Create Account

S45 SMJHL PT 1 - Team Bonding

Written as a news outlet asking Scarecrows GM and recently Edmonton-bound Joe Kurczewski:

First Question: What was the first indication last year that gave you that feeling that you were going to win the 4-Star Cup?

Joe: "The first indication I had last year was just how many veterans we had coming back to us. I knew the entire preseason we should’ve been considered heavy favorites. When you have players like Pedersen Jr, Taylor, Williams, Freeman, Moyer, Rytmyer, Smithers, Maple, and of course Cain coming back after making the finals and losing it, I just knew we’d have a dedicated team that would win it all."

Second Question: How was your experience at the GM/scouting table at this last SMJHL draft? How did you handle the chaos of so many prospects?

Joe: "The experience was insane. I still (somehow) was able to reach out to every single prospect. Not all of them got back to me, which was a blessing in disguise. The ones that did I had a great talk with at length about hockey, life, whatever. Those players ended up higher on my scouting board, and it afforded me the ability to take future league stars like Michael Fox and Gordie Boomhover. I took a chance on a few other soon to be superstars like Jeff Bazinet and Alekski Leskinen, and I think it’s going to pay off handsomely for us."

Third Question: Any exciting young prospects coming up from the Joe K school of hockey in the forseeable future, in addition to your SHL career and GMing career?

Joe: "I don’t have time to worry about training future prospects right now. I just got traded to Edmonton and I’m busier than ever with learning the new team and still running the Scarecrows. I also have some other things in the works too, so right now my own career is more important than training someone else for theirs. It’ll be a while before that happens."
Scarecrows Scarecrows Scarecrows

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

I got to talk to Anaheim Outlaws goalie Mike Hunt!

1. What's your favorite part of being a goalie?
Being a cocky prick in the draft class with casimir also all my stats are really easy to find and although I dont score the points I'm integral to the team and if we win together i know i put in just as much work as those guys who scored the game winners

2. What do you expect from the Outlaws in S45, S46, and S47?
S45 I have faith in us I expect us to cause an uproar I dont expect to win but if we keep working hard I expect us to land in the middle beating some of the old teams and getting some hate for it S46 if none of us get called up we should be a top notch team looking to win the cup with all our rookies then nearing the cap and getting some new stars to mentor on the way s47 will be the sad year I imagine we may get just as great a draft but with such great players i imagine most of you will for sure be pulled up by 47

3. You've already started to make a name for yourself around the league as a force to be reckoned with. Does this put the pressure on you, or do you need that to keep going?
Pressure sure pressure is good but as long as I stay competitive with some of the recreate goalies that I have no business being near then I feel like with a name going around its gonna be higher highs and lower lows if I start flunking the season I might start seeing articles come out about my garbage performance but seeing yourself mentioned and knowing people know your name makes reading the media all the more fun

I asked Militia winger Willy Mack a few questions.

What's your favorite part of the MTL discord?
SMJHL discords are great to meet the brand new people on the site. I like Montreal for that and just a second locker room to talk to recreates from other SHL teams.
How do you think the team will preform this year?
Four Star Cup champions.
What is your goal for your player?
I want to win the most Challenge Cups of all time

[Image: sour_chin_music.gif]

[Image: HoJ50Az.png][Image: bbtqOQr.png]
Gif sig by Gillon
Other sig by ml

I asked Kylrad a few questions about Daniel Smeb

Whats is your main goal for your rookie SMJHL season?
To win the cup and have the most points of any smeb
Why did you choose hockey over the more traditional e-sports?
my favourite characters kept getting weaker and it made me rage quit and go to hockey, at least the SHL cant make me weaker, unless they ruin the equipment I use, i guess
How does it feel being separated from Kit Smeb?
theres some sadness since he was a good part of our line growing up, but he was also the most annoying Smeb so its not that bad i can have some sanity now

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

asked my favorite Colorado alum, @wumaduce

1. What is your favorite part about having your own tiny bean?

>Gotta be the mornings. He's so awake and happy and wiggly and squirmy. The weekends are my favorite because I get to lay in bed with him as he's doing his thing.

2. What do you do in your free time?

>I'm a dad, I don't have free time any more. When he's sleeping I play random cell phone games, or maybe some Xbox.

3. Dream SHL job?

>A grader of some sort. Graphics, probably. But after that would be a GM role.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019, 03:36 PM by Lynxfire.)

Hi I interviewed @ml002 for this

1) How long have you been playing in the SHL and are you a current member or alumni of the Anchorage Armada?    

