Create Account

Regular Season End Draft Analysis

So here I'm going to try and dissect every selection of the S44 SMJHL draft, how those players have turned out, and how well all of the teams did as a whole. (Disclaimer that I am not checking update threads, so if someone gained a bulkload of TPE before the next update and your stats look meh, too bad.)

This will be a two post media article, with the first being dedicated to the players themselves, and the second examining how each team performed with their respective picks and given a ranking accordingly. This is mainly due to time constraints so apologies in advance!

Before I break it down, here's the full list of draftee's from the class of S44 that I will use as a reference point if you needed your memory jogged:

Round one:
1. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors - Alexander Selich
2. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada - Leopold Lockhart
3. [Image: militia.png] Montreal Militia (via Halifax Raiders) - Andreas Kvalheim
4. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors (via Kelowna Knights) - Konstantin Voloshin
5. [Image: raiders.png] Halifax Raiders (via Montreal Militia) - Dominic Montgomery
6. [Image: falcons2.png] Detroit Falcons - Donnie Dicks
7. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada (via St. Louis Scarecrows) -  Mika Mayfield
8. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors (via Vancouver Whalers) - Cassius Darrow

Round Two:
9. [Image: scarecrows.png] St. Louis Scarecrows (via Anchorage Armada) - Samuel Jalopski
10. [Image: knights.png] Kelowna Knights (via Halifax Raiders) -  Sanyi Kocsis
11. [Image: raiders.png] Halifax Raiders (via Montreal Militia) - Desmond Carey
12. [Image: whalers.png] Vancouver Whalers (via Detroit Falcons) - Cash Considerations
13. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors (via Kelowna Knights) - Gareth Rush
14. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors - Jakub Novak
15. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada (via St. Louis Scarecrows) - Kenji Yoshimura
16. [Image: whalers.png] Vancouver Whalers  - Andy Kerr

Round Three:
17. [Image: scarecrows.png] St. Louis Scarecrows (via Anchorage Armada) - Slip McScruff
18. [Image: raiders.png] Halifax Raiders - FORFEIT
19. [Image: militia.png] Montreal Militia - Hiro Fujikawa
20. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada (via Detroit Falcons) - Vegeta Muerto
21. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors (via Kelowna Knights) - Zivan Zedek
22. [Image: knights.png] Kelowna Knights (via Colorado Raptors) - Nolan Sawchuk
23. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada (via St. Louis Scarecrows) - Maxime Bouchard
24. [Image: whalers.png] Vancouver Whalers  - William Goose

Round Four:
25. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada - Arsène Arsenich
26. [Image: raiders.png] Halifax Raiders - Ivars Ozols
27. [Image: militia.png] Montreal Militia - Griffith Cadwalader
28. [Image: falcons2.png] Detroit Falcons - Jimmy Cahill
29. [Image: militia.png] Montreal Militia (via Kelowna Knights) - Marshal Ray
30. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors - Guy McCool
31. [Image: scarecrows.png] St. Louis Scarecrows - Pass
32. [Image: whalers.png] Vancouver Whalers  - Pass

Round Five
33. [Image: armada.png] Anchorage Armada - Pass
34. [Image: raiders.png] Halifax Raiders - Pass
35. [Image: militia.png] Montreal Militia - Elias Hughes
36. [Image: falcons2.png] Detroit Falcons - Richard Williamson
37. [Image: knights.png] Kelowna Knights - Jeffery Murphy
38. [Image: raptors.png] Colorado Raptors - Pass
39. [Image: scarecrows.png] St. Louis Scarecrows - Pass 
40. [Image: whalers.png] Vancouver Whalers  - Pass

For reference I'll be using these two averages for comparisons: 

1. The Total TPE of the class (so far) is 6433.
Divided by 28 players for an Average TPE of 229.75 per Rookie.
(By 32 is an average of 201.03125 but I didn't feel it was fair to the class to include 4 deleted players)

2. Total points for the class is 484
Divided by 28 players for an Average Points score of 17.285

With a total of 32 Players to look at, lets start the examination! We'll keep the pick numbers next to the names to make it less confusing to follow.

