 3 games went into overtime and game 2 was a 1 goal game as well. Both teams put up one hell of a fight. The Battle of Alberta going in seemed so close. Both teams had copy cat records in the regular season and Calgary even sported a far better goal diff. But this was really Edmonton's, going up 3 games to 0. Credit is due in the East to New England as I would have gone in and gave them no chance. Walking into West Kendal and stealing both road games. Ultimately it would be a battle of who would blink first as the road team won the first 6 before the Platoon took game 7 at home. Winner scored 4 goals in all of the first 4 games and game 5 took overtime but the North Stars just didn't have it in them.

Playoffs Round 2
Blizzard VS Jets   Blizzard win in 6
Platoon VS Steelhawks   Platoon  win in 7

Teams won in stretches but the Blizz were on it against the Jets and rather so I suppose. Not much to say here story wise. West Kendal was played the most hockey here in this post season needing all 7 to get past the Dark Horse Steelhawks. Hammy's 6-1 win in game 2 aside this was a close series that saw a back and forth. Setting up our final.

Challenge Cup Final
Platoon VS Blizzard
Game 1
Platoon 2 Blizzard 1 in OT Cannot pull up the file but what a game 1. Overtime to get our winner.
Game 2
Blizzard 5 Platoon 3 Just what you need when you lose game 1, get it back.
Game 3
Blizzard 3 Platoon 2 Another 1 goal game in regulation this time.
Game 4
Blizzard 3 Platoon 2 Not an error and just what you need for your team. this makes 3 straight wins for Edmonton.
Game 5
Platoon 3 Blizzard 2 Critical game 5 and West Kendal needed the win, getting it in Overtime. Though needing OT to ever get wins generally does not bode well.
Game 6
Blizzard 2 Platoon 1 Late in this game it was still 1-1 and took overtime. I am sure the PBP held its breath as the Platoon soldiered on, looking to force game 7 in West Kendal. The Blizzard NEEDED to end this now before it got away and they got it done in OT on home ice.

Playoff leaders in Points
Theo Kane ( Blizzard ) 8-14 for 22 points
Ales Smirnov ( Platoon ) who spent time as both Right Winger and Defender went 5-13 for 18 points.
Chuck Goody ( Blizzard ) went 5-11 for 16 points from the point
Star center Zallerras Szlerchek ( Platoon ) went 7-9 for 16 points also
Jackson Rogers-Tanaka ( Blizzard ) comes in with 15 points at 4-11
Earnest Ciarelli ( Wolfpack ) had a scorching .941 SV% to keep the Wolfpack alive until game 7.

Other notes
Jonathan Lundberg ( Platoon ) went 1-4 for 5 points as a rookie
Aviad Ratzon ( Blizzard ) had 58 hits in 17 games.
at least 14 fights in the entire playoffs and only Bubba Nuck ( Wolfpack ) won any winning 1.

So there it is, please give me feedback on how this was. I kind of want to make it a series but it might fall by the wayside. Look tomorrow for S29 to see how the 20s era ended.

1504 words, grade away baby.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Ugh, I remember this .

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

10-07-2018, 07:11 PMSlappydoodle Wrote: Ugh, I remember this .

Me too, dude. That was my draft year. I didn't play, but I still felt the pain.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

So do I Ninja

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

10-07-2018, 10:24 PMJayWhy Wrote:

So do I  Ninja

You monster. Must you take such mirth with my suffering?

Oh well, you know what they say.....cant beat the simmwr Ninja

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

i missed this yesterday, but both portland and buffalo were expansion teams, and I'm pretty sure this was year 1.

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

Don’t even mention the goat who scored the cup winning goal smh

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

i too remember it quite fondly...

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

Yall remembering old days. The Future is now oldies!

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

10-08-2018, 02:11 PMWaters Wrote: i missed this yesterday, but both portland and buffalo were expansion teams, and I'm pretty sure this was year 1.

S25 was expansion, this was year 3.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

10-08-2018, 02:47 PMkit Wrote: Don’t even mention the goat who scored the cup winning goal smh

Sadly games got a 404 Error or I would have. S29 is a better article for it.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Very nice read

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria