Create Account

Whalers Power McCarthy to Break Team Assist Record
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 03:46 PM by Inf1d3l.)

Whalers Power McCarthy to Break Team Assist Record

The Vancouver Whalers, hot off their Four Star Cup win in Season 43, have been on a hot streak again this season. The offense has been lightning fast and quick to make opponents pay for even ths slightest mistakes. One big factor on both sides of the puck this season has been second year player Barret McCarthy. A two-way defenseman, McCarthy has been solid on both sides of the puck, but his passing and playmaking ability this season has powered him into the record books.

With four games to go in the season, McCarthy has put up an impressive thirty-nine assists this season, breaking the Whalers single season record, and closing in on a SMJHL top-five record. So now, we’ll take a look back at this historic season so far, and wait to see what may come to pass as the regular season draws to a close.

First Assist of Season 44 – Game 5 Vs Anchorage Armada

Feeding Andrew Martin in this game was a good late goal to tie it up with thirty six seconds left in the game. This would put the game into overtime and eventually lead to a big overtime win for the Whalers early in the season.

First Multi Assist Night – Game 11 vs Halifax Raiders

McCarthy started setting the pace with his teammates, putting down a two point night, assisting Max Mauldin and Andy Kerr, helping the Whalers earn a hard fought 4-3 victory at home.

Three Point Night – Game 122 vs Colorado Raptors

McCarthy helped run up the score on a Colorado team, silencing the home crowd early, and powering the Whalers to a strong 6-3 win with three first-assists, feeding Max Mauldin, David Kastrba, and Noah Nowes who each put up a goal that evening.

Epic Five Assist Night – Game 130 vs Kelowna Knights

Kelowna came into the game hoping for a solid performance, but McCarthy, and the rest of the Whalers team, were on fire that night. Feeding on five of the eight goals scored that night, McCarthy was in the zone, and was reading plays before they happened, assisting Carlo Russo twice (whom also scored a hat trick that evening), Andrew Martin, David Kastrba, and Max Mauldin. A game like this threw McCarthy far into the lead on assists in the league and began his historic run.

Record Breaking Night – Game 176 Vs Montreal Militia

McCarthy came into the night with the record in mind. He’d had a few zero point games and hoped to turn it around this evening, and luck happened to be on his side. A strong 3 assist night pushed McCarthy into the Whaler record books, tallying up his 37th, 38th, and 39th assists of the year, helping the Whalers earn a big 5-3 win and powering Carlo Russo, Luke Thomason, and Trav Lizard each for one goal.

Interesting Stats:

Twelve of the thirty nine assists were scored on the Kelowna Knights, with another ten put up on the Colorado Raptors.

Max Mauldin was hungry, and was fed seven times for goals by McCarthy, and Noah Nowes was close behind, being in perfect position to score five times from Mccarthy.

Seventeen of the assists were first assists, where as the other twenty two were second assists, which leads me to believe that McCarthy can position himself in just a way to see the play develop and spearhead a goal directly or indirectly.

Twelve of the assists came on the powerplay, which is unsurprising figuring the Whalers incredible scoring ability this year.

In closing, and on behalf of myself, Barret McCarthy, I would like to say a huge thank you to my teammates and HO of the Vancouver Whalers, without which I would never be able to have achieved something so memorable, and hope that the chemistry and friendships here last for as long as we play the game of hockey

Go Whalers!

(680 words)

Go Whalers!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Impressive season! I look forward to playing with you in the SHL!

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

H I S T O R I C

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

11-26-2018, 06:39 PM39alaska39 Wrote: Impressive season! I look forward to playing with you in the SHL!

Im sure we'll make dangerous linemates