Create Account

S44 SMJHL CW

Task #1
Top 5 Raider Fans Who Had to Struggle With Rooting for Another Team
1.Art Matthew - Matthew really struggled with who to root for in the SMJHL S44 Playoffs since the Raiders weren’t involved. He ended up choosing the Whalers, claiming they were his western team, “if [he] had to choose.’
2. Wendy Meyers - Meyers is a die hard Raiders fan, but she’s even more of a die hard SMJHL fan, so she couldn’t go through the S44 playoffs without rooting for someone. She went with Raptors, because dinosaurs.
3. Morgan Fischer - Fischer had a good feeling about the Scarecrows this season and is a self-proclaimed bandwagoner.
4. Claus Saint - If he can’t root for the Raiders, he’ll root for the team closest to the North Pole, so Anchorage Armada it is.
5. Dylan Larkin - Detroit Falcons, because home roots.

Task #2
A couple players could have been given MVP of the playoffs, but my quick vote goes to Bernard Freeman of the St. Louis Scarecrows. In the regular season, Freeman had a -8 plus/minus and was tied for fifth in the St. Louis Scarecrows’ point leading race. In the playoffs, he turned his -8 to a +8, the highest on the team, and was the second point leader on the team. He contributed to three game winning goals when the Scarecrows needed it most (out of his five goals in the playoffs, three were the game winners), was second overall for right wingers in the playoffs, and really stepped up during playoffs to bring his team a victory. He also had 34 shots on goal, keeping the heat on the other teams and the goalies, which is not always easy to do in the playoffs, even with a good team. Freeman really stepped up these playoffs and will be one to watch on the Scarecrows for seasons to come.

Task #3 ur welcome for this amazingness
[Image: DqKZIGm.png]

Task #4
The Scarecrows were coming off of a three-game winning streak before they faced the Raptors (coming off a two-game winning streak). After not being able to score in the first game against the Scarecrows in game one, game two was the Raptors’ chance to prove themselves in this final round. However, they didn’t get their first chance at 6:58 in the first period when the Scarecrows opened up scoring with Nicky Pederson Jr. Less than a minute later though, Lillie Jacobs came through for the Raptors and the teams were tied for the rest of the first period, as well as the second that went scoreless. Nicky Pederson Jr. took it upon himself to have the Scarecrows go up 2-1 in the third period at 3:44, and this time, it took the Raptors a little longer, at 12:48, to tie up the scoring once again with a goal from rookie Alexander Selich. The rest of the period went scoreless as the game moved into overtime. The battle went a whole nine minutes and fourteen seconds until Bernard Freeman, with the help from Nicholas Williams and Alex Winters, put one in the back of the Raptors’ net to up their game-winning streak against the Raptors to two. It wasn’t the result the Raptors wanted, but it sure was a nail-biter for the fans.

Task #5
Dominic Montgomery did not make the playoffs with the Halifax Raiders, unfortunately, but it has given him some downtime to reflect on season 44 and get ready for season 45, as well as the SHL S45 Entry Draft. He was training in the off-season with some fellow Raiders, as well as Raider alum, and has also been getting to know Team United Kingdom, the team he hopes to play for when he's reached the SHL and proven his abilities on the ice. As he gets ready for WJC, he's also been hanging out with his parents' dogs back home in Michigan and seeing some friends, knowing that as soon as the SHL Draft comes, there won't be much alone time.

[Image: 56791_s.gif]

sigs by sulovilen, slothfacekilla, Flareon
Current: Wolfpack raiders Uk | Alumni: Inferno pride Knights Germany
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 08:17 PM by Ferdy.)

Task #1 - Make a top 5 list for the playoffs. Top 5 goals, top 5 players, top 5 noteworthy people in the audience for one of the games, whatever you want. No word count, but if you just list 5 names, you won't get the full 2 tpe. Be a little creative.

Top five coolest player names in the SMJHL Finals
5 - Scarecrows Jerry Larry: there's something about the sound of it that turns attention to it, and makes it really rather nice to be heard on your TV.
4 - Scarecrows Slip McScruff: I usually favour names that sound somewhat realistic in detriment to ones that are excessively absurd, but you can't dislike Mr. McScruff. A line with his name reminds us this is ultimately just a game and we shouldn't take it too seriously.
3 - Raptors Tim Murda: this is a very personal choice that is unlikely to make much sense to anyone else, but imagine him doing a sensational deke and having the TV commentator say "that's a Murda!" (as in, 'murder') I'm a fan.
2 - Scarecrows Airi Yamaguchi: It's cool to have names from non-traditional markets in the league, and though I don't really grasp why we have so many Japanese names nowadays, I like them.
1 - Raptors Veikka Toivanen: I had to include a traditionally European-sounding name. We all love those in hockey, and Finnish names are very much unique in their style.