1. Alexander Selich: Current TPE 259 
Final season point total: 26 (12G, 14A)
Well above the average in both categories and impressively balanced stats, Selich will be upset they didn't score more and truly justify the First Overall burden attached to their name. But really at this point that doesn't matter, they proved they have what it takes to live up to the hype already. Colorado should be giddy.

2. Leopold Lockhart: Current TPE 258
Final season point total: 31 (8G, 23A)
With an absolute monster score to end the season on, this D can surely feel satisfied about their performance. Being selected second can sometimes be a blessing in disguise, as everyone is constantly looking at the other guy, and you are left to your own devices and able to keep in your own head space. Whether that's the case here is unknown, but what is certain is that Lockhart has nothing left to prove to anyone.

3. Andreas Kvalheim: Current TPE 258
Final season point total: 18 (7G, 11A)
Just scraping by to be above the average in terms of points, Andreas will be disappointed they couldn't convert more chances. They are a F after all. Despite being overshadowed by other classmates, Andreas still put up the best points for his team out of rookies (granted there aren't many in Montreal) and has been keeping up pace with the rest of the top earners of TPE. The points will come, Andreas just got unlucky this season.

4. Konstantin Voloshin: Current TPE 248
Final season point total: 28 (15G, 13A)
Slightly less TPE than the first 3 but still well above the average, Konstantin proved himself with a mammoth point score to show them 4th overall isn't to be counted out. He plays on the second line for the Raptors, and certainly is the target man when they are out. Deadly accuracy and passing, Konstantin is a beast that can shoot with the best of them.

5. Dominic Montgomery: Current TPE 247
Final season point total: 14 (3G, 11A)
With the lowest points total for the first round selections, some would say he had a bad season. Keep in mind Dominic is a D and had much less ice time than a lot of the others in his round. His TPE intake is almost as high as everyone else, so we'll put it down to the coach giving him a learning curve.

6. Donnie Dicks: Current TPE 237
Final season point total: 18 (9G, 9A)
Almost the epitome of average looking at his stats, his ice time is incredibly low and his numbers have suffered because of it. Playing on a stacked Detroit team doesn't help his chances, but when some older players start to be called up he will have his time to shine. There's nothing more surprising than a sudden emergence of Dicks.

7. Mika Mayfield: Current TPE 273 (Highest Current TPE out of all S44 Rookies)
Final season point total: 32 (10G, 22A)
Here we come to ROTY contender and self proclaimed TPE whore Mayfield. If it wasn't for a cold patch at the end of the season, the ROTY winner wouldn't even be a question, you could just get the trophy cast with her name in it. I don't even know how she has managed to grab all of that TPE but it's hats off regardless. With an absolutely ludicrous 32 points for the season and almost doubling the average rookie, there is no doubt Mika is one of the best players in the class, and soon to be the league.

8. Cassius Darrow: Current TPE 248
Final season point total: 29 (5G, 24A)
Cassius has been the quiet achiever amongst his roster in the view that he's got the majority of his points from assists, but make no mistake he isn't to be underestimated. Top of his team in points and keeping up pace with his TPE too, he rounds out the first round of selections nicely. Colorado are going to be frightening for a little while to come.

9. Samuel Jalopski: Current TPE 262
Final season point total: 13 (3G, 10A)
Second only to Mika in terms of TPE intake, Jalopski had a disappointing season points wise. It's a little bit of an unknown, with decent ice time and linemates, he just hasn't produced what his numbers say he should. He is +/- 2 which as a D definitely makes up for it to an extent. Second season player for sure, and I'm expecting a huge increase.

10. Sanyi Kocsis: Current TPE 238
Final season point total: 38 (10G, 28A) (Highest Point tally for the season out of all S44 Rookies)
Where to even start with this guy. How on earth he has managed to get 38 points in his first season is beyond me. TPE is only slightly above the average and HE'S A D. Either the coach is doing something radical to increase his output, or he really just is a phenom. Either way, he's surely the forerunner for ROTY. It's just inhuman what this guy has shown this season. His team did get knocked out of the race for playoffs though and being at -12 +/-, maybe he actually does have something to work on. Focusing too much on offence maybe? Only time will tell.

