Create Account

S45 Prospect Showcase: Which Defensemen Impressed?

DOUBLE MEDIA WEEK

S45 Prospect Showcase: Which Defensemen Impressed?

As the Season 45 Prospect Showcase comes to a close, the race for MVP defenseman of the tournament (which no one really asked for but I decided to investigate anyway) is shaping up to be quite the contest. I dived deep into the statistics of the 37 games played so you didn't have to.

NOTE: Bots (I assume the players with ZZ in front of their names?) were not included in these rankings

Leaders in each category that I decided was important:

Goals:
        Joaquin Rodriguez Herrera (7)
        Guy Zheng (5)
        Maximilian Williamson (4)
        Karlstraße Scholz (4)

Assists:
        Kalevi Karhunen (8)
        Valeri Kolesnikov (8)
        Emil Olsson (8)
        Timo Halmetoja (8)
        Sami Kärppä (8)

Nanny McShmee (11)
        Kalevi Karhunen (11)
        Joaquin Rodriguez Herrera (10)

Hits Given:
        Jeff Bazinet (19)
        Andrej Doskočil (18)
        George McMuffin (16)
        Perry Morgan (14)

Shooting Percentage:
        Matias Kunzle (28.57%)
        Guy Zheng (27.78%)
        Perry Morgan (27.27%)

Shots Blocked:
        Jeremy Chen (22)
        David Vent (21)
        Bernik Vzrala (18)
        Jaques St. Pierre (17)
        Bradley Hall (17)

Power Play Goals:
        Guy Zheng (3)
        Bobby Sharp (3)

Defensemen Who Shined

NOTE: These players are not ranked in any particular order.

Joaquin Rodriguez Herrera
A clear winner in the goals category and a runner-up in the points category, not only did Herrera look like an offensive star, but also was no slouch in the defensive zone. Herrera totaled 16 shots blocked (6th overall) and scored both a First Star and a Second Star in his 7 games played. He is certainly making a strong case to be one of the first Dmen taken in this draft class.

Guy Zheng
A shining star in an otherwise unremarkable Vipers team, Guy Zheng managed to put his impressive shooting skills to use as the runner-up in the goals and shooting percentage categories, and the leader in the power play goals category. Though his poor assist totals were clearly affected by his lacklustre team, Zheng put the team on his back and delivered an impressive total of 12 hits and receieved one First Star in his 7 games. He is definitely a player to be reckoned with coming into the Season 45 SMJHL Draft.

Maximilian Williamson
An exciting player on a talented Bighorns team, Maximilian Williamson lead the point totals and power play point totals while also blocking a total of 11 shots in 7 games. Williamson was a consistent performer for the Bighorns, racking up at least a point in every one of his games aside from one. It's important to note that even though Williamson and Herrera were both on the Bighorns, they played on separate lines in both regular 5v5 and the Power Play, making their achievements all the more impressive. GMs around the league will be keeping an eye on this young defenseman as he is sure to be taken early in the draft.

Nanny McShmee
The defensive star of the soaring Lions, Nanny McShmee made a strong impression as the leader in points and power play points. Dubbed the "Maximilian Williamson But Slightly Worse", McShmee blocked a total of 12 shots in 8 games (one more game than Williamson had played this tournament), and bagged a First Star and a Third Star. While McShmee's feats are certainly impressive, time will tell who grows into the bigger SHL star. If all goes according to plan, McShmee is looking to be picked in the first few rounds of a defensemen-light draft.

David Vent
One of the only defenseman in this list that actually impressed in the defensive aspects of the game, David Vent was the runner-up in shots blocked and posted a decent total of 10 hits, while also scoring 8 points in his 8 games. Awarded a Second Star and a Third Star, Vent is looking to be a prospect quietly making his way up the power rankings as a defensive dynamo.

Jeremy Chen
A similar story played out for defenseman Jeremy Chen, who was the leader in shots blocked while delivering a respectable 8 hits. Chen also scored 8 points in his 7 games, and is looking to be an early rival for David Vent's projected defensive dominance over the rookie class of Season 45. Any teams needing a responsible defenseman should have their eye on Chen, as I'm sure his stock is high coming into the draft.

[744 words]

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

This is how you do it rookies! Nice article man!

RETIRED

12-19-2018, 07:15 AMMayuu Wrote: This is how you do it rookies! Nice article man!

Thanks bud

I would call Takeaways one of if not the most important stat to judge a Dman on. At least in voting that was generally highly weighted. A shot blocked can still bounce to the other team, a hit might not retain possession, it's one of the very few stats that can measure defensive effectiveness imo. Just FYI Smile

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 10:52 AM by goldenglutes.)

12-19-2018, 10:32 AMDaco Wrote: I would call Takeaways one of if not the most important stat to judge a Dman on. At least in voting that was generally highly weighted.  A shot blocked can still bounce to the other team, a hit might not retain possession,  it's one of the very few stats that can measure defensive effectiveness imo. Just FYI Smile

I really wanted to include takeaways but I think there's a bug right now in the sim... no giveaway or takeaway stats.

Pic of the leaderboard: https://imgur.com/a/fOqWH2a

12-19-2018, 10:50 AMgoldenglutes Wrote:
12-19-2018, 10:32 AMDaco Wrote: I would call Takeaways one of if not the most important stat to judge a Dman on. At least in voting that was generally highly weighted.  A shot blocked can still bounce to the other team, a hit might not retain possession,  it's one of the very few stats that can measure defensive effectiveness imo. Just FYI Smile

I really wanted to include takeaways but I think there's a bug right now in the sim... no giveaway or takeaway stats.

Ah i didn't realize. And +/- obviously has its flaws but i think its quite useful for comparing players relative to their team. Like if one defender is an 8 and 2nd on his team is negative, it kinda says more about his defensive prowess than someone who is +20 along with everyone else on his team.

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

12-19-2018, 10:53 AMDaco Wrote:
12-19-2018, 10:50 AMgoldenglutes Wrote: I really wanted to include takeaways but I think there's a bug right now in the sim... no giveaway or takeaway stats.

Ah i didn't realize. And +/- obviously has its flaws but i think its quite useful for comparing players relative to their team. Like if one defender is an 8 and 2nd on his team is negative,  it kinda says more about his defensive prowess than someone who is +20 along with everyone else on his team.

Yeah that makes sense. Maybe I'll do another in the future with some better categories haha. To be honest I just did this to sneakily get Guy Zheng's name out there.