Create Account

S44 SMJHL PT 6 - Lessons Learned

With the regular season quickly coming to a close, now is the time to make that last push for the President's Trophy and start gearing up for playoffs. In order to play your best game, you're going to need to reflect on what lessons you and your team have learned so far.

Requirements
Written option: choose two games your team has played this season, one where things went badly and one where things went well, and tell us why you think that happened. Must include 150 words, a clear indication of which games, and at least 3 stats from each game.
Graphic option: choose two games your team played this season, one where things went badly and one where things went well, and create an infographic highlighting the reasons you think that was the case. Must include the team logos and at least 4 stats from each game.

Payout
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S44 SMJHL Rookies (S45 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT. If you created after the trade deadline and will be entered into the S45 SMJHL Rookie class next ssn, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline
Friday 12/7/2018 @ 10:00am CST

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

The two games I'm analysing are Game 10 against Detroit, and Game 97 against Colorado.

Game 10 was a nasty affair for the Armada, conceding 8 goals (including 4 in the second period), not getting a single star at the end of the game, and taking a total of 7 penalties to Detroit's 0! A truly brutal affair to say the least but to top it all off it happened at home. Not exactly eye candy for the fans entering into the new season.... I think this all came down to a veteran SMJHL team taking advantage of a group of new youngsters coming in who hadn't had time to gel with the older members, and really putting their inconsistencies to the sword. We did manage to get 3 goals in the game, but the Falcons just kept raining them into our net. Truly a night to forget.

Shoot forward to halfway through the season, and we are facing the Raptors. Our standings had been turbulent all year, and we were in direct competition with Colorado for most of it. But in this game, we turned up the heat. Slamming in 6 goals throughout the game, and neutralising their offence to one truly exciting second period in which we both converted 3 chances a piece. Leopold Lockhart got a 5 point game this night, and even though Alexander Selich got a goal, I totally believe Leopold did that just to show who was the best prospect taken in the draft. We also locked them out of the stars, claiming all three to wrap up a fantastic night, and to really salt the wound it was in their building too. Lots of unhappy fans to say the least, but some great memories for the Armada.

Armada Armada Armada

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

It's safe to say that from this season for the Montreal Militia, we seen a lot of things. We seen great moments, good and bad ones - some highs and lows and a lot of the in-between. I think a transitional period is about to come, but for now, let's focus on the present or some what past if you will. Again, crazy season for Montreal that had a lot of diversity about it. For your amazement only (truly not mine at this hour), we're going to give you the best and the worst for the Militia this season.

The Best
Anchorage Armada V Montreal Militia (Game 131)

There were a few games to chose from here, but this one may have come across as the one no brainer. 6, if not mistaken was the most they scored in a game, but this 5-0 shut down against the Armada is the cherry on top. Despite the shots remaining close the entire game, reaching totals of 29 (A) V 31 (M), the score told you a different story. In our eyes, and likely everyone else, Petr Vrana stole the show this time around for Montreal, leaving the game with a shut out and 29 solid saves. Another factor into this game was the fact that Montreal managed to go 4/4 on the PK, and 1/2 on the PP, largely pushing over Anchorage in the specials departments.

The Worst
Colorado Raptors V Montreal Militia - Out shot, out scored.

They only lost 6-2 and handful of times, but that's more than enough to use those games to narrow it down to the worst of the season. For me, this was the chosen one. the ALMIGHTY. Well, for Colorado anyway. Colorado got 3 chicken ass goals in the first period on 5 shots, followed up by 2 goals in 7 in the second. At this point in the game, it isn't looking good. The fact that Colorado came out in the 3rd and out shot their opponents 16-4, to finalize the shots 28 to 26 and a final score reading 6-2 for Colorado. Unlike the last game mentioned, Vrana struggled and saved 3 of 7 shots before being pulled, the power play went from 1/2 to 0/5 and the PK slipped as well from 100% (4/4) to 66% (2/3). Safe to say, Sachimo Zoidberg Jr. and Maddox of the Raptors showed up to fuck today and they fucked Montreal all game long - eating earning 4 points.

[Image: ThdtxoF.png]

|| Fujikawa Player Page || Update Page ||

In life, lessons can be learned from both positive and negative experiences. In my first year in the SMJHL that rings absolutely true and oddly enough both of these experiences came against the same team. Let's get the negative experience out of the way. We were playing the Colorado Raptors (Game 137) and I just shit the bed. I don't know what happened but I just had no legs that night. I was out of position and couldn't catch up to anyone to make up for it. I finished the game -3. I think it was my worst game in that regard all season. I blocked zero shots. I was a god damned pylon. I couldn't even take out my frustration on the Raptors. I could only muster 2 hits in the entire game. This game taught me to stay humble and to work even harder to get better. The highlight of the season and where I really felt confident in the league for the first time was in game 90. I came into the game with a handful of assists but nothing to be too proud of. That night is when it all came together. I was seeing plays unfold. My teammates and I were communicating and flowing. I am by no means an offensive threat but I put up 3 assists that night. I dropped 4 guys and blocked a shot. I was honored to be the first star of the game. That night made me feel like I belonged in the league.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

[Image: TBqGz3L.png]

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

I’ll be comparing Game 61 versus St. Louis to Game 129 versus Detroit.

