Create Account

Exit interview with Bohne

Today we're sitting down with Montreal Militia rookie center Derek Bohne. Bohne was drafted in the second round with the 11th overall pick. After a slow start, he put up 8 goals and 16 points during the regular season. In the playoffs he posted 4 goals and an assist in 12 games before the Militia were eliminated.

Derek, thank you for joining us today. What are you thoughts on your rookie season?

Bohne - Thank you for having me. Coming into my rookie season I really didn't know what to expect. I was a good player in the German leagues, but coming to the SMJHL was a major change. The players here are far more skilled, bigger, stronger, and faster than anything I've ever had to deal with. I started slow, very slow. I was hoping to hit 20 points on the season, but I'm happy to have put up the 16 points I did. This season definitely had some growing pains, but I really feel like I learned a lot that'll help me have a breakout season next season.

[u] How was your experience in Montreal?[/I]

B - Ah, it was actually a great experience. I was a bit surprised to be drafted here, when everything I'd heard had me going to Colorado. I'm very grateful to the management of Montreal, though, and I really enjoyed my rookie season. We were really convinced we'd be able to make a solid run for the Cup, and I'm disappointed we weren't able to make it to the finals.

Let's talk the playoffs. We know there was a lot of controversy there. What do you have to say about it?

B - Heh, yeah. Controversy. I thought I was having a pretty good run in the playoffs. I was really coming into my game, and I felt like I was going to be able to help Montreal win the Cup. I don't think any of us expected to have to play not one, but two games over again. Honestly, I just don't get it. The Colorado series, yeah, maybe. Their goalies got confused and the backup went in instead of their starter. Not exactly our fault, but whatever. We had to play the game over. Then my GM plays our backup in a game to make it fair to them? Whatever, we won and we took the series.

What about the Vancouver series?

B - I wish you hadn't brought that one up. Frankly, I think it's utter bullshit. One of their players was messed up for the entire series. You'd think the team would have caught it, but they didn't. So now we're tired 2-2 in the series going into a pivotal game 5, and all of a sudden Vancouver freaks out. The head office gets involved and decides we need to play game 4 over again? We just came off an 8 game series against Colorado, now you're making us play another redo game? Why did they only make us replay game 4, if this issue was present for the entire series? Why didn't they redo the entire series?

We fully agree with you. Do you think it would have been a different outcome had it been the whole series?

B - Honestly, who knows? We might have swept. They might have swept. It could have gone to game 7. The point is, this was handled absolutely terrible, and the league set a bad precedent moving forward. I'm even more annoyed that our goalie wasn't updated properly, and instead of crying to the league we addressed it and had it corrected for the next game. I guess we should have cried and stamped our feet. It seems to get results.

Er, uh, yeah... So, uh, what are you looking to next season?

B - First and foremost is the SHL draft. I have no doubt that this interview will hurt my draft position, but I needed to get this off my chest. Honestly, I think next season this is going to motivate me to come out even harder and really get on top of my game. I want to make sure there's no room for controversy next season, or any season after, and I want to have a chance at shattering records. So, like I said, the first thing is the SHL draft and finding out where, and when, I go. After that, it's nothing but training, grinding, and getting ready for next season. Finally, the next big goal is lifting the Cup for Montreal next season.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

That's my centre! Hey man cheers to a good season and I hope you are happy with whoever drafts you in the SHL!

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.