Create Account

Whalers add S45 SMJHL draft prospect for playoffs
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 06:19 PM by Gobbles.)

Author: Gobbles
Word count: 1046
First article bonus (x2)

The Vancouver Whalers made a last-minute addition on Wednesday, signing free agent and upcoming S45 SMJHL prospect Kalvins Zvejnieks to a one-year deal that enables him to play for the last game of the regular season with the Whalers, as well as any playoff games the Whalers will experience once again this season, as they have already clinched a playoff position.

Coming from the Canadian minor leagues, Zvejniks signed with the Whalers as soon as his previous team was finished with their playoff run, which ended with a championship title for the Latvian import. Having played in Canada from the last two years as a billet after leaving his hometown of Jelgava, the hope for both the Whalers and Zvejnieks is that he can have an excellent showing in the SMJHL before officially entering the S45 SMJHL draft.

Scouts that attended his minor league games were clearly impressed with Zvejnieks’ solid frame, standing at 6 foot 4 and exceeding 210 pounds as of his last measurement as a teenager. He has already shown he is unafraid of using his bulky frame, developing a reputation of imposing his will on opposing players and dominating the ice. His skating is fluid and he plays like he has the puck glued to his stick, always fighting to keep possession on his side and ensuring his team is the one getting all of the prime scoring chances. Unafraid to lay down in front of a shot or lay out an opponent, Zvejnieks projects to be an excellent defensive grinding forward, capable of eating minutes and relentlessly keeping the puck out of his own end, and keeping it hemmed in the offensive zone.

The current knock most scouts had on Kalvins Zvejnieks was his offensive capabilities. While he consistently led his minor league teams in scoring, both back in Latvia and in Canada, the eye test seems to indicate that this is due more to Zvejnieks’ physical and possession-driven dominance, not his silky smooth hands. There are questions as to whether his scoring will translate to the SMJHL immediately, as the competition becomes stronger and other big bodies inhabit the league.However, the centreman is the type of hockey specimen that isn’t wired to worry about putting up every point or looking good on the post-game scorebox. Zvejnieks just wants his team to win - every game, any way.

Overall, this seems like an excellent fit for both sides: Vancouver gets added depth to their 4th line with an already defensively-responsible forward who can step in immediately and eat up some grinding minutes, and Zvejnieks gets the opportunity to boost his draft stock for the SMJHL and gain valuable experience at the SMJHL level.

Another strength of the hulking Latvian is his proficiency for face-offs. Using his size and excellent leverage, he more often than not wins the draw, fiercely battling for each FO taken and using every opportunity to give his team the possession. An unyielding personality leads to a mentally tough player who doesn’t concede any inch of ice without a fight. Zvejnieks excels on the forecheck and any aggressive setup, as well as retrieving and carrying the puck out of his own end.

It was recently announced that this upcoming S45 SMJHL draft (and by extension, the S46 SHL draft), will be a specialty Reddit Draft, an event that leads to a large influx of talent and hopeful prospects. While Zvejnieks is one of only a few prospects currently committed to entering the draft, it is only a matter of time before the bulky pivot has plenty of competition - and according to the scouts, he wouldn’t have it any other way. The tenacious competitor thrives on comparing himself to others, and standing out from the crowd (literally as well as figuratively). It’s going to be a bigger draft than usual, and if Zvejnieks wants to go in the higher picks, he’s going to want an impressive showing for his new team.

“It’s a good feeling, knowing you get some experience before entering a league’s draft, and knowing that a team wants you there for a playoff run and believes that you can contribute”, Kalvins Zvejnieks admitted following the announcement of his contract signing. “I would have signed with them [Vancouver] earlier if possible, but there were my other commitments to my minor league, and the long playoff run my old team had had to finish up first. Only then could I declare for SMJHL eligibility, and the team was quick to approach me to gauge my interest”.

Asked about his Latvian heritage and his interest in participating in IIHF competitions, Zvejnieks jubilantly replied, “I mean, it’s always a dream to suit up in your nation’s jersey. There are a lot of young up-and coming Latvian players in the SHL and SMJHL already, so I hope that when the next World Juniors comes around they have room for me” Zvejnieks laughs, “and then, of course, the long-term goal is to become an established player in the SHL and centre for the senior team [for Latvia]. Until then, it has to be one step at a time, and for now, I’m focused on helping my team win these important games, and holding up my own end of the ice.”

The Whaler’s next and final regular season game come tomorrow, versus the currently 2nd place St. Louis Scarecrows. Both teams have only the one game remaining, and are neck and neck for points: if Vancouver can pull of a regulation win, both teams will have 61 points, but Vancouver will go ahead on ROW and goal-differential. Any other result means that St. Louis gets the all important bye week for the first round of the SMJHL playoffs. You could almost consider tomorrow as a mini-playoff game for both teams, as whoever emerges victorious gets to rest for a whole round of the playoffs. It will be interesting to see if and where Kalvins Zvejnieks slots into the lineup tomorrow, and how quickly he takes up the Whaler’s potent system. The Vancouver Whalers as of now have the league's best GF/G by a wide margin (As well as 6 players in the top 10 league-wide for assists!), but the also 3rd highest GA/G. Adding Zvejnieks adds a little more defensive tools to help round out a lethal offensive output.

Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers

[Image: N8JhTE5.png]

Let’s go Whalers!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Great article. Welcome to the team!

I like this guy. Welcome and good work!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

I'll see you on the ice tmrw

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]