Game 61 was a game that Colorado had every opportunity to win, but the young Raptors were unable to convert when it mattered most, losing 6-5 (SO). In an exciting first period, the Raptors gained 1-0 and 3-2 leads, but the Scarecrows battled back each time to tie the game. Nicholas Williams factored prominently, scoring St. Louis’ first goal and assisting on three others. Despite outshooting their opponents 40-31 and only taking two penalties, the Raptors were unable to capitalize on the SIX power play opportunities they were given. A large part of this came down to the faceoff circle—ST. Louis won near 57% of the faceoffs (53/93), giving them a serious possession advantage. After Vladimir Vaskov’s goal at 9:12 of the first period, the Raptors never led the rest of the night.

While the Raptor’s still struggled in the faceoff circle in Game 129 versus Detroit (46%), little else was the same. The Raptors played a complete game on the way to a 3-0 rout of the league’s first place team. The team played a disciplined game, taking only four penalties and stymieing the Falcon’s powerplay. They also capitalized on Detroit’s mistakes, scoring two powerplay goals on their six opportunities. Goalie Scottey Crawfling also played out of his mind, stopping all 36 shots that came near his crease.

These games showcase the importance of maximizing their special teams’ opportunities. Every game matters, and great teams need to capitalize on their opponents’ mistakes. As the season went along, the Raptors’ young group of rookies learned and grew in their ability to capitalize in all situations. Looking forward, the team’s centers should spend the offseason practicing faceoffs in all situations. Too often, a faceoff loss this year led to botched offensive possessions or free opportunities for the other team. The development of first-year players Zivan Zidek and Konstantin Voloshin, as well as second-year player Keegan Angello this offseason will be key to the possession stats of the S45 Colorado Raptors.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

It's been a rough season for the Kelowna Knights. Despite having an injection of youth, and an extremely promising start to the season, the Knights collapsed and finished last in the SMJHL. Regardless of their finish however, the rookies in the Knights' line-up, alongside of the various veterans, have all picked up on some of the highlights and lowlights of the season.

There were so many positives for the Knights during this game. Whether if it was the perfect penalty kill, going 4 for 4 and completely shutting down the Militia's powerplay, having a powerplay that was firing 3 for 5 (60%), and keeping the shot totals close 24-27 against a team that was, on paper, much better than the Knights were.

This was an utter breakdown of the Knights' system during this game. As well, this was not the first time the Knights had eight goals potted on them. Despite all they could do, the Knights were simply outworked, outhustled, and outperformed by the Armada. Not only were the Knights unable to capitalize on the few chances they had, their defense was next to pitiful during this game, allowing a total of 41 shots against. The goaltending situation wasn't better either, with both goalies posting sub .900 save percentages and outrageous goals against averages. Additionally, the Knights' powerplay unit was humiliated by the Armada when Dean Colt III managed to sneak past the Knights defenders and post a short-handed goal.

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

http://simulationhockey.com/games/smjhl/...HL-68.html - MTL 6-2 COL

This was one of the worst games of the season for the Colorado Raptors. The Raptors we're dominated each period by the sheer amount of goals that we're being let in by the net minder. Scottey Crawfling was a blind monkey during the first half of the game if you ask me, allowing 4 goals on 13 shots, maintaining a 69.2% save percentage (trash!). It did not help the Raptors that Willy Mack decided to tune up his game a notch, scoring a hat trick on Crawfling. It wasn't helpful that the defense seemed lost this game, especially Kevin Maddox, with a eye catching -3 in this game, the worst on the Raptors.

http://simulationhockey.com/games/smjhl/...HL-33.html COL 6-2 MTL

One of the best games of the season for the Raptors was also against the Militia. The incredible force Sachimo ZOidberg from the back end put the team on his back, scoring a hat trick. The Raptors exposed Petr Vrana, who was pulled only a minute after the second period again, letting in 4 goals on 7 shots, leading a 42.9% save percentage. Kevin Maddox seriously put on a play making show, putting up 4 assists (2 of them coming on goals from his linemate Sachimo Zoidberg)

Cold and Hot for the McScruff / Maple Pair
by SD

Late in the season, Winter came for the Scarecrows when they acquired both Alex Winters and Philipp Winter from the Colorado Raptors.  You might wonder what this has to do with Slip McScruff as a 3rd pair D-man.  Well, the Crows wanted to add two new forwards into the line up and you don't get that kind of space for free.  Luckily, Bernard Freeman was already pulling double duty, so one forward was taken care of and he got some relief, win win.  For the other spot, however, Adam Taylor ended up switching his play style to join the top D pair, which had a cascading shuffle in all defensive pairings; everyone had a new partner and Julio Ruiz became a healthy scratch.  For Slip McScruff, this meant pairing with 4th year veteran, Gordie Maple.

