Create Account

Kocsis Coming Into Training Camp With Something to Prove

THE NORTH STAR
SMJHL Rookie of the Year Sanyi Kocsis Coming into Training Camp with Something to Prove
[Image: EMYSK67FW8J5429Z.jpg]
Kocsis [Pictured] handles the puck in a game against the Montreal Militia. Kocsis finished the S44 SMJHL Season with 38 points in 50 games played.

It's been a wild ride for the Hungary-native Sanyi Kocsis.

The 5'10", left-handed defenseman is coming off of a spectacular rookie season in the SMJHL, recording 38 points in 50 games played. In addition, Kocsis had also received a nomination for the SMJHL's Quilha Agante Trophy for Top SMJHL defenseman and received the Esa Anrikkanen Award for SMJHL Rookie of the Year. All of this, and yet Kocsis feels as if he has still so much to prove in order to solidify himself as both a top SMJHL talent, and a top SHL rookie.

"I mean, I know my coach is gonna get mad at me for saying this, but I love reading up on social media and what people have to say about both myself, my teammates, and the team." Kocsis said after the Minnesota Chiefs' inter-squad scrimmage this morning, notably in considerably improved English. "It's frustrating when you see hit articles on the guys, or when you see people thrashing us for things that are well out of our zone of control."

Kocsis was also visibly upset when he was questioned about the scouting reports on his game, whether or not if he could recreate his fantastic rookie season once again in the SMJHL, and if he truly had a future in the SHL. The defenseman has been mired in doubt and controversy since his selection to the SMJHL's Kelowna Knights last season, and it is not surprising that the 18-year old is getting sick and tired of it.

"Back when I was first drafted, I let my emotions get the better of me." Kocsis said. "Now, I've matured, I'm stepping into a bigger leadership role for the boys back in Kelowna, and the coaches are asking me to be a role model for the rookies coming in. So yes, I can definitely recreate my rookie season. Yes, I absolutely have a future in the SHL, otherwise I wouldn't be here. And yes, I'm well aware I'm a smaller defenseman, and there are bigger guys out there. They might be bigger than me, but I'm smarter."

When questioned on how much the training camp meant to Kocsis, he responded with a disciplined but emotional answer.

"It means a ton, just to have the opportunity to play competitive, professional hockey in North America." Kocsis responded. "Just being one of the very few Hungarians to jump the ocean and come over is a huge honor for me."

Of course, Kocsis' agent came into the question eventually when questioned on how Kocsis felt about being drafted by the Minnesota Chiefs. It is no secret that Kocsis' agent, former SHL player Isaac Kaiser, had a very public yet unexplained dislike of the Minnesota Chiefs organization. So when Kocsis was drafted by the Chiefs, it was a huge surprise to the majority of the SHL community.

"Listen, whatever is between my team and my agent is none of my concern." Kocsis told media. "It's Kaisey's [Kaiser's] personal business, and I'm in no position to speak on his behalf. If he wants to come out and say why he dislikes them, go for it, but he's made it very clear to me that he's set aside his personal beliefs to help progress my career in a positive direction. If I stay here for the rest of my career, Kaisey has said to me multiple times that he'll support me the entire way. It's a non-factor, end of story."

"I don't like Minnesota," Isaac Kaiser said when questioned on Kocsis' draft team. "But if they want Sanyi and Sanyi wants to play here, then I don't care. I'm here to do my job and make sure Sanyi is put in the best possible position for his career, nothing more."

While it is too early to tell how Kocsis will impact the SHL, and the Minnesota Chiefs, it has been fairly clear from all sides, both management and player alike, that Kocsis will sign an entry-level contract with the Chiefs. The only thing that has yet to be announced is whether or not if the 11th Overall Pick will make the roster, or forego the SHL season and return to Kelowna for another year of development. Whatever the case, Chiefs fans have a player with both attitude and talent to look forward to seeing on the ice.

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Let's get it ! Good stuff

Doubt is a dream killer

Hey do me a favour and make the team this season so I can be on the first pairing in Kelowna Smile

Great article, hope your agent grows to like your new team.

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

12-23-2018, 01:20 PMgoldenglutes Wrote: Hey do me a favour and make the team this season so I can be on the first pairing in Kelowna Smile

u know what rookie

ur sitting pisspot

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]