Create Account

Athletic Denver: Darrow mum on reduced role

Darrow mum on reduced role
Harry Hemmert, Athletic Denver

Cassius Darrow is one of the great surprises of this SMJHL season. After being a virtual unknown coming out of Germany’s developmental leagues, the young defender rose to a first round SMJHL pick and is already having some prognosticators paint him as a top five SHL pick.

Darrow started his SMJHL career on a frenzied pace, recording five assists in his first five games, alongside a +4 rating and 10 blocked shots. Over the next six games, he cooled off immensely, failing to record a single point, only 8 blocked shots, and a -3 rating. In the next eight games, the Raptors went 3-5, and Darrow recorded 2-5-7, +1, and 9 blocked shots. His first two goals were both scored on the powerplay, and his first ever career goal versus Montreal, was the game winner.

“[Scoring my first goal] was very exciting,” Darrow said with a smile. “The powerplay was getting some chances, but we’d had trouble converting. It was good to break the tie versus Montreal.”

Since then, Darrow has scored one goal and six points in 15 games. He also has a -2 rating and only 15 blocked shots. Most concerning, however, is the lineup shuffle that took place over the last 10 games. GMs @39alaska39 and @Good_Ole_Kimmy shifted their game plan, breaking up the Cold Pizza line and shuffling their even strength and special teams lineups. While the Raptors are 6-4 over this stretch, fans have seen a significant drop in the amount of Cassius Darrow on the ice. Through his first 24 SMJHL games, Darrow played less than 20 minutes only once. Since the lineup shuffle, Darrow has played 20 or more minutes only twice, and is averaging only 18:32 minutes per game. Those two games sandwiched a dominant performance in Game 113 versus Vancouver, where Darrow had an assist, a +3 rating, two blocks, and the game-winning goal for Colorado in just 19:16. The goal was his third of the season and second game winner, showing a propensity for big plays when it matters most.

“We are aware of Cassius’ reduced role,” Darrow’s agent, Johnny Hamilton shared when asked for comment, “and I will speak with management about what his role should look like in the future, both this season and beyond. It is imperative my client be given every opportunity to showcase his skills for Colorado.”

When we reached out for comment from the player himself, Darrow was his usual taciturn self.

“The team is winning games, and we’re starting to get into a groove,” he said with a noncommittal shrug. “The coaches play who they play, and I will keep working hard in practice.

Much of his lost ice time comes from special teams. Fellow rookie forward Jakub Novak has taken on more time on the powerplay, while veteran defender Nico Wallner has seen a heavier workload on the penalty skill over the last few games. Earlier in the season, the German rookie filled many of those minutes for the Raptors. With the likely graduations to the SHL for top blueliners Kevin Maddox and Sachimo Zoidberg, Jr after this season, and the inconsistent play of the young Raptors through two-thirds of the season, one might think Alaska and Kimmy might emphasize the development of their likely heir apparent on defense. That doesn’t seem to be the priority right now.

The team is winning, holding their own against perennial powerhouses Vancouver and Detroit over the last several games. However, this journalist has to ask: will that continue without Cassius Darrow as a driving force?

---
601 words—also go Raptors, this is total parody. Raptors I love my GMs <3

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

This is fookin bullshit, I do my best for this team and organization and this is what I get in return. smh

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

Fookin eh

u suck

fookin eh

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]