I've been playing in the SHL since S38 and I'm an alumni of the now Anchorage Armada (was the Prince George Firebirds when I played in the J)

2) What is your favorite thing about the Armada (people, history, etc)?       

The people are the best. I think the team does a great job of bringing open-minded and fun personalities that just make it a great place to play.

3)  What position is your current player and why did you choose that? Any other interesting facts about your player?    

I am winger and I chose it because most of my favorite players IRL are wingers. A fun fact about my player is he was the only forward taken in the first round of the S39 SHL Draft.

4) Why are the Armada uniforms the best?

The Armada uniforms are great because they do an amazing job of having plenty of personality without feeling cluttered. Plus the alternates look great with the combo of the flag of Anchorage and the camo blue and yellow.

[Image: Rq2Dtaw.png]  [Image: Anchorage.png]  [Image: PPpK5xb.png]

[Image: vE2xRO8.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019, 03:55 PM by karlssens.)

1) Through 33 games the Knights have a pre-season record of 15-12-6. While not the best, it's good for 5th overall in the SMJHL. Your play in particular is a large reason why as you lead the team with 37 points. Can we expect a similar level of play from you in the regular season or is there another level yet to be uncovered?
I'm just getting started. I think I should play similar to how I have so far, but I might be able to reach another level if our rookies keep improving like they already have. Either way, expect a big season from not only me but Klaus and Kocsis as well.

2) After one of the largest drafts in SMJHL history the Kelowna cubboards are once again filled with promising young prospects. Through training camp which new Knight has made the most impactful change from the viewpoint of the returning core players?
I'd have to say either Guy Zheng or Karlstraße Scholz. Both rookie defensemen have stepped up big time to help Sanyi Kocsis carry what was a very weak blueline last season. We're done the preseason now and both had solid performances each and every night even if they didn't show up on the scoresheet on that particular night.

3) With regular season quickly approaching where do you see the Knights finishing? Who is the team to beat and what will the Knights need to do to overcome them?
I think that as long as we keep training hard and play the best we can every game we can surprise some people and finish around 5th overall. Vancouver looks scary with quite a few returnees that can light up the scoreboard but like I said before, as long as we play our hardest and keep training we can compete with any team in the league.

Thanks for the interview @Jepox [Nolan Sawchuk].

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

I shot a few questions at the captain himself, Willy Mack:

1. Alright, first off - as the captain of the team and a well respected member of the LR, is there any tips you can give a young gun on succeeding in both the competitive and having fun aspect of the sim league?
Don't burn yourself out, start slowly. Don't rush in to take a bunch of jobs on the site too quickly because it might end up being more work than fun. Don't worry so much about what the other players in your draft class are doing. Just keep updating  yourself and watch as many of them fall off and you rise up the charts.  Also if you happen to want a break, that's fine lots of people needs breaks! Don't feel bad about it at all and don't feel like you're letting anyone down. Sometimes people don't want to come back because they think their team will be mad at them for leaving but the opposite is true, they will just be so happy to see you active again.

2. When you first started playing, what was your LR experience like? Are there any specific experiences you think would benefit me or other new players?
When I first started I had an amazing junior locker room and was part of a big reddit draft so it was active. Back then discord wasn't nearly as popular and people still posted a lot on the actual forums. Now the league is different with discord being so popular. I think most of the best discords are the SHL teams so you if you find yourself in a less active SMJHL LR just wait until you get to the SHL! Try and make friends with people because winning is so much better when you have people to share it with.

3. Lastly - and most importantly - what do you think will be the ultimate reason for the Four Star Cup landing in Montreal when all is said and done for the season?
Well Montreal has a very deep line up this season and we aren't missing any key pieces. Last year had a couple big holes and couldn't make our lines work. This SMJHL league is very deep now and to win you really need studs in your bottom 6 as well as the top 6. I feel like some of our best rookies will be updating all season and come playoffs their builds will be even better. I love these guys and would love to win it all so we always have this memory to look back on.

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]

[Image: f7Sn74Q.png]
[Image: G7pWGHR.png]

I sat down with my new co-assistant captain for the Raiders, Perry Morgan @"owenm43", to ask him some questions so the Halifax fans can get to know one of their newest defensemen and what makes him who he is:

What do you hope to accomplish in your first season?

Perry: "Mainly get as close to the 350 cap as possible, and be more active outside of the Halifax LR"

Where are you from in real life?

Perry: "Currently near Birmingham, UK"

What is your favourite part about the SHL so far?

Perry: "Definitely the Halifax LR, a real nice bunch of friendly people in there"
(good answer!)

Who is your favourite hockey player of all time?