Task #2 - Who's your MVP this season? Can be from the playoffs or the regular season.
Requirements: 150 words and mention of at least one stat.

You may find it lame to just mention the highest-scoring player in the regular season, specially given I nurture my player to be a two-way defenseman, and so you might think I'd favour players that are less offensive minded. But boy, you can't help it but admire a hockey player when he proves to be the league's most dominant sniper whilst also writing his name among the top ten biggest playmakers of the season, being a powerhouse of a skater for a traditional team full of history. I've had my rivalries with Kelowna, but I take my hat off for Vladislav Konstantin. 56 points in 45 games, whereas second-best point producer Boris Denisovich had to hit the ice on 51 occasions to come close with his 55 points. Not to mention his power play production is much below that of equivalent players, which really makes you think about just how much of an engine he is on even-strength, normal game situations.

Task #4 - Choose any game in the finals and write a short post game recap. Can be a summary of the goals scored, a turning point, an unsung hero profile, etc.
Requirements: 150 words.

Though the Saint Louis Scarecrows managed to finish the year off with a dominant sweep, only one of the finals games was a shutout. Here, we'll highlight how that turned out.
First of all, congratulations to Aleister Cain, who brought home a trophy and shined in the aforementioned game 1. We need to point out, however, this was not some sort of miraculous performance of a goalie saving fifty shots to bring home a win. Rather, it was a modest, but very responsible performance that served as cherry on top for a game which saw his team dominate all spheres of the game and keep the defensive side of things as clean as can be. Aleister only faced nineteen shots, which isn't the biggest number you've seen a goaltender stop. Still, he was as reliable as you need your masked man to be, and took home the award of first star while also setting the pace for what would be a marvelous team performance in the finals.

Task #5 - It's officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. Tell us how you're spending your time.
Requirements: 100 words.

While most prospects are intelligently spending their time by working on their game and becoming more capable performers on ice, Griffith "The Bust" Cadwalader has been spotted on many accounts wandering the city of Montreal while drinking varied milkshakes and reading books in Welsh. He does spend the occasional on-ice time bettering his hockey abilities, however, with special focus to his puck handling and defensive awareness, which you not only improve by training in the rink but also by trying to become a smarter, more knowledgeable hockey player overall; we'll see if it works for him. Please note he hopes to find a team willing to give his inconsistent game a chance.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 10:02 PM by raymond3000.)

Task #1 - Make a top 5 list for the playoffs. Top 5 goals, top 5 players, top 5 noteworthy people in the audience for one of the games, whatever you want. No word count, but if you just list 5 names, you won't get the full 2 tpe. Be a little creative.
Top 5 Team Logos in the SMJHL Playoffs
1.  Falcons - Love the colours and the minimalist style. Perhaps my favorite logo on the website
2.  Whalers - A beautiful crest with a colour scheme that represents the PNW. The font isn't the greatest though, and the whale tail is terribly low quality.
3.  Raptors - A unique colour scheme and a cartoonish style that is appropriate for the juniors. However, an awkwardly shaped logo and text lowers its ranking
4.  Scarecrows - There's only so much you can do when your team name is the Scarecrows. Overall solid, but the font choice could be better.
5.  Armada - The logo is just bland. Visually, there's no big flaws, but it's just not an interesting logo.

Task #2 - Who's your MVP this season? Can be from the playoffs or the regular season.

The MVP of st S44 SMJHL Four Star Cup playoffs should be Nicholas Williams. Why? Because Williams was the best player on the Four Star Cup winners, the St. Louis Scarecrows. Williams led the playoffs in scoring, putting up a jaw-dropping 14 points in just 11 games. The number 1 centre on the Scarecrows, Williams did it all in the playoffs, playing over 20 minutes a game while centreing the top line and playing special teams as well. You need your best players to step up in the playoffs, and Williams did just that. He was espeically dominant in the Crows' sweep of the Raptors in the finals. Bernard Freeman, also of the Scarecrows, deserves a shout for the MVP as well with 13 points in the postseason, including 3 game winning goals in the Scarecrows' eight wins. Other candidates for MVP include a pair of goalies, Alester Cain of the Scarecrows and Scottey Crawfling of the Colorado Raptors.

Task #3 - Create a game-day program cover for any playoff game.
[Image: 7hsJbHv.png]

Task #4 - Choose any game in the finals and write a short post game recap. Can be a summary of the goals scored, a turning point, an unsung hero profile, etc.

The Four Star Cup finals were played between the powerhouse St. Louis Scarecrows and the underdog Colorado Raptors. In game 1 of the finals, this talent disparity was obvious as the Scarecrows shutout the Raptors with a 2-0 win. Phillip Winter kicked off the finals with a bang, finding the back of the net on the powerplay just 2 minutes into the game. The Scarecrows scored even earlier in the 2nd period, as they brought the puck down the ice right after the opening faceoff before Brock Nuck slotted home to make it 2-0.  The Raptors had three powerplays on the night, but their powerplay looked lethatgic all night, and was a big factor in them not being able to build any momentum. St. Louis goalie Alester Cain was a brick wall all game, and he stopped 19 shots for the W and a well deserved first star.The two goalscorers Winter and Nuck received 2nd and 3rd star honours.

Task #5 - It's officially the offseason. Whether you just won the cup or didn't even make the playoffs, it's time to take a break and look toward the SHL draft. Tell us how you're spending your time.

After the Montreal Militia bowed out quickly of the SMJHL draft, Andreas went on a tour of North America, meeting with several SHL teams in advance of the upcoming SHL draft and taking in the sights and scenes along the way. After that, he head home to Norway to meet up with friends and family. It was a short break though, as Kvalheim immediately had to report to training camp for the upcoming IIHF tournaments. Kvalheim has been chosen to represent Scandinavia at the World Junior Championships, but he was also fortunate enough to crack Team Norway's roster for the World Championships.

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM by Meursault.)

Task 1
Top Five Playoff Blowouts:
While the S44 SMJHL playoffs were mostly close games, here’s 5 games where one team just dominated the other.
5. Round 1 Game 3: Montreal 5- Colorado 2
While a relatively close score, this game was anything but. Zivan Zidek was able to net two goals for Colorado in the 2nd, but aside from that Colorado’s offense was essentially neutered from the get go. Montreal never gave up more the 10 shots in a single period, and only allowed 2 shots for the entirety of the 1st period and 17 total. Montreal also drew 12 PIM out of COL, while only giving up 4. Derek Bohne led the way in goals for Montreal with 2.

4. Round 1 Game 4 Anchorage 6- Vancouver 3
A game that saw VAN’s goalie Johannes Leitner chased from the crease after letting in 4 goals in 14 shots would see Mika Mayfield and Dean Colt III being the difference makers for ANC. These two combined for 6 points, (4 goals and 2 assists), while Vegeta Muerto netted 1 goal and 2 assists for himself. ANC would have a pp of 50% and pk of 100%, while also leading in the hits (16) and faceoffs won (44) columns.
3 Round 2 Game 1 Vancouver 4- St. Louis 2
While not a true blowout win again, it’s the style in which VAN won this game that impresses us. St. Louis jumped out to a 2-0 lead early in the 2 period. From the 10 minute mark in the 2nd, Vancouver would push back by netting 3 goals by the end of the period. VAN would net another one midway in the third to put the final nail in the coffin.
2. Round 3 Game 4: St. Louis 5- Colorado 1
The final game. While Colorado was able to keep it close in the three games preceding this one, they ended up crashing and burning in the final game of the season. The onslaught starting midway in the first. At the end, St. Louis would post 35 shots on the poor Colorado goalies. St. Louis gave a true team effort, with 9 players earning a point
1. Round 1 Game 2 Anchorage-10 Vancouver 1
I mean, the score says it all. All but 5 players on the Armada earned a point, 3 players scored multiple goals including Eero Niemi , who got a hattrick and 2 assists. ANC put up 45 shots throughout the game and made both of VAN’s goalies have a sub-.800 SV%. They would also keep VAN’s pp to 0% while scoring 3 pp goals themselves. Ultimately, it would seem that ANC scored all of their goals in this game, as they would lose the series.

Task 2
I’d have to give the season MVP to Anchorage Armada’s Xena. Being apart of the illustrious “Armamas” Xena was 2nd on the team win points with 21 goals and 20 assists, +/- of 6, 60 hits and 16 shots blocked. Xena proved to be an incredible all-around player who always came up big when the team needed it most- you could even look to her impressive post season as more evidence for this point.

