Create Account

S43 SMJHL CW

1 - If I had to pick a player from an eliminated team, I'd probably have picked Jean-Pierre G** and slotted him into the Militia roster after we beat them in the first round. G** is a beast on the ice, and a great locker room presence. In order to make a roster spot for G** I would have dropped rookie defenseman Dinārs Briedis. Unfortunately, Briedis came out of the gate really enthusiastic about the league but went inactive within a couple of weeks. Apparently he was looking for a league that had a visual aspect, and we just didn't fit the bill. The Militia had high hopes for him being a solid defenseman for a few seasons, but that all came crashing down. Had we had G** on our roster, I think he would have lead all rookies in scoring for the playoffs and single-handedly carried the Militia to the Cup finals, where he would have gone beast mode and scored every goal in every game, becoming MVP of the playoffs and even getting his own award named after him.

2 - In order to stand out to SHL GM's for this upcoming SHL draft, I will not be doing anything different than what I already do. As a recreate, many people already know and have opinions of me. The real question is who sets those opinions aside and takes the chance on a player who was labeled a risk due to retiring his first player after only a handful of seasons. If I was trying to stand out, though, I'd definitely be doing all the interested prospects threads and I would be more active in the SHL discord server, where more people would get to know me and hopefully that would help raise my draft stock. Plus, there's only like 15 hours to go until the draft at this point. I'm pretty sure most people know what their draft boards look like already.

3 - "Derek Bohne, how do you feel about your performance in the playoffs this season?"

Bohne - I feel pretty good, honestly. Coming into a team like the Militia as a rookie, I was grateful to even make the roster this season. I'm really glad I gained the confidence of the coaching staff and was able to help the team in the playoffs. I'll definitely be looking forward to next season when we win it all.

"What was the highlight of the playoffs for you?"

Bohne - Just having the chance to experience them. I'm pretty sure this was one of the most fucked up playoffs in recent history, with us having to play two games over. Having the experience of the playoffs, and having the experience of some total bullshit calls going against us, is going to be huge for next season. Precedent has been set, so now we just have to hope that more teams don't find some shenaniganary ways to get more games replayed. Hopefully the powers that be will look at this in the off-season, and will address it moving forward. I'm not holding my breath, though.

"What is your goal for next season?"

Bohne - Well, obviously the goal is to make the playoffs. I feel like with a solid off season of training, I'll be able to really help the team more next season. Hopefully I'll be able to stay healthy and really turn it up in the playoffs. That's when the real season starts, and I'm going to have to prove myself there!"

4 - Vancouver Whalers vs St Louis Scarecrows - Game 2. Final score - Vancouver 7, St Louis 1.

First period - St Louis came off of the gates hot and put some pressure on the Vancouver goalie. It didn't amount to anything though, as 5 minutes into the game Jack Kennedy picked up his own rebound and found the back of the next to put Vancouver up 1 to 0. The Scarecrows didn't have any kind of response to that goal, and went down 2 to 0 just over 2 minutes later. Luckily for the Scarecrows, the Whalers decided to wait almost a whole minute before putting the puck in the back of the net... again... to go up 3-0. Four minutes later, while on the power play, Vancouver scores again to make if 4-0. The goal was challenged, and overturned. Scarecrows fans thought that would give the team the spark they needed, but at 14:03 of the first period, Vancouver crushes those hopes going up 4-0 and chasing the goalie. With 1:04 to go in the first period, Hakansson is welcomed to the game when the Whalers scored on him to make it 5-0.

Second period - The game got physical, with both teams racking up the hits. The pad wall that the Scarecrows put up in front of their goal seemed to work this period, though, as no goals were scored for either team. You could feel the hope from St Louis fans.

Third period - Well, the refs realized there was no actual goalie in net for the Scarecrows in the second period. They've removed the pad wall and had Hakansson go back into net. Both teams played well this period, with Pedersen Jr scoring for the Scarecrows to start their epic comeback, Vancouver now leads 5-1. Unfortunately, no one else got the memo. Vancouver scores two more times to wrap this game up at 7-1. All three of the 3 Stars go to Vancouver players, each having a 3 point night.

5 - maybe. Required graphics tasks are a bitch for mobile.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2018, 12:51 PM by Nickleback_lover69.)

Task #1 - Pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them into an existing playoff lineup. Who do they replace, why, how do their playoff stats look?
Must include: 150 words.

The player I pick from an eliminated team would be Leshaun King. First OA Draft pick in the SHL and no surprise there. This kid doesn’t miss a single TPE opportunity. Is very active with media with his super cool podcast with luketd called “Luking” and the wicked sigs he makes for other players. There’s no surprised he has like 100 million in his bank account right now. Unfortunately for him though the Knights were eliminated but I really think the Whalers could’ve really benefitted from a Center like him. Between the Halifax Raiders and the Kelwona Knights, King got whopping 33 Points with 12 goals and 21 assists. And although the Whalers are already super stacked I’d throw a player like King into the mix to replace someone like Soren Kierkegaard who got about 27 points this season. 6 points less than King, and a 6-point difference between him and the next forward with the lowest number of points.

