Create Account

The Best Moment in Sports: Game 7
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM by karlssens.)

TORONTO v MINNESOTA

It's that time of year again. Three series down and one to go as we approach the end of the first round of the S44 SHL Playoffs. Through are the Edmonton Blizzard, Winnipeg Jets and West Kendall Platoon. The last second round seed shall be determined tonight at 9:00pm eastern. Will it be the offensively driven Minnesota Chiefs or the defensively gifted Toronto North Stars? Each camp has their arguments for why they believe their team will prove victorious over the other, but let’s dive in and analyze this series ahead of what is the most exciting moment in post-season sports, game 7.

[Image: Toronto.png]  [Image: Minnesota.png]

How They Got Here
Toronto North Stars… At the beginning of the season most gave the Ontario capital very little love penciling them in to finish in the bottom 3 in the east and outside of the playoffs in nearly every seasonal prediction. Fifty games later and not only did they qualify, but they did so in style with a sparkling 33-15-2 record, finishing first overall in the east with a total of 68 points, 3 more than the second seed West Kendall Platoon. So what changed? Well unless you’re living under a rock then you’ve likely heard that new comer and veteran netminder Michael McFadden has been having an absolutely brilliant year. First in save percentage, goals against average and wins he is a relative lock for goaltender of the year and makes a strong case for most valuable player of the season as well. In fact his 0.932 save percentage is the highest in the current era and the best regular season save percentage we’ve seen since S5. The rest of the cast did their part, but there is no denying this team is where it is this season due in large part to McFadden’s performance.

Minnesota Chiefs… While not nearly as large of a success story as the previously highlighted Toronto North Stars the Minnesota Chiefs had their fair share of obstacles on their way to the post-season this year. Predicted by many to slide in to the playoffs as the third or fourth seed they did exactly that, but I doubt many would have predicted that knowing they’d be sellers at the trade deadline. Gone are long-time Chiefs Isak Odegard and Halfdan Thorstein, two huge pieces involved in their S39 Challenge Cup victory and S40 Challenge Cup final appearance. So how do they find themselves one win away from round two? Well when your first line has three players inside the top 12 in league scoring, including two inside the top 4 it certainly makes things a little easier. The only playoff team to finish the regular season with a negative goal differential, the top heavy Minnesota Chiefs can tear you apart one game and fall flat the next one. While not the ideal strategy it was more than sufficient to stay ahead of the fifth ranked New England Wolfpack and earn a post-season berth.

Why They’ll Win Game 7
Toronto North Stars… Through 6 games in this best of 7 the Toronto North Stars have stayed relatively true to their regular season performance. Their 2.67 goals against per game in the playoffs is only slightly worse than their regular season 2.26, and their 2.50 goals for is again only slightly worse than their 2.82 goals for in the regular season. In terms of goals the two teams are effectively deadlocked as Toronto has 15 goals for and 16 goals against through 6 games. Delving a little deeper the defensively minded Toronto North Stars are actually outshooting the opposing Minnesota Chiefs 32.67 per game to 29.83. They’re also winning the battle at the faceoff dot currently sitting with the second best rating of 51.46%. They are converting on their power play opportunities at a top post-season percentage of 40% and their penalty kill isn’t too shabby either as they sit at 82.61%, third in the post-season. Based on stats, you have to give an edge to the Toronto North Stars.

Minnesota Chiefs… As I’ve already touched on above, the Toronto North Stars are leading the Minnesota Chiefs in nearly every statistical category: Power Play %, Penalty Kill %, Faceoff %, Shots For, Shots Against and Hits. While this can be helpful over a full series, we’re down to the final winner takes all game 7. One player getting hot and delivering a stellar performance is much more compelling than any stat and in the case of the Minnesota Chiefs they have several big name performers. The obvious one is star center Terrance Nova who leads the post-season with 11 points in 6 playoff games. A North Star killer, you better believe he’s living rent free in Michael McFadden’s head right now. Not far behind him are his linemates Noro Wozy and Bobby Watson with 9 and 7 points respectively. All three of these men are well ahead of the top producing North Star Zander Rhys who currently has 5 points through 6 playoff games.

Who to Watch
Toronto North Stars… It goes without saying that this season this team goes as far as Michael McFadden is able to carry them, but I’ve already thoroughly highlighted his performance earlier so instead I’m going to venture outside the crease and select Chris York. The S33 phenom has more hardware than he can carry in his illustrious career with the Toronto North Stars and is eager to make his mark in this playoff series. Finishing the regular season with 39 points, he led all North Stars forwards in scoring, but we all know he’s capable of so much more given some of previous season performances. His 4 points in 6 playoff games isn’t exactly earth-shattering, but I have no doubt he’ll do anything he can to get his North Stars in to round 2.

Minnesota Chiefs… While much of the focus has been on the stellar play of line 1 this season I’m going to slide my focus backwards to Minnesota’s own end and select goaltender Sebastien Primeau. Through 44 regular season starts he was average at best posting a 0.906 save percentage (10th overall), 2.99 goals against average (9th overall) and 22 wins (7th overall), but he has risen to the occasion here in the playoffs, elevating his game significantly in all areas. Through 6 games he has raised his save percentage to a sparkling 0.923 and lowered his goals against average to a much more favorable 2.51. If he can continue this type of play in game 7 I have no doubt the offensively minded Minnesota Chiefs will have a good chance to move on to round 2.

My Prediction
There are a lot of factors to take in to consideration here, but I’m going to go with the heroic play of Minnesota’s line one through 50 regular season games and 6 post-season games over the defensive nature of the Toronto North Stars. Minnesota Chiefs will win game 7 with a score of 4-2.

In other news work is slow today and I just killed a good hour. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

thanks. i hate it

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

Karl with some more bold predictions out here

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Awesome job hyping up the sims man you are a treasure.

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

Its also going to be the final game in one od Eriksson or Garbanzo's careers.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

go chiefs

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Someone hold me

[Image: 53994_s.gif]

Player Page
Player Updates
SMJHL Commissioner , SMJHL Awards Head, Banker (NEW/WKP), Rookie Mentor

yay

12-06-2018, 02:20 PMNobody Wrote: Someone hold me

nobody hold me

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

12-06-2018, 02:06 PMraymond3000 Wrote: Its also going to be the final game in one od Eriksson or Garbanzo's careers.

two locks for HOF going at it. Totally spaced on that one.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

I don't know how I will react if the Chiefs are somehow able to come away with a win, here.

No reason for the Chiefs to have gotten this far but somehow they are defying odds and are within spitting distance of an Eastern Conference final matchup.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Rooting for my old home Stars

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

Great post.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Top notch article as well Cheers

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

Win or lose I'm happy Chiefs made it this far after a depleted roster and deserve alot of credit and recognition for having the heart of true underdogs. Thankfully good situation eitherway despite what happens next sim.

Doubt is a dream killer