Create Account

S29: The Challenge Cup is a Canadian thing
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM by CptSquall.)

Welcome back you guys. I am surprised at how excited people seemed and, though at times not happy to remember it I didn't hear any hate for it so why not step into S29. A Simulated decade is about to end, the SHL is nearing 30 years old and yeah teams have a solid history....most of them anyway. Who are the contenders, who are the pretenders, whos new, whats new? how well or poorly does Simon T treat people year in year out both individually and also as a team.

West
Blizzard 34-12-4 72 Points 173 GF 121 GA
Dragons 29-15-6 64 Points 170 GF 129 GA
Riot 27-16-7 61 Points 148 GF 143 GA
Renegades 26-18-6 58 Points 150 GF 136 GA
-----------------------------------------------------
Jets 27-20-3 57 Points 155 GF 154 GA
Portland 18-25-7 43 Points 132 GF 166 GA
Panthers 16-31-3 35 Points 123 GF 176 GA

So the sim is showing me such things that remind me of the pre lockout NHL again. Also things I have found in any sim with a hint of luck. For some reason defending cup champions lead their Conference the year after almost always. Such is the case as it is the Edmonton Blizzard with 72 points. Looking like a real good act for a repeat with a Goal diff of 50+. I am sure many were thinking of it going into it. Killed it at home too 20-3-2 at home. Always proud of themselves and jealous of their northern neighbour, Calgary is next with another 64 point season and a blistering +41goal diff and yet again a solid spot in the playoffs. Can they find their game in the post season, I wonder? Seattle missed S28 with 61 points, this year 61 points nabs them 3rd place but a goal diff of only 5 tells me those games were a lot harder won than their record suggests. Ripe for a beating. Jets just barely made it in last year and I felt like they weren't quite a contender just yet but were close to something. This year they are back down to earth but 57 points is still a fair bit for missing the playoffs. Especially with regard to being only 1 point out, even if they needed to win their last 4 to fall short. If the GMs at the time needed a wakeup call before seeing that they needed to maybe retool a bit this would be it. Portland is still bad but on the come up with 43 points but they will need to continue to trend upward to do anything of note. The bottom drops out here on LA, 16-31-5 is pretty darn rough in a season where nothing went right. Hope they had picks there Wasty. Still a tough Conference, even if it has toned down a bit compared to last year.

West
Chiefs 37-13-0 74 Points 165 GF 118 GA
Steelhawks 30-14-6 66 Points 136 GF 124 GA
Platoon 25-17-8 58 Points 172 GF 152 GA
Stars 26-18-6 58 Points 162 GF 142 GA
------------------------------------------------------
Wolfpack 26-22-2 54 Points 137 GF 135 GA
Rage 17-25-8 42 Points 126 GF 169 GA
Stampede 12-34-4 28 Points 110 GF 194 GA

That's the East, I have so many conflicted feelings about it. First off, what the heck did they do in Minny?! From missing the playoffs in the weaker Conference to 74 points and a +47 Goal Diff. The sim was a bit odd with 0 losses in extra time but hey, it happens. They blew away Hammy at 2nd with oh I don't know 66 points? That's a lot to miss out on first place with. I don't know what was going on in those days man but wow. Also not a bad pick to go far but no longer a Dark Horse by any means. Platoon played a LOT of sim hockey last playoffs and I can totally see them not reaching where they did last year during the season. 58 is rather respectable and +20 Goal Diff is too, can't hate. Quickly becoming one of my favorites. Toronto is back with 58 of their own points and +20 Goal Diff too. Couple more bounces their way and they could have taken 3rd yet. New England falls short because the Chiefs happened but they seemed hit or miss before. 54 points is nice but like the Jets they are ripe for a retool and could be back quick. We are at 7th and you know what that means. Rage time. Man things aren't nice in New York, everything is expensive and the product on ice could be doing better. 42 points and nowhere close to getting anywhere. Hope they come up soon but they are moving on up just like the Admirals. Lastly Buffalo. God I can't wait to stop saying that. Compared to S28 this team seems to have done NOTHING to improve. If fact the got worse. ONLY 12 wins again and were a -84. Team ended the year going 2-8-0. Sounds like what they did all year to be frank. No wonder so many teams are crazy strong, Buffalo get with it.

