Create Account

Earlybird PT - Growing Up Quick

Five Quick Things: Jerry "The Snake" Mander

1. He's now a Russian citizen. In a very rare governmental decision, Jerry Mander requested Russian citizenship after properly defecting from his Chicago, Illinois roots. Said Mander in a recent press conference: "I like how they do things here better. The goal is glory. You are respected for chasing your dream. There is no drama. I can relax here and be supported by my friends. I will now take my talent to the SHL and return here after long seasons." The request was approved in July of 2016, just before the calendar for the 2016 MHL season was released.

2. He learned to hit people in the MHL. Although the government viewed Jerry's decision as a suitable one, a lot of native Russians were pissed--and it showed. Mander led the MHL in penalty minutes, and it was mostly due to fights being started with him. "That's not my game at all. Well, not all of it. I like to hit; I don't fight. These guys wanted to fight because of what I chose to do with my citizenship."

3. He's very well read. Having read a lot of classic books, Mander frequently attends discussion sessions at libraries. His educational background is far from Ivy League, but he embraces discourse within intellectual communities. "It's just like hockey, you don't get better until you're thrown into it. It give you a better perspective of life. That's why I'm coming back to America strictly to compete. It presents the best opportunity for me."

4. The only thing he missed from the US? Pizza. That's right; Jerry even cooks pizza himself. It simply doesn't compare to Chicago deep dish, though. "Yeah, if I could get Lou Malnati's shipped to me in Moscow every week, I wouldn't even be back here to play hockey. I'd probably be very fat and doing something else. But still, it helps that during the season I can grab some pizza." At 5'10, 245 pounds, Jerry needs all the pizza he can handle.

5. He has a lot to prove on [newly] foreign soil. "A lot of people, including some of my family, aren't happy I'm back so soon. I fucking hate this place when it comes to government, the treatment of others, and the craving of equity and social justice. I don't want to speak about that, either. But I'm here to be the best hockey player in the world. The MHL was cool, but I knew once the SMJHL called I needed to be here to challenge the rest of the world."

Growing up in Fribourg, Switzerland, Basil Magnicotta grew up on watching a proud tradition of Swiss NHL-ers. However, most of the Swiss players basil watched on the TV growing up had something else in common- they were almost all goalies. Players like David Aebischer, Martin Gerber, and Jonas Hiller were the face of Swiss hockey at the time. But that wasn't the path for Basil, as he was the oldest of three brothers. Naturally, the youngest had to strap on the pads. Magnicotta had developed a good shot, and was playing forward as a young boy, but a chance encounter at a charity event with modern Swiss hockey ambassador Roman Josi led him to choosing to play as a defenseman, albeit with his offensive flair. Magnicotta saw Switzerland well-represented in the NHL, but looked around the world and saw few Swiss players outside of his home country. Upon reaching the proper age, Magnicotta declared eligibility for the SMJHL, hoping to be part of a new wave of Swiss players to the SHL.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

[Image: Gordie-Billboard.png]

Q: Who was it that gave you the push to get into hockey?
A: My dad, he is a huge hockey fan and we always would watch SHL games together. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be at the level I am at today.

Q: How did your dad help shape your game?
A: When I was first starting out I knew I really wanted to be a goalie but by comparison to the rest of the kids on the team I was pretty weak at skating. My dad had the idea that if I played in a more stand up position that it might work better. Already being a large kid he figured if I stopped flopping like a fish I might make more stops. He was right and my skating improved the style has grown organically from there.

Q: Can you tell me more about the extraordinary run with your home town team?
A: Yeah my home town team of the Port Moody Pooches was record breaking for the franchise. It really motivated me to play my best day in and day out and we were rewarded in the end with the Lion Heart Cup.

Q: What did you take away from that team?
A: I learned a lot about playing in those big games. We were constantly up against a wall and had to battle the whole way. I learned a lot about how to work day in and day out to make myself a better hockey player.

Q: Who do you think you base your game on the most?
A: Kirk McLean and Martin Brodeur are 2 of the main goalies I would watch growing up (thanks dad) so I look up to them a lot.

Thanks so much for your time and we look forward to seeing you at the draft!

Draft day is one that you'll always remember - but it's the people and places that got you here that are most important. Tell us about your journey to the SMJHL draft: your family, your minor hockey team, your hometown, and/or whatever had the biggest influence on you.

Requirements

Written option: Must include five things that shaped your player as a person.

1) How has growing up around the legendary Scott Stevens as your father, influenced you growing up? For readers that are unaware, this is the same Scott Stevens who won 2 of the trophies he is named for, 1 Challenge Cup, 2 Canada Gold medals as Captain, and a perennial all star and top 3 dman for 8 seasons.

We had a lot of playboy models around growing up. Losing your virginity at 12 will do a number on ya! But yea all the cocaine and ladies and steroids have shaped me into the man I am today. Also dad would practice his slapper on me which resulted in some consciousness but now I've got great reaction time!

2) What was your minor team before this like?

I remember growing up with that nincompoop @jakub as my main rival in the WHL. Lots trash talking and good fights, have a lot of respect for her! Or him. Jakub is struggling with some gender identity issues I believe. We spent many anight in each others arms longing for when the day would come that we could escape our weird families and elope.

3) Where are you from and any cool stories bro?

Yea man one time in Vancouver I threw a snowball at my goalie during a game and he said nice one mate then gave me some poutine.

4) Biggest influence on you career wise?

It's gotta be Dar for me dawg. Got me into this and him and my father won a Cup together in LA. Not sure why that waste of a franchise @Wasty never retired the jersey of the man who brought them 1 of their only 2 cups. Stevens was instrumental in orchestrating a superteam of FAs in LA that year (S6) and chose them coming off a Stevens trophy year. Led the league in +/- to top it off with the Cup. All the old guys know how unique that year was.

5) Any mentors you'd like to mention that influenced you?

Shout out to sarm, munk, idot, krever, spangs, leafs for how much they've shaped my desire to get into the SHL and make a successful career!

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

Its been an interesting road for Aleksi O'Koivu-Volkova. Some question his true intent, but no one other than himself knows his perrogative as they near the SMJHL draft tonight. While possessing many tools, there are definitely a few to pick out and spot light. 1) Hard work ethic... There will always be doubters, but the one thing his father Olli left him with was socking them where it hurts and that is just proving them wrong. 2) Athletic ability... definitely a gift from his mother Pietra Volkova. He wouldn't be where he is without the abilities he has. 3) Mental toughness... While learning from his father, this is more of a what-not to do. Don't quit... Don't quit after being scored on, just don't quit in general. 4) Savor the moment. You don't know what you got til its gone. One thing the old man taught was that the time in the SHL doesn't last forever. Enjoy it now. 5) Lastly, the one thing my mother did leave with me was a passion for winning. A triple winner herself, she instilled the winning ways.

[Image: Wally.png]

How does one fully become The Big Fudge.

Marshall Eriksen grew up a large Minnesotan lad, destined to do one of the great Minnesotan past times, hockey. Only he didn't know that yet. Five things, some good, some bad, one awful led to him announcing his eligibility for the SMJHL Entry Draft.

1. Marshall was an excellent skater who was forced to train with Mike Modano in the offseasons since his mom and him had a connection. He would later go on to egg Marshall to enter the draft.

2. Marshall's mother also had a fling with Minnesotan star Brodie Witzel prior to him leaving for the North Stars, we're not sure if she curses his name for leaving her or for leaving the Chiefs. But while he was around, he taught Marshall that scoring gets more women than passing.

3. Tying into the last point, Marshall didn't get many women in high school despite being hilarious, tall and obviously good looking. He played basketball but apparently Minnesotan women didn't care.

4. Marshall suffered an injury ending his basketball career, iliopsoas tendinitis a.k.a. dancer's hip ruined what was a promising potential g-league career.

5. Marshall was BROKE and needed to find a way to make money. With law school not working out, he figured, might as well try hockey.

1. My dad, who knocked up my mom in an IIHF tournament, was always a big hero to me. Be watched him play since S36 even though he never acknowledged me until I showed I had hockey promise.
2. I grew up in a small town in Austria where Mike Izzy was like a local celebrity.
3. I was always super protective of my stripper mother, Kitty, and that translated to being a defensive defenseman perfectly.
4. Learning how to skate, simply because the road between my house and school would freeze. My mom would never take me to school because she worked the first, second and third shift at the strip club.
5. I got into plenty of disagreements about the quality of my mothers character at school with my fellow classmates.
These five things easily translated into becoming a competent defensive defenseman.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018, 08:06 PM by Lynxfire.)

A chat with Kalevi Karhunen, SMJHL Prospect:

Interviewer: Welcome to our show Kalevi, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to talk to us today.

Kalevi: Thanks for having me here

Interviewer: So with the draft approaching we thought it'd be great if you could discuss a bit about your upbringing. Are there any influences or experiences that you think might have shaped who you are today?

Kalevi: Well, firstly I'd have to list both California and Finland. I was born in Finland but grew up in Cali, I'd like to think I take a bit of inspiration and work-ethic from both. I also played a lot of roller hockey in California as a kid, I think my style and skating take a lot from that free flowing style. And of course, my parents, of which I have two, have always supported and cheered me on wherever I've gone on my journey. So two countries, two parents, and roller hockey.

Interviewer: Well thats all the time we have today, thanks for joining!

[Image: Rq2Dtaw.png]  [Image: Anchorage.png]  [Image: PPpK5xb.png]

[Image: vE2xRO8.png]