Create Account

S44 PT #4 - Definitive Suggestion Box

SHL Expansion

We have in Moment around 16 players with an active status or inactive over 500 TPE per team. But we also have an incredible number of 5,64 send downs per team. With 16 Teams (2 Expansion Teams) we would have around 14 players they are active or over 500 TPE. We would still have nearly 5 send downs per team (4,94). With the new situation the SMJHL would be so full and the newbies would get better spots in the two top lines. All in all I believe I was be able to show all in the SHL why I preach for an expansion. With the new rookies … the number goes up to 16 players + 8 send downs per team (if next season all send downs would stay as send downs). This would be with still 14 Teams. With 16 Teams it would be still 14 players + 7 send downs per team. Small remember that we need just 16 active or useable players on the roster and the other 4 player can be 155 TPE inactives. In that case I dont know what I should show the league forward in comparison to this hard work over the last days.

In the End I would love to show you some Expansion rules what should show you that no team will have an disadvantage at all. and this rules are based on the activity now in comparison to the former expansions!
- at first the two expansion teams would get from any team just one player and that makes 2 per team.
- each team can save a total number of 8 Players in their choice. (5 forwards + 2 Defender + 1 Goalie OR 4 Forwards + 4 Defender OR 3 Forwards + 4 Defender + 1 Goalie OR 8 Prospects AND SO ON)
- each Expansion Team can also do a trade with any team for not taking a player for one ore more picks!!!
- the existing Teams also can do those offers to the two Expansion Teams!
- for the Expansion-Draft we will have one winner the rest of the draft will be in the Snake Drafting Style
- the new Expansion Teams can talk to all not saved players to make sure to not picking an player who never wanted to go to an new expansion team.
- the player who should be locked by each existing Team must be decided one week before the Expansion Draft starts
- one week the new Expansion GMs can talk to the not locked (saved) players to make sure who would like to enter the new Expansion Team and who not.
- If the HO see that the existing SHL Teams try to cheat ... like we save the players with unsure thinking about Expansion Draft or stay on the current team and them they wont leave the team for 100% will not be saved ... they will get punishments.
- with the last term you must make sure that no one who want to stay will be available ... that means players they would like to leave or being in the pickable pool must be unsaved
- if all would like to be in that Expansion Players Pool then you can save who you want as GM.
- The GM players are auto-saved so that means if the Team has an GM and Co-GM then they are already count 2 of 8.
- if the Expansion Draft will be before the Free Agency start ... the Expansion Team can talk about extension before they must take an pending Free Agent
- if they come to terms about a deal then they will be locked after picked by an Expansion Team (if both want the pending FA)
- if just one team want this pending FA then this player will be auto-selected to the team
- all pending FAs who would like to go to an Expansion team, also will extend ... the talks must be forwarded to the HO to make sure if both Expansion Team want this pending FA or just one of them.
- if the Expansion Draft will be before the Rookie Draft then the picks for the expansion teams will be between playoff teams and non playoff teams that means 7th and 8th OVA (the winner of the 1st OVA Expanion Draft Pick will have the later Rookie Draft Pick)

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

- A 2nd Defenceman Award

Why not have 20 awards so everyone gets something! Participation medals for all! No, there is 1 best defenseman, if you think a defensive defender deserves it, vote for them

- SHL Expansion

I used to think that Season 50 would be the ideal time to do this, but possibly it may need to come sooner. As long as its a little more thought out this time and not just thrown in as a whim

- New way to view the SIM results

I don't know what this means, what are you going to do, send a presidential text alert with the daily results?

- Restructuring of the archetet types (player builds)

The word is 'archetype'

- A Higher TPE Cap in the SMJHL

Fuck no, it's hard enough as a rookie already, and you can be a SHL player at 350 TPE, if you want to spend 5 seasons in juniors cuz you're a coward who can't handle being a 3rd/4th liner and working your way up, too bad for you, stay at 350

- Sponsorships

Dumb

- Media changes

It's an online forum, there's only so much you can do, but sure, allow for some creativity, but let's not start handing out 10 million SHL dollars for every rehashed article that comes out

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

SMJHL Cap Changes.