Goal Leaders (Top 5)
Theo Kane ( Blizzard ) 31
Rider Clitsome ( Steelhawks ) 30
Pedro Sarantez ( Blizzard ) 29
Chernika Banananov ( Chiefs ) 28
Griffin Simons ( Chiefs ) 25*
*Griffin Simons was tied with 4 other players at 25 goals but the sim has him listed at 5th so he gets his name in lights here.
Players with 30+ goals doubled from 1 to 2.

Points leaders (Top 5)
Theo Kane ( Blizzard ) 31-36 for 67
Griffin Simons ( Steelhawks ) 25-33 for 58
Pedro Sarantez ( Blizzard ) 29-28 for 57
Dean Colt ( Steelhawks ) 13-43 for 58 Guy could sauce a mean biscuit.
Rider Clitsome ( Steelhawks ) 30-24 54 Points. Rider spent parts of the season on ALL forward positions, showing he could really be a role player for the Steelhawks.
Theo Kane killed everybody at 67 points not gonna lie.

Other Fun
Cody Black ( Steelhawks ) Beat people black and blue on his way to a Turd Ferguson award with 104 pims.
Viktor Svensson (POR) Blocked 113 shots for the poor Admirals, another favorite for me as I feel bad almost.
Jackson Cartier ( Panthers ) was your rookie leader going 7-18 for 25 points.
Slappy McDoodle ( Platoon ) raised the bar as the SHL became a more violent place to play at 223 Hits.
7 players found themselves in 5 fights each this year, Connor O'Reilly ( Wolfpack ) won 3 of them. Your SHL Heavyweight Champion.
Jakob Tanner ( Steelhawks ) with his .926 SV% and 2.17 GAA was king of the crease.
Now I went looking and Etienne Modano was the leading scorer for the Futile baby Buffalos Stampede going 12-21 for 33 points. When your top scorer only gets 30 points that's bad.

Playoffs Round 1
Blizzard VS  Renegades   Blizzard win in 6
Dragons VS Riot   Dragons win in 5
Chiefs VS  Stars   Stars win in 4
Steelhawks VS  Platoon   Steelhawks win in 6

So its the first round and every one of the 4 series' are Canadian vs American teams. Spoiler alert, EVERY Canadian team wins....ALL of them. Edmonton verses Texas, lets start there. Games were closer than they look and 6 is usually pretty good, close playoff hockey. Games are close as games 1 and 5 go into OT and all but game 6 are one goal games. Blizzard come back from being down 3-2 to take game 6 5-3 and end the Rene's hopes of a deep run.

Next is Calgary verses Seattle. I don't know how ready the Riot thought they were to take on a Dragon but they were wrong. losing the first three games by a combine score of 14-6. game 4 they get a commanding 6-2 win but game 5 the Dragons step up, Alex Mack lighting the lamp for his first of the playoffs to set a battle of Alberta date.

In the East we start with the NUMBER 1 team in Minnesota, to face off against the Toronto North Stars. Now Toronto was a solid team. But these playoffs were for the Chiefs to lose. They did it in stunning fassion. out scored 12-3 combine in games 1 and 2 losing 6-2 and 6-1. They go in for game 3 and just played their heart out. shots were 71!-49 in favor of Minny. Now shots were high all series but wow! Things were close but the 2nd featured a total of 15-5 for Minny and overtime number 1 was 21-8. Overtime 2 was 12-4 but after 40 EXTRA minutes they were gassed. Out shot 5-0 in period number 6 all told. Dane Rowe ends this early morning game for Toronto to give them a 3-2 win and a 3-0 series lead. I'll say this kids, and I feel like Don Cherry doing this, but game 3 is the hardest game to win. NO team wants to go down by 3 and they will fight like it will kill them to not do so. I'll spare you the excitement as this one went to overtime too but with the North Stars out shooting Minny 10-3 it was only a matter of time. Darian Scherbluk gets the 3-2 winner and goalie Mark Harter stops 40 of 42 to give Toronto the surprising sweep.