After winning the first game with the new forwards, the Crows tanked onto a 6 game losing streak.  The Crows were still in the running for a first round bye in the playoffs, so they decided to tweak the line again which translated into a 5 game win streak to finish off the season.  The two streaks were like day and night for the McScruff / Maple pair.  In the losing streak, they tried to play the same totally defensive style that McScruff had with Airi Yamaguchi which resulted in a -4 goal differential each over those 6 games.  At the pivot point, the Crows coach switched McScruff and Maple to be a little more physical and a little more offense oriented, at the cost of some defensive focus.  The results were immediately obvious as the pair had a +3 goal differential each, and given the offensive room, Gordie Maple connected for 1 goal and 2 assists.

Let's take a look at a game from each streak.

Game 158 vs VAN was one of the first games with the McScruff / Maple pair and the chemistry was not there at all.  In fact, this was the worst game for them with a -2 differential each, a single shot blocked between the two of them, and no hits.  The pair was on ice for both of the first two goals by Vancouver and both times there was no Crow interaction with the play between face off and scoring.  While not on the ice for the 3rd goal, the play from Vancouver came off Slip's blocked shot.  From that block, Slip was the only Crow to touch the puck but he was hammered by Luke Thomason.  Aleister Cain was able to grab onto a shot and force a fresh face off, but the Crows lost that and the zone control finally converted to a goal off the stick of Trav Lizard.

Game 194 vs HAL was the best game for the pair on the win streak and we can see how both offensive and physical play styles translated into success for the team.  They both had a +2 differential, Maple registered 2 points, and McScruff had a hit and a blocked shot.  In the second minute of play, Brock Nuck intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and sent it to Maple in the Halifax zone for a scoring drive.  There were 14 passes in less than 30 seconds with McScruff and Maple touching the puck 7 times before Roger Baston tied up the game.  Then, late in the 2nd period, McScruff's blocked shot turned into an offensive opportunity for the Crows.  He immediately retrieved the free puck and dished to Baston, then hauled ass down to the far blue line for a zone entering pass from Nuck.  After a quick line change opened up by this drive, the fresh Crows immediately picked up on the momentum and scored.  

Word Count: 3x Too Many

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

PBE PT

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

[Image: pt6.jpg]

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Pbe affiliation

[Image: 1542603263658.png]

A game that certainly didn't go well for the Halifax Raiders was game 45 this season against the Vancouver Whalers. The Whalers started off the game with four goals in the first period and had two more in the third to end the game 6-1 Whalers. The Whalers only had 3 more shots than the Raiders in the first period (10-7), but the shots came out to 34-25 at game's end in favor of the Whalers, showing that the Raiders' defense probably wasn't doing the best job that they could have this night. The Whalers took advantage of 4 out of 7 power plays while the Raiders didn't even have any attempts at all. The three penalties for the Raiders in the first period contributed to the most goals, and the Raiders failed to draw any penalties from the Whalers. The Whalers also had 25 hits this game compared to the Raiders 15, showing their dominance the whole night, even in the faceoff circle, beating the Raiders 44-39 there when the Raiders should have been trying harder to capitalize.

A game that went very well for the Raiders was game 23 against the Anchorage Armada where the Raiders opened up the game with a goal and kept going, getting three more in the second and ending the game with 5-1 Raiders. Nathan Cosco was second star of the game and deservedly so, facing 31 of 32 shots on goal successfully. The Raiders may have had only 25 shots on goal this game, but 20% of their shots were successful. The Raiders were also able to kill seven penalties and capitalize on two power plays out of the three they were given. Not a bad night for the team.

[Image: 56791_s.gif]

sigs by sulovilen, slothfacekilla, Flareon
Current: Wolfpack raiders Uk | Alumni: Inferno pride Knights Germany

Montreal's worst game of the season was Game 33 against the Colorado Raptors. This was their 7th game of the season, and the Militia had 1 point thus far with a record of 0-5-1. Despite the brutal start, there was a glimmer of hope for Montreal as those 6 games were with their second choice keeper in net. With star goalie Petr Vrana back after a stint in the SHL, things were expected to change. They didn't. 21 minutes into the game, Voloshin scored for Colorado to make it 4-0 and Vrana was pulled from the game with more goals allowed (4) than saves (3). The game ended 6-2 for Colorado as Montreal went a pitiful 0-5 with the man advantage.

The very next game, the Militia played perhaps the best hockey of the season, finally getting their first W in the process Game 35 was played against the Knights and things were looking bleak at the start with Kelowna scoring just 30 seconds into the game. But this time, Montreal was able to respond, scoring 5 unanswered goals. Leading the way was Derek Bohne with 2 goals and an assist. Vrana was back to his usual self as well, putting up 22 saves in the win.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

PBE PT

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!