I think that the cap for the SMJHL should be raised. However, I think that it should only be raised for Goaltenders. Every season we see capped goalies, who are unplayable because the sim has determined that it is their season to suck as a capped goalie. My first go around, we had a capped goalie, who ended up being the worst goalie in the league. My second go around, we have a capped goalie, who isn't playing up to the standards that you would expect out of a player that is capped. Then you look around the league and you see 155 TPE Robot goalies playing out of their minds, carrying a team to the playoffs. Sometimes you need to take a step back and just say that ain't right. A capped goalie every day of the week should be better than a 155 Robot. Either something is wrong with the sim(whole other issue) or goalie is a position where the 350 cap doesn't give them any advantage over Robots, and if that is the case, I could see an issue arise where a player gets discouraged and leaves the league because of how bad his capped goalie in Juniors is. The issue gets magnified because goalies do not have the options that other players have in terms of playing time. Success in juniors could keep those goalies that are roadblocked more active.

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]

I believe it is time to consider expansion of the SHL and bring in a new team to the league. The league has been growing at an impressive rate for a long time and have been getting more users and than losing by a lot as well. The new expansion team would bring in many new things. Some benefits are more users getting more play time, which makes everyone happier. It also allows for new users to get management jobs and let them be a part of the top group of the SHL, which is a great thing. Another good thing is the new salary cap room available around the league. The league will have more total cap space, allowing bigger contracts to be given out to more players and helping new users get more money early on. A final benefit would be the hype and excitement of adding a new team would bring to the league. It would make many users excited and it would be fun for everyone.

[Image: 55708_s.gif]

First Ever SHL Goal:
Code:
5. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 1 (Piotr Czerkawski 1, Cameron Dubois 2) at 16:27

First Ever Hat Trick:
Code:
S45 Game 46 NEW vs TOR
6. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 1 (Artemi Berezin 3, Tigole Bitties 5) at 5:21
9. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 2 (Artemi Berezin 4) at 18:58
10. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 3 (Tigole Bitties 7, Manuel Gotze 2) at 19:38 (Empty Net)

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

There are a lot of ideas on this list that I think would be interesting here, however, I think the most important one for the league is related to the SMJHL TPE Cap. I do not know how the 350 TPE cap came to be, but it has existed for as long as I have been in the league. Here are some reasons why it should be changed:
First, currently the 350 cap allows many inactives to have great success over players that are quite active in the league but early on in their careers. Many people are able to hit the 350 mark or closer before they lose interest in the site and disappear and then be a star in the SMJHL. We should strive to make sure we have our active players succeeding, especially in the minors.

Secondly, we spend a lot of time focusing on recruiting new players to this league and they come here excited to see their player improve and grind out TPE but then they hit the 350 wall where it is really easy to lose interest and simply disappear. If you spend a decent amount of time in the minors you could easily have three months where you’re banking TPE and not improving your player in a visible way at all…this is not an enjoying process for any user, but especially a first generation player that we should work hard to keep around. If we raised the cap at all, it would make it more interesting for first generations who are spending a proper amount of time in the minors so they can transition to the SHL and be a solid player there immediately.

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]

I think a higher TPE cap in the SMJHL would be an interesting thing to explore. Currently, a lot of players max out after one season and then start banking points for a long time before they get called up to the SHL for good. Applying points to your player's build is a really fun aspect of the site that kind of disappears for a season or two for a lot of people. It also feels like being a long-time SHL player is represented by your player stagnating, and sometimes not even being noticeably better than players in the 250-300 TPE range in some cases. Allowing more room for TPE growth before capping would make players in their 3rd or 4th junior seasons feel more dominant, just like you would expect in real life junior hockey.

Perhaps a system where a player gets to uncap a certain amount of TPE in their final season of junior is a compromise? Obviously plans for callups aren't always set in stone a season in advance so it might take some ironing out, but it would be nice if having a 3-4 season junior player didn't feel so stagnant.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM by luke.)

Smjhl Cap
So I think my experience as a SMJHL co for a season and still learning about the SMJHL history it has given me some insight on the cap. Now this may seem a little harsh but I believe the Cap should remain the same, and I’ll give you why

The Cap was put into place because it allows the Rookies to still participate in the sim without getting them bored. I know what it means to be on the 4th line playing 10 minutes, it’s not extremely fun seeing my player put 12 points in a season, it discourages younger players already when you have a depth team. Raising the cap only allows more people to stay down longer. The whole idea of the SMJHL is to get rookies to the shl levels and then work your way up the depth chart. Unlike the NHL, 90% of the time you aren’t going to be on the top 2 lines playing top minutes when you start. A better option is expansion so it allows more people to come up at around 350-450 tpe and still contribute. Of course you are still going to have people opting to be in the SMJHL a season or 2 longer because they are tearing it up.  

