Create Account

[First Article] Jimmy Slothface Looking for Consistency In the Prospect Tournament

Through 27 games of the Season 45 SMJHL Prospect Tournament, the Lions sit atop the overall standings with twenty-two wins and five losses.  One of the only two teams with a positive goal differential, the Lions best the second place Stingrays by almost twenty goals through the tournament's first thirty-six days.  Yet, prospect Jimmy Slothface is still struggling to find the consistency to his game that would help the Lions continue their winning ways.

"I felt like I started the tournament strong," said Slothface, who had five points (two goals, three assists) through the tournament's first four games.  "I felt comfortable, but we were only .500 after those four games.  I think I started pressing a bit after that."  Now sitting atop the standings, the Lions have added twenty wins and only two losses, but Slothface's production has slowed immensely.  Jimmy has tallied nineteen points (eight goals and eleven assists) in the twenty-seven games, but hopes to finish the tournament stronger: "I quickly learned that I'm out there with the best of the best of the SMJHL prospects.  I have less time with the puck and need to make quick decisions.  I needed to step back, and get back to the basics a little bit here."

While the points have come slowly, Slothface is still finding other ways to contribute to the team.  Despite the small sample size and overall volatility of the statistic, Slothface is quietly second on the Lions in plus minus, with a plus eighteen rating (Nanny McShmee, the Lions leading scorer, is on a tear so far this tournament with a healthy plus twenty rating).  Jimmy went on to tell reporters that "although it is frustrating not putting up points for the boys, I'm doing my best defensively and trying to be a responsible teammate."  Slothface further explained, "By being strong defensively I'll have an easier time opening up my offense.  I need to stay patient and the points will come."  But Jimmy isn't letting this weigh him down.  "Sure  I would love to be the leading scorer for the tournament, but the most important thing is that the Lions are at the top of the standings."  Slothface knows he needs to contribute in all aspects on the ice, and right now that is an emphasis on his defense.

With fourteen more days left in the tournament there is still time for Slothface to find his offensive game.  Jimmy hopes to catch the eye of the SMJHL GM's with his hard work and dedication to the Lions.  The Lions' next opponents are the Wranglers who are currently fourth in the standings.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]