Hamilton verses West Kendal. OT was a big deal this year. 3 games go to extra time and it was the Platoon who marched to wins in the first 2 in Hammy. Maria Maximova would get 2 goals including the OT winner in game 1 and ends it 3-2. Ales Smirnov the insurance marker in game 2 for the 4-2 win. Rider Clitsome, remember him? Yeah he gets his 3rd of the playoffs and gives the Steelhawks the 4-3 Overtime win. This marks the turning point. Dean Colt scores the winner in a 5-2 killing in game 4 that also saw him make 3 assists for 4 points on the night. Game 5 is back in Hamilton and the Steelhawks get outshot 25-15 but Don Pellegrino nets 2 including the game winner as Hammy wins 3-1, sending things to West Kendal for game 6. Game 6 in front of hometown fans and the Platoon come out swinging. By the end shots would be 42-26 in their favor and Overtime would be needed. Dean Colt fires the shot that kills the Platoon's S29 Cup chances. His 6th of these playoffs and off they go to round 2.

Playoffs Round 2

Edmonton verses Calgary. The Battle of Alberta is always a big one. Don't we love it? It can be such an exciting time and always makes for good hockey. Game 1 takes us to Edmonton as they were the better team so far and wow did this game feel like it. Blizzard get out to a 4-0 lead before watching the Dragons bite back 3 times. Chico Salmon's 3rd of the playoffs would stand as the winner and Edmonton takes a 1-0 lead. Game 2 stays close after Bubba Nuck, now in Calgary after the season before in Minny, puts the Dragons up by 1. Alex Mack would make it 2-0 and when Chicco Salmon gets the Blizz on the board, Mack's marker would prove to be the winner. Game 3 is back in Calgary and its a 5 game series now. should have been an important and close game but it was all Dragons. 4 different Dragons score and Hunter Wong stops all 24 for the shutout. Game 4 and the Blizz need a win. Schnitinfritz Jagr gets 2 in the first and Randy Randleman nets the insurance marker as Calgary takes it 3-1 and puts themselves up 3-1 in the series. Are the defending champions on the verge of a disappointing exit? Find out in game 5 back in Edmonton. Game 5 time baby, and the goals started early. Blizzard with the lead only to see the Dragons tie it up in a hurry. Evgeni Karpotsov comes alive and pots 2 in 10 seconds to give Edmonton the 3-1 win and some much needed life going into game 6. A first period line brawl probably set to some western music or something seems to actually tire the Dragons out as Mark Longford chimes in with 2 on the night, helping to power the Blizzard to a commanding 5-1 victory. Going home for game 7 with the momentum swinging firmly north in Alberta. In a game that saw both sides net perfectly even 24 shots each as well as dueling goalies who went all Billy Smith. Randy Randleman pots his 8th goal and cuts down the Defending champions with a 3-2 win in 7 exciting games.

The Battle of Onterrible starts at the same time over in the east. Hamilton sits at number 2 with Toronto farther back at number 4, crazy that they are here but hey. Game 1 starts in Hamilton and the buzz is the fact that the North Stars swept the Chiefs. In spite of being brutally outshot 36-18, Lukas Johnson snags the win for Toronto 2-1 and keeps the buzz alive. Toronto is tough, but so is Hammy. Game 2 goes to double overtime. Don Pellegrino nets 2 and Marc-Andre Moreau is your OT winner as the Steelhawks take it 5-4. Game 3 is in Toronto and a win means so much for both teams here. For the North Stars its about keeping Home ice advantage and taking momentum too. For the Steelhawks its taking BACK home ice and keeping the momentum. Griffin Simons and Rider Clitsome both pot 2 as Hammy nails Toronto 5-2 in a strong showing. Oddly Toronto had 6 pims in both losses and Hammy kept their cool. Toronto needs a win at home here in game 4 but Hamilton could take a strangle hold on things. Things are getting chippy though with Chester Cunningham and Marc-Andre Moreau fighting in a tilt as close as they come. Steelhawks take it 3-2 and have things at a 3-1 for the series. Griffin Simons with the GWG for his 8th goal. Thomas King with his 2 goals and the North Stars come alive in game 5 with a 3-1 win on the road to stay alive one more time. Game 6 is still do or die but the Steelhawks cant afford to let these guys keep winning. Andrey Barbashev bangs home 2 as the Toronto North Stars enjoy moving on to game 7 in Hamilton. What a comeback to force this game 7. BIG game 7 and the momentum is on the visiter's side. Getting out to an early 2-0 was very promising, but in the 3rd Toronto would get 3 and it is looking like the North Stars are ready to move on. Not long after the go ahead goal, Griffin Simons gets his 10th in order to tie it up at 3s late in the 3rd and that is how it would stay. We are going to need overtime and 3 minutes in Griffin Simons gets another and gives the Hamilton Steelhawks a shot at immortality.

