Create Account

S50 - Rename some awards

I'd put it this way. If you include the WCHA, Bill Masterton played 4 seasons in the NHL. If you don't include the WCHA, Bill Masterton played one season in the NHL. They're not going to change the name of that trophy. Now, there are obviously other circumstances the led to Masterton having the trophy named after him (RIP Masterton you went too soon), but that doesn't mean we're going to change the award name to the Stan Bowman award now that he has spent more of his time dedicated to hockey.

I do understand though, I don't know who Scott Stevens was in SHL and I don't think I'll ever care to except because of the award. But I don't think that means we should change the award name.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

There have been some convincing arguments in this thread against renaming trophies, and I have to say I've reconsidered my own position on this.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

We should make an offensive defenseman award called the muller award imho

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

11-23-2018, 11:38 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'd put it this way. If you include the WCHA, Bill Masterton played 4 seasons in the NHL. If you don't include the WCHA, Bill Masterton played one season in the NHL. They're not going to change the name of that trophy. Now, there are obviously other circumstances the led to Masterton having the trophy named after him (RIP Masterton you went too soon), but that doesn't mean we're going to change the award name to the Stan Bowman award now that he has spent more of his time dedicated to hockey.

I do understand though, I don't know who Scott Stevens was in SHL and I don't think I'll ever care to except because of the award. But I don't think that means we should change the award name.

“Fun” fact: my pops was at the game masterton died at

Affiliate of:

11-23-2018, 07:12 PMartermis Wrote:
11-23-2018, 12:18 PMSleepy Wrote: Idk, I feel like renaming an award every so often just because someone has a groundbreaking player cheapens the legacy of all the people who won the award beforehand. I personally think it’s cool the award are named after some the oldest players that existed in the SHL. Nothing against the guys you suggested, I just don’t think this is something in the SHL that needs fixing right now

The problem is most awards were merely named after the first player to win it, so I'd argue naming them immediately as such is the problem, not the re-naming.

To contrast that, the naming of these awards was done to honor people instrumental in setting up the league. Mexico was the best player ever, yes, and I would still take him over anyone from our era of people who play forever.

However, names like Richan, McDonald, Karpotsov, Uppercut, Krever, Honcho, etc. They're the people who either created the league, were the first simmers to keep it going, were first head office members, were first to manage media or point tasks, etc. They are legitimately the reason this league still exists as without their personal commitment to keeping it going, it would've died in less than 5 seasons like the original SHL.

The Stevens is the only one that I could think could be renamed, and even then I know he played a part in the making of the SHL as well. I just don't remember his part as well.

If we choose not to honor those who gave us this now, what's even the point? I am 150% opposed to renaming awards.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

11-24-2018, 08:59 AMGrapehead Wrote: There have been some convincing arguments in this thread against renaming trophies, and I have to say I've reconsidered my own position on this.

Same

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

Very interesting reading this! Glad you guys decided to keep them the same. I definitely wasn't as instrumental as the simmers and leafs is amazing; but it's cool to have that honor as people have pointed out careers used to be pretty short and Stevens was top 5 in hits/shots blocked/+/- for 8 seasons that's not inconsistent.

Chisling I'd say was the better player later kinda the first one to take the hypothetical torch from Stevens. But awards sticking with their roots is more cool imo.

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

12-18-2018, 07:32 PMDaco Wrote: Very interesting reading this! Glad you guys decided to keep them the same. I definitely wasn't as instrumental as the simmers and leafs is amazing; but it's cool to have that honor as people have pointed out careers used to be pretty short and Stevens was top 5 in hits/shots blocked/+/- for 8 seasons that's not inconsistent.

Chisling I'd say was the better player later kinda the first one to take the hypothetical torch from Stevens. But awards sticking with their roots is more cool imo.

Woah wtf it's Stevens

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

12-18-2018, 07:40 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote:
12-18-2018, 07:32 PMDaco Wrote: Very interesting reading this! Glad you guys decided to keep them the same. I definitely wasn't as instrumental as the simmers and leafs is amazing; but it's cool to have that honor as people have pointed out careers used to be pretty short and Stevens was top 5 in hits/shots blocked/+/- for 8 seasons that's not inconsistent.

Woah wtf it's Stevens

woah wtf its jp the stupid idiot

Affiliate of:

12-18-2018, 07:43 PMkit Wrote:
12-18-2018, 07:40 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: Woah wtf it's Stevens

woah wtf its jp the stupid idiot

haha i hope u die

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

12-18-2018, 07:55 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote:
12-18-2018, 07:43 PMkit Wrote: woah wtf its jp the stupid idiot

haha i hope u die

Okay I can make that happen just 4 u

Affiliate of:

11-23-2018, 05:41 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote:
11-23-2018, 05:32 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: Ohhh right I remember that post now, thanks!

I love the Razov story so I love sharing it you're welcome haha

I'm probably not even doing it justice. I bet Leafs can remember that moment pretty dang well. I only heard of it. Plus I knew Bill off the forum (I was in an NHL 10 online team with him) so I caught wind of it before I even joined SHL

Can confirm....I joined the site back in the day the same season all this shit went down. Was a pretty ridiculous few days lol Bill wasn't exactly the biggest fan of mine and went out of his way to ban me if I remember correctly.