Create Account

Slip McScruff's Greatest Hits, Preseason Edition

Slip McScruff's Greatest Hits, Preseason Edition
by SD, for the Sim Herald

Hey folks, the IT nerds at the Sim Herald cooked up some analytics tools that let me explore player's stats for a whole season at a time.  That means that I can bring you brand new Slip content without actually talking to the idiot myself.  To start, I'll just be looking at the S44 SMJHL preseason since the regular season is still under way and because it will give me a good baseline to gauge Slip's improvement over the season.

Slip claims to bring a physical yet disciplined style to the ice, with a focus on Checking and Passing.  Since the tool is still pretty basic, we'll focus on his Checking in what I call Slip's Greatest Hits.  Before diving into some stats, the high level view is that Slip has a ton of room for improvement.  

He showed that he can dish some hits, making his opponent lose the puck on 48 of 64 hits, but he showed resoundingly that he can't perform on the other side of a hit, giving up the puck on 14 of the 15 hits he took.  He was out there like a wrecking ball causing chaos and opening up chances for his teammates to score, but clearly not doing much with the puck himself.  His stat line reflected this with a +12 goal differential, yet only notching 4 points total (all assists).  

Hit Stats:
Code:
1st: 15 strips on 22 hits
2nd: 21 strips on 27 hits
3rd: 12 strips on 15 hits

Of the 49 players hit, there were 13 repeat customers, but only 2 of those that came back for 3rds.  Pavel Pivonka (@Schultzy )and Takehiko Yukimura (@mantorune ) both took 3 hits, and only Yukimura managed to hold onto the puck one time.  To compare ratings, Slip had a Puck Handling of 61, Strength of 60, and Skating of 60.  Pivonka has a Puck Handling of 71 and a Skating of 74, so it's likely the Strength 50 that allowed Slip to strip.  Yukimura on the other hand was closer to Slip with a Puck Handling of 59 and Skating of 60, but the Strength of 40 likely allowed those first two strips.  Considering that the failed hit against Yukimura came in the 3rd period, it likely came down to Endurance.  While they are evenly matched with 60 Endurance, Slip averages a full 30% more ice time.

There is only 1 player who hunted Slip more than once, and that is Shaquille Derisraka (@Kevin Juice Bieksa ) who successfully stripped the puck both times.  Derisraka outclasses Slip in all relevant ratings with a Puck Handling of 65, Skating of 72, and Strength of 65, in addition to an Endurance of 65 with both hits happening over halfway through the game.  It's no surprise that both of these strips landed ass up for Slip.  On the other hand, the only player to not strip Slip with their hit was Oliver Kovacs (@KillTheArchitect ) who has a Puck Handling of 73, Skating of 75, and Strength of 65.  This hit also happened halfway through the first, so neither player should have been particularly tired.  Based on the rating comparison, it's safe to say that Slip's pure dumb luck is what saved him here.  Given Slip's mediocre rookie stats for this preseason, it's likely that all players hunting him down outclassed him in the relevant ratings, so Kovacs failed hit is just a matter of statistics.

I would be remiss not to mention the most important hit that Slip had all preseason.  Exactly halfway through the preseason, Slip's rival Ivar Ozols (@hornej10 ) of the Halifax Raiders dropped a massive hit resulting in a stripped puck.  However, nearly 20 games later, Slip returned with his own banger and stripped the puck back.  Given that Ivar is more of a shooter, this rivalry would be better tracked with blocked / allowed shots while they are matched up on the ice, but the tool does not currently support that.

What can we look for in the regular season?  Well, Slip has been working on his Skating and Puck Handling, but not so much his Strength and Endurance.  We should hope to see some dramatic improvement in his ability to hold onto the puck and maybe more hits in general from an improved ability to keep up with players, but his late game hits will continue to fall off until he trains up his Endurance.

As for the disciplined aspect of his game, he had the most PIMs on the Crows at 46.  Of the 23 penalties he took, 7 of them were either Holding or Tripping, which is generally caused by being outmatched by an opponent's Skating ability.  Slip completed the preseason with a 60 rating which is a contender for lowest Skating on most teams.  He's also twice as likely to get a penalty in the 3rd period than either the 1st or 2nd, which is a solid indication that he's struggling to complete his 12 minute ATOI.

Penalty Stats:
Code:
Total - 23
-----
High Sticking - 5
Roughing - 4
Holding - 4
Tripping - 3
Hooking - 3
Interference - 2
Cross-checking - 1
Slashing - 1
-----
1st Period - 6
2nd Period - 6
3rd Period - 11

What can we look for in the regular season? Well, as I said before, Slip has been working on his Skating and is on track to hit a much more average milestone of 70 by the end of the season, so we should hope to see less minutes coming from Holding and Tripping.  Between the increase in penalties and the drop off in hits late game, we shouldn't expect Slip to graduate beyond his average 12 minutes per game until he can turn this tired ship around.  This is apparently news to him as he hasn't focused on Endurance at all during the regular season, but maybe he can make something happen before the post season.

Currently, the tool can only analyse the condensed Play by Play which works great for Hits and Penalties, but not so great for some of the stats we'd really like to see from Slip's play style.  That is, we'll need to look into the full Play by Play to cook up stats around interceptions and zone clearing / taking.  Plus, we'll need some more advanced Play by Play analysis to link plays together and dive into his Shot Blocking.

That being said, if you have any hot leads on interesting stats to explore for specific players or games, please send them to me directly and we can work something out.  Some examples of previous analysis can be found here, here, and here.

SD

Code:
Word Count: ~1200

(For the curious, here are dumps of the Raw Hit Data and Raw Penalty Data)

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Excellent content Slip!