Create Account

Archetype Reworks and More.

Alright folks. I am about to talk about the elephant in the room and fully expect a lot of push back with this, but here we go.

The current 'player builder' and 'archetype' system remains to be...

1) Broken
2) Boring
3) Offers no individual identity
4) Creates the same players league wide, over and over again because well, certain builds just work better than others.
5) Everyone has the same strengths if they know what their doing.

Lets take a look at the skills offered by the robust system of STHS.

Penalty shot - A TPE dump for those who get generally over 1600 TPE, Useless stat really unless you have 90 in it.

Fighting - No one uses this unless they want to make a player strictly to pile on PIM which most teams don't want on the their roster making it effectively useless and really only helps you try to WIN more fights than draw
Checking - Anything above 60 start to become overkill and the amount of hits recorded vs the amount of PIM you take can be argued isn't worth the invest for your player or the team and literally 85% of the leagues normally chosen weakness.

Discipline - Does anyone really bother to get this past even 70? Seeing as we start at 62, and by investing in it to try and off set your checking, doesnt make you check more 'effectively' just less. Whats the point?

Endurance - Really has MINIMAL effect, seriously. It's next to useless. As long as you have 70-80 your fine.

Faceoffs - Good bless all the centers around the league, you guys are by far the most screwed position by a landslide. You have a skill that really necessary to the success of the position that you have to invest at least something in, thus making your player the hardest to build with TPE out of all the player types.

Strength - I've been lead to beleive this has some effect on resisting hits, but seeing some players just going max height + weight and having next to no strength sort of makes it's overall usefulness less than stellar. Has some minor influence on face offs success too.

So with most of the truly pointless skills that no one really should be wasting a 'strength' with (unless you want to have a sligth advantage at center for faceoffs + are a TPE god), lets look at the remaining skills almost everyone takes, make the current 'variety' oh so interesting for the league.

Scoring - Passing - Skating - The main way STHS works is a mix of skill and decision making. These are your major 3 offensive decision makers. You have 99 in all 3, your technically going to be better in them? But with all 3 dominating the same values, your player will have trouble trying to find their game and what they want to do. Skate, pass or shot more often than not. So, the word that is passed down usually is to pick 1 or 2 of these 3 as a strength. Everyone does.

So I'm willing to bet, most of the 'succesful' player in the league has 99 in one of these categories with the other 2 being one of the first stats to 90, or well 99 as well.

Puck handling - Probably one of the most important 2ndary stats for a defenseman, it's worth is well known and often taken (and really should be) for most offensive/ defensive builds.

Defense - THe best stat in the SIM. If defense is NOT a strength for your player, you are at a disadvantage immediately. Not only is it good for rounding out your player on both ends of the ice, it's major decision making tool that allows your player to more often than not make better offensive plays as well.

So here we have it. 5 skills to ultimately choose from to make your player successful in the league. Sure there are some respected "2 way builds" but if you as a user want ANY shot to win any major awards you need to lean towards and offensive flair. A defenseman who puts up 35 points, has good defensive looking numbers will not be even looked at if we have 2 or 3 in the 40's + for points, same with forwards. (1 defense award is a sin to begin with).

I can personally say as a once heavily active and invested user, my drive to recreate is almost next to none, why? The time invested vs reward for this league is so low. With everyone built the same, it becomes hard to stand out for the role you have hoped to craft your player for when everyone is the same as you are. It becomes a matter of having the perfect build from the start, the knowledge and praying to the sim gods at times.

The league is becoming stagnant with lack of player variety and true archetypes.

So what then?

I think we need harder skill caps, and more defined TPE earning.

Here is a rough example of some ideas I had.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=216619021

These values are no where final, but there to give an idea of how this could work, to really give an identity to different player types when we always talk about them. Sniper, Playmaker, Defensive defenseman.

Picking your archetype would BE your strengths, and offer some true varierty to roles on a team.

Also if you look carefully the following 2 ideas are implimented as well.

1) A Hard TPE earning cap. No surprises.
- This means that no player can earn more than this amount per season per career. I am not saying you tell them no more. More so that you have the numbers actually laid out and clear. AC + TRAIN + POINT TASK etc etc add up to say 135 per season. 1350 before regression. + maybe some extra from fantasy and predictions, thats it. Again this isn't saying "hey I earned 135 tpe, no point in doing no more tasks" in that we should know the total tpe available per season and build the archetype system around those limits.

2) About 90% of junior players do not get called up til second season. Make Juniors 2 seasons long before they are drafted.
- This creates more valuable draft picks
- Makes players have enough TPE to actually step into and SHL line up after draft
- Gives the players 1 extra season regression timer free (when paired with a more TPE earning system as stated above)
3) Increase TPE earning rate first 2 seasons, reduce during next 10 in SHL before regression, Increase Regression harshness near the tail end
- As we can see with a few S19 player (Esa on CGY) he is essentially able to hover around 700 TPE indefinetly currently, which is broken as hell. This needs to be addressed ASAP or I will 100% abuse this for LKS.
- Increasing the TPE in first 2 seasons will allow junior players to feel true progression fast keeping them hooked as they start to put up big numbers in the minors (which should have its TPE cap raised above 350 by the way in conjunction with the new archetypes I have laid out int he spread sheet). and once again, come the draft gives those teams with a top 10 pick a SHL ready player instead of someone who might have to wait 1-2 more seasons in juniors in order just to play on the 3rd or 4th line, and lose them to inactivity.

Now for a few smaller changes I really wish people would at least consider moving forward.....

1) Again - Harder % loss near the END of the regression scale. People shouldn't be able to keep a player indefinitely, unless you don't care about broken records really, meaning their legacy is broken.

2) Juniors for 2 seasons......no one goes up after one. Only the odd recreate.

3) Faceoffs for centers should maybe get a buff for chosing to be a center. Seems rather unfair to pick a position because of loving an NHL player then finding out you need to earn 100+ extra TPE to make that skill worthwhile. Maybe start it at 60?

4) Put harsher restrictions on strengths able to be selected in SIM - Don't allow Snipers, or playmakers to max Defense for example. It's little in the end game, but still could add some variety.

5) Get rid of the damn Capped TPE - its pointless, just know how much you give out a season on a total, and make a certain % of it easily obtainable like the point of that cap is.

Now I know many of this will most likely be met with hostility because it's CHANGE.

I am not saying my suggested numbers for new archetypes are correct, not in the slightest, it's a canvas to look at for where my brain is.

How do we get to where we want to go? Testing. Testing. Testing.

What I ask now, is would anyone else be interested to help in this endevour? I feel like this would all truly be for the betterment of the league long term, but to do this alone would truly be pointless. So I ask those of you who are passionate about the league, will you help? Can you help?

Don't be afraid to chime in here, and please try and keep things somewhat constructive please and open minded, also I will be on discord as per usual, for feel free to DM me there as I will get back to you faster. Thanks for the time and reading, I really hope this can spark a conversation to push the league towards some needed change for the balance and betterment of the league.

Feel free also to ask whatever questions you have to pick my brain as well. Will be glad to answer.

Discord - Rabidsponge#6852

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

some cool ideas here

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

Archetypes are broken as fuk.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

these are mostly all great but you just know that HO gonna look at this, shrug and say "2 much change"

I would love to see archetypes actually mean something. We talked about this on discord and I would like to see something happen to em.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

12-12-2018, 07:18 PMSamee Wrote: these are mostly all great but you just know that HO gonna look at this, shrug and say "2 much change"

I mean even if 25% of these come to fruition in a timely manner it would still be a win for me, and I feel the league as a whole.

Its the next big step we need to make to progress forward I feel.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 07:23 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

It’s going to take a real push to keep away the old guard and the boo birds from striking down major changes to the archetypes... but LKS is right and we all know it. Let’s be bold and seriously consider intelligent changes..which there are def. some here with this post.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

/shrug "2 much change"

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

12-12-2018, 07:22 PMMike Izzy Wrote: It’s going to take a real push to keep away the old guard and the boo birds from striking down major changes to the archetypes... but LKS is right and we all know it. Let’s be bold and seriously consider intelligent changes..which there are def. some here with this post.

Thanks Izzy appreciate it.

Again I don't expect this to be the exact template for us to follow, but as a starting point. A guide to what we COULD be......

I feel having more hard restrictions and 'class' identity would create a more diverse and fun league than the current sameness we have across all levels.

I really want the Juniors Idea to be considered to be honest as well....

Lets be honest with ourselves. Minus recreates who hate juniors, who comes up after 1 year? You suffer 1 year regress to auto be sent back to to junior? Seems not fair? (but a tpe scale change would have to be considered with this idea). Plus no one wants to play on an SHL roster with 330 TPE.

12-12-2018, 07:23 PMTheDangaZone Wrote: /shrug "2 much change"

What if there was info to back this all up?

Tests showing it works?

Or even if some of these could make sense NOW with the bigger ideas being pushed back until there is proof it works. Kind of lazy to just write it off with that response no?

I don't feel like I've been around for long enough to actually have a good grasp of the issues at hand. What I do know is that I made a horrible player when creating it and if it wasn't for being able to change stuff before approval I would most likely quit or recreated (Defense weakness it start with).

I like the idea of two seasons to draft rookies. It makes the rookies be able to show what kind of player they are looking to make, and give them more time to make an impression.

I had no idea about the SHL team or who played where when draft came around. And I don't think anyone really got an impression about what my player would become after the first season.
Even after my second season I realized my build would be sub optimal and changed it for 12m and ditched my plan to switch late in career.

I think archtypes and two season before draft is a great suggestion even if there's still stuff to iron out.

The delayed draft would shown the true topntier players pretty easy as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

RETIRED

12-12-2018, 07:28 PMRabidsponge21 Wrote:
12-12-2018, 07:23 PMTheDangaZone Wrote: /shrug "2 much change"

What if there was info to back this all up?

Tests showing it works?

Or even if some of these could make sense NOW with the bigger ideas being pushed back until there is proof it works. Kind of lazy to just write it off with that response no?

What if this was just a response to samee who has no idea what he's talking about?

We're looking into everything still and discussing what we like and don't like about the system you put in. Finals week for a lot of us in HO so some things have taken a bit of dive in activity this week until we can all get our exams sorted out and get back to full activity on discussing stuff.

I wish we could have more individuality in builds, instead of everyone maxing everything out and then it's residentsleeper because everyone has the exact same builds.

there's some good stuff here rabid.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

12-12-2018, 07:31 PMTheDangaZone Wrote:
12-12-2018, 07:28 PMRabidsponge21 Wrote: What if there was info to back this all up?

Tests showing it works?

What if this was just a response to samee who has no idea what he's talking about?

We're looking into everything still and discussing what we like and don't like about the system you put in. Finals week for a lot of us in HO so some things have taken a bit of dive in activity this week until we can all get our exams sorted out and get back to full activity on discussing stuff.

Sorry TDZ didn't mean to come across as....well cross with your response lol

12-12-2018, 07:34 PMRabidsponge21 Wrote:
12-12-2018, 07:31 PMTheDangaZone Wrote: What if this was just a response to samee who has no idea what he's talking about?

Sorry TDZ didn't mean to come across as....well cross with your response lol

No no you're good. I know lots of people are interested in archetype reworks and everything. It's been something I had taken to heart in HO for a few seasons now but just hadn't had time to really figure out what would work or wouldn't. Luckily my time is about to open up a lot more.