Words: 160

Task #2 - With the SHL draft looming in the shadow of playoffs, tell us how you're going to distinguish yourself to SHL GMs during your cup run or in the beginning of your offseason.
Must include: 100 words.

Coming into the SMJHL draft I was the highest TPE earner, because I started off early and never missed a TPE opportunity I was able to surpass a lot of recreates. I also had a substantial bank account with a 6000-word article as my first media. I also came in with experience LR experience. However, the one big thing the recreates had over me was “certainty”. GM’s were positive the recreates would stay in the game and wouldn’t become inactive at any point, so drafting me would be a risk. However, this season I proved that I would stay active and value the sport, being the top TPE earner in my draft class once more.

Words:115

Task #3 - Either write an interview with your player about your team's playoff hopes (or if you're on an eliminated team, an interview about your team's season in review) OR create a program cover for one of the games in any playoff series.
Must include: Written option - 200 words. Graphic option - Logos of both teams in the matchup and at least one player render.

[Image: AnXJk86.png]

Task #4 –Choose any game in the finals and write a short post game recap. Can be a summary of the goals scored, a turning point, an unsung hero profile, etc.

Game 51, Saint Louis Scarecrows vs Vancouver Whalers. Last game of the season, the big FINALE. Tonight, was pretty intense as the Scarecrows took 33 shots on the Whalers and the Whalers took 24, and still came out on top. The first period was definitely a game-winning period as the Whalers scored 3 goals 17 minutes into the game, followed by another goal in the second period to really solidify their win. The first goal of the night was scored by Jack Kenned, quickly followed by Tokek Takshak only two minutes later. Nicholas Williams fought for the Scarecrow comeback by scoring a minute later and giving them a real chance to fight. But shortly after Eriks Skalbergs sinked that third goal that really put the nail in the coffin for the Scarecrows. The game followed with another Whalers goal by Garret McCarthy 15.5 minutes into the second period giving the Whalers that 4-1 lead. I have to give it to the Scarecrows they fought until the end with their second goal in the third period by Steven Moyer. But unfortunately, it wasn’t enough against these tough competitors.

Words: 187

Task #5 - Create a playoff poster for your team advertising a specific game or a series. (If your team didn't make playoffs, create a rivalry night style poster for a regular season game.)
Must include: at least one SMJHL logo.

[Image: d7K4VFl.png]

Task #1

What would have happened if we had taken Vladimir Vaskov from the Colorado Raptors who were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs and placed him onto the Scarecrows who managed to go a bit further? Well it might just have been what he team needed to help them since the series. Vaskov is a winger who can score goals without even trying too hard, and in a series like the Scarecrows went through it could have been the difference in them leaving as the winners of the cup and them coming not quite close enough to do the job. I would have replaced Jerry Larry on the Scarecrows with him. Larry didn't score any points at all in the playoffs and a player as good as Vaskov would have been such a big change up for the team. I think he would have scored at least 12 points in the 12 playoff games, probably more, and I think he'd have led the Scarecrows in goals scored.

Task #2

The honest truth? I haven't done anything to distinguish myself, all my players since the first Angello have sucked and even Keegan has sucked so far. But that's what is going to motivate me to try and get shit done now. I've taken so many chances to try and succeed and this has to be it. All GMs need to know is I'm going to work real hard to get back on track and have the kind of success with Keegan that I know I can do, like I did with Nolan at the start of his career. Now playoffs are over I have to spend the rest of the offseason proving I'm doing it for real and I mean that in the realest way.

Task #1 - Pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them into an existing playoff lineup. Who do they replace, why, how do their playoff stats look?

I think if I were to pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them on my team, I'd have to pick Leshaun King of the Kelowna Knights after the vastly superior Detroit Falcons knocked them out of the playoffs. Leshaun is a bonafide superstar in the making, going 1st overall in his SHL Entry Draft. I think that Leshaun would definitely help boost the Detroit Falcons to the next level and help them beat the unbearable St. Louis Scarecrows in 5 games due to the line chemistry jelling as it should. He would probably replace one of the inactive scrubs in our lines and be a great help to the Falcons on their quest to the cup. With Leshaun on the Falcons, it seems like it's a no brainer that the Falcons would at least make it to the Four Star Cup Finals, and probably even win the Championship itself.

Task #2 - With the SHL draft looming in the shadow of playoffs, tell us how you're going to distinguish yourself to SHL GMs during your cup run or in the beginning of your offseason.

Chuck's dad scored a gig with the Texas Renegades, so that's where he will probably (read: will) go. Chuck didn't have the most spectacular playoff performance as they were eliminated in the second round by the St. Louis Scarecrows. The offspring of Chris Crutchfield has a very specific plan for the offseason - he will have to train as hard as he possibly can to get the Falcons back on the horse again to challenge for the Four Star Cup. This involves evolving his game at a physical and mental level to become the best defenceman that the SMJHL has to offer.

Task #3 - Either write an interview with your player about your team's playoff hopes (or if you're on an eliminated team, an interview about your team's season in review) OR create a program cover for one of the games in any playoff series.
Must include: Written option - 200 words. Graphic option - Logos of both teams in the matchup and at least one player render.

Interviewer: "Hi Chuck, obviously it is sad to see your team knocked out of the Four Star Cup playoffs, can you enlighten us as to how the room is doing and how you guys plan to bounce back next season?"

Chuck Crutchfield: "Obviously it sucks to be knocked out in this fashion to a team that nobody really cares for, but we're all going to do our best to come back harder and stronger next season. Right now everyone is disappointed that we lost to the Scarecrows, but to their credit they played a solid series and we weren't up to snuff. We should have been better, but we weren't, so here we are. I have the SHL Draft coming up shortly so that's my next focus, training hard to impress as many scouts and team officials that I can, before hopefully coming back down to Detroit for another season or two to help this team compete for a Four Star Cup. We've battled extremely hard to get to where we are at, and our rookies did a great job coming in and playing extremely solid in our roles, but our big guns didn't fire off and our offensive options as a whole just weren't good enough to beat the Scarecrows. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me. See you next season."

Task #4 - Choose any game in the finals and write a short post game recap. Can be a summary of the goals scored, a turning point, an unsung hero profile, etc.

The 5th game of the final turned out to be the last as the Vancouver Whalers rolled over the St. Louis Scarecrows thanks to a 3 goal 1st period, with the final score ending up being 4-2. Aleister Cain didn't play very well, as his .733 save percentage was really what kept St. Louis out of this game as they were absolutely firing on all cylinders, outshooting the Whalers 33-24. The unsung hero of the game to me has to be Geoff Moore, who had two assists and blocked 2 shots in 22:12 of ice time. He was a very solid piece for Vancouver during their entire playoff run, and it paid off in spades (and a Four Star Cup). His offensive game was great and his defensive game was phenomenal as well, and that was a big piece of why Vancouver was able to run away with this game, and the Four Star Cup.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Task #1 - Pick a player from an eliminated team and slot them into an existing playoff lineup. Who do they replace, why, how do their playoff stats look? 

Tig Murphy would be a player that I believe St. Louis would look at bringing in if the opportunity presented itself. Kiko Rytmeyr brings a lot to the table but he would be the guy I would deem expendable in favor of Tig Murphy. Also considering that Tig Murphy is sitting at 507 TPE over Kiko Rytmeyr's 380 TPE, Tig would be a large upgrade for St. Louis. Tig Murphy is capable of playing in all situations and would eat up a large chunk of minutes. In addition to running the top unit PP and being a part of the top PK unit, Tig Murphy has the ability to take over a game with his elite skating and vision. Tig Murphy doesn't score at an elite pace but will pick up a large chunk of points on the PP and 5 on 5 just from his ability to be able to move the puck up the ice and provide crisp passing for this teammates. I believe with Tig Murphy on the squad, the St. Louis Scarecrows could have been champions this season.

Task #2 - With the SHL draft looming in the shadow of playoffs, tell us how you're going to distinguish yourself to SHL GMs during your cup run or in the beginning of your offseason.

To distinguish myself from all the other players in this draft I'm going to continue to work hard and build up my skill set to ensure I reach my maximum potential. Training hard and continuing to work on my skating, passing, defending, puck handling, and shooting will go a long way in helping my team and I be successful. I'm huge on team building and I believe it's important to make sure that we play hard for one another and to treat one another like family. If I can help my team play as a unit and help build a winning culture, I'd like to think that I've not only become a successful player but a better teammate.

Q: Before we get into your team and the season you guys had, how do you feel about the season you had personally as a rookie?

Aaron Freakin' Rome: Yeah I think I had a good year for the most part. It was tough adjusting to the pace of the league at first, but once I got a few games under my belt I started to become more comfortable and started to believe I can keep up with the rest of the players in this league. I just focused on playing my game and taking care of my own end first. As the games carried on I started to gain confidence with handling the puck and moving up ice and making plays in the offensive zone. I feel like I bring a different element to this defensive group and now that I have a season under my belt, I'm going to work hard this offseason and come back stronger next year. We're going to have a strong team again next year and I'm hoping we can bring an SMJHL title to Detroit before I turn pro.

