Create Account

Zach Evans Finals Presser
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018, 08:12 PM by ztevans.)

READY TO GRADE - 2,036 WORDS

Taking questions. Probably one of the last pressers I'll do with Evans, never been a huge fan of them but have to commemorate this trip to the finals, regardless of how it ends, because there's no guarantee for another. Ask away, anything goes.

Slappydoodle: First question (there will be more from me later) why don't you just record an episode of the PIWRM?

Two reasons. The first one, while I will always have a special place in my heart for listeners of the PIWRM, pressers get a wider range of both questions and people asking them. Not everybody wants to listen to me talk for an hour for some reason. It's weird. It's definitely less financial ROI in SHL cash, but whatever. Also, I legitimately thought I was going to be out of town this weekend, but that changed today. Mostly the first one, though.

Twils: Now that we’re starting to get into some real regression and things may start to slow down, what was your favourite moment/season during the peak of your career? I don’t mean this as a slight in any way, I’m asking from the same boat.

Honestly, Season 38 as the most fun I had on the site. The end result was definitely not what I hoped for, but that was the most fun I've had on the site and in the Winnipeg locker room. Wasn't a terrible season for me individually either, but that was largely a product of being on a great team. Season 38 also ended with a gold medal, so what can I say? It wasn't a bad time at all.

Mike Izzy: What will league historians say about Zach Evans?
Is Zach Evans a future hall of famer?
Your podcast is well received by the masses, will you be doing more of them in the future?

I honestly have no idea. That's for the league historians to say. I don't think my career was good enough for them to talk a lot about me, though. I'll have some solid numbers from volume, and some awards including a Khan in S38, but that was far and away my best season and I didn't really replicate it at any point.

At this point, I don't think so if you put a gun to my head. I'm sure a lot of people will say that's just me being my typical self-deprecating self, but I do think the committee will see me as a "Hall of Very Good" player who had one elite season in S38.

I have no plans to resume the PIWRM at this time.

CaptSquall: How do you feel about Evans' career?
What is the funniest moment?
What was his best game?

Ah, how does all this make me feel? Smile As much as I'm downplaying some of the 'legacy' stuff, Evans' career has exceeded my expectations - which were none, of course. Even if my best days are behind me, there was a time where my name got tossed around near the pointy end of the Top 100 and in award predictions, which is mind-boggling to me as someone who remembered reading those for the first time and looking up to the names on them like Lunaro and Peebs. Got a Cup, got an IIHF gold medal, got an MVP. It was a good time.

The funniest moment, hands down, actually had nothing to do with my playing career. The Season 32 Four Star Cup Finals, Game Four, my first season as Detroit Falcons Co-GM (and first after Evans had been called up to Winnipeg). Detroit was on the business end of a Kelowna sweep, but the play-by-plays throughout that series were nothing but fun, and that was especially the case for the final game. Bantering with Jenny, EJ, Samee, and all the other knuckleheads in that series was the best, and MWHazard played it up like a champ while presenting that PbP.

Evans' best game, hilariously, never actually happened. Back in S40, Evans had a six-point game against a ... let's say less than optimal Seattle Riot team which ultimately finished 9-37-4. However, it came on the day of the Freddie LaFlame sim error, when Texas' backup goalie had 40s in all of his ratings and made a couple of starts. When that sim-day was resimmed, the six-point game was lost to the ether.

Zoone16: I miss Ztevans Eleven. Will you get back to doing them?

Unlikely. Most of my "deep-digging" writing these days is on SBA. So if you're into that kind of thing, join SBA! I don't see myself ever getting invested enough in the SHL again to bring that back, as fun as it was at the time.

Bojo: How many ztables will you flip if you win? lose?

I believe all tables are safe, regardless of outcome (which seems pretty much determined at this point, but I suppose stranger things have happened in Simon T).

gerarob: In your mind, do the Jets and Platoon have a playoff rivalry?
What's the biggest issue with the site right now?
Why do you dislike me?
Congrats on a great run with this dude.

This is an interesting one for me. As Bojo noted, it hasn't been a particularly frequent matchup, as one would expect as two teams from separate conferences. However, I think, at least for me and other listeners of podcasts, both teams got elevated a bit (and their meetings meant more) because of Slappy and Bonk's banter on the Big Slappy Hour during the era of McDoodle and Big Manious. With Slappy now in Calgary, that connection really isn't there anymore.

I'm sure, for a couple of people who still hold grudges over decisions people who are no longer active on the site made months upon months ago, it's a pretty big rivalry. I'm just glad to be back in the finals, and West Kendall happens to be the opponent.

The biggest issue on the site could be summed up best by a conversation I had with another SHLer (not a teammate, actually not even a Western Conference player, but otherwise I'll leave them nameless for now) very late one night in a voice chat. By and large, most of the conversations on the forum are incredibly negative. And it's not a "If you don't like that mentality, avoid the Thunderdome" thing. It tends to permeate into every section of the site. Basically, every friendly conversation and civil debate happens on Discord, so only the internet keyboard warriors come to the messageboards with their knives sharpened and guns loaded to do whatever the hell it is they do.

I can already hear the follow-up to this: Discord ruined the site by taking that activity away! No. There are other leagues that have started in the Discord epoch that are doing just fine, growing and bringing in new members. Their forums are about equally as active, and don't have the poison that often fills this space, along with higher quality media and such to give you a legitimate reason to check their forums. And leagues like SBA and (from what I've heard since I'm not there) VHL are growing more now than ever. However, what Discord has done is given plenty of people reason to just ... stop checking this particular forum, knowing whatever they read is just going to be people yelling anyways. And then they go inactive.

I do not dislike you. I can count on one hand the people on the site I dislike. If I truly disliked you, you would know with zero uncertainty why I disliked you Smile

And thank you!

Bonk: Does Slappy's insistent harassing of you to record more PIWRM ever bother you?
Are you satisfied with your playoff performance?
What are Evans' plans for the offseason?

Not at all. I appreciate that people miss the podcast and, for whatever reason, wish to hear more of my southern drawl and thoughts on fake hockey.

Not at all. I suck.

I'd say "get better," but that isn't going to happen thanks to regression. Probably just try to keep Nikolai out of trouble.

gerarob: I was kinda sad you wrote my username in as "gerarob" and not as my regular one, then I realized, it's probably super easy to just see that. So it's good.
Did you think the Finals would have lasted longer than they did?
How much longer does Evans have in the tank?
Is there a future recreate?
I apologize if any of these had been asked already, I didn't read the entire thing. Uhhhhh if you had to choose a martial art you think is the coolest, which would it be and why?

Honestly, I considered it, but the only reason I'm not tagging people right now is because I don't want to ping people every time I update this. I'll add tags when I submit it for grading, so you'd just become "gerarob" then anyways  Laughing

I mean, couldn't be shorter! But yeah, I honestly expected (and wrote ... somewhere? Maybe weekend funtime?) I expected a six or seven game series between two evenly matched teams. That, uh, was not the case. Oops!

Great question! I wish I knew the answer, honestly. A lot of moving pieces. My original plan was to carry Evans until the next summer Reddit draft. I'm no longer married to that at this point, but now the question is how much more I want to do with him. In the short term, I expect at least 2-3 more seasons, if for no other reason than I don't want to leave Winnipeg with only one center in Visser. Ideally we'd solve that sooner rather than later and I could extend my career a bit by regressing out of faceoffs, but we'll see.  

Yes, I intend to recreate when I retire Evans as of right now. If you had asked me that a month ago, I probably would have said no.

Hmm. Probably something kicky like taekwondo. No matter what, I would be really shitty at it.

ej27: Are you lookin' forward to the weekend? And a follow up question, if I may...which seat can you take?
What flavor cookie are you gonna pack in your saboteur kit this season?
Favorite season of Evans' SHL career so far?

I am very much looking forward to (at this point, enjoying the weekend). I am currently taking the recliner. If I were leaving the house, however, I would be kicking it in the front seat, because unlike Rebecca Black in her life-changing song "Friday," I'm old enough to drive myself, dammit.

How about these chocolate chip creme cookies? Not only will they include my secret saboteur ingredients, but come with the bonus of RIDICULOUS SUGAR HIGH AND DIABEETUS for that extra "don't score on me and let me score pls" punch.

There are lots of seasons I like for different reasons. Season 30 was fun because it was that SMJHL rookie season when everything is new and fun and shiny and there were a ton of active people in my rookie class. Season 31 was, honestly, largely miserable until the playoff run, but the playoff run was so fun it made up for it. Season 32 was forgettable as a player, but my favorite season as a GM. Season 34 was exciting since Winnipeg snapped its playoff drought. Season 37, I'll always remember fondly for winning a Challenge Cup. And Season 38 was probably my favorite "team" as well as my best individual season.

Utlimately, I would probably say Season 38. But I've been pretty fortunate to have plenty of good times and good seasons.

[Image: zdenkoberanek.gif]
Sigs by @enigmatic, @Geekusoid, @sve7en  and @Wasty 
Zach Evans
 | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2018, 12:15 AM by Slappydoodle.)

First question (there will be more from me later) why don't you just record an episode of the PIWRM?

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Now that we’re starting to get into some real regression and things may start to slow down, what was your favourite moment/season during the peak of your career? I don’t mean this as a slight in any way, I’m asking from the same boat.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

What will league historians say about Zach Evans?
Is Zach Evans a future hall of famer?
Your podcast is well received by the masses, will you be doing more of them in the future?

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

How do you feel about Evans' career?
What is the funniest moment?
What was his best game?

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

I miss Ztevans Eleven. Will you get back to doing them?

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

How many ztables will you flip if you win? lose?

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

In your mind, do the Jets and Platoon have a playoff rivalry?

What's the biggest issue with the site right now?

Why do you dislike me?

Congrats on a great run with this dude.

[Image: tempsnip.png]
[Image: image0.jpg?width=360&height=180]

10-16-2018, 01:39 PMgerarob Wrote: In your mind, do the Jets and Platoon have a playoff rivalry?

It's only the third time WKP/WPG have met in the ploofs.

(... but yes)

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

10-16-2018, 01:42 PM.bojo Wrote:
10-16-2018, 01:39 PMgerarob Wrote: In your mind, do the Jets and Platoon have a playoff rivalry?

It's only the third time WKP/WPG have met in the ploofs.

(... but yes)
I'm hoping he says yes, because it'll make my playoff hate of the Jets feel justified loooool

Does Slappy's insistent harassing of you to record more PIWRM ever bother you?

Are you satisfied with your playoff performance?

What are Evans' plans for the offseason?

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Updated to here

Zach Evans
Nikolai Evans

I was kinda sad you wrote my username in as "gerarob" and not as my regular one, then I realized, it's probably super easy to just see that. So it's good.

Did you think the Finals would have lasted longer than they did?

How much longer does Evans have in the tank?

Is there a future recreate?

I apologize if any of these had been asked already, I didn't read the entire thing. Uhhhhh if you had to choose a martial art you think is the coolest, which would it be and why?

Updooted

Zach Evans
Nikolai Evans

Are you lookin' forward to the weekend? And a follow up question, if I may...which seat can you take?

What flavor cookie are you gonna pack in your saboteur kit this season?

Favorite season of Evans' SHL career so far?

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page