Create Account

How They Got There: Stampede Edition
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2019, 10:01 AM by Mavfatha.)

After cheating and starting with my own team (see here) I'm just going to go down the rest of the way in order. That gives us the Buffalo Stampede up next, with their impressive group of S38-S40 players on the rise and supplementing the remaining veterans of the club. Let's see how this team came together:

(S31) D - Alexis Metzler - TPE: 1,630

Metzler started his career with the then Portland Admirals after being selected 13th overall in his draft class. He signed a 3 year deal with the team... and then got traded to Buffalo just 5 days later in what seems to have been a hot topic deal, with the Admirals receiving Marc Leclerc, Isaac Kaiser, and a 2nd rounder in return. He would go on to extend with the club for 6M per season from S34 - S36, follow that up with the same terms in S37 + S38, before finally really committing to the Stampede from S39 - S45 that brought in a cool 44 million dollars in total.

(S32) LW - Luke Atmey - TPE: 1,548

Luke Atmey was a highly regarded prospect when entering the SHL draft, and went 3rd overall in back-to-back picks by the Steelhawks that also saw Kyle Kylrad join the club. I'm not sure if it was on Hamilton's end or on Luke's, but whichever the case there seemed to be some lack of commitment, as Luke continued to only sign 1 year deals for 4M per season starting with his rookie contract and going through S36. Hamilton decided enough was enough and sent him and a 2nd rounder to Manhattan for their at the time 5th overall pick (more on that pick in a bit) and Blake Sherill. After joining the Rage, Luke would continue to only sign 1 season contracts (now at 6M per season). This lasted through S42, when he was sent to Buffalo for a huge haul that included a first rounder, 2 3rd rounders, and four other players. He has continued to sign with Buffalo these past few seasons on similar deals.

(S33) C - Viktor Vorkämpfer - TPE: 1,087

The season after Luke Atmey was taken 3rd overall, Viktor followed in his footsteps, though I guess he was technically 2nd due to the actual 2nd overall pick being forfeited. Viktor has remained with Buffalo since coming into the league, and earned himself a massive payday during S40 and S41, coming in at 7M per season. Since then he's taken largely team-friendly 1 season deals in the 4M to 5M range.

(S33) D - Charles Walker - TPE: 1,459

At 12th overall, NEW selected a Walker... but it sadly wasn't this one. The Wolfpack took Michael Walker, while Charles lasted all the way until the Stampede snagged him at pick 39 in round 3. He's earned himself steady pay raises since then: 3M for his first 2 seasons, 3M for 3 seasons after that, and 5M all the way through the present and to the end of S46. Not much else of note other than some very particular no trade clauses that prevented him from going to the rage from S41-S43 and from Toronto from S44 through S46.

(S35) G - Jordin FourFour Jr. - TPE: 997

Having traded away their first round selection and forfeited their second, Jordin was the first person drafted to Buffalo in S35 with the 29th overall pick. The guy got 6.5M as a rookie! That's more than a lot of people get their first 3 years combined. He went on to make bank with the club for several more seasons in the 6M or 7M per season range, before settling down into taking HTD's for the team and/or otherwise cheap deals starting with S41.

(S36) C - Oliver König - TPE: 1596

Remember that 5th overall pick I mentioned back on the blurb about Atmey? The pick was actually used on Oliver here, and then both of the key pieces from that trade would wind up in Buffalo down the line. Oliver made 3M per season for his first 6 years with Hamilton, before signing a 4M per season contract with the team that started in S42 and extends through S49. That contract had my new favorite clause: the Abosulte (@"ThatDamnMcJesus" you butchered that one) Unit Clause that would supply 500 lbs of chicken nuggets to Oliver each season. Oliver just recently arrived in Buffalo, having been part of a 3 way trade before the season; other notable pieces involved Flacko Lagerfield and Cash Savage going to Seattle and Alexander Zajac going to Hamilton along with a Platoon 1st rounder.

(S38) LW - Kevin Hamilton - TPE: 1233
(S38) RW - Nico Grøss - TPE: 921
(S38) C - Dermot Lavelle - TPE: 1,444
(S38) LW - TJ Bayley - TPE: 1,128
(S38) D - Quick Mafs - TPE: 650

These guys are all grouped together because they were all from the same draft class and all largely panned out for the club. Nico was the first one taken at 6th overall; it's hard to call that TPE total a disappointment but I'm sure they expected more out of him. Kevin Hamilton was next at 11th overall. He's been a strong success story for the team, and I really appreciated the clause in his rookie deal that forced the team to call him up and play him at least 14.5 minutes per game if he had 400 TPE by the start of S39 (@kckolbe did you get there?). Dermot Lavelle went right after Hamilton at 12th overall and has been a crazy TPE earner since then. He quickly outplayed his 2M per season rookie deal and has made 6M+ since. TJ Bayley was the next Stampede draftee of the class and came to the team at pick 21. Bayley has been a strong earner for the team and taken some pretty cheap deals, starting at 1M for a season, then 2M for 3 more, and finally up to 4M since. Finally we have Quick Mafs, taken 26th overall by the team. While not as impressive as his peers it's hard to expect much more out of that pick, and he's always taken 3M or less out of the team's budget.

(S38) D - Tatu Mäkelä - TPE: 1,435

So as far as I can tell, Tatu was part of the S38 draft. I think he was also GM of the team at the time, so they should've just been required to use a pick on him and that's that. I'm not sure what kind of weirdness went on but he appears to have gone completely undrafted and then ended up with Buffalo anyways? Other than that tidbit that I am personally unable to account for and his also impressive amount of TPE, not much to say about Tatu.

(S39) D - Fredrich Koenig - TPE: 883
(S39) LW - Viktor Marius - TPE: 1,355

These were the success stories of the S39 draft for Buffalo. Koenig went 2nd overall but was actually the first player taken due to a forfeiture. He was doing well for a few seasons before mostly disappearing towards the end of S43. He's somewhat returned to the site since then but has yet to improve Koenig further. Marius on the other hand has stuck with it and really upped his game. Definitely something of a steal at 15th overall in his class. His post-rookie contract was for 4M a season and included both a NTC and free head rubs for his puppy, while he took a HTD for the club for his current contract that just began and runs through S47.

(S39) D - Fjorm Lyeskov
(S39) RW - Konstantin Kostoyevskiy - TPE: 231
(S39) G - Kyle Davis - TPE: 176
(S39) LW - Finn McCool - TPE: 192

These members of the S39 class were much less successful than the 2 above. Konstantin was the only one actually drafted by the team, at 57 overall. Fjorm and Kyle were signed as IFA's several seasons back as pure roster filler I'm sure. Finn is at least somewhat more interesting as there is no record of him in transactions until S44, when he signed a deal with Manhattan. After that season he was picked up by Buffalo for the current season.

(S40) C - Conor McGregor - TPE: 862

Conor was the first overall pick by Buffalo in S40. Continuing something of a sad tradition for the team, he ended up going inactive and under-performing TPE-wise compared to another player picked by the team in the later rounds. Maybe Buffalo just needs to trade back when they get early picks since they've had such good fortune in the 2nd round and later.

(S40) D - Gottlieb-Odilo-Dankward McZehrl - TPE: 1154

Falling all the way to pick 31 of his draft, GOD McZehrl has proven himself the steal of the draft by far, out-earning every other player drafted that season. My fellow German had to work hard to catch up to the already established defensive group here that includes Tatu, Walker, and Metzler, and he pulled it off with flying colors. Also still on a team-friendly deal of 3M per season through the end of the current campaign.

That's it for the Stampede, so let's take a look at the full breakdown of how they all got here.

As you can see, this club was build up heavily through the draft, and have had great success in the later rounds in particular. They did have to trade for a few of their older pieces, but really they could afford to do so. And seriously, what happened with Tatu?

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

01-03-2019, 10:00 AMMavfatha Wrote: As you can see, this club was build up heavily through the draft, and have had great success in the later rounds in particular. They did have to trade for a few of their older pieces, but really they could afford to do so. And seriously, what happened with Tatu?
Head GM's get auto picked , you don't have to spend any draft pick on them. Only Co-Gm's that have spent 3 seasons with the team as GM need to be picked with the earliest 2nd rounder the team posses.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Put some respect on Charles Walker’s name ty

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Tatu was auto-drafted in Season 38, I just didn’t spend a random 5th round pick to draft myself like some other GM’s do with their players lol

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

01-03-2019, 11:07 AMTomen Wrote:
01-03-2019, 10:00 AMMavfatha Wrote: As you can see, this club was build up heavily through the draft, and have had great success in the later rounds in particular. They did have to trade for a few of their older pieces, but really they could afford to do so. And seriously, what happened with Tatu?
Head GM's get auto picked , you don't have to spend any draft pick on them. Only Co-Gm's that have spent 3 seasons with the team as GM need to be picked with the earliest 2nd rounder the team posses.

01-03-2019, 12:14 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Tatu was auto-drafted in Season 38, I just didn’t spend a random 5th round pick to draft myself like some other GM’s do with their players lol

TIL, thanks, too used to PBE rules

love these posts... +1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

@WannabeFinn was literally the reason why stampede stopped being bad. Nothing else matters tbh man deserves credit

Doubt is a dream killer

01-03-2019, 06:32 PMsarmo Wrote: @WannabeFinn was literally the reason why stampede stopped being bad. Nothing else matters tbh man deserves credit

No it me an zombie tyvm

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

01-03-2019, 06:34 PMkit Wrote:
01-03-2019, 06:32 PMsarmo Wrote: @WannabeFinn was literally the reason why stampede stopped being bad. Nothing else matters tbh man deserves credit

No it me an zombie tyvm

Lol I agree yes you guys are very classy and important

Doubt is a dream killer

The 37-38 and 39-45 contracts were the same deal, btw. Otherwise, good article.

The team was better, briefly, in S35-S36; arguably even more stacked than it is now. We just got screwed by STHS, as ever, and didn't convert that talent into any playoffs results at all.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

01-03-2019, 07:59 PMAvakael Wrote: The 37-38 and 39-45 contracts were the same deal, btw. Otherwise, good article.

The team was better, briefly, in S35-S36; arguably even more stacked than it is now. We just got screwed by STHS, as ever, and didn't convert that talent into any playoffs results at all.

http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.p...ht=Metzler

My sources say otherwise Wink

STHS is certainly a fickle mistress though, sorry to hear that

01-03-2019, 06:40 PMsarmo Wrote:
01-03-2019, 06:34 PMkit Wrote: No it me an zombie tyvm

Lol I agree yes you guys are very classy and important

Yes

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

@Mavfatha I did get there with room to spare, and got 18.19 AMG, which increased to 22 AMG in S40. I severely underestimated how desperate they were for forwards. I was kicking ass until I went inactive for a couple of seasons, and am now a semiactive.

01-04-2019, 09:48 AMMavfatha Wrote:
01-03-2019, 07:59 PMAvakael Wrote: The 37-38 and 39-45 contracts were the same deal, btw. Otherwise, good article.

My sources say otherwise  Wink

STHS is certainly a fickle mistress though, sorry to hear that
oh my bad, I screwed the dates up. Good job Tongue

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]