Q: Good stuff Aaron. Now speaking of Detroit, how do you feel about the season you guys had? It was a disappointing end to the playoff run but you must be proud of the season you guys had.

Aaron Freakin' Rome: Absolutely. Hey look, everyone in that locker room wants to win. But we also have to understand that sometimes things won't go our way. That last series could have gone either way, to be honest. That team over there played hard and could've easily gotten to the final. We need to give ourselves a pat on the back for the work we put in and the sacrifices we made for each other. It was a great learning experience not only for my team but for me as well and I'm sure collectively as a group, we'll come back better next year.

Q: What specifically did you like about this season, and what do you think you guys can work on?

Aaron Freakin' Rome: I think as a group we played well together. We did the little things right such as, winning puck battles, playing well defensively, having a strong special teams, timely saves, clogging the neutral zone, crisp passing, and always moving our feet. Those little things can go a long way and if you compete night in and night out, you can beat anyone in this league. I think an area that we can improve at is being a little bit more aggressive in the offensive zone. Sometimes I felt like we could've played a more direct game in the offensive zone and focus on putting pucks to the net and crashing the net versus making that extra pass or trying to be too fancy. If we simplify things in the offensive zone and focus on getting pucks to the net more and give the opposing goalies a difficult time in the crease, I feel we'll score a lot more goals next year. I think defensively, we have a very strong team and if we can take that extra step offensively, I can see us having a lot of success next season.

Task #4 - Choose any game in the finals and write a short post game recap. Can be a summary of the goals scored, a turning point, an unsung hero profile, etc. 

Game 5 of the SMJHL cup finals got off to a great start for Vancouver, but not so good for the St. Louis Scarecrows. Jack Kennedy scored just 2:44 into the game to give the Whalers a 1-0 lead. Just over 2 minutes later Tokek Takshak capitalized on the power play to give Vancouver a 2-0 just 4:56 into the 1st period. Things looked to be going downhill fast for the Scarecrows until Nicholas Williams answered right back just 1:07 later with a wrist shot from the left faceoff circle to get the Scarecrows back within one. They managed to gain a ton of momentum from that goal until Eriks Skalbergs helped the Whalers regain the 2 goal lead when he deflected a shot from the blueline that found the back of the net at the 16:52 mark of the 1st period. Aleister Cain seemed to have a tough 1st period letting in 3 goals on just 10 shots while his team carried the play for most of the period.

The 2nd period was dominated by the Scarecrows for the first 10 minutes. They carried the play for the most part until they took a weak penalty with about 6 minutes remaining in the period. Barret McCarthy made the Scarecrows pay with just 4 seconds remaining on the power play to give the Whalers a 3 goal cushion. Cain was pulled after the goal and was replaced by Arvid Hakansson at the 15:56 mark of the 2nd period. 

The 3rd period was once again dominated by the Scarecrows, however, Johannes Leitner made one big save after another as the Scarecrows desperately tried to get back in the game. Steven Moyer scored at the 3:17 mark of the 3rd period to get the Scarecrows back within 2. Leitner would shut the door the rest of the way as his team was outshot 14-8 in the 3rd period and 33-24 in the full 60 minutes. Leitner would eventually backstop his team to an SMJHL title with a 4-2 victory. Lots of players deserved to be in the 3-star nominations but ultimately, it would be Geoff Moore who was named the game's 1st star. He had 2 assists, 1 SOG, 2 hits, and 2 shot blocks while leading the team in ice time with 22:12. Eriks Skalbergs was named the game's third star as he put up 1 goal, 1 assist, 5 SOG, and played 20:07 of the game. Nicholas Williams was the lone St. Louis player named to the 3-star selections.

Task #5 - Create a playoff poster for your team advertising a specific game or a series. (If your team didn't make playoffs, create a rivalry night style poster for a regular season game.)
Must include: at least one SMJHL logo.

[Image: buddyguy_-_Discord.jpg?width=377&height=445]

New Sig coming soon...

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2018, 04:13 PM by Chewbacca.)

Task #2
I'm just gonna talk to the scouts who are interested in me, not in any way I will try to show off in the playoffs just to be noticed by teams. The main goal is the Four Star Cup, not getting drafted high in the SHL draft. I'm not worried about about not being picked at all, I really doubt it will happen, because I'm a team player which is willing to sacrifice his ice time or scoring for the good of the team and many teams look for the unselfish guys who can take a hit for the team to move closer to win the cup. And maybe that's why Whalers are doing so good in the playoffs, we all are those kind of players and everyone hopes that SHL scouts will notice that, instead some flashy statline for other young stars in the losing teams. It's just just the wining culture we represent. And which team wouldn't want that in their team?

Task #5

[Image: tX7qCCP.png]

hewoe
[Image: 0OAAUwi.png]