Perry: "Only relatively recently a hockey fan so my knowledge is small, but John Gibson is an absolute monster"

Have you seen anyone on our team flip any cars?

Perry: "Flip cars? What? Of course not? We're too busy practicing to flip cars..."

What is your favourite food?

Perry: "Favourite food is probably Subway, steak+cheese is the single best sub dont @ me"

[Image: RPLC-sandwich-SteakCheese-594x334.jpg]

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Q&A with Olivier Cloutier and Johnny Sins:

We only just moved to Anchorage, but is there anything you're particularly excited to do or see here?

I am looking forward to seeing the mountains. I plan on doing a lot of hiking and enjoying the outdoors.

Any older teammates you're excited to play with? Rookies you like playing with best? (wink wink, nudge)

Only you Olivier of course.

What do you like to do for fun that's not hockey related?

I like to golf, hike, and play softball. I try to do anything to keep active. I might start hunting as well. I also spend a lot of time at the bars partying.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

I too sat down with my fellow rookie, and assistant captain Jimmy Slothface to get to know him better ahead of the upcoming season.

"How did you get into supporting your NHL team? The Red Wings right?" 
My dad is from Detroit, he moved out to California after college, so he raised me as a fan of all the Detroit sports teams.

"What's your favourite sporting event that you've attended?"
When I was living in Hungary I went to a soccer match for the 2008 Euro qualifiers with Hungary versus Bosnia. I don’t know much about soccer, but the atmosphere from the train ride from Budapest to the walk to the stadium with all the fans was so much fun.  The crowd sang and chanted the whole match I had a blast.

"How far do you think Jimmy can go?"
I think he can play for many seasons in the SHL, I just have to keep improving my character and stick with it.

"How far do you think the current Raiders team can do?"
I think we have a great locker room and can become a force in the second half of the season, we are all very dedicated to getting better and the results are going to start coming.

Thanks Sloth!

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

I sat down with the Raiders' 2nd round pick and alternate captain. The man, the myth, the legend. Perry Morgan

Q1: How did you end up at the scene of a flipped car outside of a Halifax bar?
A: I remember celebrating being drafted, drinking a metric shit tonne of alcohol, and then blacking out. Nothing about a flipped car...

Q2: How do you feel about the Raiders locker room? Has it helped you develop as a player or as a person? (yeah it's technically 2 questions in one, fight me)
A: For sure, King drafted a great bunch of guys and I think we'll all bounce off of each other and push each other to improve.

Q3: What do you hope to accomplish once you're in the SHL?
A: A challenge cup is, of course, the dream, maybe team management could be an option further down the line too.

Big Walter Ulrich
S69 Prospect

Interviewed Ofer aka Parker Smeb

1) How do you feel about being drafted to the Raptors with brothers Daniel, CHico, and Steve Craig?
Getting to play with the Smebs was something I always dreamed about. It's unfortunate that Kit Smeb was drafted elsewhere but at the same time it's more fun to beat up on Detroit anytime we play them.

2) Being a veteran member, how do you feel about the current state of the SMJHL?
I think there's positives and negatives to it. I think there's definitely improvements to be made to the overall junior system and I've talked with various Korean outlets about them but ultimately if change happens it will likely not happen until I'm already out of juniors. Overall I'd like to see more of a focus on rookies in the SMJHL.

3) What are your goals for the near future (this season, SHL draft, next season)?
First goal is to find a way to myself into the top six and PP by the end of the season. Second goal is to get drafted higher than I did in the SMJHL, given that I fell to 65th overall I think this is very do-able. Second goal

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

NSFL PT

[Image: wHACKER.png]

I had the pleasure to do this task with my teammate Andrej Doskocil (@citizen of adraa)

[Image: andej.jpg]

Question 1:
What would be your favourite Job if you wrent a Pro in the SHL

I would like being a racing driver, ideally open wheelers.

Question 2:
3 Things you wantt to take with you on an lonesome island

Shovel, a fire starter, and probably an axe. Sounds reasonable, but boring (I want to live ok)

Question 3:
Recipe of your favourite BBQ Meal

Honestly, just grill me some mushrooms and I will purr like a kitten.

Question 4
Greatest Sports Moment besides Hockey

Charles Leclerc. Just entirety of him. Kid is absolutely insane and still humble as fuck, its amazing. If it has to be one moment, just throw in Sofia Florsch in Macau. That was insane and she didnt even get hurt that much

Question 5:
Vacations Mountains or Beach?

Beach. I am lazy, and its also, at least for me, nicer there anyway.

[Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png][Image: image.png]