Create Account

Detroit Falcons Finish 1st in the SMJHL

[Image: erxq3uU.gif]
[Image: cut.jpg]
Following a breakout season, the Falcons sit atop the SMJHL standings by a 7 point margin and are brimming with confidence as the postseason starts.

This season could hardly have gone better for the Detroit Falcons. They started strong, and got even better as the season progressed. Their defense and their reliable veteran netminder Cedric Robinson, were heroic and shut down opposing attempts to score. The Falcons had the fewest goals against in the juniors, something they are likely quite proud of. But not only were their blueliners and goalies stoic; their offense shone too, finishing second in the league in goals for. Their top 3 lines were all deadly and punished teams for even the slightest of mistakes; their excellence in all aspects of the games is what made them an elite team this season. With such finesse and skill gracing their locker room, the Falcons are the early favorites heading into the playoffs, and view this year as the peak of their window to win the Cup. And if they didn't already possess enough skill, the Falcons made three deadline deals with the Colorado Raptors; one to acquire rental right wing Vladimir Vaskov, a second for rental left winger Tony Pepperoni, and another for rental left winger Gvidas Kazlauskas.

"We added a lot of solid, capped forwards before the deadline, and Colorado were really great trade partners because we had different aims, so we could work things out for mutual benefit. They had a crew of good veterans that we're happy to add to our roster, and I hope they've felt welcome and comfortable in our locker room. I think we're ready for a playoff run, and I think they'll be glad to be a part of the special season we have going here," said Falcons right wing Ola Wagstrom. "Maybe I'll find chemistry with one of them, some line mix-ups are good to throw off opposing defenders. There's going to be no rest for them, no easy lines to face. Our roster is completely stacked, even with Pingy retiring."

But the Falcons dynasty may only be just beginning, and to explain why, one must closely examine the rookies that joined the roster. After the much-lauded picks of sterling sniper Franz Cooper, the leading S44 TPE earner Poopity Scooper, and that first gen that has 20 jobs Ola Wagstrom, their scouting did not rest on their laurels, but unearthed even more gems to fill out a superb roster. Defenseman Jimmy Cahill was drafted in the fourth round of the SMJHL entry draft, but has been an active and steady presence on the back end, hitting 200 TPE and registering 12 points over the course of the season. Another budding defenseman is Bedrich Sykora, who tallied 11 points. The young defensemen have not faltered, but arguably, the most successful rookie campaign for a defenseman was that of Nat Emerson. Emerson has accrued 222 TPE and 19 points, and looks like a future stud. As for rookie forwards, their top pick of the draft, Donnie Dicks, has lived up to the hype, dishing out 18 points, much better than the sluggish starts of last year's rookies, such as Ola Wagstrom's lousy 11 point rookie season. With 237 TPE in the books for Dicks, he is already at 78 in Scoring, and is likely to blossom into the next young, offensive star for Detroit.

"I think there were a lot of good guys on the board at the 6th overall slot, but we all knew Donnie Dicks was the real deal. He comes from a really prestigious agent, and he has trained like his life depends on it. He's continually improving and he has a really high hockey IQ. I love what he's doing on and off the ice, and looking forward to seeing what the future holds for him," said Ola Wagstrom. "As for Emerson, I liked him pretty much right from the beginning, I don't make signatures for just everyone. All these rookie defenseman, him, Cahill, Sykora...you can't tell they're rookies. I envy their confidence, and I'm glad I'm not the one who has to go up against them."

The one thing the Falcons may have to fear is losing some of their veterans to the SHL, as a few of them are rumored to be call-ups next season. But in spite of an opening with Arrivabene retiring in Winnipeg, Ola Wagstrom has suggested recently that he may stick around in juniors one more year; Franz Cooper has indicated he will also stay, so if Wagstrom does not leave, Detroit will still have two of their lethal weapons to snipe wicked goals. The two wingers paced similarly, and ended up with similar totals; the Swede with 38 points and Cooper with 36 points.

"I've had a great time in Detroit this season, it's been markedly better than last year was for me, so now I'm starting to think unless Winnipeg asks me to go up, I'll stick around. It'll give me more time to hone my craft, stockpile TPE, and prepare for the move to center. It's fun to be on a winning team and to rack up goals," said Ola Wagstrom. "Coops is great, very talented. I'd like to maybe try out being on a line with him; he's a nice guy and he plays a similar game to me. Great shot, not afraid to shoot the puck. My favorite type of player. You can't single out a bad guy on this team; that's the best part of being a Falcon for me. We're all in this together, and there's no weak links."

Word Count: 1016 Words

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

[Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

nice article stammer Falcons

[Image: 3.png]

SKREEEEEEEE

SKREEEEEE

Finland Update Page  Interview  Player Page  Wolfpack

[Image: Snussu.gif]

Thanks to everyone made sigs to me!!!! (Gif made by myself)

SKREEEEEEEEEE

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

wags