Create Account

S19: Sky is the limit

Its been a bit due to work and home life dominating, as well as my computer crashing and burning my last go at S19. So since I have now found myself a small corner of time I thought i'd set into it. For those wondering HUGE credit to @ztevens for digging up and PMing me Several times in order to allow me to acquire all of the files dating from S19-S27. These 8 lost seasons will be my focus as I bring us back up to speed on the state of the SHL after all the work that went into viewing seasons 28, 29, and 30. Also kudos to all of you who have shown support and GENUINE enjoyment of these past seasons and my ability to breath some smidge of life into history. What better place to start than with the standings. Now heads up this is a dark and mysterious time when the SHL only had 12 teams. An odd time to say the least.

West
Jets 30-18-2 62 Points 135 GF 114 GA
Panthers 27-17-6 60 Points 144 GF 116 GA
Riot 28-19-3 59 Points 146 GF 135 GA
Dragons 27-21-2 56 Points 123 GF 119 GA
----------------------------------------------------
Blizzard 22-18-10 54 Points 119 GF 121 GA
Renegades 23-14-3 49 Points 117 GF 125 GA

First thing is first, the west is WILD and close. 13 Points separate top spot Winnipeg and last place Texas. Jets end up with 62 points which is pretty sweet all told, though only 135 goals for in 50 games is really rather low. Almost impressively. Their games are low scoring, hard fought defensive battles. Next up is the Panthers with 60 points and almost 10 more goals. They could come out of this looking like a more dominant team come playoff time. Or they may flop who knows. Seattle is number 3 at 59 points. 3 rock solid seasons i'll be honest on the board right here. GD of +11 isn't massive but in such a low scoring league it is hardly surprising. The Dragons roar into number 4 with 56 points, low goals for, and even lower goals against. Another rock solid defensive team that could give the Jets headaches. Edmonton doesn't make the cut just 2 points back with 54. 10 OT losses for 10 loser points gives them an odd season but the first team here with a negative GD shows that they deserved to miss out. Texas is up next finishing 6th with a meager 49 points. Not a bad record at all but the STACKED west has them missing out. Another negative GD hints at an inflated level of success but still. Notably missing is the Portland/San Francisco franchise as they had yet to make it into the league. As always I am confidant that the winner should come from here with Winnipeg and LA being the favorites and Seattle or Calgary figuring in as a Dark Horse of sorts.

East
Steelhawks 35-10-5 75 Points 151 GF 114 GA
Rage 30-16-4 64 Points 147 GF 118 GA
Wolfpack 26-15-9 61 Points 138 GF 126 GA
Stars 24-18-8 56 Points 143 GF 142 GA
------------------------------------------------------
Platoon 19-29-2 40 Points 106 GF 150 GA
Chiefs 9-37-4 22 Points 65 GF 153 GA

Here is the East and mama look out. Move aside Jets, Hammy is here to show you a true champion in the making. 75 Points and the best GD in the league this team dominated. I would say that they are the team to dread going into it. The Rage are looking to make waves too 64 points is second best in the league and their high GD is a great indication of a team that could contend. New is no stranger but at 61 points and only a +12 GD they almost look human by comparison. Poor Toronto barely looks like it belongs here, GD of +1 and 56 points is pretty strong but they will need to pull off a lot of work and ride their under dog status here. With two teams left and a LOT of teams above .500 so far covered I am worried about what i'll see. West Kendal....oof. 40 points and a -44 GD is HARSH talk about bodied to be honest. Minnesota, 9 whole wins and only 22 points. only 11 of their 50 games could have possibly seen them score more than 1 goal per and it isn't unreasonable to suspect that they were shut out often. I have NEVER seen a team so bad with my own two eyes. I am curious to see who lead them in scoring. Oh yeah, Hammy, Manhattan are my big picks from the east and New is a major Dark Horse too.

Top 5 in Goals
Carter O'Callahan ( Wolfpack ) Had 33
Joe McKeil ( Steelhawks ) rocked a solid 30
Benjamin Wong ( Rage ) Slapped in 27
Adam Kylrad ( Stars ) had 26
Chris McZehrl ( Riot ) was stuck at 23

Top 5 in Points
Carter O'Callahan ( Wolfpack ) was a clear sniper going 33-30 for 63 points, not bad for a low ish scoring league.
Chris McZehrl ( Riot ) wouldn't be outdone going 23-39 for 62 points
Joe McKeil ( Steelhawks ) had a balanced, two way offence going 30-31 for 61 points
Adam Kylrad ( Stars ) rounds us out with 4 60 point players going 26-34 for 60 on the dot
Tom Sawyer ( Stars ) joins the board going 21-32 for 53 points

Other fun stats
Carter O'Callahan ( Wolfpack ) Won the Turd Ferguson with 117 points while leading the league too, how many more count he have had if he didn't lose 2+ minutes per game?
Chuck Weird ( Wolfpack ) lived up to his name blocking 80 shots.
Zallerras Szlerchek ( Platoon ) was your rookie leader going 16-19 for 35 points.
Carter O'Callahan ( Wolfpack ) also had 238 hits
Kyle Keenan ( Blizzard ) had 7 fights with 3 wins however was not in the top 10 in PIMS
Lauris Prikulis ( Jets ) had the best SV% with a .917 but a GAA of only 2.27
Similarly Edwin Ask ( Steelhawks ) has a GAA of 2.12 but a SV% of only .904 however both had 7 shutouts.
Niklas Stryker lead the Chiefs in scoring going 18-13 for 31 points showing how bad they were doing.

Playoff time round 1
Jets VS Dragons Jets win in 7
Panthers VS Riot Riot win in 6
Steelhawks VS Stars Steelhawks win in 6
Rage VS Wolfpack Rage win in 5

Jets and Dragons seem almost like a massive rivalry as the two franchises regularly meet in round 1. Winnipeg took game 1 4-3 in regulation. Game Day Links are dead for me sadly but oh well. Calgary tied it up winning game 2 5-2. Game 3 should have been a turning point as the Jets shot down the Dragons 7-3 but in game 4 it was Calgary nabbing the 5-2 win to even things out. Jets took game 5 in overtime 4-3 and I wish I could tell you who won it for them. Game 6 and the Dragons cannot afford to lose it only took 60 mins for them to get the 3-2 decision. Game 7 End all be all what is it going to be? 2-1 in overtime for the Winnipeg Jets who seemed to struggle with the Dragons throughout this series.

Panthers and Riot up next and Game 1 was set in sunny LA a tight defensive game ensued as the Los Angeles Panthers took home a 2-1 win in regulation. What is it with LA teams and low scoring games in hockey? Game 2 and its wild, each team would score 4 but we would need overtime before Seattle to take a series split back home. We move north to Seattle and the whole city is abuzz with caffeine. Must have kept the Riot buzzing too because they got the 5-4 win in regulation this time. Game 4 and home ice is the Riot's so far but there is a lot of hockey left so far. Both teams clamp it down but Seattle manages to get the only goal of the game for that 1-0 win at home and a firm 3-1 series lead. Game 5 is as usual the pinnacle of importance as the Panthers need a win to stay in this one. Offence abounds as each score 3 before LA gets the go ahead goal, taking it in regulation. Game 6 is back in Seattle and the Panthers are not out of the woods yet. they are 0 for 2 in hippy land but are a respectable 2-1 on home ice, if they can steal this one then they could have the advantage going into game 7. another close game as each nab 3 goals before the inevitable Riot score that 4th to take the series in 6.

On to the east as the Hamilton Steelhawks take on arch rivals Toronto North Stars. Game 1 in Hamilton and this one got out wild as both sides ran up to 4 but neither could get the edge and head into overtime. This battle of wills was eventually one by Hammy 5-4. Game 2 and it was still a scorer's delight as Toronto would come out to stomp the Steelhawks 6-4 tying this baby up. Game 3 is over in Toronto who has home ice advantage right now. a back and forth game ensued but it was the North Stars, those plucky North Stars, getting a 3-2 win and leading the series 2-1 over the Titan of a team in Hammy. Game 4 and the Steelhawks need to take it in order to both avoid going down 3 games to 1 AND take back home ice advantage. They'd get the routine in place and walk home with a 3-1 win as the offense slows down for the North Stars, tying her up at 2-2. Game 5 is pivotal, especially when this is a 3 game series where each need 2 wins. It felt closer than it looked but the offence dried up for Toronto as the Steelhawks take it 2-0. Game 6 would see Edwin Ask ( Steelhawks ) post his second shutout as Toronto just couldn't go the distance, losing 2-0 again.

Finally Its wolves verses bulls as the Rage take on New England. Game 1 takes us to New York City as we are treated to the Rage roaring around and nabbing a 3-1 win, showing their dominance. Game 2 and already behind the Wolfpack come out with a plan that almost gets them victory, but Manhattan stood tall to nab the 4-3 win at home. Game 3 over in New England and the Wolfpack need a win to show some kind of confidence. Getting it 3-2 on home ice is a great way to start and could be a turning point. It would only take one game however, for the Rage to figure out the Pack's game plan and thwart them. Urijah Winnfield ( Rage ) would shut the door as the Rage would pick up a crushing 3-0 victory and grab the series by the.....throat 3-1. Back in bustling New York for game 5 and its the Rage imposing their will, winning 3-1. Nothing flashy in this series just some good, hard nosed hockey.

Round 2 FIGHT!
Jets VS Riot Jets win in 5
Steelhawks VS Rage Steelhawks win in 6

Conference finals are here, time to find out whos going to the cup and whos gonna learn to golf. First up, the West.