Raising the cap only creates more problems and keeps people in the smjhl which was not the purpose of the smjhl in the first place, it is meant to be a stepping point into the shl.

Shl expansion

In order to get people into the shl quicker is to expand, allow people to get more playing time all around as well as have people in 350-450 range still be alright in the sim, as they will face more people with the same tpe range. I think next season would be a good season to implement it as we got a good bump from the past reddit and 2 seasons. We had decent amount of first gens that have came through along with the recreates who have came back  

Sponsorships
Good idea, gives people something more to look towards to and a little boost in money

Media Changes
This is always tricky, because there is a balance to weed out between the high level tpe players and medium tpe levels is equipment bought. Now with the media right now I think if we want to make it easier to make money, then raising the boost in which people grade stuff. 100k per 100 words is great, because in an hour with the format I use, I can write 2-5k words depending on how busy I am. But I think rewarding more creative articles would make people want to write more.

Now some things Izzy didn’t put. I have a couple more ideas.

SHL discord
The shl discord needs a makeover, if we push the discord we could make it easier for new people(along with the rookie discord) have a person to manage the server including putting roles for people(teams, jobs, etc) so people know who to contact. A page with useful links like bojo box, pt pages, and other useful links

Rookie discord
I also thing a page with helpful links would help people get use to the site, the rookie mentors are also very helpful, but there could be a couple things to help tweak

Retiring subforums that don’t do anything anymore
There are a lot of subforums on the site that don’t get used that we can retire it

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=65987 not used forum

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=58067 - needs an update. I’d say also have this as a link in Create a Player, because some people might just go to create a player on the navigation bar.

http://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23 - this needs an update or phase it out.  If we want to update it, there is a lot of old links that need to get updated and stuff

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=43037 - I really like this concept. I think we can bring this into discord as a standard in every Rookie discord, and even offer it to the SMJHL team discords. Just to have a compiled links of everything that a rookie might need/they dont need to dig through subforums to get to. Like training/equipment.

So yeah, I think I wrote a little bit more than 150 words

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

While I liked several of the choices (especially the second defenseman award), the suggestion I am going to focus on is implementing a higher TPE cap in the SMJHL. Rather than expanding the SHL, I think we should focus on making the SMJHL more engaging. Sometimes a player is kept in the SMJHL for several seasons, but it’s possible to max out your TPE in the first season. From then on, you can only bank your TPE. That takes a lot of the fun out of the SMJHL. In the SHL there are players of several skill levels, so there is real progression… but also a huge mismatch. The SMJHL on the other hand has everyone being almost the same. I’d like to see it be more common for players to spend 3-4 seasons in the SMJHL before moving up to the SHL. That way, it will smooth out the skill disparity in the SHL between the best and the worst, and make the SMJHL more competitive and exciting.

Words: 169

[Image: WuRZxKN.png]
Player Twitter
Kryyst: Player Page | Update Page
Stinson:Player Page

Higher SMJHL TPE Cap

The SMJHL is a highly competitive way to encourage new members, or members trying out a build, to hone their skills while they await their call to the show. However, by capping the TPE limit at 350, members may lose some interest in the league. Once you max out, all you are doing is collecting TPE. Now, the moment you get to unleash you hoard of TPE on your build is pretty sweet, you may find players more consistently engaged while they await their call up if they are still able to continue building their player. Maybe a cap of 500? 500 TPE is quite the milestone to hit and will most likely match up with a player's time of call up. A higher limit also allows players to continue to feel out their build before they make their jump, instead of committing to throwing a large amount of TPE and having their player not work out they way they had envisioned.

[Image: 46ecRW0.gif]

[Image: 5cVzKxa.png][Image: gs89eGV.png][Image: LWLEHdF.png]

11-19-2018, 08:58 AMbluesfan55 Wrote: SHL Expansion: Why We Need More SHL Teams

Hamilton is a bit of a weird city for a SHL team

Don't you dare insult Hamilton like that

[Image: giphy.gif]

Rather than having a higher TPE cap for the SMJHL, I think there should be an elevator based on how many seasons you've spent in the SMJHL. So rather than just having a flat cap, my idea is this.

1st season - 300 TPE cap
2nd season - 350 TPE cap
3rd season - 400 TPE cap
4th season - 450 TPE cap
5th season - 450 TPE cap

When you look at real life, the players that have spent more time in juniors are always the ones that are near the tops of the leader boards for points. The big plus for this in my opinion is that it causes people to have incentive to continue earning TPE beyond their cap each season. Several times over we've seen players stop earning at 350 TPE and then go inactive. This would help push players toward becoming SHLers while seeing rewards immediately for improving their player. One flaw I can see with this is that it may cause some players to spend more time in the SMJHL than they need to, so the scale for season caps could be adjusted based on what the head office believes is best, but I think a scale based on time spent in the SMJHL would help player retention a lot.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

SHL Expansion

I think with this people forget that the league can grow to be as big as we want it to be in theory. But how far do we want to go? Like if we could pick the number of teams and 100% garuntee that every team fills out, we wouldn't have 1000 teams. Would we cap at 31 like the NHL? 32 to make it even? Do we want a more intimate league with say half that? 16? I think saying we need expansion is fine, and I agree that we have more active players than we have room (I want to make that abundantly clear that I do think we have enough actives to warrant more teams). But we need to know how far we want to go. Cause say that number is 16. Then eventually we'll get to a point again where we'll have more actives than we have roster spots, and we just have to let it be and accept people will leave.

That question aside. I think the league is ready for 16 teams and 4 in the playoffs 4 out in each conference works. Or could add a layer of excitement by going 3 in then 4-5 have a 3 game wildcard series to make it, so 5 have a shot and 3 don't. An SHL team can hold AT MOST nine active forwards, six active defencmen and an active goalie, thats 16 players. 16*14 = 224. We can hold 224 actives in the SHL. The SMJHL you don't want to be a 3rd liner or a 3rd pairing guy, 11*8 = 88. So overall if everything was evenly spaced out we could have 312 active users, assuming that 1/3 of the league is okay being on the third line or third pairing. How ever you cut it we need to grow to 16 teams if we don't want people to get bored and leave.

I think the expansion rules should be made clear a season in advance and all GM's know so nobody is screwed or blind sided by it. And Philadelphia or Chicago should get teams tbh. Or Montreal or Vancouver should move up to the SHL and new SMJHL teams replace them.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

The SMJHL TPE cap needs to be bumped, the SHL franchises are too good now to bring anyone with 350 TPE to the SHL, because of this the players are stuck in a spot where all they can do is out in a crazy amount of work into the site, getting TPE that has to be banked until the team that drafted them has a spot ready for them. Here is the problem, with these sites people want to see a result of their activity and once an SMJHL player hits 350 TPE they don't see that result, this can cause some of them to become less active because although their efforts will later pay off, they don't help the current situation. I understand wanting to keep the SMJHL in a lower skill level than the SHL but you don't even need a cap to do that, no GM is going to bring up a 500 TPE guy when a 700 guy is there. The skill gap will come naturally, not saying we dont need an SMJHL cap, cause its not a bad idea, but if you get drafted by a powerhouse team you can be earning TPE for 3-4 sometimes 5 seasons without being able to improve your player in the SMJHL, if you bump that cap of 350 to maybe 450-500, you cut that dead period of banked TPE to likely 1-2 seasons based on a 100 TPE season and a 600-700 SHL call up point. Being able to constantly improve your player with as little dormant time as possible will raise the activity of the SMJHL. Not only will it affect the SMJHL, but once players get into the SHL, they can make an instant impact with their SHL club. There is nothing more discouraging than checking the sim every day to see a 0-0-0 -3 6shot statline. Eventually people get tired of seeing that and stop checking the index and stop getting TPE cause whats the point. Success is a 10X more effective motivating tool than failure for so many people, if they're seeing decent results right out of the SMJHL they will be more motivated to get even better. This can open the SHL up to a whole new level of elite players earning more TPE than ever.

[Image: nasty.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 10:46 PM by Rich.)

Restructuring player archetypes.

All of the thinking I’ve done on balancing and refining the player archetypes has revolved around forwards, since that is what I am most familiar with. I approach this, largely, as a way to balance the other forward builds against the power forward build, but also as an opportunity to more clearly define each archetype. I think working towards a balance between archetypes will possibly create a greater degree of build diversity, with the understanding that players will still gravitate towards the most optimal player builds. I'd rather we didn't force every build to take a primary decision maker as a weakness as an easy way of trying to force diversity. I also ignore the enforcer build, because I don’t think it should be balanced, because of the role it serves.

