Create Account

AOV Preparing in the heart of Russia for upcoming SMJHL Draft
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM by Wally.)

The Winter breeze doesn't blow quite as softly as it did once in Minneapolis, MN, when he once skated on the ponds playing city hockey as a squirt with his sister.  Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova, a product of Olli O'Koivu and Pietra Volkova, knew his path the moment he put on skates.  Growing up in the shadows of two SHL All-Star caliber players has never been an easy task, but in doing so it has led to plenty of exposure on the ice.

Now back in St. Petersberg, Russia, Aleksi continues to prepare for the upcoming WJC and SMJHL Draft Combine in what will surely be a kickoff to a very fruitful career.

"If you were to tell me that I would be here preparing to go on the exact route of my parents, it wouldn't be a surprise."  Aleksi explained.  

"I had the great opportunity to learn from not just one parent on the ice, but both.  My Mother obviously provided me that work ethic needed to launch my career and her sheer hockey understanding has lended to my quick development.  My Father, while surrounded in controversy at a key point of his career, his diligence and desire to win really constructed the second half of what was a decorated career."

Pietra Volkova, a forward with the Winnipeg Jets, continues to plug away with the Jets season after season with a decline in sight, but still a chance to play in the same league as her son remains a possibility.

"Playing against or with my Mother would be an interesting opportunity.  She used to flat out embarrass my sister, Anastasia, and I on a daily basis.  One never had to ask her to try harder... She typically re-instilled humility, while at the same time teaching Ana the same time.  It typically was my Father teaching and instructing myself, in having a natural interest in goaltending."

[Image: 4-20-Purdy-c.png]

Olli O'Koivu, former goaltender for the Minnesota Chiefs and Portland Admirals, was an annual contender for the McBride Award and typically played an essential role each season in various playoff hunts.  Amassing 146 wins in only 6 seasons as a full-time starter, O'Koivu amassed a collection of hardware in his shortened career.  Winning the Honcho, McBride, and Richan awards... He added a Challenge Cup in S39 to go along with numerous All-Star appearances and four conference championships (2 with Portland and 2 with Minnesota), with 43 post-season wins.

"I have alot to work towards.  Dad was successful in the seasons he was in the league.  It wore on him and I'm sure under different circumstances he would still be playing today.  His benchmarks aren't my overall goal though. This goalie has goals, or shutouts, that will far stretch into an elongated career as my aspirations are to play well past the time frame of my father.  He made many decisions that ultimately weren't for the best of his overall career.  Between benching himself in the S34 campaign in efforts to give Portland the best opportunity to win (Mark Harter) to the suspension of S36 then to the electing to sign as a back-up in Minnesota, all of those decisions weighed on a career that stalled in terms of a desire to set records.  

[Image: 810_1111.jpg]

"I think the thing I will carry into my career is the approach that if you have a goal you need to make decisions that will position you to continue to march towards that goal.  Electing to take a back up position doesn't fit in one's cards that wants to pursue record books in any form.  You absolutely have to make the business decisions to position yourself in the best opportunity to succeed.  That means making hard decisions and not looking back."

Aleksi, a considerably bigger presence in size between the pipes than the former O'Koivu, has made it a precedence to build his strengths around the core aspects of goaltending and look beyond his weakness.  Size, unlike his father, is not a concern of his as he stands 6'3" tall and weighs in at nearly 230 pounds which both exceedingly surpass the size of his father.

Olli weighed in on the recent training camp measurements, "You know, I never thought highly of size.  I spoke on it many times and always felt fundamentals are the most important.  I can see now why people look for these intangibles though.  Alek has a benefit in the crease to use the finely sharpened tools along with a frame that takes up more net.  If he can use the size as a positioning tool, then it will make him even better.  It isn't about when he will be ready... He is ready, it is more about where and how hard he wants to fight to be successful in this league of oil and water."

Projections for the upcoming SMJHL Draft are a bit unknown as there is a deepened need for goalies in Juniors.  When you have over half of the league looking for a netminder you now the demand is going to be there, but you then have other various positional players stepping out in the draft who would surely make an impact as well.  So what this does is starting to knock around possible draft boards a bit as some teams try and see where prospects could fall and take them accordingly.  

"When you get the question repeatedly of where do you want to end up... My common answer is on the winning end of a challenge cup.  How I get there isn't my choosing... How I play a role in whatever opportunity I get is my responsibility.  I'm not really in a desire for a rebuild if it doesn't fit my timeline.  I want to win... I want to win now.  I'm going to bust myself pushing to be the caliber of player needed to set records I want to set."

With the end of the season quickly approaching, the dawn nears as the Russian prepares his case for the upcoming draft.  It is clear his focus isn't on where he is drafted, but in continuing to aspire to make a rapid jump to becoming an impact season after season.

"The color of sweater means little to me... I want to win.  I want to be a player that a coach and GM can depend on... One that develops in a way that they don't have to worry about game after game."

----
Presser time:  Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova is now open for any questions in regards to the upcoming draft, training or career plans.  Thanks!

Describe to be more your ideal junior career?
That is really a difficult one. I want to make an impact in the SHL in the near future. If I get drafted by a team with an immediate need then I will definitely be ready for that time to come. If there isn't an immediate need then I hope to really be in a position with a solid team around me in Juniors while I continue to develop. Like I said, winning is first and foremost... Where I'm needed is where I want to win.

How do you plan on honouring your parents legacy in the SHL?
Honoring my parents... I've never really thought about doing anything other than being the player they once viewed themselves as. Elite... If I can reach that level, I think that is a for sure way to honor them both and their testament to hard work in this league. It will take time... and I look forward to the challenge.

How many goals will Nikolai Evans score against you?
Hmmmmm... just stay away from my sister... or wait... this is getting interesting. Son?

How do you plan on maintaining a good save percentage and goals against average when it seems like Simon T likes to shit in the open mouths of goalies across the league?
SimonT is a funny funny dude… Just when you think you should be getting better you start sucking more ass. It is a long process, but through simming… studying… While goalies themselves think they are at the whim of the sim (which I totally agree with you at times), we are moreover at the whim of our General Managers and their line strats. In addition their ability to plant the talent around each of us so there is support in the strat they choose to play. Hence why we see maxed goalies struggling… There is much more than just building a goalie and he will randomly make saves. I got so tied up in the personal stats with Olli, that I would get disappointed even though we were winning. I mean my best seasons were prior to my peaked TPE… explain that. Just kidding… it was what it was and @Baelor Swift had strats that pushed Minnesota to win and that ultimately is what I wanted. With AOV, I want to chase the wins record… It will take a shit ton of time, luck and consideration during free agency time periods to look for the best opportunities to win if a change is needed. I’m excited… I’m also willing to do the work necessary to become SHL ready as soon as possible.

Who are some great SHL goalies you may model your game after? Or are you going to blaze your own trail?
Where can you really start here... I would definitely have to look towards Hunter Wong with Calgary. Look at his list of accomplishments... Another one that comes to mind would most definitely be Brett Broadway. Both absolute dynamos in their own regard and both found success often. Obviously I have to put my pops in there... He had a pretty nice long list of accomplishments as well. 2nd on the win list for playoff victories is never a bad thing and playing only 6 full-time seasons, that is pretty impressive.

What did you learn from developing your last goalie that may give you an edge this time around?
Certain attributes can wait. Last time I wasted so much cash in upgrading the wrong attributes and then wasted even more redistributing more cash into the wrong attributes on a hunch. This time around I have a plan and am going to stick to it long term.

What age group of female fans do think your jersey will be a best seller for? If I had to guess... I'd say 65+   Wink
How old is @BarnabasCollins ? Cause yeah... most definitely that age group Wink

Are you going to add these answers to your OP so you get full credit for all the words?
Always going to order me around I see... I would anything for a parm to be honest.

(1,087 words for article/ 714 for presser media)

[Image: Wally.png]

Describe to be more your ideal junior career?

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

How many goals will Nikolai Evans score against you?

[Image: zdenkoberanek.gif]
Sigs by @enigmatic, @Geekusoid, @sve7en  and @Wasty 
Zach Evans
 | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Pogos or nuggets?

[Image: Faceoffs-sig1.gif]

12-10-2018, 03:14 PMNH4JP Wrote: Pogos or nuggets?

NH4JP with the out of nowhere return to the forums. <3 missed u.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

12-10-2018, 03:07 PMKing Wrote: Describe to be more your ideal junior career?
That is really a difficult one. I want to make an impact in the SHL in the near future. If I get drafted by a team with an immediate need then I will definitely be ready for that time to come. If there isn't an immediate need then I hope to really be in a position with a solid team around me in Juniors while I continue to develop. Like I said, winning is first and foremost... Where I'm needed is where I want to win.