But even if Xena’s play could earn her MVP by itself, her leadership in the locker room should seal the deal for it. Xena was always willing to give a helping hand to those in need, and you could always count on her to lift team spirits when the morale was down. Because of this, the team, on many occasions, would rally behind her, helping Anchorage rally to clinch a playoff birth. And it’s because of this, being the heart and soul of the team, that Xena deserves to be the MVP.

task 3
[Image: kwxyWsA.png]

Task 4
For my unsung hero of game two of the 4 Star Cup, I’m going to have to go with Colorado’s goalie, Scottey Crawfling. Now here me out. Yes, the Raptors did lose this game, and Crawfling only had a save percentage of .875 (21 of 24), but in a game with a low amount of shots, save percentages really get skewed. Throughout the game he had a number of key saves that really bailed out some soft defensive plays, and for an intents and purposes, Scottey kept the Raptors within striking distance at all times. Even when the game went to overtime, and St. Louis started to pepper him with shots (7 shots in OT, compare to St. Louis’ 17 shots in regulation), Crawfling still gave Colorado ample time to win the game. Unfortunately, the Raptors offense cooled off at the end of the game, and couldn’t produce in OT, but Scottey Crawfling did everything he could to help his team win. And for that, Scottey Crawfling is my unsung hero of Game 2.

Task 5
Now that the season has ended many players will have the time to go on vacation, rest and recoup from the long season and all the wear and tear that comes along with it. However, the grind doesn’t stop for defenseman Jacob Geza. “Because Magyarország has no team in IIHF, I have to find other team to play for. Both Norway and Sweden ask me to come for tryout, so for my break I go to North Europe. I never been to North Europe so I am very happy to go. I leave for Copenhagen soon, and then from there I go to Stockholm for one week and Oslo for another. I hope I make one of the teams so I can keep playing in offseason. If I do, I play in World Junior and maybe IIHF until season start”.

[Image: Geza.gif]

sig credit: ml002, Reynolds 
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] | [Image: B4x6AQm.png]

Code:
Top 5 Pump Up Songs Used:
5. Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith. A strange choice to be sure, but the Anchorage Armada don't start a game without the soothing sounds of Steven Tyler. A pretty sweet group of people, if I had my say.

4. Jeopardy Theme Song - Jeopardy. Alright, I take back the "strange choice" comment I made earlier. Using a TV game show's main theme is an odd choice, but the folks in Colorado love to dab, roll, shake, floss, or whatever the new dance craze is, to the whole song. Cheers, Raptors.

3. Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden. It makes sense that the Raiders in Halifax would use this tune. The Raiders like to head bang to this classic metal tune.

2. Time of My Life - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes. The Vancouver Whalers are a classy (read: 80s) team. Their change room right before game time is both romantic and nostalgic, just like Dirty Dancing.

1. Purple Rain - Prince. I'm very proud for the Montreal Militia to all drop acid and listen to this classic Prince jam. I've even heard they start sweating purple. What a world!

Code:
That would have to be Andy Kerr. He is my MVP because he's the most valuable player to me. If it wasn't for him, I literally wouldn't even be typing this out. But I am, and he is. As for performance this season; it was a lacklulstre one in terms of points, that's for sure. Kerr managed to generate 13 points over the season. However, face offs were what I was after, so that's what I wanted to see. Definitely worked out as Kerr lead all rookies in FO% with 52% of draws won. But good possession leads to good offensive zone time and good scoring chances. Baby steps (I tell myself when I cry to sleep). Kerr was also unfortunately not very well defensively, have the team's second worst +/-. Kerr averaged 9.32 minutes a game to achieve all this. All in all, I am proud of the result from the build and look forward to seeing how Kerr performs over the coming seasons. #selfish #imsorry

Task #3 - Create a game-day program cover for any playoff game.

Code:
Game 4 of the second round between Vancouver and St. Louis was an important one for Andy Kerr. Vancouver struggling in the playoffs, critics suggesting that their presence in the playoffs was mere luck. The youngsters aimed to prove the critics wrong. Andy Kerr was a recent draftee (S44) and was over-joyed to join the great company that the Vancouver Whalers had to offer. The season went about as expected for Kerr. However, the playoffs is where Kerr wanted to show his value and merit. He gained all his points in the series between St. Louis and Vancouver.

ONTO THE GAME, THOUGH...

St. Louis opened the scoring when  Rowdy Smithers  snapped home his second of the playoffs midway through the first. The Kerr-Kastrba-Considerations line struck back at the next opportunity less than a minute later to tie the game and keep the Scarecrows from taking momentum. This was an important moment for Kerr and company.

Code:
Oh. Easy. What I'm doing over the offseason is gaining weight. I'm hoping to put on a 100 pounds, so it's gonna be a food-filled one. We're talking Froot Loops Birthday Cake flavour, lots of bacon wrapped, butter dipped, hot sauce drenched hot dogs, I'll probably have 20 steaks over the next couple months, aim to drink close to my body weight in beer, gonna get some candy canes and eat cotton candy off of them - cotton candy canes, basically. Oh yeah. Diabetes is coming swiftly toward me.

Hopefully I can skate it off come season-opener? Sounds safe.

If my corpse doesn't fit in a coffin when I die, please float me to the moon in a hot air balloon. Peace out.

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn