Create Account

Barry Batsbak a promising talent off to a rough start

This is my first media entry

Barry Batsbak, a talented center for the local Battleford North Stars is eligible to be drafted in this weeks SMJHL. While the competition during this draft is killing, with a lot of new prospects entering the league, many teams will be looking at Barry Batsbak. 

It is not often that a hockey player of Dutch descent makes it this far, which is quite surprising because the Dutch are often praised for their speed skating and field hockey accomplishments. Barry Batsbak grandparents immigrated to Canada 50 years ago coming from the city Enschede, Overijssel to start a farm. 31 years later Barry Batsbak was born, with a Dutch father and Canadian mother he had all the ingredients to become a good hockey player.

Barry Batsbak first few games as a prospect in the upcoming draft have not been what he hoped to be. Having played 15 games with the Stingrays he has 15 points, 7 goals and 8 assist. His plus/minus is 10, which is third best on the team.
Barry Batsbak:”You want to make an impact every game, give it all you got. Just sometimes it’s not enough.”
Barry has been given limited minutes at an avg. of 18 minutes per game, but improvement is showing. The Stingrays are currently holding the number 2 seed in the second conference with 21 points in 15 games and a goal difference of +19. Their 6-1-1 record at home is the best in the tournament.

Game 1: Stingrays vs Mustangs (score 1-6)
In a 6-1 blow-out loss to the Mustangs, Barry started on the first line in his first ever prospect game. Picking up an assist on the powerplay on a Donny McMasters goal late in the third period.

After the game Barry told local media: “It was a rough game, we were one step behind every step of the way and have to improve. Tournament is still young and we’re destined to do better next game”.

Game 2: Breakers vs Stingrays (score 1-7)
The Stingrays shook off the 6-1 loss and showed the Breakers what they are capable of in a 7-1 win. Barry Batsbak showed significantly lower icetime and was held scoreless.

Game 3: Blazers vs Stingrays (score 5-2)
Another scoreless game for Barry Batsbak in a 5-2 loss at Blazers Arena. Though he showed promise in the faceoff dot winning 13 out of 18 faceoffs.

Game 4: Stingrays vs Majors (score 3-7)
Now at a 3 game losing-streak, Barry Batsbak was a +1, but again scoreless winning 15 out of 21 faceoffs. Taking many of them on the penalty kill.

Game 5: Wranglers vs Stingrays (score 2-7)
The Stingrays losing streak came at an end with a 7-2 win against the Wranglers. Barry Batsbak scored his first ever goal for the Stingrays and was a +3. Barry also had increased icetime compared to previous games.
In an interview after the game Barry was asked what it felt like to score his first goal: “It’s always a good feeling to score goals, but more important is that we took the win.”

Game 6: Vipers vs Stingrays (score 4-7)
Barry scored a goal and picked up an assist in a 7-4 win against the Vipers. His first multipoint game of the prospect tournament.

Game 7: Stingrays vs Bighorns (score 6-2)
With 6 shots on net and significant icetime on the powerplay, Barry Batsbak was held scoreless in a 6-2 win over the Bighorns.

Game 8: Stingrays vs Vipers (score 4-3)
Barry had an assist and -2 in a 4-3 win against the Vipers. Barry spent a lot of time on the penalty kill and saw his faceoff percentage drop below .500 for the first time this tournament.

Game 9: Majors vs Stingrays (score 4-5)
In a hard fought battle on Wednesday evening, the Stingrays managed to win in OT by a goal scored from Barry Batsbak 4:23 into OT. Barry’s first game-winning-goal for the Stingrays.

In a postgame locker room interview Barry told the media: “I’m over the moon. What a game! It went up and down and everybody was giving it all. To be able to score the OT winner is an amazing feeling and I hope we can keep this winning streak going for as long as possible.”

Game 10: Stingrays vs Vipers (score 4-1)
The Vipers were caught with too many penalties and paid dearly. The Stingrays took advantage and won 4-1. Barry Batsbak picked up an assist on the powerplay at 2:56 in the second period on a Larry McDavid goal.

Game 11: Stingrays vs Lions (score 8-2)
The Stingrays win streak continued with a 8-2 win against the Lions. Barry Batsbak was a +2 but was held scoreless.

Game 12: Breakers vs Stingrays (score 4-8)
In another win for the Stingrays, Barry scored 2 goals and had an assist in a 8-4 win against the Breakers. Barry was all over the ice, having prime ice time on the powerplay and penalty kill. After the game, Barry was awarded with the first star of the game.

Barry said after the game: “I finally felt like I had everything under control from the get-go. Everything went my way and I want to thank my team for the good result today.”

Game 13: Wranglers vs Stingrays (score 3-2)
In a 3-2 shoot-out loss the win streak came to an end. Barry Batsbak was held scoreless in a very hard game for the Stingrays.

Game 14: Stingrays vs Majors (score 6-9)
In a high scoring game against the Majors, Barry scored his 7th goal of the tournament halfway in the third period. Even though the Stingrays lost, it was a game that everybody would enjoy.

Game 15: Majors vs Stingrays (score 1-3)
Barry Batsbak picked up an assist in a 3-1 win against the Majors and saw only 18 minutes of icetime. Even though it was a win, it was quite the disappointing evening for Barry.

Looking back at Barry’s first 15 games of the tournament he showed great promise, but he’s not quite there yet. He has to improve on his defensive game, while his face-offs are above average.Teams looking for a center in the upcoming draft have their work cut out for them as I think that Barry will be a good fit in most teams looking for a potential great two-way forward.