Honoring my parents... I've never really thought about doing anything other than being the player they once viewed themselves as. Elite... If I can reach that level, I think that is a for sure way to honor them both and their testament to hard work in this league. It will take time... and I look forward to the challenge.

How do you plan on maintaining a good save percentage and goals against average when it seems like Simon T likes to shit in the open mouths of goalies across the league?

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

12-10-2018, 03:13 PMztevans Wrote: How many goals will Nikolai Evans score against you?

Hmmmmm... just stay away from my sister... or wait... this is getting interesting. Son?

12-10-2018, 03:14 PMNH4JP Wrote: Pogos or nuggets?

Oh hello Mister... Nice to see you Smile Nuggs... As a former friend used to tell me... "A little side nugg fixes everything."

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2018, 04:39 PM by Wally.)

12-10-2018, 04:21 PMSlashACM Wrote: How do you plan on maintaining a good save percentage and goals against average when it seems like Simon T likes to shit in the open mouths of goalies across the league?

SimonT is a funny funny dude… Just when you think you should be getting better you start sucking more ass. It is a long process, but through simming… studying… While goalies themselves think they are at the whim of the sim (which I totally agree with you at times), we are moreover at the whim of our General Managers and their line strats. In addition their ability to plant the talent around each of us so there is support in the strat they choose to play. Hence why we see maxed goalies struggling… There is much more than just building a goalie and he will randomly make saves. I got so tied up in the personal stats with Olli, that I would get disappointed even though we were winning. I mean my best seasons were prior to my peaked TPE… explain that. Just kidding… it was what it was and @Baelor Swift had strats that pushed Minnesota to win and that ultimately is what I wanted. With AOV, I want to chase the wins record… It will take a shit ton of time, luck and consideration during free agency time periods to look for the best opportunities to win if a change is needed. I’m excited… I’m also willing to do the work necessary to become SHL ready as soon as possible.

12-10-2018, 04:39 PMWally Wrote:
12-10-2018, 04:21 PMSlashACM Wrote: How do you plan on maintaining a good save percentage and goals against average when it seems like Simon T likes to shit in the open mouths of goalies across the league?

SimonT is a funny funny dude… Just when you think you should be getting better you start sucking more ass.  It is a long process, but through simming… studying… While goalies themselves think they are at the whim of the sim (which I totally agree with you at times), we are moreover at the whim of our General Managers and their line strats.  In addition their ability to plant the talent around each of us so there is support in the strat they choose to play.  Hence why we see maxed goalies struggling… There is much more than just building a goalie and he will randomly make saves.  I got so tied up in the personal stats with Olli, that I would get disappointed even though we were winning.  I mean my best seasons were prior to my peaked TPE… explain that.  Just kidding… it was what it was and @Baelor Swift had strats that pushed Minnesota to win and that ultimately is what I wanted.  With AOV, I want to chase the wins record… It will take a shit ton of time, luck and consideration during free agency time periods to look for the best opportunities to win if a change is needed.  I’m excited… I’m also willing to do the work necessary to become SHL ready as soon as possible.

Wow very insightful. I still blame Simon for my shortcomings but that's a different story ._.

Good luck to you and here's to a long career

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Who are some great SHL goalies you may model your game after? Or are you going to blaze your own trail?

What did you learn from developing your last goalie that may give you an edge this time around?

What age group of female fans do think your jersey will be a best seller for? If I had to guess... I'd say 65+   Wink

Are you going to add these answers to your OP so you get full credit for all the words?

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

12-11-2018, 12:11 AMSteelhead77 Wrote: Who are some great SHL goalies you may model your game after? Or are you going to blaze your own trail?
Where can you really start here... I would definitely have to look towards Hunter Wong with Calgary. Look at his list of accomplishments... Another one that comes to mind would most definitely be Brett Broadway. Both absolute dynamos in their own regard and both found success often. Obviously I have to put my pops in there... He had a pretty nice long list of accomplishments as well. 2nd on the win list for playoff victories is never a bad thing and playing only 6 full-time seasons, that is pretty impressive.

Certain attributes can wait. Last time I wasted so much cash in upgrading the wrong attributes and then wasted even more redistributing more cash into the wrong attributes on a hunch. This time around I have a plan and am going to stick to it long term.

How old is @BarnabasCollins ? Cause yeah... most definitely that age group Wink

Always going to order me around I see... I would anything for a parm to be honest.