Create Account

Forum tree

Hey, I'm not sure what the last suggestion from the box suggestion that has been implemented is, if there ever has been one, but will throw another idea out there.

So information management 101, having a lot of subfolders in your main folder is great for experienced users (steep learning curve, great when you got it) but terrible for new users. Having minimal subfolders in the main folder minimizes the number of decisions a new user needs to make so makes the site feel easier (easy to learn, more clicks though for everyone.)

Our forums have 50 forums available from the main page, + and addition 83 subforums which are accessible from the main page. That means new users see 133 links when they first load the site. Not including the navigation bar, side bar, and user panel at the top. That I think is some serious information overload. It's definitely convenient for experienced users who know the site well, cause it saves them click.

tldr: Main page has 133 links, overwhelming when you first join, but convenient if you've been here awhile

Most games, apps, websites etc.. have there information layed out more like a tree. There's a few options on the main page, and each thing you click leads to more options. Potential solution:

- Leave the team forums as they are, the banners and such add colour and design to the main page
  • Announcements
  • Discussion
    • SHL
    • General
  • Simulation Results
    • SHL
    • SMJHL
    • IIHF
  • Media
    • SHL
    • SMJHL
    • Post-Game Shows
  • Graphics
  • Player Development
    • Activity Checks
    • SHL PTs
    • SMJHL PTs
    • SHL Fantasy
  • Bank
  • Transactions
    • Drafts
    • Trades/Contracts
  • SHL Records
    • SHL Hall of Fame
    • SHL History
    • SMJHL History
  • IIHF

Essentially making every forum a subforum, and every group the forum. Everything I listed above would still only be one click from the main page. But reduces the number of links from 133 to 50.

I think most of those 133 links aren't used often enough to justify them cluttering the main page.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

I've been here for four years, so I definitely feel I'm part of the "convenient to have lots of links" group. Has anyone spoken to the new members to see how much of an issue it is? I don't recall it being so tough after a few days when I first joined, and there are so many people who are willing to help the newbies navigate, that I think it's not such a big issue. Willing to debate this tho, since making new members feel welcome should be a priority.

[Image: tempsnip.png]
[Image: image0.jpg?width=360&height=180]

10-26-2018, 12:15 AMgerarob Wrote: I've been here for four years, so I definitely feel I'm part of the "convenient to have lots of links" group. Has anyone spoken to the new members to see how much of an issue it is? I don't recall it being so tough after a few days when I first joined, and there are so many people who are willing to help the newbies navigate, that I think it's not such a big issue. Willing to debate this tho, since making new members feel welcome should be a priority.

I don't have much evidence to support it's hard for rookies. I polled my friends who joined and left, and one thing that came up and seemed fixable was that the front page was a bit of an information overload.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

10-26-2018, 01:23 PMKing Wrote:
10-26-2018, 12:15 AMgerarob Wrote: I've been here for four years, so I definitely feel I'm part of the "convenient to have lots of links" group. Has anyone spoken to the new members to see how much of an issue it is? I don't recall it being so tough after a few days when I first joined, and there are so many people who are willing to help the newbies navigate, that I think it's not such a big issue. Willing to debate this tho, since making new members feel welcome should be a priority.

I don't have much evidence to support it's hard for rookies. I polled my friends who joined and left, and one thing that came up and seemed fixable was that the front page was a bit of an information overload.

Ya, that's definitely something that confused me when I started. But like I said, I feel like there's so much help available that if they really wanted to stay, it should have been fine.

Maybe removing some links is possible? I'm just not thrilled about the "bare bones" approach you had. Maybe just trimming some of the fat some places.

[Image: tempsnip.png]
[Image: image0.jpg?width=360&height=180]

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2018, 09:44 AM by hhh81.)

As a new user, I've actually been thinking about exactly this. I'm getting along decently well, but I think a restructuring/decluttering might be really beneficial in general.

For example, I have no idea where to find just a simple, clean page showing full, (accurate), past standings or current league standings. I find bits and pieces, but nothing complete and consistent. This would make it easier for me writing stuff if there were clear, clean, and up-to-date team histories. I also (just now) found where I'd find the most updated current season standings, which is going to be super helpful

So I guess... there's definitely a learning curve, and overly inquisitive people like me don't always want to ask ALL the questions we have (it's a lot). In general, I think some restructuring of the forum would be helpful.

EDIT: Now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of team/individual stats. Thanks, comrades. There goes my Saturday.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]