11. Desmond Carey: Current TPE 188
Final season point total: 4 (1G, 3A)
What a disappointment in comparison to everyone else so far. Way below average points and TPE, he is definitely not worthy of the number 11 pick. But sometimes these things happen I guess. Next.

12. Cash Considerations: Current TPE 180
Final season point total: 16 (3G, 13A)
What I don't understand about this guy is how he even managed to get that many points with only earning 25 TPE from his base player. Performing way above his pay grade, I'm still not sure if I can classify this as a decent pick, let alone a solid pick. The guy is basically inactive but only had one point less than the league average. I just don't get it. Imagine what he could have done if he stayed active. Shame really.

13. Gareth Rush
Hoo Boy let's not touch this firecracker with a ten foot pole. Given how active he was, if he could have actually played nice maybe he would have been a decent addition to the site. Oh well moving on.

14. Jakub Novak: Current TPE 217
Final season point total: 17 (4G, 13A)
Below the average TPE but keeping up the pace with his points total for a very respectable 17, it could be due to his linemates or maybe he is good at picking out his stats carefully. Either way, he has been a solid selection for the Raptors, who at this stage have had an amazing draft. A little bit more earning and he could become a top player.

15. Kenji Yoshimura: Current TPE 215
Final season point total: 12 (5G, 7A)
Slightly less exciting than a lot of the other players so far, Yoshimura needs to bring his activity back up if he wants to be considered elite. Underwhelming stats and low TPE don't make for champions. Here's hoping he contributes a bit more in both categories.

16. Andy Kerr: Current TPE 235
Final season point total: 13 (6G, 7A)
Very nice TPE earnings and okay stats, Kerr suffered from minimal ice time this season, and will surely be hoping to amend that next season. With a bit of a stacked team in front of him, he will get his chance next season amongst the rest of the Whalers rookies. Personally I'd be upset that Cash got more ice time but D's are lucky like that I guess.

17. Slip McScruff: Current TPE 243
Final season point total: 10 (1G, 9A)
Another anomaly, great TPE earning from Slip has turned into a solid player, but just lacking in the points total this season. Needs to work on his shooting from the looks of it, his assists are at a decent level. I'm certain he will develop into a higher calibre player next year. Only -2 +/- on a generally average team should be mentioned as well. Probably is quite focused on his defensive stats above all else.

19. Hiro Fujikawa: Current TPE 247
Final season point total: 14 (9G, 5A)
Another case of the simulator being brutal, 14 points for Hiro doesn't measure up to his TPE earnings. Montreal will have to consider giving him more ice time once their vets start to move on, and I'm certain he will grab the opportunity with both hands.

20. Vegeta Muerto: Current TPE 241
Final season point total: 25 (2G, 23A)
A true outlier amongst his class, Vegeta has contributed a monstrous 23 assists in his first season, equal to his teammate and second overall pick Leopold Lockhart. The high end D men in this draft just can't stop contributing insane amounts of assists. Muerto is no pushover, and even though he hasn't gained as much as others, don't expect his TPE to stall anytime soon.

21. Zivan Zedek: Current TPE 226
Final season point total: 14 (6G, 8A)
Average TPE and below average points, seemingly falling off the radar mid season due to some off ice issues, Zivan has the mind of a veteran and it will be interesting to see where his path leads. Not much to say for his season in comparison to his better earning teammates, maybe the next will give him more of a chance to shine.

22. Nolan Sawchuk: Current TPE 234
Final season point total: 30 (14G, 16A)
Where on earth did this guys points production come from? Slightly above average TPE doesn't line up for how much he has been smashing it on the ice. Unfortunately for him he has the horrendous stat of being -32 +/-, which puts a huge dampener on all of the points he contributed. Might need to work on his defence and contributing to his team as a whole, but unsure if that is the true issue here. Either way, a fantastic pick for Kelowna at number 22.

23. Maxime Bouchard: Current TPE 250
Final season point total: 21 (5G, 16A)
Currently cruising close to the top rookies of TPE earning, Maxime turned his season around after going several sim weeks with little to no point production. Finishing the season with well above average Points and TPE, it seems as though he needs to work on his accuracy if he truly wants to be come great. Can't comment on whether he was a solid choice by Anchorage because I'm subject to bias, I'll let you make up your own minds about that.

24. William Goose: Current TPE 239
Final season point total: 17 (9G, 8A)
An excellent selection by Vancouver late in the rounds, Goose has put up great points with nice balanced stats even though he has had reduced ice time. Has been on the front foot of earning his TPE too. No doubt will be a stud for the Whalers for the next few years, and one to watch for sure.

25. Arsène Arsenich: Current TPE 239
Final season point total: 21 (10G, 11A)
Just like Goose, a fantastic selection by the Armada to take Arsenich. Point production to rival a lot of his classmates and fantastic build structure, Arsene has been gaining ground in the TPE race recently and wants to prove to everyone he isn't to be underestimated. Above average in all categories and nicely balanced stats make for a player that's easy on the eyes.

26. Ivars Ozols: Current TPE 161
Final season point total: 3 (2G, 1A)
After the past three selections, we come to what can only be described as a waste of a pick. This guy should probably be sent back down to peewee and Halifax will be kicking themselves that they bothered with him. I guess he got 2 goals at some point but meh. Expect him to disappear in the not too distant future.

27. Griffith Cadwalader: Current TPE 243
Final season point total: 5 (2G, 3A)
I feel sorry for Griffith. Absolutely minimal ice time and relegated to the 4th despite putting up huge amounts of TPE, his production has completely (and understandably) suffered because of it. Another case of Montreal being stacked with veterans and virtually screwing their rookies out of public affection. Just wait till next season is all I can say, things can ONLY go up from here.

28. Jimmy Cahill: Current TPE 200
Final season point total: 12 (2G, 10A)
The only other pick for the Falcons and I guess you can say he has been alright. Needs to work on his earnings and maybe his score will follow suit. As it currently stands there really isn't much to say about him apart from he has been below average in most categories. I'm sure if Detroit win the playoffs it will make up for it though in most peoples eyes.

29. Marshal Ray: Current TPE 166
Marshal appeared seemingly a handful of times on the site, and didn't sign an entry contract. I'd cross his name out but technically he still exists in Unsigned Players so here's his points total: Zero. That's pretty much all I need to say about him.

30. Guy McCool: Current TPE 181
Final season point total: 3 (1G, 2A)
Closing out the remaining "active" players we have McCool. With minimal TPE and minimal points, I don't really know what else there is to say to be honest. He has 1 more TPE than Cash I guess? Meh.

Following three picks are dead accounts with no player associated from what I could determine. Had these plays stuck around who knows what could have happened to the standings and the season? Maybe things would be different for Montreal, Detroit and Kelowna, but it certainly seems unlikely given the state of each team. You never know though. Shame but to be expected this late in the draft I guess.
35. Elias Hughes

36. Richard Williamson

37. Jeffrey Murphy

That rounds it out for the entire class, next time I will be referencing this article and talking about the teams!

(4028 words)

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Nice article bahdee

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

top notch article Smile)

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

Cheers fellas!

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard

Good looking draft class

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

11-30-2018, 12:48 PMWeretarantula Wrote: His team did get knocked out of the race for playoffs though and being at -12 +/-, maybe he actually does have something to work on. Focusing too much on offence maybe? Only time will tell.

tfw defense is my highest attribute at 75

great article brother man

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

11-30-2018, 06:48 PMdaBenchwarmer Wrote: tfw defense is my highest attribute at 75

great article brother man

*shrug* Well.... must be your team mates dropping the ball then!

Thanks man appreciate it :D

Maxime Bouchard

Good stuff, I like it

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Nice job bb <3

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

great article wereterantula!

<3's to you all

Maxime Bouchard

Can we start a collections drive for @Esso2264 so he can buy equipment already?

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Give me all your money

Nice one broheim!

Armada

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

11-30-2018, 09:17 PMEsso2264 Wrote: Give me all your money

Do you want the keys to my house so you can fuck my wife too?

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)