Its Winnipeg and Seattle, its game 1, it starts now. Seattle is gamey but the Jets are not afraid of such games as they take the first one 6-5 in regulation. Game 2 is also in frigid Winnipeg as the Riot could use a win to knot things up early. However the Jets took off and never let up, grabbing that 4-1 win and cementing their home ice advantage and a 2-0 series lead heading out west. A tight checking, low scoring affair as the Riot are in defensive mode but it grounds the Jets as they walk into overtime tied at 1. A legend helps the Riot take it 2-1 in ot and breathe some life into this series for them. Game 4 the jets walk into a fight and manage to steal a 2-1 win leading the series 3-1 and killing the momentum. Stop me if you have heard this one before. Team loses both on the road, nabs one at home, only to see them walk into their first elimination game back on the road where they have yet to win in this series? Yep its game 5 in Winnipeg and the Riot never let the Jets fly away with it but 4-2 for the Jets all the same, and the series says 4 games to 1 baby.

Over in the East its Blue Collar Hamilton taking on White Collar New Y...I mean Manhattan. Game 1 is home in Hamilton as we get set for the top two teams to get it on. Rage and Steelhawks, two apex teams of the east and two titans of their season so far play out a close one but it is Manhattan getting the 4-3 win on the road. Game 2 here we go, its back and forth for sure but this time the Steelhawks refuse to be denied winning 5-3 and evening things up at 1s. Game 3 is in Manhattan as the Rage look to hold onto home ice advantage against the preying Steelhawks. showing them up with their own 5-3 win is a great way to do just that and take a 2-1 series lead while they are at it. Game 4, for the Rage it means pushing Hamilton to the brink, for the Steelhawks its about tying it up. Edwin Ask ( Steelhawks ) would nab his 3rd shutout of the playoffs as Hammy storms to a 4-0 win to send things back for game 5 in Hamilton. Game 5 comeith and it is as important as always. That 4-0 win though, it was really a turning point as the Steelhawks had their way with the Rage winning 5-2 before jetting off to Manhattan looking to end it all. Game 6 is do or die for the Rage and the Stealhawks cannot wait. Its yet another good, close game Hammy fights it out and takes the win, and series 4-2.

Challenge Cup Final
Steelhawks VS Jets Jets win in 6

Its the Challenge cup and both teams finished 1st in their conference. Its the Jets, and Steelhawks and game 1 starts right now. Game 1 is in Hammy as these two Canadian rivals take their short trips between cities. Jets take it 4-1 as their travel has been light the last couple of days. Game 2 and Hammy has been here before, needing to tie it up. Tight checking with timely goals as the Steelhawks take the 3-2 win and head to Winnipeg to try to keep her going. Both teams duke it out hard in a game neither team was willing to give away. Ultimately Its the Jets taking it 2-1 in regulation and setting us up for a fun game 4. Game 4 and just like the last series, Hamilton will need the win to tie it up. Winnipeg cannot afford to let such a good team get away from them. This is championship hockey as both teams are playing it so tightly as we are tied 2-2 and go to overtime to try to solve it. Steelhawks have been great in ot, battle tested in their series' so far taking it 3-2 over all. Game 5 in this series now 3 games and each needs 2 more wins. Hamilton is the place, the Jets and the Steelhawks are the teams, this is it. After all that back and forth hockey this one is knotted at 3 going into extra time. The Jets would prove deceive, getting the 4-3 win and setting us up for game 6 in Winnipeg. Game 6, Hammy needs the win to have a shot at the cup, for the Jets, what better time to win it than at home. With the 2-1 lead as time winds down Hammy gets desperate and pulls the goalie, Jets nab the Empty net to set off the excitement bomb in the building as your CHAMPIONS ARE THE WINNIPEG JETS!

Top 5 in Gs babay
Mr. Feeny ( Jets ) had 10
Ivo Willems ( Steelhawks ) nabbed 9
Phil Schenn ( Rage ) potted 7
James Blaine ( Steelhawks ) also potted 7
Alexey Kovalenko ( Jets ) would bang in 6

Top 5 Points
Joe McKeil ( Steelhawks ) lead the way going 5-13 for 18 points
Maxim Horvat ( Jets ) was right behind him going 5-12 for 17
Mr. Feeny ( Jets ) was the man he fed, who went 10-6 for 16
Ivo Willems ( Steelhawks ), Vidrik Onoprienko ( Jets ), and Roman Schultz ( Steelhawks ) all had 15 points.

Other Fun Stats
Yousuf Scherbluk ( Rage ) had a FO% of 58.88, the best in the Playoffs
Tyler Hartman ( Stars ) had 4 points in 6 games as a rookie
Arthur Grosberg ( Rage ) and Alexey Kovalenko ( Jets ) had playoff hattys
Jareth Sto Helit ( Steelhawks ) brought the fight, getting into 5 and winning 3
Lauris Prikulis ( Jets ) came alive with a .923 SV% and a 2.28 GAA for the Jets

So in the end we had some breathtaking hockey and a rock solid style. Individual games seemed high scoring but the league on the whole seemed on the low end. Join me next time as the SHL enters it's 20th season.

Word Count is 3031 Graders. Have a good one.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

I always love reading these. Having a good history of the league makes the whole experience better

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

These historical reads should one day enter our leagues Smithsonian.

Another solid read. +1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria