Create Account

Earlybird PT - Growing Up Quick

Draft day is one that you'll always remember - but it's the people and places that got you here that are most important. Tell us about your journey to the SMJHL draft: your family, your minor hockey team, your hometown, and/or whatever had the biggest influence on you.

Requirements

Written option: Must include five things that shaped your player as a person.
Graphic option (can be a billboard, a feature magazine cover, whatever): Must include 1 player render.

Reward

2 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S45 SMJHL Rookies (S46 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline
the start of the SMJHL draft

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

A bit of an unorthodox approach no doubt, but I'll try this......

---

Dr. Corey T. Lahey
Sports Psychologist
Scouting Combine Evaluation
Subject: Nick Brain, Age 16, Right Winger Prospect from Grande Prairie Gryphons (Elite Bantam)

Notes:

-Upbringing: Was born in Shrewsbury, England, to Jolene and Martin Brain. Jolene is a big hockey fan and got Nick skating early. Nick took to the game easily enough and played as a youth for the local teams in Shrewsbury, often in higher age brackets. Nick regards his parents well, they seem to be good hockey parents (a rarity!) who don't drive him too hard but drive him enough. Moved to Alberta at age 13 for his parent's work, and also to play hockey against tougher competition.

-Personality: Nick came off as very humble and modest, perhaps overly so. According to scouting reports he was regarded as a low-key, stabilizing leader on his teams. Other teammates I've interviewed regard him highly. Is very adaptable to changing circumstances, and hes had to be, as he was shuttled around many different teams in Alberta during his teenage years. Simply strives to be drafted rather than striving to be the very best. May be that he feels he recognizes his role on the team he ends up with, but possibly has a lack of ambition?

-Teamwork: Nick has said in his early days he had to frequently do all the work in terms of scoring, and never really learned the finer art of playmaking. Seems to want to work well with his teammates, but finds himself subconsciously hogging the puck and isn't always confident passing. Has mentioned hes tried to practise being a better passer, but feels it won't ever be a strong point of his game.

-Left-Handed: Nick joked that some of his quirks and oddities are as a result of being naturally left-handed. Nick does believe this gives him an advantage to his shooting though, as a left handed shot cutting in from the right wing.

-Size: Nick has said he was always the biggest kid in class, until recently when he started playing hockey with more kids just as big if not bigger than him. Nick's always felt self-conscious about his size but is coming out of that now. Measurements taken over the past year indicate his growth spurts may have ended?

Interview with Guy Zheng

Q: We are here with Guy Zheng, a young SMJHL prospect that just finished the first round of the SMJHL Draft Combine. Guy, tell us how you think you did.
A: I thought I skated well out there but there's some room for improvement.

Q: Great. We're doing a spotlight series on our prospects ahead of draft day. Could you tell us a bit about what brought you into hockey?
A: Hockey isn't exactly popular in England, but my dad's Canadian and grew up playing hockey so he kind of introduced me. I grew up in Brighton, a place where it's acceptable to be weird and be yourself, so I was never teased or felt pressured for playing hockey instead of football. So family and my hometown are a big part of my upbringing.

Q: Tell us about the clubs you've played with growing up. Is there one in particular that shaped your playstyle?
A: I didn't take hockey too seriously until I played with the Oxford Junior Devils in the U18 South 3 League. The coach wanted me to take the lead as the quarterback of the first powerplay unit and use my passing and scoring skills to help coordinate the team, and that carried over into the rest of my play.

Q: Who are your idols or role models? Do you model your play after anyone?
A: Definitely Shea Weber. I always wanted to be the guy that had a slapshot that would make goalies fear for their lives. I'm a big Canucks fan and I was a huge Sami Salo fan as well, that guy was made of steel.

Q: Any shoutouts you want to give to people who have helped you along the way?
A: Mostly the people I've mentioned already. I'd like to thank my dad for introducing me to hockey, my hometown for teaching me to be myself, the Oxford Junior Devils for teaching me how to play well, Shea Weber for his slapshot, and Sami Salo for teaching me to never give up.

Q: Thanks for the interview, Guy. Good luck with the draft.
A: Thanks for having me.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

When told "Give us five things that shaped your life, or you don't get to improve as a player." Vivian LeBlanc mentioned these things.

First she told us that her faith shaped her life. She was in church every Sunday and it impacted her in a big way. Second she mentioned her family. You already know how important her brother was in her decision to pursue a hockey career, but really her entire family taught her to believe she could do anything she set her mind to. Third, growing up in Texas shaped her. The lack of hockey rinks slowed her development. However, the everything is bigger in Texas attitude gave her confidence to choose a sport much more suitable for lumbering Canadians. Fourth seeing her friends make professional teams added to her confidence. Last her height influenced her. She had to learn a different style of goalkeeping to make up for her lack of height.

[Image: 1542603263658.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2018, 08:42 AM by O4L.)

Q: Today we're joined by Parker Smeb who is one of the infamous Smeb quadruplets from South Korea. Parker, what was growing up in South Korea like as an aspiring SHL player?
A: It was definitely interesting, hockey in Korea is still a growing sport and there was definitely a lot of pressure on myself to play an E-Sport like League or Overwatch instead but I just wasn't able to play tanks. Ultimately, my inability to play tanks caused me to try twice as hard to make it as a hockey player so it turned out pretty well for me.

Q: Was there anyone you looked up to growing up in South Korea?
A: Yes, that player would definitely be Adam Kylrad. Although Adam was never the most skilled on-ice player he tried hard and that definitely inspired me to try hard. I saw Adam win the cup in S17 and after that, I thought to myself "If a guy like this can play in the SHL and win, why can't I?". So he was a big inspiration.

Q Tell me about the quadruplets. How did having three brothers positively affect you growing up? We've also heard rumors about more Smeb brothers being on the way, care to comment?
A: Growing up with my brothers was an interesting experience, to say the least. The level of competition growing up in South Korea was not always the best so having brothers to compete against definitely helped me improve my game. Regarding your second question, it's entirely possible that more of our brothers will make the jump to the SMJHL in the future after visa issues are sorted out. Who knows how many brothers we could have lying around?

Q: Did you ever consider making the jump to North America earlier on in your career?
A: I got quite a few offers but I just never felt the motivation to leave my lesser skilled brothers behind in South Korea. Honestly, we almost didn't make the jump to the SMJHL at all since we were really hoping to avoid having to move to NA before the SHL draft. Isn't it kinda silly how we have 22 teams across the SMJHL/SHL and not one is based outside of North America?

Q: With all the new blood coming into the SMJHL from South Korea one has to ask if a South Korea IIHF team could be on the way?
A: Being able to represent South Korea in smaller tournaments has been the greatest experience of my life. We've all seen how South Korea dominates every global E-Sport that they commit to so I think that obviously makes South Korea one of the top potential candidates for expansion if IIHF decides to expand. The talent level is definitely there and I'm sure we'd have no problem recruiting players for our IIHF team. Competing against Canada in an IIHF gold medal game has always been my dream.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Q. You're the son of former SHL'er, Brennan Kennedy. He seemed to go down in flames in the midpoint of his career, do you think you have the drive to make this a full time career?

A. Absolutley, I believe I have a level of dedication and drive my father never had, its well known that he had many other things on his plate, but I've taken it upon myself to just focus on my hockey career and that's it.

Q. You're a completely different player then your father was, he was a playmaking winger and you're a big bodied offensive defensemen. How did you end up there?

A. Well growing up, everyone always wanted to be a high scoring forward and I found I was able to have more icetime if I played D, also I took a bit of my father's skill and translated it to my game allowing me to control the play in the offensive zone from the blue line.

Q. You were born in Montreal, but claim Austria as your home, how come?/b]

A. Even though Montreal has always been like a home to me, I'm still very connected with my family in Austria. After watching so many international games over the years and cheering like crazy, it would feel weird to putt any other flag on my jersey. I cant wait for the opportunity to try and help Austria bring the gold home.

[B] You've played on international ice for many years now, are you at all worried about playing on a smaller surface?

A. Not at all, I think my game will translate very well to the smaller ice. The big surface is nice for being able to use some finesse to find my way through the other team, but I think the smaller ice will really allow my passing game and ability to control the game to shine.

Q. Any preference on where you go in the draft in a couple days?

A. Well, honestly I'm just happy to go anywheres and get the opportunity to play in the biggest junior league out there, obviously Montreal has a special tie to me, but mo matter where I end up I'm prepared to give it my all and show whoever drafts me that it isnt a mistake.

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

Scouting Report on Michael Scarn, Czechoslovakian, Season 45 SMJHL Prospect:

Position: Center

Skill Strengths: Speed skating ability is a major major plus. This is easily his greatest strength on the ice. Whenever Scarn goes out there with his mop that he uses as his stick, he can really fly. You can hear him saying "mop the ice" repeatedly like a crazed demon on every single breakaway opportunity, taught to him by the legendary coach Cherokee Jack. Strange quirk but it works out well for him and gets him flying.

Skill Weaknesses: Passing ability is weak, along with checking ability. Scarn is a natural shoot first type player so passing is not his first instinct. Tape of his checks on Toby Flenderson, animal rapist, demonstrate a harsh technique that can really injure opponents. You can see the video displayed proudly in Scarn's highlight tape, which alludes to the fact that Scarn does not recognize this as a weakness. Expect Scarn to spend some significant time in the penalty box if he does not work on improving checking.

Personality Strengths: Good manager, makes plenty of friends, terrific at tying yarn. Loves his family life. Goalscoring celebration, The Scarn, delights teammates and crowd.

Personality Weaknesses: Disrupts flow of game by engaging in impromptu shootouts with enemies of the state. Goldenface clearly is still around. 

In conclusion:
1. Cherokee Jack shapes his style of play immensely
2. Poor checking technique from years of putting Toby Flenderson into the wall
3. Great manager after years of working in the paper industry, glue guy in the locker room
4. His unique goal celebration, The Scarn, gets his teammates excited and boosts morale for the team and fanbase: definitely a unique intangible asset
5. Checkered history means disruptive play on the ice occasionally when shootouts happen 

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

Birmingham Boy Attempts to Crack the SHL - Daily Star Sports

Next Thursday sees the holding of the annual SMJHL draft, an event in which all the biggest minor league hockey teams of North America acquire youngsters into their rosters. This is the penultimate rung to being drafted into the prestigious SHL 1 season later. Young Perry Morgan of Birmingham will be many of the young skaters waiting for their name to be called out on Draft Day. We spoke with Perry online as he found some time out of his busy schedule.

Q: So Perry! Thursday is the big day. How are you feeling? 
PM: Uhh. That's a tough one. It's a huge class this year, biggest in league history. A lot of guys who aren't bad are gonna end up on the bottom of some team's depth charts. Way too close to call. 

Q: How have you been getting ahead of the crop, to maybe put some reputation behind your name? 
PM: I've already spoken to scouts from all of the SMJHL teams, discussing what i'd bring to the team. Being not very well known from England is a bit of a shot in the foot. 

Q: Ice Hockey is a relatively obscure sport here in the UK, how did you get into it, and more importantly, playing it?
PM: It all started when I was 5. My parents were big football fans and i'm pretty sure I thought that was the only sport. One day I was flicking through the TV and found a Ice Hockey match on some weird channel. I was fascinated and enjoyed it. I never really watched Football with my parents so this was an eye opener. I bugged my mum to take me ice skating regularly. Eventually I was confident on my feet and had a stick in my hand. 

Q: Fascinating. How did you get into playing at a league level?
PM: Once I was confident with myself on the ice, my mum signed me up for a kids class in Coventry (home of the Blaze). I stayed there playing hockey through Blaze's youth affiliates and eventually into their NIHL team.

Q: Coventry is a great place to learn the sport. You play defence, how did that come to be?
PM: I was always quite a hefty kid, but when I got on the ice it turns out I wasn't a bad skater at all. My coach at the time pulled me aside and said that i'd make a great D-man. I wasn't too sure at first, I was playing right wing and feeling pretty confident about. I caved though and I haven't looked back since. I fit into the role nicely. 

Q: Being as you're not from a hockey town, what will you do for support across the pond?
PM: At one point in my progress through the Blaze, their social media manager sat down with me and helped me build a fan-page. It worked and dare I say it helped build recognition for the sport. I see more and more Blaze jerseys in Birmingham every day!

Q: That's great. The sport really deserves more recognition over here. For my final question, what prompted you to go over to America for the SHL, rather than stick with the Blaze into the Elite league?
PM: Well honestly, I heard a whiff that there was a player shortage for this season. Only problem is that so did everyone else with the size of the class this year. Ultimately, I'm going over there to try and popularise hockey back home in England. A successful Brit should hopefully help with that.

Q: Well that's all. Thanks for your time today, and good luck on Thursday. Have you got any teams youd like to be drafted to?
PM: I've had some interest shown from Halifax and Detroit, so maybe one of those two.

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

I was shaped by many different things, but here are five of them:

1) my uncle Jack Durden. He taught me how to have a great work ethic and to stay motivated.

2) My parents. They made sure I got to every practice and game.

3) Doctor Sven Skoldenson. Without his guidance on mindfulness and stretching I would be incapable of playing at this level.

4) Gretzky. Ya know... Paulina.

5) The fans. Cheap pop!

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Written option: Must include five things that shaped your player as a person.

As stated in his player bio, Both Bernik's Father and Grandfather took part in the Velvet Divorce and Velvet Revolution Respectively. While neither one were big into sports, there love for their country comes across in Bernik's Aspirations to represent Czech in the World Tournaments. 

Growing up in Kladno in modern times, hockey is growing all around the country, but it did not really set in until he watched Jaromir Jagr representing Czech on the national stage from watching TV with his buddies, did he feel inspired to go play hockey. 

Being more quiet and reserved, Vrzala never liked having the spotlight, and as such took up the role at which he felt better suited him, playing defense

Being from the more rural side of town, Vrzala got alot of time skating on rivers and lakes, and someday, that is all that he did. Skating became the focal point of his player type and skating down the frozen rivers helped his footwork 

After Vrzala got into the minors in his home town, he realized that there were different types of people. He wanted to be the guy people could come to and talk about the game and help them with theirs and overall making sure the locker room was an enjoyable, albeit competitive atmosphere. He does become more tense and a bit harder on others during international play however.

[Image: Off.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2018, 01:19 PM by TnlAstatine.)

Growing up on a small Island off the west coast of Canada, Luffy has always been a determined kid. His never give up attitude has propelled him up the rankings and clear past his competitors to the SMJHL S46 draft class.
He never knew my parents but was adopted and looked after by a old sailor lady named Curly Dadan. She was a tough lady and installed the never give up even when things look bleak attitude that helped Luffy on his hockey journey.
It took quite a lot of years to get to the top of his game but by Midget Luffy was always on top of his game and always a quiet leader on the ice with his lead by example attitude.
Only really speaking up when absolutely necessary Luffy leads with his overwhelming presence on the ice and even carried his team to a championship in his final year with the club!
He has always looked up to his adopted brothers and has always been trying to surpass them in skill. Only time will tell if this young man has what it takes to become the next great one!

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Mike McKorsy on the 5 things that shaped him as a person

The first thing that comes to my mind is the time with my Dad. He was a professional in his Job. He worked as a paramedic day and night and i learned from him that there are more important things than hockey. Being healthy as example. Because of that i try to do my body the best.

Then there is my place of birth. The People in the "Ruhrgebiet" are very honest and direct. They always tell you the truth. Hard work and be honest, thats what i learned their.

And i think my teammates at the Kassel Huskies were a big piece of my life. We were 20 Friends on and of the ice. Real friendship, it is so important.

Over the years there are so many people in sports that inspired me. Jimmy Connors, Dirk Nowitzki and Jarome Iginla. True Leaders in their sports.

At least there are the people in E-Sports and Management Games. You see a lot of people their, and some are meanwhile friends. I learned a lot from them and i hope i can translate it in this New Adventure.

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]

5 Things That Have Shaped Olivier Cloutier

1. Growing up in Lyon, France - Cloutier is a Frenchman through and through.

2. His grandmother, Jeanette - she lived with him and his parents his whole life and has always been the de facto babysitter, advice giver, and illicit chocolate dealer, though she's gotten a lot more strict in the years since...

3. His parents passing away in a car collision when he was 13 - that's the kind of thing that shakes a person up even when they don't move back to their grandmother's home country because of it, and it's a huge contributing factor to Cloutier's focus on hockey.

4. A school project he once did on the Lumiere brothers - it gave him a certain discerning eye and appreciation for the older stuff when it comes to movies.

5. His mother's love of football - he used to play, making him a more well-rounded athlete today, and though he doesn't like to watch it much anymore, he still checks scores of the Olympique Lyonnais.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

[Image: PHJtChb.png]

[Image: 32882_s.gif]

Oliver Pettyfer / Isaac Cormier Hale / Eva Lykke Aparjode

Prospect scouting report: Andrej Doskočil from HC Brezno in CSHL

The strengths of Andrej are clear very quickly: even at 6'0, he is a fairly big body and he has learned to use it well while checking. He seems to understand the game well, showcasing high hockey IQ, with great passing skills. Afterall, the interview showcased that Andrej is naturally a bright young man, fairly humble, with true passion for the game, and clearly trying to play as clean as possible for his role. Don't mistake this for being soft though; if needed, he will be the first to defend his teammate. By his own words, he feels strong loyalty to his team and his teammates are his family, "and you don't let your family get hurt". 

The weaknesses are fairly clean aswell. His shot, while having decent strenght, is just not having the necessary accuracy, seems to be a mistake in development from his previous team. His skating isn't particularly great either, and while not a detriment, it is an area where he can vastly improve. I am not quite convinced by his puck handling either - he uses a very unconventional curve, seems like something influenced by a weird equipment choice while he was younger. There is a concern this might influence the ceiling of his development, where this will influence his ability to improve, while being impossible to relearn him to a more conventional stick.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]