Create Account

Collin Gibbles - A Mind for the Game

Professor Points- Our continued coverage of local player Collin Gibbles continues

With the SMJHL draft less than a day away we look again towards our ongoing story of a local athelete. Collin "Professor" Gibbles, formerly Captain of the GR Giants Club in the Mitten League, has been turning heads in the SMJHL Prospect Showcase. Assigned to the Stingrays, Gibbles has shot out of the gate during the showcase to prove he belongs. At the time of writing, 27 games have been played by the Stingrays, amassing a record of 18-7-2. This places them in second overall just behind the conference rival Lions. As the showcase continues, it seems to be these two teams are shining above all.

During this time Gibbles has begun to put up some impressive numbers on the Stingray's second offensive line. Leading the Showcase in Assists with 31 across 27 games, The Professer is living up to his moniker. His vision on the ice has been a major asset in helping his teammates light the lamp. While, never known for his scoring, Gibbles has landed 6 goals(half coming on the power play) during the showcase to add to his point total of 37. This puts him at the top of the Stingrays and #3 in the Showcase so far. We here at the Gazette are thrilled to see local talent topping the charts.

We reached out to Gibbles for comment on his experiences so far.

"It's been nice to get back to playing the game I love. I wasn't expecting much from the showcase other than getting some good looks at the other draftees but our team has been rocketing forward. Thankfully Petr and Stevie have been great linemates and we are finding some good chemistry together. I'm hoping we can land on the same team and keep a good thing going." -Collin Gibbles, SMJHL Prospect

Speaking of linemates, Gibbles seems to have found a major connection with fellow prospect Steve Yzerman Jr. Being dubbed the 1-2 Gut Punch, the duo have combined for an impressive 70 points. Gibbles leads the team in assists while Yzerman leads the team in goals with 17. Fans are esctatic every time the duo touches the ice, knowing they are in for a treat. Word has it some SMJHL GMs's may be looking to make a move to keep the duo together in hopes that they transition their game to the next level.

"I can't help but cheer when I watch him pull the perfect pass out on the ice. Does anyone know if he's single?" Said one enthusiastic fan who did not want to be named.

It seems stocks are high for Gibbles going into the draft. An inside source has told the Gazette that he has met with multiple teams to interview before the draft so far. Interest seems high, but will Gibbles skills translate to the next level? With only a few more games left in the showcase, expect further coverage from the Gazette as we celebrate the great start to this young man's career.

Grant Nugent ~ GR Gazette Hockey Writer

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]