Challenge cup
Dragons VS Steelhawks   Dragons win in 7

Game 1 and these guys don't like each other Cody Black and Esa Anrikkanen fight to a draw at 10:49 of 1st period after the Dragons get off to an early lead. In the second Calgary gets 2 more in 10 seconds, leading to another fight where Schnitinfritz Jagr beats up Jackson Hauke at 14:09 of 2nd period. Calgary would go on to storm to a 6-2 win, truly taking charge. Game 2 features more penalties but no fights as Don Pellegrino gets the insurance marker as the Steelhawks take it 4-2. Game 3 in Calgary would see a back and forth contest and yet again, more penalties. Bubba Nuck fills the empty net to seal the deal on a 4-2 victory and a 2-1 series lead for the home side. Game 4 is hot off the presses and the Dragons get off to an early 2-0 lead before Brandon Cant cuts it down to 1. Nicholas Pedersen and Jackson Hauke fight to a draw at 8:32 of 2nd period which seems to spark the Steelhawks as they would score 4 unanswered including 2 from Rider Clitsome to knot this series up at 2-2. Pivital game 5 winner has the momentum and it was just all Calgary. 4 different Dragons score and Hunter Wong stops 24 of 24 for the 4-0 shutout. Game 6 out west and its do or die for Hamilton. Jaime Hill would get 2 for Calgary but this one would go the distance tied at 3-3. 7 minutes into overtime, Don Pellegrino would play hero scoring his 7th of the playoffs to force game 7. Game 7 in Hamilton where we'd have to go the distance again. Esa Anrikkanen scores 2 for the Dragons but we are off to overtime tied 3-3. It would only take 2 minutes to decide and it would be little known 3rd liner Michael Burch who got 3 insane whacks at it to bring the Challenge cup back to Alberta.

Top 5 in Goals
Rider Clitsome ( Steelhawks ) with 13
Griffin Simons ( Steelhawks ) with 12
Jaime Hill ( Dragons ) with 10
Nicholas Pedersen ( Dragons ) with 9
Randy Randleman ( Dragons ) with 9

Top 5 in Points
Rider Clitsome ( Steelhawks ) leads all going 13-16 for 29
Griffin Simons ( Steelhawks ) is right behind going 12-16 for 28
Dean Colt ( Steelhawks ) went 9-16 for 25
Nicholas Pedersen ( Dragons ) goes 9-10 for 19
Esa Anrikkanen ( Dragons ) is a familiar face going 5-14 for 19.

Other fun points.
Rookie Shane Gagner ( Dragons ) scored 4 and added 2 assists as some strong depth scoring for the champs.
Dean Colt ( Steelhawks ) had 96 hits in 20 games.
Aviad Ratzon ( Riot ) and Theo Kane ( Blizzard ) each had hattricks
15 fighting majors and the only ones won were by  Dragons
Mark Harter ( Stars ) posted a .927 SV% and a 2.23 GAA showing why the North Stars got so far.
Hunter Wong ( Dragons ) posted the only 2 shutouts on route to the Challenge Cup.

So that's S29. Decade closes out in an ALL Canadian style. Tomorrow we look at S30 and the fresh new decade it would be.

3164 words for the graders pleasure.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Buffalo Pre @WannabeFinn were fuckin trash m8

10-08-2018, 01:20 PMWhite Cornerback Wrote: Buffalo Pre @WannabeFinn were fuckin trash m8
ye

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

10-08-2018, 01:20 PMWhite Cornerback Wrote: Buffalo Pre @WannabeFinn were fuckin trash m8

I am noticing this

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

S26: Lost East Final 4-3 to Hamilton Steelhawks
S27: Lost East Final 4-0 to Hamilton Steelhawks
S28: Lost Round 1 4-1 to Hamilton Steelhawks
S29: Lost East Final 4-3 to Hamilton Steelhawks

I'd forgotten how much I hated Hamilton.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars