Create Account

Earlybird PT - Growing Up Quick

Borromini Cannellini came from quite the interesting family. His father was a stone mason and his mother worked at the shop next door to where he lived in the Bronx. Because the family didn't have much money Borromini played street hockey with a stick and a rock, eventually learning how to smooth the rock into a ball and whittle the stick into a usable hockey stick. After a few years learning to stickhandle, his father was able to get him to play for a rec team in New York, and his skills were so unexpected that he was given an offer from a AAA hockey team within a few months. Because they didn't have money the coach was willing to waive the cost to play, just because he was such a good hockey player. From there his coaches were incredibly helpful and made him an insane contributor on the ice. After a few seasons in AAA he was among the best at what he did, scoring goals and moving the puck around with his stick. And during those seasons he grew to be one of the tallest players in the league, towering over the rest of the kids he played with.

Through all of that, his family was incredibly supportive, as was the neighborhood he lived in. They all chipped in to help get him more ice time, as well as getting other kids into the game so they all had a common sport to play with one another. This made Borromini even better and eventually he was the talk of the town. Now with the SMJHL draft coming up everyone has been talking about him and hyping him up, making him one of the most hyped young players to come into the SMJHL in some time. His father also cultivated his pride of the nation, hoping that one day he would be able to play for the USA national team and represent his country. Borromini took this to heart and has been using that as a major motivator for him getting to the big leagues.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Jack Icicle has had an unusual trip to the SMJHL draft. Jack never had the talent to catch scouts attention in his youth hockey days. His family was relatively poor, but they supported him and his hockey career regardless. He worked extremely hard in the offseason going into his U16 years, and made the jump to a AAA team. Primarily used as a grinder, Jack was finding himself playing fourth line minutes. He struggled with the idea of his poor parents dishing out loads of cash for him to hardly play. He started to work at the rink he played at to help with the cost of his season. At the World Invite Super Series, Jack scored a double OT goal to send his team to the quarter finals. His celebration went viral on twitter and he became an internet sensation. SMJHL teams have discovered him through his social media presence, and many have realized the potential media dollars this kid can generate. After a brutal offseason training regiment, Jack Icicle has made himself up to par with others in the draft, and scout reports are predicting a bright future ahead.

What shaped Kalvins Zvejnieks as a player and a person:

On his defensive-focused play: While his older sister never got into hockey as a career like Kalvins, he remember her always being better than him. "She had a better shot, a better shot by far. He always just blew past me or sniped it top-shelf. I hated it, hated to lose, so I focused on shutting her down rather than trying to compete with that insane shot."

On his zealous work ethic: If you want to improve, you have to work on it. Zvejnieks runs his plays over and over, and tries to grind out a win no matter what bruises he feels afterwards. The only way he found success was repetition, and playing against more and more skilled opponents as he grew always pushed him to stay on his toes and keep up on his training.

On his relaxing nature as a person: "When you compete so hard on the ice, you need to give your body and mind a break. So when it isn't a workout or a game day, I definitely come across as more relaxed because I'm enjoying myself. If I'm happy and hanging out with my teammates, it undoes the wear and tear you accumulate from the rink."

On his National Pride: "Latvia is an amazing hockey country, we are actually one of three countries with hockey as their #1 spectator sport - us, Finland, and Canada. Teodors Cukurs announcing his retirement after next year is a blow to Latvian hockey, he was an inspiration that led me to play center". One of Zvenjiek's main goals is to represent the senior Latvian squad, and eventually inspire other Latvian players into the league.

On his friend Basil Magnicotta: "he's kind of the reason I'm here" Zvejnieks laughs, "he introduced me to the SHL and showed me how to declare my eligibility and get to know the league. Otherwise I might've ended up in the NHL playing for the Minnesota Wild or something (Zvejnieks shudders)

[Image: N8JhTE5.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 03:57 PM by LonnyBohonos16.)

In the days leading up to the SJHL draft, Young defensemen Johnny Sins was available to answer questions regarding his growth as a player. 

What has helped you develop into the player that you are today?

Growing up I was placed on a strict diet of tuna juice and onion peels which helped me develop the strength and discipline required to play hockey. My dad would also krazy glue meat to my naked body and drop me off in the middle of the forest, I was forced to evade and escape wolves and bears; in the process it helped developed the speed and stamina that was required to be an athlete.

What hobbies do you have outside of hockey that have helped contribute to the person you are today? 

I collect cigarette butts off the street and give them to children, it's just my way of giving back to the community. I also like to scream at the fruit on my counter to help it ripen quicker. My good deeds have helped me remain humble along the way to ensure that I don't get ahead of myself.

You have stated in the past that TV and Documentaries have played an important role in your life, how so?

A few years ago I watched the Documentary Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, his story and ability to overcome obstacles has really been an inspiration and has helped me overcome any obstacles that I have experienced. I really have his true to life story to thank for getting me to where I am today.

You are  considered a bit of a health nut these days, and you contribute that to your continuing success so far. We would like to know what meals you have before games to ensure that you are at the top of craft?

I like to boil hotdogs for 20 minutes and then strain the water into a protein shaker. I find the nutrients from the weeny water soup gives me the energy I need to play a great game.

Last question, is there anything or anyone else that has helped create the player you are along the way?

Ultimately I have my friends, family, and coaches who have helped me along the way. They always provided me with a reliable support system and were there to offer help when ever I needed it. I would not be here today without them.

[Image: sins.png?width=500&height=334]

Jakub Hasek was born in Prague, Czech Republic where he lived with his parents Martin Hasek, a successful midfielder, and Katerina Hasek, With his father being a successful athlete it influenced him to take up sports himself. The nephew of hall of fame NHL goaltender Dominik Hasek, was influenced greatly by his uncle which led to him playing goal as soon as he joined competitive hockey at the age of 6. When he was 16 he began playing for Sparta Praha of the Czech Extraliga which convinced him that this was what he wanted to do for his career, play goaltender. When he was 18 he moved to North America and entered into the WHL through the Import Draft where he was selected 104th overall and went to the Brandon Wheat Kings. This was humbling for Jakub as he had always been top of his class and he wasn't sure what to make if this. Was he a good player? Did draft position matter? Soon Jakub Was introduced to a sports agent, megster, who had been working with another Czech player, Jakub Trocheck. Trocheck had gone first overall his draft year and gave Jakub Hasek some great advice. "It doesn't matter when or where you're drafted, it's what you make out of a career that will give you either legendary status or just another passing name in the history books". This gave Jakub some hope that he too could become successful in the SHL and he decided to declare for the entry draft.

To review Jakub was influenced by these 5 things
His dad Martin
his uncle Dominik
Playing for a professional hockey team
Falling in a junior draft
Jakub Trocheck

Need a sig :-/

5 things that shaped my player as a person

1)He took up hockey when he was 8 after watching his brother tear through every defense he faced
2)Olin was born in Cork Ireland before his family moved to Boston when he was 12
3)Learned the intricacies of passing the puck from his brother Michael O'Dowd
4)After moving to America and playing against the different Massachussets high schools, Olin was moved from Center to Defense because of his inability to score goals, and how often he would be the first on the backcheck
5)Olin also had 5 dogs as a kid, fostering his never ending love of all kinds of dogs

[Image: sour_chin_music.gif]

[Image: HoJ50Az.png][Image: bbtqOQr.png]
Gif sig by Gillon
Other sig by ml

[Image: 20150831_145328_637526_in_their_own_words.png]
5 Things That Shaped Me: The Jimmy Slothface Story

PBS had a chance to sit down with SMJHL prospect Jimmy Slothface to discuss, among other things, five of the biggest influences on him as a person and a hockey player.  Jimmy is a prospect from Vantaa, Finland and below is a transcript of Jimmy's responses:

Strict Diet: Growing up my mother always set a very strict diet for us.  From an early age I only would eat the leaves from the family cecropia.  At the age of five I was given my own modal tree to focus on to better focus my diet.  Through supplements I am able to receive any necessary nutrition outside of my diet of leaves.  This has taught me discipline and the importance of nutrition.  Unfortunately due to genetics it can take over a month to digest my food, but this has given me a strong lesson in patience that I have transferred to my perspective on my own development as a prospect.

Power Skating: To say I used to be slow is an understatement.  Originally I only moved at about 4 meters or 13 feet per minute, but through hard work and lots of power skating lessons I was able to keep up with and often times surpass my peers in the speed department.  This taught me the importance of setting a goal, being dedicated to that goal, and following through on the goal.  I never could have done this without my speed skating coach Pasi Koskela (old family friend who agreed to train me).

My Home: Growing up in the trees of Vantaa, I was destined to be a hockey player.  All the years of hanging from branches set me up perfectly to hold and use a hockey stick.  I pride myself in my stick handling and shooting ability, and I believe it all stems from growing up with sticks in my hand.

My Teammates: I came from a very solitary family, that while supportive, did not offer the traditional idea of familial love.  I've been able to skate with many amazing players who also happen to be great people, and I credit them with my growth as a player.  These deep locker room connections allowed us all to unlock our potential and play well as a team.  Without them I wouldn't have been able to make it to where I am today.  It allowed me to not merely focus on my own development and stats but come together with my teammates to grow as a team.

My Family: From birth my family always instilled a sense of calm and relaxation in me.  We are a very slow, deliberate family and often times if I find myself being overwhelmed all I have to do is think of my family.  It reminds me to slow down and enjoy the important aspects of life.  It also allows me to perform in high pressure situations on the ice, and makes sure that I'm always hanging in there...

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Q: where did you grow up? 
A: when i was young, Kiruna, up north in sweden with my parents and 2 brothers. But we moved down south to stockholm when i was 12 becaus of my parents work.

Q: how was it having to move across the country, leaving all you friends behind?
A: at first it was rough, kids at school picking on me for my funny accent but it got better with time 

Q: how was it finding your place on a new team?
A: it is always a little wierd walking in a new locker room, everyone steering at you.. but i let my actions on the ice speak for me and i found new friend through my play and i earnd the confidence of the coach.

Q: Do you have any specific person that has helped you a littel extra to get to where you are in your hockey career today?
A: Yes, my coach back in kiruna, Lasse Berghagen. He always knew how to push me that little exta and he taught me the importance of a 200 foot game.

Q: what's the hardest/roughest hockey moment you have experienced
A:  We were down 2-3 in the finals with 2:30 left in the 3 and I get hit hard on a dump in against the bords and i go down on the ice and my whole body hurts and can't get up on my right foot, i had twisted an ankel. The feeling of frustration and the feeling that you let you team down when you can't play anyone you know? Thats hard..

[Image: knute.jpg]

1 - Of course, everyone is aware of the most visible influence on Nikolai Evans’ career, his family lineage. Evans grew up watching father Zach Evans and mother Ekaterina Rudnikova play the game at an award-winning SHL level.

2 - What may be forgotten is that he also grew up around championship-caliber players. Consider the defensemen who would have been playing alongside Nikolai’s parents as he was first starting to play at competitive youth levels, names like Max Weber, Big Manious, Lord Vader.

3 – Nikolai is also familiar with the rigors of travel that accompany professional hockey players. Constantly traveling with one or both of his parents growing up and accompanying them when they joined the Russian National Team during the offseason, Nikolai is fully prepared for the bus rides and plane trips ahead of him.

4 – Some people may be critical of Nikolai’s attitude and demeanor, but he is fully aware of the criticism that often faces professional athletes, on and off the playing surface. Thus, he considers his abrasive personality part of writing his own story, rather than letting the critics and analysts fill in the blanks.

5 – Not only was Nikolai learning from the best, he has also been sharpening his skills against a handful of second-generation players also entering this draft. Most commonly Nikolai played against the O’Koivu twins, thanks to their Russian connections and Zach Evans’ time as teammates with Pietra Volkova. Between youth international events and other tournaments, Nikolai already has shared the ice with several players in this class.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Liam Hutchinson : Scouting interview

Q - Where is your home town
A - Victoria, BC is my hometown, and where I played minor hockey. 

Q- Why did you get involved with hockey?
A- Growing up in Canada hockey is the sport to play. My father always wanted me to play, but my mother was a bit worried about the cost. After they got me into skating when I was 4, they could see that I had a passion for being on the ice, and signed me up in a league.

Q - Why did you choose your position?
A - I like to be involved in the play at all times. Being a forward I can go in hard on the attack as well as defend.

Q - Who do you model your game off? 
A - I see my playstyle as a more physical Patrick Laine 

Q - What would you say is your biggest strength?
A - My ability to pressure the defenceman on the forecheck to create turnovers.

Q- Do you contribute your success to anybody else?
A - My grandfather, and father have came to everyone of my games, so I feel like without them watching me I wouldn't have the drive to improve. They gave me a reason to put my heart and soul into this game. 

Q- Without playing hockey would you be the same person you are?
A- No way I would be. Hockey has shaped me by giving me a chance to be part of a team. Have disiplined, and dedication to something you love. I pride myself on being a dedicated, hard working guy. Without playing hockey I'm not sure I would be

[Image: Sig-1.png]

[Image: QhAQn2i.png][Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Tripp Forslund: We're back with rising star Michael Fox to talk about his journey to the draft. Thanks for taking the time again Michael, it's always a pleasure.
Michael Fox: Thanks for having me again Tripp.

TF: So we've already talked about how you got into hockey in our previous interview, I want to ask you about something maybe a bit more personal: your family. How did your family react to you wanting to transition to hockey instead of soccer?
MF: Well they were a bit shocked at first. They had tried to get me into another sport from the beginning and I didn't want anything to do with that idea.All it took was going to a game and I was hooked. They were a bit reluctant because of the price of all the equipment at first, but once I got on the ice and started training they were all in on it.

TF: How does a guy from a small town in North Carolina not only find a team to play for, but also an trainer good enough to get you junior-ready in just over 3 years?
MF: Well like I said before, I got really lucky. We were in a hockey shop and got to talking to one of the guys in there and it happened to be "Rod the Bod" and he happened to have some extra time and offered to help if I was serious. It was truly an honor and I've learned a lot.

TF: What about your amateur team, how did the coaching staff there influence you to keep pushing forward? How did they feel about you training with an NHL legend outside of the team?
MF: Well they weren't too stoked about it at first, they thought I was messing with them when I showed up to the first practice. But for our first league game, Rod, Kuokks, Seabass, Marty Nachos, and Turbo all showed up to the game and the coaching staff didn't question it from there on out. They actually encouraged it from then on, and when the points started coming they knew it was paying off. They've done everything they could to make sure I keep my head where it's supposed to be and I credit a lot of my mindset to my LAWL coaches.

TF: Who do you credit your playstyle to? You have been a pass first guy from the beginning, yet you've obviously had the talent to be the guy to score more. Why pass?
MF: I actually credit my best friend for that. When he took me to my first game, he sat and explained everything to me: the penalties, positions, strategies, everything. There were a few guys who kept trying to do too much and it ultimately cost their team the game. However, there was this one guy playing for the Checkers who kept dancing around his opponents, just to pass to one of his teammates who was standing still. My best friend told me that not everyone has an amazing shot, and some have enough to make space for their linemates to put in easy shots. I'm a big competitor, I love winning, and I found that I could be that type of player from the get go and I haven't looked back. I'm gonna keep trying to set my team up until someone stops me.

TF: One last question and I'll let you go so you can prepare for the Stingrays. If you had to pick one current SHL player that helped gain your interest in the SMJHL and SHL, who would it be and why?
MF: Oh Tripp, I honestly don't know if I can answer that. There really wasn't a player that got my interest in the league. I saw a flyer one day, looked deeper into it, and decided to try to see if I could make it. I've paid a little bit of attention to Sophia Bennett out of LA. She's one of the league leaders in assists, but still has a natural ability to find the back of the net. I'm doing everything I can to be able to produce at that kind of level one day.

TF: Well thanks again for the time, Michael, and good luck against the Stingrays.
MF: Thanks Tripp.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

Growing up the daughter of two All-Star SHL players, Anastasia O’Koivu’s life and hockey have never been anything but intertwined.

Five things that shaped her:

1. Playing with and against her brother. While Anastasia and Aleksi often played with each other, the times where they went up head-to-head helped shape her gameplay a lot, learning from her brother how to best defend a netminder and tricks for retaining possession. When her brother played behind her, she developed a protective edge towards her goalies that carried over to future teammates.

2. Junior hockey in Russia, her mother’s homeland, helped Anastasia foster her competitive edge and her physical style of play. Additionally, Russian hockey taught her the value of team as family, and how to grow close to the people she played with.

3. Her parents. Pietra Volkova and Olli O’Koivu did their best to instill in their children the value of hard work, dedication, and pride both on and off-ice.

4. Her extended hockey family. Her mother and father both played with legends such as Zach Evans, Jason Visser, and Vasily Horvat, people she was able to look up to as role models. Of particular note was her mother’s close friend in Russia, Russian netminder Ekaterina Rudnikova, and her role in helping Anastasia’s confidence in defensive play around men could much larger than her.

5. Her mother’s best friend and former roommate, Mikko Linna. Linna, in large part, helped raise Anastasia when the little family was based in West Kendall, and “Uncle Mikko” always treated Anastasia in a very loving manner. Linna’s support has always been a helping factor in her involvement in hockey.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

5 things that shaped my player:

Being small: kit smeb was always the smallest brother, and many coaches doubted him. as a child he was always ridiculed but his brothers stood up for him. Since they were so large and good at hockey, all the coaches in south korea wanted them, but they said they wouldnt play unless kit could too. This is how kit got his shot and became the best smeb

Fathers illigitimate child: the smebs first learned of their half brother - steve craig-smeb a couple years ago, its their fathers illigitimate child from his business trip 18 years ago.

the smebs originally learned hockey from hitting dead computer mouses with broken keyboards and made a game basically like hockey.

smebs are the number one esports eanhl team in korea, they play a lot of games

kit was always very lazy, and thats why hes not big and tall because he didnt work for it, he also hates writing which is part of his laziness

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

12-17-2018, 11:23 PMJenny Wrote: Draft day is one that you'll always remember - but it's the people and places that got you here that are most important. Tell us about your journey to the SMJHL draft: your family, your minor hockey team, your hometown, and/or whatever had the biggest influence on you.

Requirements

Written option: Must include five things that shaped your player as a person.
Graphic option (can be a billboard, a feature magazine cover, whatever): Must include 1 player render.

Reward

2 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S45 SMJHL Rookies (S46 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline
the start of the SMJHL draft

Lunga Gumba is definetly one of the more unique boys to come to the draft this season. He comes from the Land of Gumba, where he lives in a gumba house with his gumba family and his gumba car and he lives in Gumba Town. Gumba Town was not very big, but it was unique. There was all the necessities there like a gumba office, a gumba grocery store and the gumba shop where lunga gumba worked fixing all the gumbas. He used to play hockey a lot with his brother, fumba gumba, and his sister, tunga gumba. they would play a lot of hockey in the backyard rink in the wintertime and also they were all in league hockey. His team, the Gumba Humbas, was a force to be reckoned with. Lunga Gumba became known as the top scorer on his team. He would go up and shoot the game winning goal of a championship like it was nothin', although he couldn't really skate very well. As Lunga Gumba got older, his shot got better and he went on to play in a pretty competitive league. He told his family he wanted to become a hockey player and that did not sit very well with them, but he showed them that he can make it here to the smjhl ready for the upcoming draft. The thing that had the most influence on Lunga Gumba was probably his desire to score goals so much. Basically that's why he is such a good shooter, because he gets so much satisfaction out of scoring that he wants to score every goal he shoots on. Another influence was his team coach, who saw the potential for Gumba and really helped Lunga to train hard for the smjhl. There has not been any smjhl rookies come out of Land of Gumba until now, so everyone back home is super hype and are cheering on Lunga Gumba with all their might. His family was a big influence on him because at first, they wanted nothing to do with him becoming a hockey player, because they wanted him to become a Gumba Gumba like everyone else, but when they saw his skill and passion for hockey, they knew he would do great. His family will be cheering him on from the front row. To conclude, Lunga Gumba's Town, Minor Hockey Team, Scoring skill, team coach and his family all played a big role in shaping Gumba as a person, as well as helping him reach the point he is at today.

[Image: unknown.png]

"Bring back Pingy Pingu Lunga Gumba esq. And I mean bring him all the way back. I want every thread on this forum that involves even a modicum of salt to get razed to the ground by our most notorious shitposting penguin. I want every thunderdome to drown in ABAGABA spam and a signature that doesn't end. I want the userbase of this fine league to cower in terror, slinking about the forums and making as little noise as possible for fear of attracting the Shitpost Slenderman. When some poor immigrant from the NFL sim blunders into the forum and makes an angry post about how his player slipped to the early second round despite having done ALL the rookie tasks(!), let the veteran survivalists stare in horror and pity while the newbie rages. They will know it is only a matter of time before @Pingy Pingu descends upon his post like a ravening wolf and obliterates his tread, reducing it to a radioactive waste-dump of unintelligible spam. They will not interfere, for Pingy is our immune system. Because he can take it. Our Dark Knight of Shitposting"

Sig credit to @WannabeFinn @JSS @Mordaciious @Mayuu @TommySalami
                                              Falcons banner credit to @karey

The under the radar Aleksi Leskinen has gotten to where he is today for a number of reasons. Most of them not great. Aleksi who is projected to go anywhere from the bottom rounds to possibly even being undrafted in the upcoming SMJHL Entry draft has been known to be somewhat of a problem on the way up. He was lucky enough to be born into a very wealthy family in Finland a rare feat in and of itself and had a typical attitude of the spoiled rich kid on and off the ice.

While always being naturally one of the more talented players on his teams he was known for hitting his coaches with his stick and even drinking on the bench at ages as young as 12 and 13. This lead to him getting kicked off of his U-13 team. Which obviously meant his father bought said pee--wee team and the arena they play in and put Aleksi back on the team. For years after Aleksi dominated the junior circuit around northern Finland while still getting drunk on the bench and truly not enjoying hockey or being around any of his teammates. That all changed 6 months ago when his father took him off the trust fund and now out of necessity he actually needs to play hockey.

To summarize Leskinen has gotten to this point by having more god given talent then most other people,being a truly terrible teammate,failing upwards,a strong liquor tolerance on the ice and most importantly a rich Dad. Whichever team ends up with Leskien is obviously taking a massive risk that this team cancer somehow gets his shit together.