Right now, there isn’t really any downside to taking a more offensive forward, or a two-way forward. I also think that the existence of the offensive forward build in it’s current state makes the sniper and playmaker builds redundant, so we need to do something to make them more unique.

The first thing I’m going to do for balance is to tweak the defense attribute for each build. The only build that may take defense as a strength will now be two-way forward. It will remain a compulsory selection, but they will be limited to maximum of 95 defense. Sniper, playmaker, and offensive forward will be limited to a max of 85. Power forward will remain the same, but like the others, no longer able to take it as a strength.

Next, I would like to change which strengths can be selected by each build. Sniper and playmaker remain the same, but with the change above of not being able to select defense. In an effort to make offensive forward more interesting, and to remove redundancy, we allow offensive forwards to select 4 strengths, each of which can reach a maximum of 95 instead of 99. I think you could probably allow them to take 1 or 2 to 97 and the remaining to 95, to allow them to specialize a bit, but I'm not sure which would be better. They may choose between scoring, skating, passing, puck handling, endurance, strength, and face offs. Power forwards remain the same, but with the exclusion of defense as a choice. Two-way forwards retain defense as a choice but are no longer required to take either scoring or passing. Their remaining two strength selections can be scoring, skating, passing, puck handling, endurance, strength, and face offs.

Lastly, we will tweak some weakness selections. I’m not certain what would be a good way to go with weaknesses. My initial thought would be to limit sniper, playmaker, and offensive forward to a checking weakness only. Power forward keeps the same weakness options. Two-way forward must take one of scoring, skating, or passing.

Here is what my revised forward templates would look like.

Code:
Player Type: Sniper
Strengths: Scoring, Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice (No passing or defense)
Weakness: Choose one of Checking

CK = Checking: 40
FG = Fighting: 25
DI = Discipline: 62
SK = Skating: 40
ST = Strength: 40
EN = Endurance: 40
DU = Durability: 50 (do not add TPE  here, injuries are turned off)
PH = Puck Handling: 40
FO = Face Offs: 40
PA = Passing: 40
SC = Scoring: 40
DF = Defense: 40 (Max 85)

Code:
Player Type: Playmaker
Strengths: Passing, Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice (No Scoring or defense)

DU = Durability: 50 (do not add TPE here, injuries are turned off)

Code:
Player Type: Offensive Forward
Strengths: Choose 4 of: Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice (Max of 95 instead of 99, No defense)

Code:
Player Type: Two-Way Forward
Strengths: Defense (Max 95), Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice
Weakness: One of Passing/Scoring/Skating

DF = Defense: 40 (Max 95)

Code:
Player Type: Power Forward
Strengths: Checking/Strength, Attribute of Your Choice, Attribute of Your Choice (No defense)
Weakness: One of Passing/Scoring/Skating/Puck Handling

DF = Defense: 40 (Max 90)

Most of this is unrealistic. It would take a lot more input from some of the very experienced STHS minds we have in the league, and a ton of testing to properly balance, and even then, I think it over complicates something that isn't a big problem. This just a quick take on something that could be tried to better balance the forwards. I like the idea of a world where the only build that can get 99 defense is the defensive defenseman. I don’t feel confident in my understanding of the defense builds to take a crack at those archetypes.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

Something that I would be excited to see added to the SHL would be a second award for defensemen. More specifically, I would enjoy seeing an award given to the defensemen with the most shot blocks in a season. One of my favorite stats in the league, I feel that shot blocks show the true dedication to the team, willing to put their body on the line to prevent a shot from getting through to the goalie. As far as the naming of the award, two names come to mind for me. The obvious choice would be Alonzo Garbanzo, who is number one in career shots blocks, with the second closest being a bit shy of 500 blocks away. My second choice would be Mattias Holmberg, the current record holder for most shot blocks in a season. If you compare Holmberg to Garbanzo, with Holmberg averaging 74.3 shots blocked per season and Garbazno averaging 78.6 shots blocked per season. If Holmberg were to play for 23 seasons, he would have still been 100 shot blocks off where Garbanzo finished. Anyways, I think brining in another defensive award would give defense something to shoot for, that doesn't involve being the defensemen with the most points at the end of the season or however they hand it out.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page